Samsung Galaxy S4 vs LG Optimus G Pro
Samsung has added a lot of neat features to its latest TouchWiz Nature interface, and while not all of them will be useful, some are definitely good to have. LG, on the other hand, has also worked on its software experience lately, making it more customizable and feature-rich, but in our opinion, Samsung's software is superior all things considered. Both in terms of pure handling, user experience, and custom features.
The Android version in the Galaxy S4 is also newer than that in the Optimus G Pro, as Samsung's flagship is running Android 4.2.2, while the G Pro has Android 4.1.2, which is still OK, when you think about it.
Internet and Connectivity
Both handsets are incredibly proficient when it comes to web browsing. The Optimus G Pro does have a slight edge when it comes to reading, as its bigger screen makes things a bit more easier on the eyes. The custom browsers of both smartphones are quite good, although we tend to prefer the Samsung one more, as it seems to be a bit more polished in terms of the whole user experience.
The Optimus G Pro is yet to come to the global and U.S. markets, but you can be sure that when this happens, it's going to have LTE. The same thing goes for the Galaxy S4, and overall, both handsets are packed with a full range of connectivity features, but hey, if you've ever fancied controlling your TV using your phone, the Galaxy S4 should be your choice as it also has an IR blaster, which allows you to do just that.
Processor and Memory
The Galaxy S4 and Optimus G Pro will be using the same chipset in most markets, which is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600. In some markets, though, the GS4 will have the Exynos 5 Octa CPU, which is expected to be even faster.
Both handsets perform very well, though the Snapdragon 600-powered Galaxy S4 does manage to achieve better scores in the benchmarks than its competitor, hinting that its software might be better optimized as a whole. Imagine what the GS4 with Exynos 5 Octa is going to do!
When it comes to storage space, the Galaxy S4 is a bit more versatile, as it comes in 16, 32 and 64GB versions, while the Optimus G Pro is only available with 32GB of internal storage. Both handsets sport a microSD card slot for memory expansion, which is much appreciated.
Higher is better
Higher is better
GFXBench Egypt HD 2.5 onscreen (fps)
Higher is better
Higher is better
Vellamo HTML 5
Higher is better
4. Diego! (Posts: 624; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Agreed. LG's copycat is just that, a copy :P
2. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
On some websites I saw some statements like "S4's bezel is very very thin but not as thin as LG G Pro"
Now I'm sure that they were wrong.
5. Diego! (Posts: 624; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
The "inner" bezel of LG Optimus G Pro is wider than the one in S4, therefore the whole bezel is bigger (in proportion to the screen that is) in the LG Optimus G Pro than in the Samsung Galaxy S 4.
45. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
It's not surprising to see the Galaxy S4 s**t on the Lg Optimus G pro. My Galaxy Note 2 bitch slaps the Lg Optimus G pro all day long...
59. Jillxz (Posts: 149; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
No they were not wrong. The bezel around the LG is not as wide as the samsung.
3. Kurai (unregistered)
the s4 has a "supreme design"? . . . you said they almost look the same except the the s4 has a rounded corner . . . but i agree with the rest :)
7. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
when comparing Lumia 920 Vs S4...
S4 has large display ... OMG, that's a breaking deal...
G pro has Large Display not a big deal, even smaller screen is more comfortable to use in S4
Both the phone look similar, but still GS 4 is more preferable
You are a true Sammy fan...
8. SleepingOz (unregistered)
S4 has the largest display compared to other smartphones of its size, where as the L920 is not just fat but has a huge bezel, as well!
Also the G Pro is not considered as a regular smartphone but as a phablet.
15. GTR722 (Posts: 261; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Are you forggeting the Xperia ZL samsung fanboy ??
29. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
The zl is smaller dimension wise but mind you its heavier and thicker. Keep your views reserved until you use both of them.The sammy might turn out to be the easier one to handle as only the height is marginally more and the width is negated by difference in thickness. The zl's usable screen estate is also less if you are forgetting that. All this with a way bigger battery makes the samsung a winner. So, who is the fanboy now? Know the background info before you actually term someone as a fanboy. Appreciate better technology if you are on a tech website.
25. iushnt (Posts: 1750; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Let's not forget that s4 has a large display but smaller body /chassis than 920..so larger display in smaller phone is a lot advantage..
10. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 421; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
OMG... did LG think of that design on their own???
42. marioellobo (Posts: 44; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
not they got their own innovation PASTE..
11. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Can We get some Screen-to-Phone Raito numbers, Please?
I know the Sony Xpreia ZL has 75%
I really dislike any kind of unuse bezel.
12. XperiaUser (unregistered)
how you can say "true-to-life display " to Amoled. this display is one of the worst display in terms of true to life lively colors . :@
13. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
u dont even readed the reviews talking about amoled.....sad.
19. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Sony's fans similar behaviors: Blaming S4's saturation without reading anything about the change about screen the latest Samsung flagship, and praise Sony's screen as the best for true colors while don't forget to praise BE2 also which made everything even more saturated than normal Amoled screen, lol.
30. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Another fanboy to deal with. Read the latest reviews and test reports. The new gen amoleds have been tuned very well. Infact they give the user the flexibility to choose between saturated or natural colors. To each his own you know.
This display is true to life because of very good color reproduction, best viewing angles and best contrast.
16. Johnabis (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Feb 2011)
The LG Optimus G pro has an IR blaster as well, This article seems pretty biased.
17. geodude074 (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
"Galaxy S4 easily wins this comparison with its supreme design, screen, better camera quality, as well as way better user experience."
1) "Supreme design?" I CAN HARDLY TELL THE TWO APART!
2) "Screen." The S4 has warmer colors, but the Optimus G Pro has a brighter screen. They come to a draw in this category.
3) "Better camera quality." Pictures/videos look quite similar to me. Once again, a draw.
4) "Way better user experience." Why is the user experience better with the S4? If you were looking for a phablet, then the Optimus G Pro would be the better user experience. If you wanted a smaller screen, then the S4 would not be small enough, since a 5" screen is still HUGE. The S4 may have some new features, but you either love them or never use them.
And the author completely forgot to mention that the Optimus G Pro has a much larger battery capacity at 3140 mAH compared to the S4's 2600 mAH.
A very biased review indeed...
18. ebubekir26 (Posts: 321; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
why don't you talk about speed, S4 has clearly better camera, the new Amoled uses new technoloie, so the colors finally look better and natural now s4 has better screen, also it's 1080p
call quality is better on the s4, and every new S features LG copied are still better in Samsung, LG isn't original anymore... oh and I still prefer Note II over the LG
you're clearly a Samsung hater, so your natural stupid instinct start trolling in Samsung articles
hmm yeah I think this is enough said
55. lpratas (Posts: 329; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Note 2 it isn't nothing compared to LG Optimus G Pro.This LG Phablet has more premium feel and finish because it's all made of glass, Corning Gorilla Glass and it's reinforced in Kevlar at its back, not bezel. What stupidity of the reviewers of Phone Arena site. And LG didn't copied nothing of Samsung, it was Samsung that copied technologies from Lg. LG knows to make their phones without help of no one. Now for Samsung it's placed in a prestigious position already the Samsung fanboys can to bash the competing brands and place them in the trash. The screen technology of this phone it's so good as the technology of the S4 screen. And it has an powerful battery compared with the battery of S4 which it isn't enough for intensive usage like the battery of G Pro. 2600 mAH it's weak for a phone like Galaxy S4, unless 3000 mAH.
20. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
1) Subjective, depends on each other. However, S4 design is very Samsung, and GPro design too. Many people including me do not want a Samsung (Note 2) look with LG branded device. LG has had many good looking devices with different style, not this one.
2) Brighter is not everything. I do not know why PA never tries to bring S4 to outdoor in reality to see how it gets against strong light. Amoled reflects a little, and many people has tested at outdoor S4 and One (which is similar to LG Opt G) are equal. Indoor nobody needs maximum brightness. One GSMarena, they compared GPro to G "The Optimus G Pro screen is a bit more reflective though and it's sunlight legibility is worse."
3) I think you're right when we see the 2x2 inch photos on the article without open them. The difference is obvious man
4) If I want a phablet, I come to Note 2. 5' of screen does not mean it is bigger than other 4.7 or 4.8 inch screen phone. Dell Streak is also 5 inch but it is muchhh bigger than S4 (almost the same as Note2) Look at the picture, OpG Pro is much much bigger phone.
About the battery, bigger capacity does not mean bettery usage.
S4 (S600, Exynos version is even better)http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/rev
23. Saafa (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
thx phone arena :)
but lg model have IR blaster too , plz edit it. 0:-)
24. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I like LG designs. The Prada classy look of the Optimus G was nice. I don't know why they made the pro look like the Note 2. Getting desperate for better sales?
26. R-vjn (Posts: 188; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
''What the GS4 can do, however, is to offer a more true-to-life AMOLED display than LG's IPS LCD''
seriously..???? true-to-life?? & that too amoled..?? AMOLED technology never can bring out true life like colors, period.. they are oversaturated..and lacks the sharpness of the IPS panels..!
And also from all the reviews and comparisons from PA, I can clearly say that this site is heavily biased..SAMSUNG BIASED...! Please PA, try to unbiased..so that readers get the right view about the phones.
& I know I'm gonna get a lot of thumbs down because the samsung fans amount is just too huge...