Samsung Galaxy S4 vs LG Optimus G Pro
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2013, 08:58 posted on
LG has been making some pretty good moves lately, first releasing the notable Optimus G, and more recently the Optimus G Pro – a powerful phablet device with a large 5.5" screen and the Snapdragon 600 processor. However, since LG simply markets the Optimus G Pro as its best smartphone right now, we're just going to go ahead ...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
4. Diego! (Posts: 575; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Agreed. LG's copycat is just that, a copy :P
2. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
On some websites I saw some statements like "S4's bezel is very very thin but not as thin as LG G Pro"
Now I'm sure that they were wrong.
5. Diego! (Posts: 575; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
The "inner" bezel of LG Optimus G Pro is wider than the one in S4, therefore the whole bezel is bigger (in proportion to the screen that is) in the LG Optimus G Pro than in the Samsung Galaxy S 4.
45. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
It's not surprising to see the Galaxy S4 s**t on the Lg Optimus G pro. My Galaxy Note 2 bitch slaps the Lg Optimus G pro all day long...
59. Jillxz (Posts: 149; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
No they were not wrong. The bezel around the LG is not as wide as the samsung.
3. Kurai (unregistered)
the s4 has a "supreme design"? . . . you said they almost look the same except the the s4 has a rounded corner . . . but i agree with the rest :)
7. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
when comparing Lumia 920 Vs S4...
S4 has large display ... OMG, that's a breaking deal...
G pro has Large Display not a big deal, even smaller screen is more comfortable to use in S4
Both the phone look similar, but still GS 4 is more preferable
You are a true Sammy fan...
8. SleepingOz (unregistered)
S4 has the largest display compared to other smartphones of its size, where as the L920 is not just fat but has a huge bezel, as well!
Also the G Pro is not considered as a regular smartphone but as a phablet.
15. GTR722 (Posts: 261; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Are you forggeting the Xperia ZL samsung fanboy ??
29. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
The zl is smaller dimension wise but mind you its heavier and thicker. Keep your views reserved until you use both of them.The sammy might turn out to be the easier one to handle as only the height is marginally more and the width is negated by difference in thickness. The zl's usable screen estate is also less if you are forgetting that. All this with a way bigger battery makes the samsung a winner. So, who is the fanboy now? Know the background info before you actually term someone as a fanboy. Appreciate better technology if you are on a tech website.
25. iushnt (Posts: 1709; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Let's not forget that s4 has a large display but smaller body /chassis than 920..so larger display in smaller phone is a lot advantage..
10. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 421; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
OMG... did LG think of that design on their own???
42. marioellobo (Posts: 44; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
not they got their own innovation PASTE..
11. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Can We get some Screen-to-Phone Raito numbers, Please?
I know the Sony Xpreia ZL has 75%
I really dislike any kind of unuse bezel.
12. XperiaUser (unregistered)
how you can say "true-to-life display " to Amoled. this display is one of the worst display in terms of true to life lively colors . :@
13. Nephylim (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
u dont even readed the reviews talking about amoled.....sad.
19. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Sony's fans similar behaviors: Blaming S4's saturation without reading anything about the change about screen the latest Samsung flagship, and praise Sony's screen as the best for true colors while don't forget to praise BE2 also which made everything even more saturated than normal Amoled screen, lol.
30. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Another fanboy to deal with. Read the latest reviews and test reports. The new gen amoleds have been tuned very well. Infact they give the user the flexibility to choose between saturated or natural colors. To each his own you know.
This display is true to life because of very good color reproduction, best viewing angles and best contrast.
16. Johnabis (Posts: 57; Member since: 17 Feb 2011)
The LG Optimus G pro has an IR blaster as well, This article seems pretty biased.
17. geodude074 (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
"Galaxy S4 easily wins this comparison with its supreme design, screen, better camera quality, as well as way better user experience."
1) "Supreme design?" I CAN HARDLY TELL THE TWO APART!
2) "Screen." The S4 has warmer colors, but the Optimus G Pro has a brighter screen. They come to a draw in this category.
3) "Better camera quality." Pictures/videos look quite similar to me. Once again, a draw.
4) "Way better user experience." Why is the user experience better with the S4? If you were looking for a phablet, then the Optimus G Pro would be the better user experience. If you wanted a smaller screen, then the S4 would not be small enough, since a 5" screen is still HUGE. The S4 may have some new features, but you either love them or never use them.
And the author completely forgot to mention that the Optimus G Pro has a much larger battery capacity at 3140 mAH compared to the S4's 2600 mAH.
A very biased review indeed...
18. ebubekir26 (Posts: 318; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
why don't you talk about speed, S4 has clearly better camera, the new Amoled uses new technoloie, so the colors finally look better and natural now s4 has better screen, also it's 1080p
call quality is better on the s4, and every new S features LG copied are still better in Samsung, LG isn't original anymore... oh and I still prefer Note II over the LG
you're clearly a Samsung hater, so your natural stupid instinct start trolling in Samsung articles
hmm yeah I think this is enough said
55. lpratas (Posts: 311; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Note 2 it isn't nothing compared to LG Optimus G Pro.This LG Phablet has more premium feel and finish because it's all made of glass, Corning Gorilla Glass and it's reinforced in Kevlar at its back, not bezel. What stupidity of the reviewers of Phone Arena site. And LG didn't copied nothing of Samsung, it was Samsung that copied technologies from Lg. LG knows to make their phones without help of no one. Now for Samsung it's placed in a prestigious position already the Samsung fanboys can to bash the competing brands and place them in the trash. The screen technology of this phone it's so good as the technology of the S4 screen. And it has an powerful battery compared with the battery of S4 which it isn't enough for intensive usage like the battery of G Pro. 2600 mAH it's weak for a phone like Galaxy S4, unless 3000 mAH.
20. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
1) Subjective, depends on each other. However, S4 design is very Samsung, and GPro design too. Many people including me do not want a Samsung (Note 2) look with LG branded device. LG has had many good looking devices with different style, not this one.
2) Brighter is not everything. I do not know why PA never tries to bring S4 to outdoor in reality to see how it gets against strong light. Amoled reflects a little, and many people has tested at outdoor S4 and One (which is similar to LG Opt G) are equal. Indoor nobody needs maximum brightness. One GSMarena, they compared GPro to G "The Optimus G Pro screen is a bit more reflective though and it's sunlight legibility is worse."
3) I think you're right when we see the 2x2 inch photos on the article without open them. The difference is obvious man
4) If I want a phablet, I come to Note 2. 5' of screen does not mean it is bigger than other 4.7 or 4.8 inch screen phone. Dell Streak is also 5 inch but it is muchhh bigger than S4 (almost the same as Note2) Look at the picture, OpG Pro is much much bigger phone.
About the battery, bigger capacity does not mean bettery usage.
S4 (S600, Exynos version is even better)http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/rev
23. Saafa (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
thx phone arena :)
but lg model have IR blaster too , plz edit it. 0:-)
24. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I like LG designs. The Prada classy look of the Optimus G was nice. I don't know why they made the pro look like the Note 2. Getting desperate for better sales?
26. R-vjn (Posts: 178; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
''What the GS4 can do, however, is to offer a more true-to-life AMOLED display than LG's IPS LCD''
seriously..???? true-to-life?? & that too amoled..?? AMOLED technology never can bring out true life like colors, period.. they are oversaturated..and lacks the sharpness of the IPS panels..!
And also from all the reviews and comparisons from PA, I can clearly say that this site is heavily biased..SAMSUNG BIASED...! Please PA, try to unbiased..so that readers get the right view about the phones.
& I know I'm gonna get a lot of thumbs down because the samsung fans amount is just too huge...
31. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Read the latest reviews and test reports. The new gen amoleds have been tuned very well. Infact they give the user the flexibility to choose between saturated or natural colors. To each his own you know.
This display is true to life because of very good color reproduction, best viewing angles and best contrast. Not to forget best blacks.
Every website has praised the s4 screen and its the best in the current crop. Update your tech gyan.
34. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
True, and also the colours of the Adobe RGB setting makes it even more accurate than the colours of the iPhone and even the HTC.
36. R-vjn (Posts: 178; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
my god, you have got no idea..I mean, seriously..!
the flexibility to shoose between the different color settings are just a software play.
Before telling me to update my tech gyan, you please read about the technologies used dude, not just reviews if you want to know more about the advantages & disadvantages & also improve your knowledge.
Btw, true blacks are good but not all the time. Under darker areas of a picture, amoleds doesn't show much details but IPS LCD's do.
Just ask yourself, why do photographers use monitors with IPS panels..because they have the best accurate color reproducing capability. And hence they can edit the way they want it, coz pro photographers print them.
I'm a photographer myself btw, not a pro though..!
37. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Technologies Used..Haha! When did I say that the screen tuning or the option to choose the saturation is a hardware feature. Anyone would understand its done using software. And to add to this no amount of software can make LCD or even IPS LCD as vibrant as Amoled's. You haven't used an amoled screen I believe. LCD's are good but right now with the new generation amoled's samsung has an upper hand. You might read the reviews on the net. Most of them declares the sammy as the winner. And you are a photographer? I doubt. Where did you get to know they use only IPS LCD. I for a change use a LED monitor and I know my stuff good. Just don't blabber what you feel like.
And don't tell me to read about tech. If you have any doubts just ask me kiddo. I'll explain them to you. I am a photographer and a software guy. Led is the future know that.
38. R-vjn (Posts: 178; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Making a display vibrant doesn't necessarily mean that the display have 'true to life' colors, I'm talking about the display technology dude..and the ability of them to give out the most accurate colors, and amoleds, lols, its a far way behind..! And the true blacks is one other reason for it, which causes lack of details in darker areas od a video/picture displayed.
Btw, LED monitors are 'LCD with LED backlighting' & the ordinary LCD's are with CCFL lamps. So what I mentioned by 'IPS LCD' display means it can be either ordinary LCD's or LED backlit LCD's..also its evident that nowadays who uses an ordinary LCD's..! lols. And AMOLED is an incarnation of the OLED's, which have its own flaws..over saturation, color degradation over time and burn-in's.
But dude, why you wanna be so rude..! You can tell anyone to 'update tech' and things like that but nothing towards you huh??? C'mon..grow up..! And if you are a photographer and a software guy, then you should be clear about what IPS's panels can deliver..! Its totally evident that you are a sammy fan and I know no matter what I say or what the truth is, you will just say..''ohh, amoled is best, samsung is best...wonderfull beautiful..'' lols..
39. R-vjn (Posts: 178; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
And also, tell me, capability of AMOLED's to deliver pure whites..???
62. evilz13 (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
" And you are a photographer? I doubt. Where did you get to know they use only IPS LCD. I for a change use a LED monitor and I know my stuff good. Just don't blabber what you feel like. "
Just typical comment from those ignorant people, their own sentences justify their stupidity level. Adobe RGB certification that available in monitor currently is only on IPS monitors, but we can't ask those stupid people to go read about tech, because they gonna be pissed off - because thats gonna show they are stupid in the first place. Well, is there any IPS monitor out there? It's only LCD or LED TV, which still using LCD concept with different lighting technology, the IPS is the panel itself which creates the natural & true to life color, why else all the iPhones & iPad using the IPS panel and rated as true-to-life color reproduction all the while?
OGP comes with IR blaster with huge database of devices, also all the easy-to-use & practical-to-use apps on daily basis, their "Q" apps ranges, but nothing been talked about it in this article. And for the stylus, if you have friends with SS Note 2, or happen to be the owner yourself, ask yourself how many times you taking out that damn stylus!!!
I had to agree that this review is a very biased towards Samsung too. Most of the phonearena article biased towards Samsung too (wondering how much they are bribed by Samsung for doing this). My verdict, gsmarena do provide better review - without any bias, so go read the true-to-life review at gsmarena
27. techjunkie15 (Posts: 7; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
I think that this article is very biased... I have nothing against samsung as I own many of their devices and admit that they make very nice top end phones. However, just because they're "samsung" doesn't mean they're automatically better than every phone out there. I've actually had a chance to use the s4 and I'd have to say I wasn't totally wowed with any part of it. Honestly I preferred the htc One over the S4 and I've owned an LG Optimus G before. Touch wiz has gotten old in my opinion and needs some sprucing up... LGs interface isok, not the best, but I don't think touch wiz is much better. All in all I don't think it's fair that the s4 is automatically given the win in every category in this article. Both phones are top end phones and when I get my hands on the pro ill be glad to comment on it.
28. debugger919 (Posts: 25; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
pentile screen is ugly, all you can see are... dots, just like someone put a screening window on the screen.
32. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
You mr, you have never used anything better than a nokia 3310 I believe.
You make yourself a joke when you say such ill informed things. I have used a samsung wave gt8500, galaxy s, galaxy nexus, note 1 and I have never faced any such issues.
33. techjunkie15 (Posts: 7; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Ill admit the s4 does have a much better display than the s3, but thats not to say that its the best. The htc one's super lcd screen takes the amoled out easily. The s4s screen lacks brightness, and sure you can adjust the color saturation and such, but lcds for the most part are ready to go out of the box. In person there's a big difference between amoled and lcd and you'll be able to see it, The lcds are much brighter and have a better nack for clean colors. Amoleds tend to run a little warm on colors vs. the lcds cool colors. I haven't used the pro yet but im assuming the author took the lcds natural appearance to an extreme because it was next to the naturally warm amoled screen.
35. recond9 (Posts: 50; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
I don't really see any reason why you would buy the Optimus.Its too big,and the screen is not that great.Plus the interface is zero compared Touchwiz.If you want a phablet,so far the best chooise in my opinion is still the Note II.
40. samsuper (Posts: 29; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Amoled is already a brilliant screen technology. And still improving its efficiency . With out amoled, I never buy a mobile in feature.
41. marioellobo (Posts: 44; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
the only way is close to the s4 is becouse they copied some features from the s4 otherwise it should be compared to galaxy note2.
43. marioellobo (Posts: 44; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
i think there is a feature that they have'nt copy from samsung the middle finger gesture is free.lol
44. soldier1969 (Posts: 20; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
The Note 3 coming this Fall will blow away the S4. But most will get the S4 anyway cause its the mainstream bandwagon phone. The Note and LG optimus pro g are too big for people and they love to hate on them.
46. puckhead (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
I wish someone could give some examples about what is so great about touchwiz. If its so great why do some many ppl want stock android instead or chose to root and mod these samsung phones? Im also not sure I agree with an amoled diplay being better than the super LCD. Its def not better than apples retina display, only in size.
48. ahmed.safarini (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
if u need a copy don't waste ur money on LG buy a Chinese phone it could be better :P
49. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Galaxy S4 PIMP SLAPS this SILLY Lg Optimus G-Pro. What a fake wanna be Galaxy Note 2
50. puckhead (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
your a samsung fanboy. the problem with the note and galaxy is not everyone wants an amoled display. prob why google chose LG for their newest nexus. LG's screen is gorgeous. if you like an amoled display or think its better thats fine, but not everyone wants that
51. Altheusvital (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 May 2013)
LG seems to focus on distinction in the details...the trees over the forest. My home is lined with Samsung products but this phone is one sexy woman.
The small, flush, multicolored notification around the home button is a cool touch. The fishnet design on the back is a decent bejeweling. Also, the tapering of the brushed metallic stripe edging the phone is much more tastefully subtle than the Note's chrome.. I hate the speaker placement however.
No sPen needed when you can write with your finger or a pen anyway. The camera sports Time Catch, VR panorama, no lag shutter, and a quick camera load time. Then there's eye tracking for reading and video. Then you can photo snatch and zoom video.
I'd get in on Sprint but I don't mind the ATT anchoring. So, it's in the mail today and I'll get the Note 3 later. The only other phone that could touch it is the S4 due to air view and sound caught during taking a photo.
Size matters for video, games, reading, photos, and video calls. Who's actually using minutes on smartphones these days?! When you can palm basketballs, you need a suitably sized phone.
52. neverbuysamsung (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 May 2013)
NEVER BUY SAMSUNG!
SAMSUNG IS COPYCAT
53. lionc (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 May 2013)
when the G Pro is put side by side with the S4
why there is a thick large black bar on the bottom of the screen of G Pro?
look at 360-Degrees View
there are some space below the Phone icon
but the space just disappear and becomes black bar when the G Pro sit next to S4
something wrong with the pictures?
54. chocolazy (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 May 2013)
Why there is a black bar below the icons? So that the LG 5.5" looks like s4 5"?
56. Notsosuperdave (Posts: 29; Member since: 15 May 2013)
i have the LG Intuition, and love my giant phone.
57. Dadler22 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
didnt read anything already know they choose S4
61. Tuxedo (Posts: 346; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Went from GS3 to OGP and I'm really impressed with the OGP. Much smoother UI, a lot better battery life and an SD card drive that actually works!!
Compared to the GS4, the only real advantages the GS4 has over the OGP is the newer Android 4.2.2 and Wireless AC. In terms of value for the money, the OGP for $50 (on contract) takes the win IMO.