Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One
Both smartphones come with Android Jelly Bean, but the GS4 has an edge as it features the very latest version, 4.2.2, out of the box, while the One is initially equipped with 4.1.2. That doesn't mean that HTC One users will be missing much in terms of Android features, but the more important thing is the vast difference between the custom user experiences found on both devices.
HTC and Samsung have worked hard to create new features, which they hope to attract the attention of customers with, however, they have once again gone in completely different directions. On the HTC One we have the new BlinkFeed interface, which takes center stage in the new UI. Think a Flipboard kind of interface used to display stuff like news and updates from your social networks. Besides BlinkFeed, you can also have a typical Android UI with icons and widgets.
The Galaxy S4 has a refined version of last year's TouchWiz Nature UX, which is one of the best Android UIs out there. It's a typical Android style interface, with multiple pages, icons and widgets, but it's an especially well-crafted piece of software that runs fluidly and offers numerous unique features like Multi-Window and Smart Stay. To cut a long story short, the Galaxy S4 offers more features and goodies than the HTC One, but it's safe to say that HTC has polished its offerings a bit more, so it's once again up to the user to decide if they prefer the versatility of the Galaxy S4 or the fewer, but more refined offerings in the HTC One.
The HTC One has a slightly smaller screen, but its on-screen QWERTY keyboard has a somewhat better layout, as typing on it feels a bit easier compared to the cramped keyboard of the GS4. The GS4's keyboard as a whole is quite spacious, after all there's a big 5” screen, but the keys are too many and are a bit small for our taste. Meanwhile, there's practically no space between the keys of the HTC One, but that makes them bigger. In the end, you can get a wonderful typing experience with each device, as you can always use a customizable third-party keyboard.
Processor and Memory
The Galaxy S4 comes in two versions – one with Snapdragon 600 CPU and one with Exynos 5 Octa CPU, depending on the market. We're testing the one with Snapdragon 600, which is the same chipset in use by the HTC One as well. Both devices are armed with 2GB of RAM and the Adreno 320 GPU, and both run perfectly smoothly, as you would expect from cutting-edge smartphones these days.
The HTC One comes in 32 or 64 GB flavors, with no option to expand that storage through a microSD card. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S4 is once again being more versatile by coming in 16, 32 and 64 GB versions, all of which featuring a microSD card slot for even more storage.
Higher is better
HTC One 12481
Samsung Galaxy S4 12078
Higher is better
HTC One 23308
Samsung Galaxy S4 24701
GFXBench Egypt HD 2.5 onscreen (fps)
Higher is better
HTC One 31
Samsung Galaxy S4 39
Higher is better
HTC One 781
Samsung Galaxy S4 704
Vellamo HTML 5
Higher is better
HTC One 2395
Samsung Galaxy S4 1702
164. cloud_atlas1991 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
GS4'S CAMERA IS TOTALLY WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
169. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
hahaha the comparison and the rcently held blind comparison says otherwise :)
171. asteala8 (Posts: 17; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Are you daft? The blind comparison clearly showed the only one better is the iphone... htc failed miserably in the blind test.
174. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
ddnt u undrstand my comment?
33. _Bone_ (Posts: 2135; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Agreed. May be controversial, but I don't think the GS4 looks bad next to HTC's beauty at all. Roughly the same size and curves, more screen, less premium feel, probably different in the hand but neither can be knocked for the looks, the question is built quality.
Time for a drop test! :)
41. jinxed (Posts: 107; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
drop test?? y u use ur phone to play yo yo?!
123. AnTuTu (Posts: 892; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
I would say both of them are great smartphones ever in the history so far.
I would pick S4 on HTC only because of its software features and support here. But would definitely buy HTC One if I get some extra cash.
Hats off to you HTC and Samsung for these devices. Thanks
114. rizevnarastek (Posts: 330; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Biast PA trying their best do make HTC's camera look horrid :S
136. SleepingOz (unregistered)
First, it's "biasED" and no they're not..
GSMArena came to the same conlusion!
Guess which one won the battle.. =3
142. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
even in low-light conditions, samsung did a great job on optimizing Sony's exmor sensor
htc one got the loud sounds, but s4 handles the noise better..
PA said htc one's display is superior than gslaxy s4, gsmarena says otherwise, galaxy s4 has better viewing angles accdg to gsmarena..
yesterday im not sure if iLL pick s4 or htc One..
today im desperate to have the s4 :D i really really want it!!!!
153. SleepingOz (unregistered)
GSMArena actually did a more detailed test, so you can't go wrong with their conclusions.
242. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
Yeah i find this one Biased too. Many reviews and tech sites find GS4 Better and Advanced than HTC ONE. Even in real life, many people loves GS4 even those who has HTC ONE.
38. MrJerry (Posts: 396; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
And you know what?
GS4 will be even better than this by finalizing its software in a month...
And the true GS4 version with Octacore Cpu + PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU is coming soon..
232. smutty.puppet (Posts: 24; Member since: 24 Apr 2013)
what about the s4 most prominent feature, S Lag? you didn't know about octa-core problems?!!
234. yadu004 (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
it has been rectified in the software patch (have been the user of the exynos version).
77. xvasek (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Unfortunately no. Look to Androidauthority...
Know anyone if is HTC ONE able record 1080p 60 fps?
147. TempUse (Posts: 5; Member since: 21 Mar 2013)
Samsung fanboys believe even 90 fps on S4. what a pity!
40. cmatej000 (Posts: 13; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
I would choose HTC design packed with S4 inside :D
42. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
guys dont fight, i want both even thou im a samsung fan because they really made big in android with s2, s3 and notes that pushed hardware & software limits and wowed us and thats why Sony, HTC, LG & others are now doing their best to come with the best devices around.. stop the hate,
let's wait for other review sites,,
my dream device>
a polycarbonate body. but more on htc one X style for back, front>galaxy s4 style.. dont want aluminum and glass, they had the most undesirable disadvantages..
Xperia UI with the polished features of HTC One and all Touchwiz Features and everything abt Galaxy software..
Boomsound but make the speaker grills smaller so the phone wont b tall
camera>galaxy but if possible pureview :D
replcble battry, microSD
w/ the amazing Spen
71. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
both are great and best for 2013..
i respect to sami fans but i think one is most solid and best package speceially with great design and bady material..
ONE in Top .
93. SleepingOz (unregistered)
243. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
Hahaha Nice one SleepingOz. You nailed it. GS4 Winnns!
73. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
74. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
95. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
lots of noise oon htc One, hoping it will be resolved with the update
78. LonghornTech (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Theyre both great but I prefer the One.
80. LonghornTech (Posts: 50; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Based on that comparison the One is better in nearly every aspect. It's like a grown up Galaxy S IV. The only thing the Samsung definitively won was the camera comparison, but I know very few people who would buy one phone over the other for a negligible improvement in image quality.
116. p5yb0rg (unregistered)
I prefer neither.. The One's camera is questionable while the S4 lacks the premium build quality and dull UI.. I suggest holding on to your money until Nexus 5 or Motorola X Phone. Patience guys :)
141. BitterTruth (unregistered)
S4 internals + HTC One's body (including the boom sound) !
168. chocolaking (Posts: 453; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Winner should be HTC One. But this kind of comparison never happens in Phonearena.
HTC one clearly win over the S3s.
2. HASHTAG (unregistered)
It's nice that the S4 is about the same size as the One, but w/ the bigger screen. I'm still stuck on which phone to get; IMO the S4 has the better software while the One has a great design.
50. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8717; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I would say demo both devices at a store before you make your final judgement. Both have their pros and cons, so that's something you'll have to heavily think about.
87. Taters (Posts: 3288; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The HTC One design flaws are coming in right on time. Look at the gap issue mentioned. Horrible.
215. chocolaking (Posts: 453; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Yeah, It's the ppl like you made up the gap,
Squeeze the phone real hard and stuch papers in it.
Read the fking news! dmub a s s
3. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Pentile oversaturated dimm display vs SLCD3
Cartoony touchwiz vs Sense 5
Flexible, flimsy, shinny, fingerprint manget, thin, slippery, faux textured "hypergalze back" vs Unibody alumium
Tiny speaker and average sound recording capabilities vs Front facing "boomsound" stereo speakers and HDR Sound
Choice is yours...
8. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Ability to hover over the screen to preview vs nil
13 MP sony exmos camera vs 4 MP poor day light capturing camera
android 4.2.2 vs 4.1.2
power saving A7 processors vs nil
durable decent plastic vs scratch prone aluminum
smart eye features vs bloated blink feed sense 5
Choice is yours
14. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
I usually use my smartphone camera in night, i usually have a mirrorless camera with me the day so i don't care about daylight images. As for the android version i had the S3 and it didn't feel like android 4.x, it was more like android 2.x with the terrible color theme and the tabs... As for the Processor they are both going to get the S600 in the US so it's going to be a tie. And for the smart features, i never used smart stay on my S3, nor smart rotation when it got the JB update, and do you think that leaving your front facing camera on while you're watching a two hour movie on your smartphone is a great idea? And the hovering thing is limited to a few apps and flipboard, i think it's useless, why not just press on the display? And when i'm paying for a flagship phone i expect high end hardware and design, my iPad 3 (and the olther ones) despite how long i used them still look brand new, but my S3 whenever i pick it up gets tons of fingerprints, and the fzux aluminium sides are scratched alot.
22. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
"i usually have a mirrorless camera with me the day so i don't care about daylight images"- Not every one have separate camera now a days. Everyone wants a single device which meets even their high end camera quality needs. Thats why smartphones are there.
"As for the android version i had the S3 and it didn't feel like android 4.x, it was more like android 2.x with the terrible color theme and the tabs.. And the hovering thing is limited to a few apps and flipboard, i think it's useless,."-It is your own subjective opinion and would not apply to all as i myself like the Nature UX and its features.
"As for the Processor they are both going to get the S600 in the US"- Agreed. But Almost every country in Asia and Africa are gonna get exynos octa!!!
"my iPad 3 (and the olther ones) despite how long i used them still look brand new, but my S3 whenever i pick it up gets tons of fingerprints, and the fzux aluminium sides are scratched alot" -O REALLY!
36. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
You win't get great images out of such a tiny lens, any compact camera will get better results than any smartphone (except maybe the 808). As for the Processors (I'm an amateur photographer), As for the processors, 70% of the first Galaxy S4s will have the S600. And what i said about the durability of aluminium is true, maybe people think that aluminium isn't durable because of all the "scuffgate" issues of the iPhone 5, but these issues concern the Slate model, witch is painted and shows scratches verry easily. And I HATE the glossy finish of the S3, should've been matte, and i never use cases. I read on Sammobile back in the S4 launch that Samsung had to choose between this model and anolther with real aluminium sides and a matte polycarbonate back cover, sadly Smasung gave us the cheapest one. And for the Nature UX, i love sound feedback but hearing water noises everytime i touch my screen IS annoying.
20. MrJerry (Posts: 396; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Gorilla 3 vs Gorilla 2...
Most important thing for everything and to be protected: Screen
76. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
check this camera and next say poor camera!!
This link regarding camera comparison between latest handsets.
And this is the most interesting part. Camera comparison between HTC One vs Galaxy S4
115. b1acktiger (Posts: 208; Member since: 19 May 2012)
We are talking about the Snapdragon 600. No Octa Core here. Smart Eye features are only available in day. At night those features aren't that much smart. Those are gimmicky, after a month or so, you can download it from Play Store. btw, The Day light problem has been fixed in the update rolled out recently.
32. voxmarc (Posts: 313; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
-5 inches in the same size as S3 vs 4.7 in all wide bezel surrounding
-Better support vs yawn
-Thin size + cover = still thin vs thick + cover = nokia 5110 thickness
-2 choices of better processor vs 1
-Advanced software vs software
-Loud and clearer sound in video recording(as per PA test) vs almost muted
-4 years or long device life due to battery replaceablet vs 2 years almost dead if not dead battery
-Possible KLP this year vs Impossible
-Plastic cover,Cheap cost on replacement vs forever dent and scratch or too expensive repair
-Proven best all around performance vs ???
-Beast vs Beauty pageant
-Gestures vs nothing
-Toucheless vs nothing
-Expandable vs nothing
-Quick glance vs nothing
-Hover Call answer vs nothing
-Direct Call vs nothing
-Voice over command on camera and music player vs nothing
-Locksreen shortcutsplus multiple screen vs nothing
-Smart alert vs nothing
-Double tap to top vs nothing
-S4 and more settings vs One and just One
-S4 vs No ONE
-4.2.2 to 5.0 vs 4.1.2 to 4.2.1?
-Samsung ORB on 5.0 vs waiting for no ONE
Choice is yours.....
43. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
- Thses bezels aren't here for nothing, they house front facing speakers, and they're AWESOME, and even if you get rid of all the bezels on a screen it's hard to use the smartphone with one thumb.
- HTC supports their smartphones well, not as good as Samsung but they're not that bad, the S3 got JB in end of september while HTC got it in october
- You never saw the HTC One or any HTC device didn't you, because i saw the DNA and the 8X, the DNA tpaers down to 4mm and that's all you feel, the curved back makes it confortable in the hand but all you feel is 4mm, witch is INSANE
- Whatever where i live they both have the same CPU soo
- Advanced software, you mean bloatware and tons of gimmicks in a cartoony design and creepy water sounds
- You should check PA's comparison with the One agains everything else, the One has a better mic than even the Lumia 920's rich recording witch is even better than the S3.
- I will change my phone the next year so what's the big deal?
- Possible? And you can predict the future?
- You never had an aluminium device didn't you? you might be reffering to anodysed aluminium witch shows scratches alot more than normal aluminium, i have an iPad 3 that has an aluminium back and it still looks like brand new, despite a few drops.
- Your best all around performer had lag on the app drawer on every hands on that i saw, i never saw such thing on the One
- SAME PROCESSOR
- Expandable? Samsung says the S3 will have 32/64GB of storage but we never saw them, you can't install apps and games on an SD card, and i had an SD card on my S3 and after a small drop, i lost all my date, SD CARDS aren't reliable
- Had it mn my S3, gimmick
- Had it on my S3, gimmick, you put anything near the proximity sensor and it calls automatically, one day i forgot to turn off the display on my S3 after reading a SMS and i put it in my pocket and it called the number.
- I'd much rather have the Lyrics on the MP3 player like in the One, and Voice commands didn't work that well
- You have lockscreen shortcuts on the One
- Had it on my S3, gimmick, just look at the famn notification light
- Gimmick, only works in a few apps, i read on technobuffalo that there is tap to top one the One
- What does that even mean?
- Same, you should go learn english
- HTC said it will update the phone to 4.2.2 by the time it comes to market ( end of april )
- What is samsung ORB, and how do you know it will be on 5.0?????
59. voxmarc (Posts: 313; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
you surely dont have a S3 all you mentioned are wrong specially the direct call,resesarch more kid...orb?research more kid....4.2.2 on HTC one.....big hahahahahahahahahahahahaha dream on...camera yet alone they cannot deliver the parts.hover on few apps poor kid....research...tap to top...sorry but patented to sammy...smart alert doesnt only use notification light...research....plain and simple on all tech review HTC ONE LOSE.
66. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
I have an S3, and i don't want to spend my life researching on stuff, i'd rather live it :). The hover thing works on the calendar, the samsung terrible e mail (whoever told sammy that e-mails should have a black background and white text is stupid ), Messages, flipboard, gallery and the video player. Tap to top on the One doesn't work like on the S3, check TB's review. Smart alert vibrates when you have a notification, but it's useless when you have a notification light.
46. jo_Ny (Posts: 27; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
-4.7 inches better ppi, bezel protects from falls (I had my SGS3 front display shattered from falling in wood surface)
-samsung update policy is terrible, buggy, inconsistent, rished, unstable etc
-thinner device by 1 millimeter??? wow amazing (NOT).
-better processors? proof?? Also benchmarks means zero for UX
-You mean bloated cartoonich software vs clean mature software?
-Check other reviews, for video recording ONE bests the SGS4
-Proof? Sealed batteries last more than 2 years.....
-Cheap vs premium. Personal choice.
-Proven?? Where? Youtube videos SGS4 lags all over. HTC ONE reviews consistently point fast performance.
- True, SD slot is a win for Samsung
-Gimmicks, gimmicks..most of them can be replicated by android apps
-It is confirmed that by the time SGS4 is released, the HTC ONE will also have 4.2.2.
Choice is yours
151. Tomfromsouth (Posts: 51; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
I'm defs drawn to the HTC one. I'm honestly over this concept that Samsung has to continually produce cheap feeling phones. I've just paid top dollar for the top spec phone so why can't they incorporate it nto the design. I don't buy Samsung selling the idea that its for dropping protection.
The truth is they're doing it because it cheap and fast to manufacture. Think otherwise and you're being hoodwinked. That design is a result of cheaper efficient production design and the marketing and product development team has sweet f-all to do with it. I bet you now they're all bitching about it.
The phones are otherwise equal. Both have there pluses and minuses.
Well done to HTC for realising what Jobs had been talking about all those years. People care about the design language and the way it feels. I would go far as to say I would pay a lot more for he HTC One than the Samsung. I have to pick this phone up everyday I don't want to be reminded that my phone is result of cheap manufacturing process and not made for me to enjoy. Its bullsh1t Samsung. Cut it out. It's not gonna stay this way forever (waaay best selling smartphone) unless you realise that.
I'm telling you there's not person who can honestly say, I'm glad my premium phone was made using a cheaper faster manufacturing process. Unless of course you're lying to yourself.
Please fix Samsung.
Sincerely a premium phone owner.
244. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
You nailed it dude. hahahaha
HTC ONE May won the design, but its specs and features are less. Lol.
WHILE S4 is very innovative and Advanced. Again, S4 Innovative features are not gimmick. Millions of people will not buy S4 if it made of gimmick features. How about HTC One? Again, oh it has great Design and nothing else. S4 the best!