Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One
0. phoneArena 26 Mar 2013, 06:51 posted on
This is it, the most epic Android face-off for the first half of 2013. The Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One are coming out at about the same time to go ahead and have it out with one another. When the Galaxy S4 and One are in the same room, there sure ain't much love in the air, which is going to make this fight all the more interesting. Which side will you take? Wait till you've read our comparison!...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
124. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5589; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's true guy, HTC & Motorola handsets typically have better signal reception and call quality than Samsung devices. i've had plenty of handsets from all three of these manufacturers. why don't you go read off the Galaxy S4 cons again...
126. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I am aware of the GS4 con and I know Motorola is rock solid in reception and battery life. HTC is not though from my personal experience. Make of that whats you will.
89. amats69 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
they are both great phones! they have thier pros and cons..but i prefer HTC ONE!im excited to get one :)
90. watever (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Real convenient that theres no reference to the batteries. ....
91. vladd100 (Posts: 56; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
NB: in all those photos the HTC is getting over the sgs4 in a 99 position so who's the man???
96. Scorpion (Posts: 83; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
I don't get it - The GS4 is running the vanilla Android music app? The Music square feature is working great, why remove it? And the Nature UX palyer itself is pretty good...
98. voxmarc (Posts: 299; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
i think they use google play not the stock music player...i doubt if samsung will remove those features which absolutely works very well.
99. rustyimtiaz (Posts: 44; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Is there any way to put the S4 specs and features into the HTC one body???
102. Galactic (Posts: 19; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
No. but you can get a metal case Or replacement back over for the s4.
107. amats69 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
but you cant deny the fact that even if you put a metal case on the S4 it is still the same S4 with cheap looking design..you can compare that to an ugly lady...whatever beautiful, or expensive dress and make up she wear it doesnt help on what she really is...and what will happen to the thickness of the phone wth those cover?...
112. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I think the only people calling the GS4 ugly are HTC and Apple fans.
And that cover comment is so far off base it isn't even funny. 9.3 mm with a cover is like 12mm with an average case. 7.9 mm is like 10.mm with an average sized case. How does a cover only hinder the GS4 thickness but not the fatty HTC One thickness? The HTC fans are really reaching here.
It should be good times once the HTC flaw reports and the less than expected sales reports come in. The massive reaching by their fans blaming marketing and only marketing is going to be hilarious.
100. Galactic (Posts: 19; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Don't get me wrong HTC did a magnificent job, but there really is no contest. A preproduction unit of the GS4 got 9.3. The retail version of HTC One gets 9.1. No further witnesses, your honour.
OK trolls, Paint Me Red!
128. zizicomments (Posts: 5; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
are u kidding me,pa is also an individual reviewer not a phone robot ,their reviews are as well subjective ,what u feel about the phones are based on individual preferences ,go feel the phones for urself then grade them ,software tweaks dont do it for me ,i will pick the htc one every day over the s4
195. Galactic (Posts: 19; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Cool Story Bro. Shame that this outcome not an isolated incident, and most reviewers put the GS4 post the HTC One.
103. richard1697 (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
the HTC ONE better in almost every aspect
105. _PHug_ (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One
AKA Troll Bait
106. _PHug_ (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Would be nice to take your preferred features from both and mash them into a custom phone
117. jphillips63 (Posts: 173; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That's funny I get 4g in areas when I was on my Rezound that Samsung couldn't even get and hold 1x and for calls well forget even calling me as the Samsung phone reception was so bad it wouldn't even receive a call and sure wouldn't place one. This is the real world experiences I'm talking about not in some cozy office where there's wifi or a cell tower nearby. And as for Bluetooth connectivity I've never had an issue with any HTC product being able to connect to my Bluetooth and hold the connection. But I also don't buy cheap products. I do my homework and research what is working and go with that.
121. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I do way too much homework, in fact, I probably over think the minute details and HTC always falls short from my research.
Which Samsung phones have you tested BTW? The Gio or some prepaid crap? I know you are going to say a high end Samsung phone but we both know that isn't true since those win all the app speed tests.
118. ahhxd717 (Posts: 317; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
I think both phones are excellent, but i think he S4 will satisfy the power user more in the long run. I personally would maaaybe choose the One, just because I prefer the things that it offers over the exclusive features of the S4 (such as speaker and unibody [my Gnexus speaker is terrible and the build quality is very questionable]), however I don't want to overlook the S4.. damn this is so close. It just comes down to what the individual values most in their handset.
120. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
I'll definitely be picking up the ONE and only.
125. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Gsmarena battery test results are in. Guess who just got smoked?
More reports of wonky HTC One volume rockers are also coming. Will they ever learn?
182. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
S4 won by a very small margin on the battery test. With the battery size on the S4, I would expect it to last longer than the One on everything. The difference only lied in standby mode.
On battery if I'm a light user, then I'll probably got with S4 cause it could last 3 days. If I'm watching movies all day, I'd go with the One for it's screen since battery life is on par with S4 video playback.
127. zizicomments (Posts: 5; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
hey ,so about the hover,does it mean while im watching a movie or pic ,my friend comes around or a stranger in the bus accidentally moves his hands across ,what im viewing will change or somth? that must be disturbing....i love the one btw,its great i guess its got the same flashiness that gets ppl to buy iphones.
129. Troysyx (Posts: 139; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
WHOA! another Phonearena Vs where neither phone wins, its all "up to the user". No S**t its up to the user. How about do something where everyone at phonearena puts which one they think wins so at least we get something like a 3-4 for the HTC, or 6-1 for the S4. Something more than just "both are great handsets". If you are going to keep doing VS' like that, at least put the conclusion first so i can skip everything else.
144. Adithya7184 (Posts: 315; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
and the winner is Ray.s
130. xsmartphonex (Posts: 41; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
gs4!!!...... there both beast phones.
131. Eonnaydra (Posts: 204; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Do you know if S4 has a feature like Zoe's in which you can make a little video for 2-3 seconds and then to see the frames of that video and choose the best ?
159. Eonnaydra (Posts: 204; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
I have put a question and I receive a thumb down...wtf
132. tiara6918 (Posts: 1395; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
It's hard to choose between these two smartphones. But just like what happened with last year's handsets(sgs3 and one x) I ended up with the one x simply because I do not care about those touchwiz features that I would probably never use and I care more about the build quality and overall apperance.
133. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The HTC One just got whipped by the GS4 in the gsmarena comparison. They basically just said if you are shallow you will like the HTC One and if you are not a dummy you will like the GS4. They just said it in a more politically correct way.
156. ahhxd717 (Posts: 317; Member since: 08 Dec 2011)
Haha I love how you tried to label me as a fanboy but you are unrelenting with your love for Samsung and absolute hatred for HTC, which is ridiculous. What did HTC ever do to you? It's completely ignorant and laughable that you disregard the HTC One in every aspect. Let me ask you something; do you want Samsung to be the only Android manufacturer? That would be your wet dream.
158. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I know that you are butt hurt but don't shoot the messenger. I was just summarizing the gsmarena comparison without the political aspects.
134. Taters (Posts: 2919; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
63 hour endurance test for the GS4 vs 48 hour for the HTC One. Talk about a whipping....
135. JEverettnow (Posts: 190; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
You are all silly. Not one of you has actually held one of these devices in your hands and yet most of you can claim one is better than the other. I will wait to reserve judgement. All I know is I work for a cellular repair center and HTC's are constantly coming in even with their metal design, where as the s3 and note 2 don't come in nearly as often. However the s2 comes in more than both s3 and all HTC's combined. This is still anyones game. The HTC one not coming out for verizon will definitely hurt them though. Maybe Verizon knows something we don't?
137. c.sanchez (Posts: 16; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
HTC One has the better design, but you guys know everyone is gonna buy the S4 in the states...
139. R-vjn (Posts: 161; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Happy with my Nexus4, & I'm waiting for Nexus5..!
But in this comparison, I would choose the 'ONE'..!
143. Adithya7184 (Posts: 315; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
if we compare this review with gsmarena, i prefer gsmaren's review.
its no doubt that, phonearena are best known for news stories while gsmarena for reviews.
146. aquadust (Posts: 18; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
It is hard to decide, however I would probably go for S4. It is obviously not the best looking phone :D but at least it is better than S3. And I'm really looking forward to see that new amoled screen, because that is only major drawback on my S3 - inaccurate colors and resolution much worse than on my HTC One X or even old SE Xperia Ray. Damn you pentile matrix!
152. review_again (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I like both phones . I'd like for HTC to be sucessful. However, The One does not have a removeable battery and Micro SD. That's the deal breaker with me. I think that these two exclusions will be it's "achilles heel"!!
157. Musty18591 (Posts: 17; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
So u r telling .. u r gonna sell a flagship model NOT with the latest Software version available ?!?!
S4 is the best phone so far :)
160. peacekeeper05 (Posts: 23; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
I prefer the GS4. I like the software support of Samsung. I also like the added features on touchwiz like the multiwindow support. The HTC One is good but I'd rather go to an overall better product.
163. jonahleq (Posts: 6; Member since: 17 Apr 2012)
I prefer htc one, because the quality photo I need.
170. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
duhhh htc one has the worst photo quality...
165. gogowho (Posts: 37; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
HTC one still use plastic on all it edge, and the back thin lines are even soft rubber?
it is really hard to maintain the phone condition.we still need a phone case, so what is the point?
that is what review wont tell you.
172. poping (unregistered)
last year, hox always won the reviews against s3. but then s3 captured the market...
it will be the same with ho vs s4...
173. t3hSt1ngray (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I like some features of both. More than likely I'll be rooting and throwing a custom ROM on the phone so software doesn't mean much to me, so I'm leaning more towards the HTC One.
176. monkeymuffins (Posts: 3; Member since: 31 Mar 2013)
Uh... the Galaxy's "Darkness" shot was obviously taken with flash. Try it again, flashlessly?
179. monkeymuffins (Posts: 3; Member since: 31 Mar 2013)
Really? Downvotes? Check the EXIF data. Flash was used in taking the photo. It's an invalid comparison since the HTC shot has no flash.
197. Galactic (Posts: 19; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
You get thumbs down for being a smart ass :)