Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Review
0. phoneArena 19 Jun 2013, 08:59 posted on
Being IP67 certified, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active doesn't mind getting a little wet every once in a while. In fact, it should be able to survive a dive into water down to a meter for up to 30 minutes. The handset is dust-tight as well. At the same time, it has the hardware specs needed to rank among today's best Android smartphones: 1080p screen, Snapdragon 600 silicon, 2GB of RAM, 2600mAh battery, with Android 4.2 running the parade...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. Diego! (Posts: 624; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Nice review! I prefer the design of S4 Active over the regular S4.
I'm looking forward to reading Samsung Galaxy S4 Active vs Sony Xperia Z! :D
23. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 210; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
This GS4 is just a Sony Xperia Z wannabe! LOL. No doubt the SXZ is faaar more premium-looking and gorgeous than this one! :D
32. taikucing (unregistered)
yeah, with horrible viewing angles.
31. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
I would as well if the camera were the same. it's not horrible, but why not keep the old camera?! I guess they have to give people reason to buy the original.
45. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
In theory, this camera should be better because less pixels on a tiny sensor should equal less noise. 4mp is too little and 13mp is too much. This should be the sweet spot. They might have attempted to make this better and failed or maybe 13mp is too noisy underwater. Or they could be just making sure this doesn't cost more to produce than the GS4.
41. Hassan420i (Posts: 24; Member since: 23 Jun 2013)
the only thing i prefer in Samsung Galaxy is their Super AMOLED displays, since this have TFT display I can say my luxury-looking phone (Xperia Z) is much better than the tough- or metal-looking phone maybe?!
2. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Why is Phone Arena keeps complain that there are no rubber protection on S4 Active. I have some rubber in my wallet that I can share to you. :P
3. Diego! (Posts: 624; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
LOL xD I think they need som jelly too! LOL once more! xD
4. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Lol the s4 active beats lumia 925.....poor poor Nokia.....
5. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Just about every Android is beating the Lumia line these days. Except the 720 for whatever value reasons PA came up with. The 92x series is getting stale.
6. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
you cant compare 720 with highend devices. 720 gets high score as a midranger.
8. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
True, but when is the last time a midrange Android got a 9+ here?
24. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 210; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
I agree! Most handsomely-specd midrange Androids only get an average of 8. The Sony Xperia SP only got an 8, the LG Optimus F7 an 8 too, the Optimus L9 a 7.5, the GS4 mini got an 8.5 and the Samsung Galaxy Grand an 8 too. It seems that WP doesn't need very huge processors, gpu and ram to run buttery smooth, and the cameras are also great. Windows Phones are indeed very well optimised!
38. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
actually Android AOSP doesnt need much to be buttery smooth... even at 1 GHZ processor and 500MB ram you could still run Android 4.2.2 ... its only when the touchwiz and other skins on top that slow the system down along with all that bloatware they just love to spoon feed us.
9. samystic (Posts: 230; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
'Screen does not work when wet'... yes it beats Nokia hands down... LOL... kids these days!
10. SleepingOz (unregistered)
What did you expect? Better hardware, screen, CPU, battery etc.. and it runs on Android 4.2 on top! But cm'on, you don't say it out loud, dude.. You'll make the nokia fanboys even more butthurt than they were yesterday.
14. SleepingOz (unregistered)
*don't have to say it
7. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1215; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
I prefer the front of the original S4, but the back of the active, i really dont like the looks of the physical buttons.
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Same here, I like the Active's overall design but not its front buttons.
I also don't like TFT screens even if this one seems to be an excellent display, I still prefer amoled.
20. thelukewarm (Posts: 18; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
I agree, the s4 wasn't actually designed to be waterproof........ I think that's why xperia z looks better than this device.
25. mottykels (Posts: 384; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Me too i dont like the design of the physical button
13. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
How is a stronger built, better looking S4 goes below 9.0? Feels a bit like PA didn't dare giving it the same score in the fear of the anti-Samsung scum predictably calling for bias.
I'm very much interested in this phone, more so than in the S4, which's glossy fingerprint plastic is not my thing. The only setback I see here is the lack of 13MP cam, but it still deserves a 9.0 if everything else is there AND water & dust resistance.
17. Nick_T (Posts: 170; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Had the camera been a bit better I would have gladly given it a 9.
18. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The camera of the 928 was an improvement over the 920, but the 928 got an 8 and the 920 a 9. I thought time/competitiveness was a bigger factor than camera.
19. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Wow dude. Way to stay on topic.
I did expect a higher score for the S4 Active. But like other devices like the Razr HD the camera pulled it down.
47. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You forgot to switch account before posting this comment! LMAO!
30. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The 928 and 920 were way too similar to be scored the same when they were so far apart in release.