Samsung Galaxy S III vs Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX
0. phoneArena 17 Jul 2012, 09:24 posted on
It’s been about 6 months since the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX was released, and since then it has remained at the top of Verizon’s line-up. Not only because of its hardware and software, but because of its impressive 3300 mAh battery. Now enter the new Samsung Galaxy S III, also with Android ICS on board, but featuring a larger and higher resolution screen, not to mention a faster processor and more RAM...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Your GS3 quadrant scores are way too loww!! I have Verizon GS3 and i get 5000 on daily basis.
2. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
it still beats the razr.
and they should do quadrant 3 times and average them. because quadrant scores go higher each time.
10. jinwons (Posts: 95; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
Right. Quadrant is very unreliable benchmark. For best result, you should boot the phone and run test multiple times to average it. GS3 score will be closer to 5000 this way.
26. PhoneArena Team (Posts: 240; Member since: 27 Jun 2006)
You are correct; we have re-tested it and have updated the score :)
43. babyboy14622 (Posts: 34; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
i have the razr maxx and i get over 5000 on a dalily bases
46. baldilocks (Posts: 593; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
PhoneArena has been using the wrong Quadrant scores for the International GS3 for quite some time too. They have it pegged at 4400 when they ALL get 5600 all day long.
3. Cyan3boN (Posts: 437; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
i would get the razr if i were looking for style, i dont care about the rest though
4. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
another stupid comparison. Compare S III with Atrix HD.
5. snowgator (Posts: 3346; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
There isn't any way the GS3 would lose to the Atrix HD. The Atrix is designed to give top end LTE and HD screen performance, but it also designed to be a little less expensive. But, that doesn't mean that it, or the RAZR MAXX, aren't good choices. Just that the Samsung beast is top shelf right now.
19. caseball2051 (Posts: 31; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
youre gonna call this a stupid comparison and then ask for a compariston between a super smartphone (GS3) and the atrix HD which is a mid level phone?
31. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I call this stupid because it is stupid.
Atrix HD is a far better phone than RAZR,
It has S4 dual core cpu, the same which can be found in HTC ONE X, 720p screen which is really good actually, much better build quality (comparing to S III). There are some drawbacks of course but I wouldn't dare to say that S III is in a completely different league. At least Atrix HD is better in so many ways than RAZR. The only grudge is presumably its battery life.
6. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
FAUguy... who is this?
Anyways, my RAZR MAXX only has 8GB of internal storage, and I think all others are like that.
The camera on the razr is really bad... I'm hoping to see something better with the new Razr's 13MP camera.
14. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3046; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
If you ever watch any of PA's video reviews on Youtube, he's the guy who always has the same Disney wallpaper on his phone review devices. He's been with PA for some years now.
16. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Ah... never noticed him.. lol
I do know that Disney wallpaper you are talking about. I've seen it quite a bit, all the way back to feature phones.
20. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3046; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I'm not sure if he gets paid by Disney to seemingly advertise for them but it's really odd that EVERY review, comparison, preview, etc video that he does. He ALWAYS has the same Disney wallpaper. Or maybe he just loves Disney that much =P
21. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
lol we should ask him.
FAU isn't that close to Disney anyways, it's pretty far down south. I don't watch PA's vids on YouTube, but I do notice the Wallpaper in some reviews and such. Very interesting note.
27. FAUguy (Posts: 77; Member since: 09 Apr 2008)
I started using that wallpaper (which I took with a Canon camera) about 7 years ago, and kept using it as a way to easily show which phone reviews were done by me. I'm in South FL, about 4 hours from Orlando.
7. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
If u want a premium feel buy a premium case.
8. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
why do motorola make there phones with huge bezels,the 2 phones are all most the same size yet one is 4.8'' and the other is 4.3''...same goes for battery why couldnt samsung put in larger battery or is just not possible to have a large battery unless its a unibody design?
9. jinwons (Posts: 95; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
but you can change battery on GS3 and I'm sure that extended battery will be available soon. this is not possible with Maxx though it has big enough battery.
11. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
i have the s3,dont really have a problem with battery but bigger battery wouldnt hurt it...hopefully they bring out a extended battery with 2500+ mah that also keeps the phone slim...ie like they did with the nexus
13. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3046; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
That has been one of Motorola's problems since the Droid X. Devices are way bigger and taller yet the screen stays the same size vs HTC and Samsung devices.
The RAZR MAXX is a great device, let's hope the sequal gets the same if not bigger battery with the most up to date specs.
15. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5670; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I love how you guys had so many different problems with your MAXX that I've never even heard of as a member of the Razr community. I've used 5 different builds of ICS on my dad's MAXX and my own Razr and none of them have had any of the issues you've described and as far as speed tests next to the SIII I've found the opposite to be true in my testing.
24. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Alright I rooted my phone and all.. but I made a pretty bad mistake.
I got an app uninstalled (for the built-in apps) and I accidently deleted the default email app. (not gmail, Email.. Verizon's) I'm getting a txt message for every email and things are screwing up.
Do you know how i can fix this. Sorry for so many questions. I need the Razr version of Email.apk... and know what to do with it. Any suggestions?
25. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5670; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I don't think there is a .211 system dump out there yet. you'll probably just have to fastboot. in the future just freeze apps you don't want, never delete them. freezing is completely reversable whereas deleting is not.
17. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
This really isn't even a fair comparison. 2011 vs 2012 top end phones. I expect a top end 2013 phone to beat the SIII
22. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5670; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
or even the next Nexus (hopefully by Motorola)
23. Tonivstono (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
My S3 Quadrant Result is 5697.....That is toooooooo Lowwww@.@
28. FAUguy (Posts: 77; Member since: 09 Apr 2008)
I re-ran Quadrant a few more times tonight and updated our score to 5022. Still have not got as high as yours of 5697.
34. Tonivstono (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
This is the score on the second day that I bought a phone.....Fresh out the box :D
30. runeblade (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
I am missing something in the review here...
You do not speak of the WebTop feature on the Droid Razr Maxx.
I would buy the SGS3 in a heartbeat if it had that feature.
I'm guessing the Webtop feature is only on Motorola, but it would be an awesome feature on any android phone.
33. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
unfortunately as far as i know the Atrix HD doesn't have this functionality (probably because it is not positioned as a flagship, not because it is not powerful enough or something).
35. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5670; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
this is the Razr MAXX, not the Atrix HD and yes, Webtop is a big deal to some people including me. Webtop 3.0 is even more amazing.
36. superdave25 (Posts: 2; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I like the bigger screen, but the bigger battery is better. I hope the Razr Maxx HD has a screen bigger than 4.3. I will swap out my Maxx for the Maxx HD for a bigger screen and same battery. I'll keep my Maxx if the screen stays 4.3 inch.
37. Tonivstono (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Trust me folks.....If U have this phone go get a screen protector.......This gorilla glass2 is strong but scratch resistance is s**t.....
Because I trusted a video in youtube now i got 2 scratches on the phone(I really care about my phone never put anything hard with it)
It is worst than my nokia x6 and its only gorilla glass 1 and got no scratches........:(
38. carguy240 (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Jul 2012)
Great review and timely, these are Verizon's top two phones today. The ones I need to make a choice between now. My top 3 features are phone, mail, and txt. Since this will be my primary work number ( as well as personal) call quality is #1 since I want to hear and be heard without issue. Even though the techno geek in me wants the better display, video, and camera bad. I would have never know from just looking at them in the store. In fact I was leaning towards the S3, now it's to the Maxx.
39. Zorin (Posts: 152; Member since: 26 Jul 2010)
pick up one or 2 extra batteries. Umm, NO. LOL
40. techie123 (Posts: 54; Member since: 25 Mar 2009)
You did not mention that the Razr is also a GLOBAL phone with a GSM radio, where as the Galaxy is not. Might be important to some.
41. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5670; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Galaxy SIII will eventually become a Global Phone just like the Razr did.
47. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Oh well another one bites the dust. The Galaxy S3 just KILLS all smartphones plain and simple. But I still give major props to MOTOROLA for that KILLER BATTERY. Samsung gots to get with that on it's smartphones not just the Galaxy Note. I happy to have my Galaxy S3 on tmobile it's simply the best