Samsung Galaxy S II Plus Review
0. phoneArena 16 Apr 2013, 09:18 posted on
We still remember how excited we were when Samsung announced the Galaxy S II back in 2011. Now it's 2013 and the company's former flagship is back in the form of a refreshed model – a reincarnation, if you will, known as the Samsung Galaxy S II Plus. On a hardware level, it comes with specs that make it very similar to the older variant, meaning that it isn't quite suitable for the high-end category anymore, but it is shaping up as a decent mid-range device...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
9. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
I will never buy any Xperia unless Sony starts using decent scratch resistant glass on top of their screens with an oleophobic layer instead of that plastic sheet of crap that is supposed to protect the screen.
10. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Apparantly some people don't believe me (why else would you vote down my comment?) so here is some proof:
without oleophobic layer, the glass (not the plastic sheet) catches fingerprints you can't get rid of anymore... Suit yourselves!
11. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Let's say the Xperia T is a better choice then, can be had for €350 too.
24. mercorp (Posts: 1021; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Sexier design,faster krait processor,and more bang for your buck.
2. Captain_Doug (Posts: 987; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
This really doesn't impress me. The OG S2 is just as good or better in almost every category and already has a great developer following. The S2 plus is Samsungs way of saying, "we really can get away with anything".
3. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
I agree , just get an OG GS2 and cyanogenmod it and it performs almost as good as a Galaxy Crap 3
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3606; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Galaxy SIII 'Minus' should've been a better name fit for this.
4. procopiojose (Posts: 132; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
samsung is giving options.. doorknob...
if you cant afford the latest devices, you have this for a fraction of the price..
5. Captain_Doug (Posts: 987; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Except they already have more than enough mid range options... I understand choice and options, that's why I choose Android. However, flooding the market and selling this phone as an S2 plus is insulting. You can buy an original S2 for $250-300 on ebay brand new with no contract. I doubt that the S2 plus will be sold at a competitive price.
7. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
At a fraction of the price? LOL! €350 is the price for it in Belgium. I have been able to find a brand new Galaxy S3 for €379... Some great options Sammy is giving here. Looks like you don't look that smart anymore, hé?
6. shadez10 (Posts: 425; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
I really dont get it why they call it the s2 plus when its really not an upgrde from the original s2 when in fact its a little bit downgraded...
8. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Phonearena, come on! A couple of days ago you reviewed the HTC First and gave it a 7.5 because of the performance that is not top notch...
Now you're scoring this overpriced two year old repacked thing the same whereas it scores only half the points in Quadrant and Antutu? Saying it is an OK performing mid-range phone?
Where is your objectivity? Your scoring system fails big time!
18. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
PA Loves Samsung and Especially APPLE!
14. xvasek (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Will be possible make some camera comparison - Galaxy SII Plus vs Galaxy S4?
I would like to see the qualitative progress (in time)
Thank you very much
16. renjithr712 (Posts: 3; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
If it was atleast QHD resolution and the battery would have been a bit bigger, then it would have been the best mid-ranger. Those who couldn't buy S2 due to its price point can try this one.
19. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Sad. I cant afford it still :(
20. panda123 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Where I live... this phone costs about $100 less than an S2 so I grabbed it right away to replace my old (no longer working) phone... and I can really say that it's a really great bang-for-buck.
21. panda123 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
For who are wondering.. it cost me exactly $262
22. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Does it has scratch resistant glass?
23. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
26. baraheemo (Posts: 15; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I bought one before 3 days , the device has some problems on the software i think .
it made a restart 3 times in the three days
i am so disappointed .
27. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3702; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Shame on you Samsung, this device should have come up with upgraded features but you just sucks. Its should be named as S II Minus :X
28. Talish (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
I really hate this phone.Sold after hardly using 2 days. Let me list the reason for which I incurred loss of $25 on this set by reselling.
1. It does support flash so that you can not install Adobe Flash Player in it which is necessary to support various games i.e. Subway Surfers etc. Moreover, online TV channels need flash player as well to play on phone.
2. It hanged on the very first day while I was on call and ends up restarting the phone.
3. Touch sensation is no way near the low-budgeted HTC phones.
4. Camera result is ordinary, you find iphone 3GS 3.15MP result quite better than that of S2 plus.
Hope it would guide you positively.
29. panda123 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I can conclude three possiblities for your situation... Either you have been paid by HTC, or you've accidentally bought a Galaxy Pocket, or you were scammed hardcore and bought a chinese phone. I will respond to your points as per my experience with the phone for more than a week now...
1. You can install Flash player, you can play any game... Your info is so false it makes no sense.
2. Never hang on me... in more than a week, and I install lots and lots of apps and use the phone heavily.
3. Lol... Makes no sense
4. SGS2+ camera is equal to SGS3's.
30. Talish (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Mr.Panda..If you citing your experience bona fide then I may be scammed. Please go to play store and try installing adobe flash player and do install subway surfers and let me know whether or not your phone playing it properly
31. panda123 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Adoble flash has been removed from the play store since the release of 4.1 Jellybean, you must sideload it... Plus (pun intended), Adobe flash player has nothing to do with subway surfer. Subway surfer worked perfectly before and after I installed flash player. No bugs whatsoever.
32. Abhisheknallur (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
Hey I guys I am planning to buy a mid range smartphone I have confusion with S2 or S2+ or xperia SP. Which smartphone would you guys suggest for gaming purpose? and for overall performance?
Thanks in advance!!!
33. baraheemo (Posts: 15; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
s2 with ice cream sanwish dont buy s2+ with the jelly bean
34. panda123 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Xperia SP definitely... Unless you want a cheaper phone then S2+
35. gsmfastest (Posts: 3; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
glaxy s2 i user personaly its very good mobile specialy for email cammra result is very fine and very slim also new update of jalibeen is very reliable br gsmfastest.com
37. baraheemo (Posts: 15; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I have already one but i advice you to buy s3
38. baraheemo (Posts: 15; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
I have already one but i advice you to buy s3
39. MrMohsin10 (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 May 2013)
Hey people, I'm thinking of buying this phone. The things I prefer in phones is a good big display, an eye catching design and the most most important, Extreeeeme gaming performance!
I'm more than satisfied with its display and design and all...
But I'm worried about the gaming angle. I've seen videos and have read comments about the Videocore IV GPU of the device giving it a hard time in gaming :(
Is this so? I've seen Modern Combat 4 with some minor bugs in the visuals, is this the same with some other games too? How many games are buggy on this device and what can I expect with gaming on this device? Do the newly released high end games like Real Boxing, Real racing 3, etc, work good on this device? The framerates and all...
(Please no suggestions of high budgeted devices because I have a limited budget...
My range is around 250-300$)
40. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Well, to be honest, if gaming is really important to you, I doubt this is the device you are looking for. I don't know where you are living, but since you're giving price range in dollars: why don't you buy the Nexus 4? It is in that price range and will satisfy your needs.
41. MrMohsin10 (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 May 2013)
I quoted the price in dollars just to be on the same page with most of the people out there!
I live in Pakistan though...
And nexus 4 is much expensive than the s2 plus here :-(
I myself also wanted the nexus 4 but sadly, it's out of range for me :'(
Can you suggest me some other phones having the best gaming potential in the s2 plus' price range...
42. toondewachter (Posts: 54; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
It is very hard to recommend something if I don't know what's available in your region and at what cost. I live in Belgium and we have a similar situation here: no cheap Nexus 4...
Here the HTC One S and the Xperia T can be bought for around €350 which is roughly the same price as the S2 Plus. But it features a much better chipset. You could look out for those.