Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Apple iPhone 4S
0. phoneArena 02 Dec 2011, 10:35 posted on
Now that we've closely examined the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S II side by side, and determined that Google's latest and greatest does indeed set new standards with its redesigned software platform and beautiful screen, it seems like the next logical step for us is to set the stage for a nice tactical fight between the new Nexus and the overly-polished iPhone 4S...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
"Figuratively speaking" of course XD
Remind me whats been added in iOS5?
Hell, remind me whats been changed in the 4S lol
This is barely a competition
Galaxy Nexus FTW!!!!!!!
4. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
you are right but iphonearena would never agree.
107. medalaster01 (Posts: 40; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
writer indirectly concluded its iphone4s which is better.
117. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
iPhoneArena needs to SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT! The design of the iPhone is NOT Apple's original design! They copied the Garmin Nuvi 3790T's design, which won a design award!
Looks strangely similar doesn't it??!
ALSO...glass is no longer a "premium material" However, GORILLA GLASS is a premium material!
135. hobble (Posts: 130; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
I thought they copied a samsung phone that was released just before the original iphone?
7. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
I bet they used an iPhone 4 in the video, no one would have been able to tell the difference lol
why not do the GALAXY Nexus vs. the GALAXY Note?
94. Mkondrak (Posts: 9; Member since: 19 Feb 2011)
its a iphat 4s because it has sprint logo on the top part of the screen
110. kshell1 (Posts: 1117; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
you do know that since the 4s released they are selling an 8gb iphone4 at sprint now right?
41. andro. (Posts: 1926; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
alot has been added to the iphone 4s.....faults,more and more faulty additions appearing by the week judging by reports
128. milominderbinder (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
The iPhone 4S is still missing:
2. Any size other than Extra Small
3. Notification LED
5. Removable Battery
6. HD Video Chat (still VGA, WiFi)
8. Facebook Sync
11. Full Gmail (Priority Inbox, etc.)
12. DRM-Free Music like Google & Amazon
14. Other App Markets like Amazon or GetJar
15. 15-Minute free trial on apps
16. Theming (unless Jailbroken)
17. Visual Voicemail with Contact Photos
18. True hands-free Voice Coomands
19. Turn-by-turn navigation
20. Live Wallpaper
21. Haptic feedback (vibrate on key-touch)
23. Real predictive keyboards like SwiftKey
24. Bluetooth Mouse/keyboard
25. Goggles, Voice, etc.
Phonearena, how little are your hands?
137. scottz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
microSD and 15-minutes app trials are the only features on this I would want on an iphone. Some simply add costs for most(1,10) Many aren't real value adds(2,9,10,13,14,16,20) . While others simply aren't accurate (6,8,12,17,18). Again, only a couple of these items really add any value for a vast majority of people.
157. tedkord (Posts: 3777; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Sorry, but to claim the 4G only adds cost is just ridiculous. I would never go back to 3G since getting 4G. Downloads take seconds instead of minutes. Also, flash is a value add, having used phone browsers with and without it, I would choose to have it every time, at least until the whole web goes HTML5.
And, video chat is still only VGA and restricted to WiFi, so that one is true.
I do agree that many in the list are, at best, preferences. But, choice is what makes Android a better choice for many.
42. DaveyJE24 (Posts: 54; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
dear iphonearena. You suck. But yet I continue to come back to read your reviews in hopes of one day your magical iPhone could be dethroned.
53. Paden (Posts: 262; Member since: 07 Jul 2011)
Are you guys blind?
iPhone = 8.5 out of 10
Nexus = 9.5 out of 10
63. DaveyJE24 (Posts: 54; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
thats just a number. Im talking about how almost everything is better on the iphone lol according to the iphonearena bums.
72. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
tell me about it. Phonearena rates iphone 8.5 cause of the lack of a real upgrade.
Nexus get 9.5 for a true leap in the OS and phone. Yet these guys keep bitching how biased phonearena is.
It's to give up and laugh at their permanent ranting.
73. wakingup (Posts: 51; Member since: 13 Aug 2011)
They should go look at the iphone's user reviews too...
93. Lucas777 (Posts: 2121; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
oh ya michael heller who self proclaimed likes android over ios.. wonder why u chose him?
118. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Why? I've stopped reading phoneArena, there are much better places to read now, like:
I only stop by here once in a LOOONG while. Just like with Engadget, I've totally stopped reading that site.
125. rayjones09 (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Dec 2010)
Well judging by the links you posted, you're an avid Android fan. There's nothing wrong with that, but please don't flame. Just because Android may seemingly lose once in awhile doesn't mean a site is bias. As a matter of fact, the ratings clearly show that PhoneArena views the Nexus S very highly, even better than the iPhone. I don't understand why you all are so upset. The Nexus wins in some respects and loses in others. Seriously, PhoneArena is a great website. I'm a Windows fan and I come here everyday; despite them rating all the second-gen Windows Phones a 7.5 (excluding the Focus S). While I disagreed with some scores, I wouldn't call them biased, and nor did I complain. Give it a rest you all, please. It's gotten really, really old...
138. scottz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Read what you want to read, please don't spam.
74. wakingup (Posts: 51; Member since: 13 Aug 2011)
I strongly believe that phonearena in this case is biased. ICS is finnally catching up to IOS??? Come one, its just you...remember, you can make an android look likt the IOS if you were really picky...but can you make a iphone run on ICS??? NO. In fact, I think the hicups faced by the nexus (i cant tell for certain because i dont have one yet) is that there were too many background applications. Most reviews on phonearena, I doubt they kill background tasks before "noticing a lag or a freeze or so forth."
119. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Yea, it's ironic that Android is "catching up" to IOS when IOS 5's latest features clearly are based off of Android's features (voice actions, drop down notification shade, etc).
Seriously people, dump this place, it's easy. Just delete it from your bookmarks.
139. scottz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Siri is a significant shift on how to interact via voice with devices. If you can't see this it is simply because you haven't taken the time.
I found the review on this site to be fair and balanced even though they rated the Galaxy Nexus higher than the 4S and I am a 4S owner. I simply preferred the 4S, it was a tough decision. (size, cost, app store)
86. Retro-touch (Posts: 236; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Ray S is VERY descriptive in his comparisons of the Galaxy Nexus vs Iphone 4S. He negates every positive aspect of the GN with abit better or slightly and exaggerates the Iphone's strong points. Superior frame rate of 30 FPS he didn't even mention that in the SGS2 vs GN comparison but here he had to highlight it yet the SGS2 records at 30 FPS. What does he means the browser on the Iphone has more frames, explain what the hell you mean by such statements cause I sure don't see those frames???!!! This reviewer is a MASSIVE IDIOT when its a vs Iphone but professional in other reviews. Clearly he's biased
120. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Well, you know he's a f@cking idiot when he claims that 30fps is "better than" 24fps.
Clearly, this tool has no idea what he's talking about.
Hollywood movies are filmed in 24p and blu-ray is 24p native. 24p is the frame rate that's "sought after" for its film like qualities, vs home movie like qualities.
140. scottz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
Doesn't change the fact the iPhone took better videos.
111. oldarney (Posts: 4; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Im also amazed that he forgot to mention that the 4S has ZERO lte, which makes it worse for MMO's, Heavy weabsites or HD video... oh thats right, the 4S isn't HD either!
Granted, the camera sort of sucks... Although its three times faster then the 4S.
133. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
damn iPhoneArena really meant it to go to the Apple side
2. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
84. FAW-Q (Posts: 63; Member since: 29 Jul 2011)
Nothing pleases you Android fans. Phone arena is one of the only places on the net that doesn't post biased articles. Try going to gizmoto or engadget, and you'll notice the lack of android fans there due to the extensive iphone coverage. Ever wondered why there are so many android fans on "iphonearena"? But who really cares? phone arena is making AD cash off of you retarded ass people. Thumbs Down please! Thanks.
91. Paden (Posts: 262; Member since: 07 Jul 2011)
I also noticed how negative a lot of people are on the Phone Arena comment sections. Most other websites I go to have people commenting on the article and not using it as an argument point for their views. There is still some arguing, but not as much. A lot of people need to lighten up on here.
I love Phone Arena's coverage and writers. They have their stances, but try to remain as unbiased as possible.
126. rayjones09 (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Dec 2010)
Yea...this comments section is ridiculous. An editor should get fired for commenters getting mad at him due to 'perceived' bias? Come on now. This is slightly worse than usual. And to be honest, a good 70% or so of this website is Android coverage. So when the relatively anomalous coverage of the iPhone comes, why get angry? It makes no sense.
96. ph00ny (Posts: 556; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I don't have an issue with phonearena but every single piece written by Ray S has shown ton of biased opinions. If i can tell whether this piece was written by ray s or not by the first two paragraph, there is an issue
122. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
IPHONEARENA SHOULD FIRE RAY S.
Thumbs up if you agree!
121. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
How did they forget to mention the LTE ability of the GN?
And even if they did, they would label it "just slightly" better than the iPhone 4S's 3G speed ROFL!!!!!!
141. scottz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
I didn't want a phone with LTE. I didn't want the added cost of Verizon and I didn't want to pay the 4 tax with Sprint. I was thrilled the 4S came with 3G only as I can't regularly access a 4G network, nor can most of the world.
3. Kjayhawk (Posts: 271; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
As an iPhone user I can defiantly say that the ICS blows iOS 5 out of the water. iOS5is a nice update but defiantly should have been implemented earlier. iOS is an awesome OS if you want a very basic experience and like games on your phone. I think android is far more superior for myself. The phone really does depend on the person. Thats why I'm selling my iPhone 4s and going back to android
8. jove39 (Posts: 1194; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
lol...I did same...month back.
I bought iPhone to experience iOS and all...phone is good...but boring and UN-DURABLE...its so called premium glass construction sucks compared to my Galaxy S's plastic body...don't believe me...drop both of them on floor...from 4' :)
15. Synack (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Thank you for your opinion, I am running the 4S but have been with Android for awhile now. If the Nexus is really that much better then I'll be returning the iPhone for it.
5. splus (Posts: 9; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
What a crappy comparison!
If you want to write a comparison then you should be *at least* somewhat objective. This article is very partial.
6. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
check any of the " vs iphone reveiws and you will find the same results. till the time apple cant come up with a bigger and better screen they iphonearena will keep saying that 3.5 inch is the perfect size. basically anything which apple cant do, is not good doesnt matter how good android is.
142. scottz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
yet the first few minutes in I thought it was being partial to Android. All in all I thought it was pretty damn fair.
9. stevenberry54 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Slightly ironic that the thumbnails of the two devices comparing dimensions.. makes the iPhone look literally like an "ice cream sandwich" on top of... ICS... lol
11. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
I love the feeling you get when its time to upgrade your smartphone and you're so excited and spending hours researching them and playing with them thinking, I could own this. Sadly I probably won't experience that again until sometime next year.
I even had to fight myself back from trading in my Sensation + $100 for a new Razr.
Getting a new phone is so exciting! The anticipation of opening the box and removing the screen protector is unforgettable!
43. andro. (Posts: 1926; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
agreed,now imagine an apple fan doing the exact same and removing the box screen protector off their iphone 4s to find the exact same iphone they unboxed last year waiting for them,they must be so excited!
12. taz89 (Posts: 1895; Member since: 03 May 2011)
didnt the galaxy nexus get a better review and score than the 4s so shouldnt that mean that its the better phone?
17. bbblader (Posts: 520; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
NO what iphonearena decides thats best! who am i kidding the Galaxy Nexus should have one it when the idea even became reality ijoke is the best thing if your iphonearena even if the android symbian windows and other OS's better
19. vette21man (Posts: 351; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Good point taz89.
I felt like this comparison was pretty good and unbiased as much as possible, but the end result was "no clear winner" and "you'll be happy with either of these great phones."
Then shouldn't both devices just get a 9 rating?
I didn't hear enough reason in this comparison to warrant the full 1 point score difference (Nexus to 4S, 9.5 to 8.5).
22. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
couldn`t agree more
31. taz89 (Posts: 1895; Member since: 03 May 2011)
dont see the point of head to heads if you not going to pick a winner..every other sites that do head to head say the same but at least they have the guts to pick a winner...seems like any phone that comes against the iphone it always ends with iphone as a winner or if the other phone is better then its you will be happy eith either.
124. NeXoS (Posts: 277; Member since: 03 May 2011)
if they say anything bad about any fruit logo'ed device, they'll lose their secret viral marketing funding from Apple!
23. ReturningToNokia (Posts: 130; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
@taz89 - Not necessarily. Keep in mind that phone reviews aren't always conducted by the same reviewer, thus the review scores and opinions are going to be different. The Galaxy Nexus was reviewed by Ray S.; the IPhone4s was reviewed by John V.
25. vette21man (Posts: 351; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
True points ReturningToNokia.
However, each review conducted is always "on behalf of Phone Arena." So, a review on "this" phone conducted by "this" reviewer should be comparable to "that" phone conducted by "that" reviewer.
Before posting scores, there has to be some calibration or peer-review meeting where everyone agrees on the final score.
And if they DON'T, then they SHOULD.