Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 vs Samsung Galaxy Note II
0. phoneArena 27 May 2013, 07:48 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 and the Samsung Galaxy Note II have a lot in common, don't they? Both are massive, feature-rich smartphones that are made for multimedia consumption and large-screen entertainment. Both have Android running on them enhanced by Samsung with a dose of minor and major software tricks. But putting their specs sheets side by side shows that the Note II is superior to the Mega 5.8 in a number of ways. Does that translate into a better user experience in real life?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. zhiae (unregistered)
not a battle
13. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 433; Member since: 26 May 2011)
This is true, but as least users now have a good visual of how much bigger the note III will be than the note II.
18. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
True, but I feel like Napoleon (or an iPhone) next to that Samsung Mega (says my Galaxy Note II).
30. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Fun Fact: Napoleon actually wasn't short. He was 5'7"
24. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
This phone is actually for those who need a handy GSM tablet.
Samsung is caring for all type of people.
2. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3583; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I still like the Note II better...no thanks Mega.
You're literally out of my pocket.
Bigger is not always better.
6. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
give pure iphone user this phone and ask them what do they think this device is, they will probably guess it as mini tablet. phone would never occur to them
10. therealestboy (Posts: 47; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Of course not, this phone is garbage. the screen is probably more pixelated than a feature phone. Samsung is ruining the Galaxy brand.
12. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
realestboy um you do realize galaxy is samsung how can the ruin the brand they are the brand your point is invalid. Screen is def not pixelated by the way
16. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3583; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
While i disagree on the garbage comment, i guess he meant to say Galaxy line...
And yeah, the resolution on a 5.8 screen is definitely going to pixelate! 190ppi is will not be a happy sight to see...
25. ncarlosmiguel (Posts: 206; Member since: 14 May 2013)
Nope, I don't know if you're all using a microscope when looking at your phones but 162ppi in my iPad mini's 7.9inch screen doesn't look pixelated to me. Looks dull compared to my GS3 but definitely not pixelated.
3. papss (unregistered)
I think at that size they both look goofy but do love the inside of the note 2 and the s pen
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Note2 all the way,but if you're after the price tag,the mega is the better alternative
17. DaHarder (Posts: 177; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
So... Then. Don't. Buy. One.
Though neither of these devices is anywhere close to being a 'mini TV'.
Anyway... Whoever wrote this article might want to correct the FACT that the Galaxy Note II is 'more narrow' than the Mega 5.8, not 'less narrow'.
7. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
when do samsung change design language?
9. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
When when they hired someone who is creative enough
15. sennarose88 (Posts: 54; Member since: 18 Jun 2009)
When their designers running out of soap stock
8. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Note II for life.... until Note III comes out
23. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
But I heard they are going to pump up the size of note 3 to 5.9 inches? :s
11. iami67 (Posts: 318; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I just have to say I have a Note 2 and can use one hand with it. I have relatively average if not small hands as well so for the author to say you cant use either of these phones with one hand well, he must have midget hands cause you def can use it with one hand I do so everyday.
20. kriss (Posts: 9; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Yes, you can use it with one hand, but is it comfortable, or to say more - secure? I've got fairly big hands and I can not say I enjoy size of my Note II all the times - sometimes I wish it would be a bit more narrow to allow more secure grip. Still once you get over size issue it is one of the best handsets on the market (IMHO of course :))
19. ajac09 (Posts: 1480; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Id still love to see the note 3 made out of the mega. Mega body with note performance omg a phablet to rule them all
21. kriss (Posts: 9; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Looks like Sammy wants to have devices in all sizes - you have SIII, slightly bigger SIV, then recently released 8.0 and then note/tab 10.1, Mega 6.3... What they will release next? Giga with 7 inch screen?
22. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Steve Jobs, "you're doing it wrong samsung"
26. Mobilephile (Posts: 143; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
It's an Ascend Mate wannabe :) seriously though I think the 6.3 mega would be a more interesting comparison
28. McLTE (Posts: 804; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Not sure why Samsung went backwards with the Mega here.. look at the bezel and area above and below the screen. Seems to me they increased the "dead space" instead of continued to shrink it!
I sure HOPE the Note3 isn't going to be this big... or bigger yet. That would be unfortunate. What I'd like to see Samsung do is cram as big of a screen as possible into a chassis approx the same size as the current note2. Give it a tiny bezel like the GS4 and call it done.
I really don't want a bigger phone, but I'll take a bigger display! :)
29. samsuper (Posts: 29; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Not a good comparison Note 2 is only comparable with note 3
31. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3696; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
This is moreover a size comparison.
43. Dadler22 (Posts: 161; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Samsung, we have the $ to do whatever we want.
44. RomeoJDR (Posts: 243; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Shortly after this thing is released the Note 3 will be out driving the pricing of the Note 2 down to what the Mega will likely be. Who's going to be buying this thing?