Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 Review
0. phoneArena 22 May 2013, 09:27 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 is a member of a rare breed. While it has the specs of a mid-range device, its appearance might make an unassuming buyer think that it's one beast of a phone. That's because its front is occupied by a massive, 5.8-inch touchscreen, which happens to be the smartphone's stand-out feature. Note that our review is based on the Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 Duos. This is the dual-SIM variant of the smartphone, which is identical to the single-SIM version in terms of design and hardware specs...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Sammy should've passed on this one. The 6.3 @720p makes sense once you look at it as a pocketable call-ready tablet instead of anything related to a phone - yet it only makes sense with the right price tag. The 5.8 one with the low pixel density and quite weak HW does not.
5. Diego! (Posts: 547; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
I agree. Though is the Jumbo version, the 6.3 is far better than this one!
2. istitch (Posts: 180; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
I thought it would be 7.5 or even 8, well you know, it's samsung after all.
20. ebubekir26 (Posts: 313; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
what do you mean with the last sentence?
we know it's Samsung
we know the highest (review) score in PhoneArena is a Samsung device (S4)
... have a nice day
8. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
How sad is your pathetic life that you feel the need to click on a review just to post such an unintelligent and trollish comment? You must have the Samsung RAGE deep in your soul...sucks to be you.
11. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Seeing a Samsung getting this kind of score makes ma happy. I was like, "SUCKKK THAT!"
4. Kurai (unregistered)
the ppi is really low . . . but i understand what they're doing here. they're testing the response of the market with different screen sizes . . .
6. ryan5609 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
Having a tough time understanding why this or the 6.3 exists. The market for such a large phone must be incredibly small, like 6'6"+ tall market. Throw in the s**tty screen resolution and s**tty processor, the only thing it has going for it is Android 4.2.2. Unless this thing is under $50 or free with new 2 yr. at launch, I see no reason why someone would pass up the GS4 or possibly the Note II to get this. Luckily, I think Samsung can afford a dud or two.
7. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3687; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It's not made for the U.S. market, man. The chances of this or the 6.3 being picked up by one of our carriers is slim to none. Therefore, you won't see any prices with a 2-year contract. That's mostly a North American model.
10. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Agreed. The Note 3 will be just as jumbo-sized as this one, but will have the 1080 display and top-tier processors it deserves. And that model will make it to the North American carriers (for a price).
9. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
I agree with g2a these phones are not made for our market. If they were I would be interested in one for the right price, I use my phone for nothing more then texting and internet, I use about 80 min a month in calling so that doesnt worry me.
27. myname (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Jun 2015)
I know ur comment was in 2013, but how stupid do you feel now?
13. N-fanboy (Posts: 543; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
Errrr good, if it coasts south of $200 that is.
14. imkyle (Posts: 1069; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
190 PPI. That is pretty sad. This and the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 need to back to the factory and be dismissed.
15. wh3resmycar (Posts: 3; Member since: 05 May 2013)
uhh stupid and silly folks... before you bash the phone this isn't for the US market. dimwits....
16. imkyle (Posts: 1069; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
People outside the US deserve good phones too.
17. Phaze0085 (Posts: 112; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
so what, Phonearena doesnt do video reviews anymore? WTH!!!
18. slaggyb (Posts: 201; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
if Ray s reviewed this phone, he will give it an 8.5 and stress how fast and lag free it is..it is plagued with the same lagginess as the galaxy s4... Good job for doing a good review...i wish people like you do reviews on here steadily unlike RAY S AND PARTNER IN CRIME JOHN V
19. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Too much small
21. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
Once again, Samsung is flooding the market with its way-to-big phones. Having a large screen size can be good, but not phone someone with a pillow. It's so hard to hold 5+ inch phones. 5 inch is just right. Offers a good experience watching videos and viewing photos, while keeping just enough space for one hand operation.
22. kbayer (Posts: 19; Member since: 08 Feb 2010)
Why would they go all out on size but skimp on features? Why not offer the best of everything at a fair price? Simply goofy. All respect for Samsung just went right out the window.
24. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
20 inch phone complete with the ability to detect the motion of your Kung Fu and call someone, and 'smart leave' which turns on the screen when you look away and turns off when you look at the screen. Got problem with fragile glass? Samsung Galaxy Glass provides a shatter-ful experience throughout the phone's life. Fortunately the phone lasts for half a year so your money is 'very well spent'.
23. gws898 (Posts: 14; Member since: 31 May 2013)
PhoneArena, does it have FM Radio widget on Galaxy Mega 5.8?
26. midodido (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
I got my phone from Dubai, and it has a Radio and a widget.
25. midodido (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
since I updated the last os 4.3 and i can't enjoy any calling app, as all my calls can't be heard unless in loud speaker. not the phone speaker or the head phones, also whenever I play a video, it tells me that i can't play a video during a call, when no calls are on.
very carp os. I wanna get rid of those problems, what can I do.
no viber, Tango or even kakao talk are working without loud speakers.
but phone calls are fine.