Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 Review
0. phoneArena 05 Jul 2012, 04:09 posted on
The original Ace was a very decent phone for its bucks last year, and the Ace 2 is quite on the way to cover that ground this year as well. It has a decent size screen with good resolution, slightly underclocked yet dual-core processor, and 5MP cam with flash plus a front-facing camera. Its only disadvantage seems to be that it comes with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, but read on to see what you get...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
Deserves that score.
This phone has issues:
1. Selling for $300+ (seriously?)
2. Poor camera (can be forgiven)
3. Unappealing design (can be forgiven)
4. Android 2.3 (what the hell)
5. Point number 4
3. TylerGrunter (Posts: 861; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Seriously? I think it will sell quite well.
I'm not ging to defend it defects (like still 2.3) but it has several things against the competition:
Over Sony Xperia Sola: much better battery life, front facing camera and more RAM.
Over HTC one V: dual core processor, front facing camera, better battery life, more RAM, NFC if you want it.
It's just Samsung tactic: they give better tech specs that the other phones in the range, not mojo or anything, just the old bang for the buck.
And I expect price to go down shortly to $250 as in Europe the price is 250 Euros.
Just my opinion, but I would be surprised if it sells bad. The old ACE was REALLY bad and it sold in droves...
6. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
You can't say for battery life. Xperia Sola too gives 1 and half days of usage.
The extra RAM is hardly making that big a difference, SLOWER processor
One V has a stable and smooth ICS, with the usable Sense UI too.
This phone would make sense when it sells at Xperia U price. You're right, a $250 would be the sweet spot.
7. Jabarkas (Posts: 17; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
You are wrong. Xperia Sola and Galaxy Ace 2 have exactly the same processor (NovaThor U8500). The only difference is 200 mhz. That means GA 2 is underclocked probably for slightly better battery life. To be honest, it's more than probable, that both phones have more or less the same power.
On the other hand Xperia U is clearly a lower model.
9. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
I write for a website with phones being my speciality. I already know about the ST-Ericsson Novathor chipset in both of them.
But that alone isn't criteria for battery life. It's the software loads that ultimately decide. Oh yeah screen size too (in case you forgot, Sony's lineup Sola and Xperia U have smalled LED displays)
12. TylerGrunter (Posts: 861; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Well, actually I CAN speak about battery life based on the specificications both OEMs give about their phones:
The battery times of the ACE are 50% higher in any account, that´s no joke.
That and the fact the Samsung is famous to optimize battery life. Sony is not bad either there, but they tend to use smaller batteries and that figures.
In this case ACE: 1500 mAh and Sola 1320 mAh.
8. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
All consumers care these days are brand .
People will buy it BECAUSE it's a Samsung
5. Mafiatounes (Posts: 12; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
1. Here in the Netherlands and Belgium i can buy this device for 220€! That is a nice price for this device.
2. Camera well it is not a high end, but it could get better with updates maybe.
3. To each his own.
4. There was a video of a Ace 2 showing off stock ICS so it will come.
15. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
updates ? you kidding me ? thats not a high end device so you think samsung will care ?
21. PorkyBurger (Posts: 196; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Well, I guess SAMSUNG CARED. Then why Ace 2 has official JB?
2. Jabarkas (Posts: 17; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
The review is nice, but I strongly disagree with the rating. In most aspects Ace 2 is better than its competitor - xperia Sola (which got 8/10).
4. TylerGrunter (Posts: 861; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
It will be one of those phones were customer reviews will be a lot higher than the PA rating. I'm not going to say that this one is better than the sola, but I'm with you, the difference is too big.
10. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1044; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Samsung, do you even spend more than 5 seconds designing your phones anymore. "Umm... We'll make it black, rectangular, round edges. Add a little bit of chrome in there too! Ugh, we're so good."
11. saiki4116 (Posts: 324; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
A phone that covers every thing and wont burn a hole in your pocket.I was thinking of buying ACE2 or xperia U.The only thing that bugged me about the Xperia U is the lack of memory card expansion slot(you have to manage everything in the user accessible 4GB).I have used Xperia U in a mall,it flies through day to day tasks.The processor in Xperia U and ACE2 are same.When i saw the rating,I thought it might have had a large issue,After reading the review,I think that this phone certainly deserves more.
Seriously are you downgrading points for gingerbread?
Any how samsung's ICS is not that beautifull,I would go for CM9.
13. thunderising (Posts: 225; Member since: 25 Nov 2011)
^^ That is if we have a CM9 port for it.
16. saiki4116 (Posts: 324; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
if CM10(Jelly Bean) port exists for galaxy pop,fit why not CM9 available for a capable device like this...
14. sylviaali (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
plzzzzzzzzzz give an expert opinion which i s better n shud b bought Either is its smasung galaxy ace 2 or HTC One V..............im clueless ...........
17. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Specs and speed ace
Design , ui , camera , audio get one v
However I would get an Xperia u
18. zianov (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Dec 2012)
thX fOr all details :) guYs i reallY need help i'm cOnfused between the galaxY ace 2 and the galaxY W so all Opinions r welcOme thx peace !
19. ozziepete (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
does the galaxy ace 2 have MHL to HDMI support? and what brand of cable do one recommend? or is there any other way to connect to my HD TV??
20. azizul_samsung (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
what is the price of Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 in Malaysia now?
22. PorkyBurger (Posts: 196; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Ahh, can't wait to get this phone. Costs only 180$, awesome (Yeah, and Sola costs 50$ more, dont mention Xperia P)! I love the design, hardware, OS (though, I am upgrading it to JB or CM, ASAP.) It's just brilliant for my budget, can't find a better alternative. Deserves a better score! SRSLY