Samsung ATIV S Review
0. phoneArena 01 Nov 2012, 09:16 posted on
Samsung's ATIV S is a strange kind of Windows Phone device. Not because it does anything wrong, but because it really stands out from the first batch of Windows Phone 8 devices. While Nokia and HTC are trying to come up with most lively and cheerful colors, Samsung has decided to go with the strict, business kind of look with the ATIV S, resembling some of the company's old Windows Mobile devices...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
36. Aeires (unregistered)
My guess is they are looking at future update processes. When the hardware is all similar, pushing OS updates won't be as much of a headache.
20. _Bone_ (Posts: 2140; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The Lumia 920 is huge, feels much more robust than the skinny and tall Ativ S. The 920 has to put on a monumental effort for me to consider it over a high-end Sammy or the stunningly priced Nexus 4.
25. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Remember, the Nexus 4 has a smaller screen and no 4G LTE, if that matters to you.
22. JamesHunt (Posts: 37; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
28. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
we should want all of these wp8 to succeed thats the only way apps gonna multiply more faster
compatetion is for companies
choices are for consumers
29. aco96 (Posts: 212; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
I want this phone sooo bad. I agree that Lumia 920 is better, but I prefer elegant phones :)
30. Martine (Posts: 102; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
If I was ever going to buy a windows phone, then it would be the Ativ S. I've always preferred SD card and removable battery option over anything. Also the phones looks way more beautiful and most Samsung phones out there.
33. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 915; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Wow that home button with the Windows logo looks awful, Samsung please go capacitive or go home.
35. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
While I still plan on getting the Lumia 920, its nice to see that samsung is finally being serious about the platform. If the S3 is anything to go off of, hardware wise, this phone looks to be a solid contender in the WP8 market. As for the HTC 8x, they would have to prove to me that they can make a quality device before I would invest in one. Excited for wp8!
37. osaFromJava (Posts: 34; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Design wise, this is better than toy-ish 920 or 8x..
69. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Have you ever held a 920, or even the 900 that came before? They are anything but toyish. No offense to Samsung and this fantastic phone, but lets take your Ativ-S and my Lumia 920 and skip them across some pavement. Then you tell me how toyish my Lumia is while using it to call on your Samsung's warranty.
39. djstammo (Posts: 16; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
2 different reviews and this one is a bit more negative. GSMa**** said that sound quality is very nice and the camera work fine (proofed with samples). So whom to beleive?
40. snowgator (Posts: 3290; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
And a WP finally breaks the 8.0 ratings barrier.
I am excited for this device. My Focus S has been a fantastic joy to use, and the Galaxy series didn't just fall into great world wide sales- they excelled on Android. Samsung know how to max out performance. Just some "The Next Big Thing Is Here" style advertising, and the Nokia's may really, really have some premium competition, not to mention the iPhone, and the RAZR MAXX HD, and the HTC 1X, and the HTC 8X, and ......
43. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
if a bit too big is a con then a bit too small should be a con too..there is no perfect size what if big for someone might be small for someone else and vice versa
44. NateAdam8 (Posts: 225; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
HTC for Windows Phone and the could focus on making a HTC Titan 3 and HTC Radar 2 that'd be nice but HTC is Windows Phone and has been sense Windows Mobile.
46. DLUVPARMAR (Posts: 50; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
its not purewiew technology,no hd+ display,no best map service,no city lens app,no free music stream,no wireless charging.......yes i m saying its worth buy and wait lumia 920 is real king of in phone market n its back with vengence.......
47. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 863; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
You idiots. When they say big they aren't talking about it's 8.7mm waistline. They're talking about the overall area of it when its in your hand. The 920 may be thicker due to its wireless charging capabilities but overall it's a smaller phone when holding it.
49. darkknight (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
The review is writen by a desperate apple fan who try by his best to come over the most stupid ugly is**t ever been produced by a halv eaten apple company.
He names microsoft desperate OMG the most popular OS company.
He says that the UI is the same as W7 no matter if some try to convice you but Is**t phone has the same UI sinse my grandma, hahaha. Hopless try from Is**t fans to come over that all people will change to WP and Nokia specially.
50. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
It's funny cause the Samsung Ativ S is the same size as the Galaxy S3 but yet they call it "A bit too big for some users"......................So Galaxy S doesn't have this disadvantage???
52. Miley_3d (Posts: 16; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
ATIV S is Beautiful, but Nokia Lumia 920 is better more than Ativ S.
53. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
I don't understand, GSMarena said that the Ativ's camera is the same as the one found on the Samsung galaxy S3 and even better sometimes.
54. DLUVPARMAR (Posts: 50; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Why are u confuse? please wait n watch lumia 920 rewiew.
55. denn90 (Posts: 14; Member since: 03 May 2011)
I'm not a Windows Phone Fan But I have to admit I am Diggin this s**t right here
60. sallu (Posts: 11; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
if the phone is thinner is it a good one????no...
Size doesn't matter most, feature matter most..
So 920 & 820 both r better than ATIV.
I don't. Like Samsung bec the material they r using for there model are not good as compared to Nokia......
64. dhscrugco (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
I really like the idea of a LARGE screen after being stuck with an HTC Trophy for 2 yrs.
I'll have to hold them (8X and ATIV) side by side to decide if 4.3 is going to be big enough.
66. sonerxman (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
A SIMPLE PHONE SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 employing will derive from what it is .. :)
67. sonerxman (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Go to Nokia mp3 player or something you leave this job Generate
71. JHope (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
I will buy 2 Samsung Ativ s Phone once it is available in USA market.
95. jameshoe (unregistered)
we can see here is Samsung ATIV S review, but here most of the people are Nokia fans
96. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Most people on here are android fans, so dunno where your getting that from
97. jameshoe (unregistered)
are you sure? or you should take a look again at the first page of the review
98. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
haha your confusing those saying the 920 is better to nokia fans, there are many android and apple users who say the same thing.
there are few nokia fans on here, the order goes something like -android fans, apple fans,windows fans, bb fans. these are then scattered into like samsung fans etc
basically there not nokia fans there saying the nokia is the better choice in there opinion (some go abit far ofcourse)