Nokia Lumia 920 vs Apple iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 03 Dec 2012, 09:42 posted on
Apple introduced the bravest overhaul to the iPhone so far with the 5th edition, shattering its 3.5” screen dogma, and Nokia logged its first 4.5” phone with more than one processor core, so in a sense both the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920 are not a simple evolution of what had been before in the iOS and WP universes. Which one pulled it off better? Read on our comparison to find out...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
23. enterthemax (Posts: 6; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
There's also another feature you didn't mention: wireless charging! It's not revolutionary, but it's very useful and gives a point to the Nokia!
42. -box- (Posts: 3470; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It was mentioned. Not as fast as wired but more convenient
112. pipeb (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
hey please help.. i write from LatAm..The Lumia 920 comes in january. What about apps we already have in the iphone 4+, such as podcast, ibooks, newsstand and others. Do you know if nokia has something similar? it is quite important..
116. enterthemax (Posts: 6; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
There is Nokia reading for ebooks (bit also the good kindle app), for newsstand there are different apps and podcasts can be heared and downloaded through xbox music
66. Tsimeone (Posts: 4; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Or NFC, which i really hope takes off soon. I'm happy to pay swipe and go.. no fannying around with loading fancy apps with barcodes etc
25. EasycapExpertti (Posts: 12; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
The Bluetooth.org website now lists the Lumia 920 and the Lumia 820 as both receiving the certification for Bluetooth 4.0. Besides that Nokia Lumia 920 is the first smartphone which supports Pentaband LTE vs iPhone 5 doesn't support all LTE frequencies in Europe.
26. RapidCat (Posts: 340; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
thanks for this article.
after reading and watch the video.
i'm sure i'm not pick the wrong choice when buying Galaxy S III
i can setting my phone the way i like.
35. nando2do (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
the iphone 5 looks like a child phone is way to small it looks cool but is also so much fragile, so why do i want a 7.8 mm thick phone if i have to carry it with a case makes no sense..
100. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
it still needs covers since the anotized aluminum scratches so easily. and bulky covers is something which make the device as thick as Lumia 920, which on the other hand does not need any covers.
67. Tsimeone (Posts: 4; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Why i like the nokia, it's well built and feels like a phone, and dosn't feel like a toy..
106. HDee89 (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
I don't think that's necessarily true, the iphone 5 is the first iphone that isn't so fragile. It could definitely survive some harsh drops, and I don't think it looks like a child's phone, however the screen is certainly too small for users like myself.
39. Pdubb (Posts: 225; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
I had to laugh at the video. he said the voice functionality was limited in WP8 but it did the same thing as the iphone except say it out loud. The same exact words get the same information.
43. iamunknown (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
i dont understand why everyone except few people hates Apple..??
may be because Apple is still at no. 1 position..!! :-)
99. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
I don't hate Apple, I actually like iPhones, iPads and Apple design in general. But iPhone 5 just gives no match for Lumia 920
128. rayxxxray (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
I used to love the iPhone and was a die hard fan. Had the 3g, 4, and 4s. Was hoping for a much bigger screen on the 5, but wasnt to happy with just a 4". Switched over to the Galaxy S3 and loved it even more. Loved the big screen,, but hated the battery life. Tried my friends Lumia 920 and totally was blown away. Getting the new Lumia 930 later this year when its time to upgrade. Time for you to open your eyes and give it a try. Like what tpranta says, its no match for the Lumia 920.
45. iamunknown (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
you are just convincing yourself that lumia is best...but you know the truth that iPhone 5 is the best..!!
48. tiara6918 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Nokia Lumia 920 is the best wp device ever made!
50. windy (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
How can you carry that big chunky Lumia in your pocket. If you're a girl you would by putting it in your bag; but guys come on !
Making it bigger is easy but making a classy and handy phone and packing it with the best camera (check the white tones on Lumia, aren't they look exaggerated?) ,fastest graphics and web browsing speed is the toughest job, and which apple is proudly providing us.
I accept Lumia is a new fresh choice to Nokia lovers, but overall iphone 5 is the best phone.
54. iamunknown (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
totally agreed..!! you took my words windy..!! :-)
70. pookiewood (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Fits perfect in my jeans. Stop wearing chick/skinny jeans.
98. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
- The smaller and the lighter the device, the easier to handle with one hand. The bigger the device, the bigger the screen, and the easier to read and interact with the virtual keyboard, no need for zooming either. Also heaviness can be comforting and give a feeling of a solid build quality. And you actually feel the device is still with you, no need to check if it was stolen, like I constantly did with my 85g Nokia feature phone.
- Making a phone smaller is easy but creating the world's smallest hardware based image stabilizer and fit that onto phone is something which needs world class engineering skills. And the phone is still only 3mm thicker than iPhone.
- Iphone camera has no match for Lumia 920, iPhone colors are washed out. Also, try to take video at nightclub and compare which one has better and more stable image and which one has better sound on the video. Lumia 920 has 3 HAAC microphones to capture audio at sound pressure level of 140Db, so the sound does not distort at all, and even the base is captured.
- Lumia 920 actually topped SunSpider test
129. rayxxxray (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
I want me a man's phone. The bigger the better. Have no problem with my Galaxy S3 fitting in my back pocket.
52. molanjames (Posts: 51; Member since: 11 Oct 2012)
The Lumia improvements and new features are far better than I expected. Apple improvements were a bit disappointing.
56. iamunknown (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
ios 6, fb integration, iSight camera, A6 processor,faster graphics,siri,thinner and lighter,fast wireless connectivity,retina display,lte,....and so much..!!
63. tashreef (Posts: 474; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
once drop your iPhone 5 ..then there will be nothing to say much...
The Tougher ,The Better
Lumia 920...The better Choice...
82. iamunknown (Posts: 20; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
looks like you havn't seen iPhone 5 drop test..!!
97. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
Looks like you haven't seen the Lumia 920 throw in the air or Lumia 920 baseball test.
- FB integration was already in Lumia 800
- iSight is weaker compared to PureView
- Retina display is weaker compared to PureMotion HD+.
- You mention LTE? iPhone was actually the last one to implement this technology
107. HDee89 (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
I agree with most of those things, the wireless connectivity will be no different at all, and you might want to google "Retina Display" the display quality is inferior on the iphone 5 in every way.
60. Poshey22 (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
Nokia Really Have to catch up with the apps they are still awful like cant get alot of apps if u could get good apps for nokia would be best phone out and nothing would touch it like
71. pookiewood (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Which app are you missing? I bet I can find an equivalent.
74. Poshey22 (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
racing post? have it in itunes,,, paddy power. berfair i could go on and on and on
96. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
Betting apps sounds like a nice to have, but nothing too serious, unless you're working on this domain. However, Paddy Power and Betfair, are available on Windows Phone platform, as well as Bet365.com, Ladbrokers, William Hill and Sky Bet
How many apps you really use daily? Is there any app you can not absolutely live without which is not found on WP8? I recall I downloaded 200-300 apps on my iPhone 4 and ended up using 20 at max on a weekly basis
62. dexter_jdr (Posts: 832; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
WHY they always use white background on LUMIA 920???
69. pookiewood (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Your battery comparison was WEAK compared to the rest of the review. I've seen discrepancies from sites about which has the better battery life. It would've been good to see test data from you.
75. TMach (Posts: 268; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Jeez! Grow up children and enough of the mine is better than yours argument....it is BORING. Each to their own and respect other's choices as it is personal. For my part, I find IOS boring so I don't see how Android clones IOS as it is IOS simplicity that attracts its fans and turns them off Android which they find a bit complicated. I on the other hand prefer Android for obvious reasons but I am also not a fan of Windows. That is my preference and no more than that a preference rather than saying Android is better than this or that! Damn HTC, release the HTC Deluxe internationally and you can take my money all day long so long as you give it 32gb or 16gb with option to expand memory.
83. gazmatic (Posts: 501; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Apps=/=ecosystem. Go to nokia's beta page xyo.net for all the apps you need.
84. feres13 (Posts: 295; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
The Lumia 920 is great, but i would still pick the iPhone 5 anyday
85. lumia1920 (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
the lumia 920 is better than the apple iphone 5 in evrything mainly he had a faster browser a powerful proccessor and iven his camera
86. phonemirer (Posts: 110; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
lumia 920 is still weaker than the 3310, but it is still very durable & reliable. iphones are boring and the same ui and os since 7 years ago, they re so expensive and offer less than wp8s and android
WHEN iFANS WILL OPEN THEIR EYES !!!
95. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
Depends on your preferences
Get iPhone 5 if you want
- More Apps
- Lighter device
- Smaller device
- Better earphones out-of-the-box
- More expensive device (some people appreciate this ;)
Get Lumia 920 if you want
- Better Camera
- Better Sound Recording (e.g. while taking video at nightclubs, concerts)
- Better Sound Processing (Dolby Headphone technology which is used in A/V receivers)
- Better Build Quality (you don't need separate covers with Lumia)
- Bigger Display Screen
- Better Display Screen (more PPI, better outdoors, super sensitive)
- More Convienient way of charging (wirelessly)
The video playback time seems to be 10h on iPhone, and 6h on Lumia 920. The music playback time however is 71h on Lumia 920, dunno what's that on iPhone 5, but i presume less.
Here you can check out if an app is found on WP8
127. rayxxxray (Posts: 4; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
Shorter video playback time on the Lumia 920 is because it has a bigger screen and uses more more energy. Bigger screen always uses more energy.
88. Nikolas.Oliver (Posts: 1260; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
the design is much better on iPhone, that being said, im not an apple fanboy
lumia 920 has too much gap on the bottom
94. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
The gap on the bottom has a purpose. The whole design of the both phones is thorough and carefully though. The gap is there because you might accidentally press the buttons. Been there done that with my Lumia 800.
117. pookiewood (Posts: 357; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Didn't even notice the gap until this post. Are you just being Nitpicky?
91. tpranta (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Dec 2012)
"On one hand, you’d have to sacrifice quite a bit of comfort picking the Lumia 920 before the iPhone 5"
Try sliding both devices on concrete and decide after that which design feels more comfortable in hand, unscratched polycarbonate body with curved back and sides + 2.5D curved class, or scratched anotized aluminimun with sharp edges.
109. ajerseyjr (Posts: 10; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
I really want a new UI experience rather than the Ios is still the same look and feel. Nokia Lumia 920 is the best choice today.
111. GinaG (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
That Nokia hurts my eyes. The plastic cases and the bright colors of these phones get to me, and not in a good way. I just compared this to the HTC Droid DNA and the DNA is more solid. But, I need something on AT&T's 4GLTE. I am in the U.S. (Austin) and need speed, most of all, for sending large graphics files.
115. TIrrodan92 (Posts: 14; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Samsung Galaxy SIII youll be amazed! or the Galaxy Note 2.
118. kato520 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I really like both these phones so am going to wait a shortwhile and see how they go with time .I like that camera on the nokia but the phone feels a bit big and the i5 feels good for me.undecided.maybe both.
119. amirata_xman (banned) (Posts: 33; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Hi do you want free gift cards?(itunes, amazone, google play....)
Just go tu these sites for get free giftcards. You have to go with your mobile browser, works for android and ios.
Use that linkes to get extra money:) good luck
126. BitterTruth (unregistered)
Dont try to challenge Nokia !
And Thanks to PA for accepting the fact :P
130. chaitanya.pro (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Mar 2013)
Thats what i think...
Every one wants to buy a iPhone just because of the brand name. I think Apple has become the symbol of richness. The best use of iPhone is that You can Buzz around saying Hey i can afford an iPhone.
I'm not saying that iPhone is a s**t phone, i agree that its one among the best phones out there BUT ITS NOT THE ONLY BEST.
Nokia Lumia 920 is just outstanding. The features they are providing are commendable. They were the first one to introduce Wireles charging i know that its not too usefull but i thing they are evolving it into something really BIG.
In terms of features Nokia Lumia 920 is the BEST. But the world foccus more on Showoff and you now that Apple is best at it. They just want to say that "We make world's most expensive phone". When it comes to Nokia they really know how to manufacture a phone not a Showpiece.
When it comes to Nokia Lumia 920, its something new something special. The Metro UI is just amazing those live tiles makes me keep staring at the phone. So, i thing comparing Apple and Lumia is not a good thign to do. The are just two different yet amazing phones.
By the way i want to mention that i Hate SAMSUNG. they just keep on launching similor looking phones with a huge display which wouldnt fit into ur pocket. its just s**tty phone i dont understand why people buy those phones. i would prefer to buy an iPad rather than those Tumbool s**t phones.