Nokia Lumia 625 ReviewNokia Lumia 625 6.5
With a 2000mAh battery and 15 hours quoted talk time on 3G, the Lumia 625 stands way above the average. We found ourselves charging it once every two days on average, but even with heavier use the handset won’t sweat lasting a full day. The battery itself is not user user replaceable - you have to disassemble the phone to change it.
The Nokia Lumia 625 comes with a fairly large 4.7” display and 4G LTE on a budget, but there are a few things that hold it down. We like the smooth performance and the fun colors, but the low-res display seems out of place on today’s market. Moreover, the average camera and limiting 512MB of RAM are all considerable downsides.
The real question however is can the Windows Phone powered Lumia 625 survive in today'sfiercely competitive market? Truth comes in comparison, and among its few Windows Phone peers, the Lumia 625 has little competition – there just isn't another similarly affordable device to offer such a large display. So if you want to experiment with a different platform, and value a large display, the Nokia Lumia 625 is not a bad way to start and one that won’t cost you a lot of money.
Looking over to other platforms, though, the Android based Sony Xperia SP looks like a much better deal at around the same price – it has a 720p 4.6” display, better camera, double the RAM and 4G LTE connectivity as well. And if 4G is not high on your list of priorities, devices like the Samsung Galaxy Core or the Sony Xperia L could deliver similar performance with a 480p display at a fraction of the price.
- Largest display in a Nokia Lumia phone so far
- Mostly smooth performance
- Feels overpriced compared to similar Android devices
- Screen lacks sharpness, hard to read outdoors
- Average camera
1. theminolaboy (Posts: 128; Member since: 18 May 2013)
6.5? What\'s happening with the world?
7. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 162; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
PhoneArena's scores are more like specs ratings than overall experience ratings. A low-end phone will always get a mediocre score.
16. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3398; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Untrue. The 520 received an 8. Contrary to what some fanboys might think, an 8 is well above average.
20. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Contrary to what other fanboys might think, not everyone likes using android or google\'s invasive services.
22. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3398; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
What does that have to do with anything? The Nokia Lumia 520? Perhaps you've heard of it. It's a Windows Phone 8 device.
17. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3398; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Yes, the world is ending because someone doesn't agree with you. Prepare yourself for the apocalypse.
2. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
PA doesn't give normalized ratings for budget phones. Budget phone lovers can't be happy?
4. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
xperia sp is way better than this pixelated screen phone RIP nokia
5. sri_tech (Posts: 188; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Xperia SP is a good phone but the display is very bad.
Its washed out and dull.
8. Glim12808 (Posts: 394; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Xperia SP has better screen?!! LOL you must be blind!!!
6. veer.d (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
I think L625 is cheapest 4G phone.
PA says they give rating on the base of price range then it deserve more
9. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3498; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
6.5? Hahahahaha..... Anyways I liked the orange (reddish orange) color very much, this is a nice budget phone.
10. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I looked at the score, then who was writing the review - the miserly 6.5 made sense.
I had to laugh at the cons
"Feels overpriced compared to similar Android devices" :
Lumia 625 - $215 (unlocked through Amazon)
Sony xperia SP - $350 (terrible display, especially outdoors)
Galaxy Core - $??? (last generation phone with no LTE, Cortex A5 processor, Adreno 203GPU, 720P max video recording)
Sony xperia L - $240 ( slower 1ghz processor, 720P HD recording only, No LTE)
It's as if he was scraping the bottom of the barrel for cons LOL
14. samsony (Posts: 3; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
but 720p on SP is better than 625 tho.
And it got Adreno320 and Krait 300
Btw 625 is a good phone tho
15. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
What about xperia m?
I wouldn´t recomment this lumia 625 to anyone, pixelated screen, terrible OS, large bezels, low contrast, pretty awful camera. But on the other side 4G connectivity is a welcome addition and 2000mAh is also very good, I´d expect that a low-end with such a high battery would last longer but it is okay. To summarize it all, this is not a very good buy.
18. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
It is overpriced for what it offers, nexus 4 is so much better offer than this.
11. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
201 ppi is not bad. We were just used to hd screens.
12. DFranch (Posts: 152; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
What would the similar dual core, LTE capable Android phone, with a 4.7" screen & a 2 day battery, costing $215 be exactly? Another BS rating of a Nokia phone by PA.
19. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3398; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Nexus 4. Quad-core, LTE capable with rooting or if you stick with 4.2.1, 4.7" screen. You probably won't get 2 days of life out of it, but the 8GB version is $199. I would say that's a decent trade-off.
13. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1335; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
the real nice things about this device are it's screen size color cases and you can go in store and afford to buy it at one shot. For a new to smart phone buyer this is a plus
21. lorenzattractor (Posts: 67; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Actually, Halo: Spartan Assault was updated a while ago to work on 512mb devices.
24. mandal001 (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
Very Nice Phone... Its Valu for Money..... I dont Know why Phone Arena Given 6.5 ??? i thought its 9 out of 10 one mark less for Camera ... nice look if u want lumia go for 625..
25. Mohammad_Abu-Shukur (Posts: 25; Member since: 08 Nov 2013)
which is better lumia 625 or 720???
i am so confused about it
i want to change to lumia...but i am confused among 525 or 620 or 625 or 720
please help me
26. mandal001 (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
NOKIA 625 Is the best... 720 is TFT Display... but 625 is IPS display...
27. contentsetter (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
This phone is good for youngster, who prefer to buy gadgets either for pass time or for show off, not suggestible for serious buyer, or for office use.
|Display||4.7 inches, 480 x 800 pixels (201 ppi) IPS LCD|
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8930, Dual core, 1200 MHz, Krait processor
512 MB RAM
|Size||5.25 x 2.84 x 0.36 inches|
(133.25 x 72.25 x 9.15 mm)
5.61 oz (159 g)
|Battery||2000 mAh, 23.9 hours talk time|