Nokia Lumia 520 Review
0. phoneArena 15 Apr 2013, 06:30 posted on
Nokia seems to have nailed the ultra low-end of Windows Phones with the Lumia 520 on paper. Coming in a variety of jolly colors, it hits the sweet spot of price and productivity, employing a decent display, dual-core processor and a 5MP camera, all at rock bottom pricing. These are the dry specs, though, and it will certainly feel the Android heat in that price range, so read on to find out whether the Lumia 520 delivers in the important aspects...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Did you use Grey color background or its the screen's fault it self?
2. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Umm.. I think Nokia has'nt use Clear Black Techno Here.
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Great! A friend of mine has been waiting for this. Gonna recommend this to him.
6. boosook (Posts: 1251; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Who uses offline navigation anymore? Since this is a smartphone, you probably have a data plan, so being online it's not a problem. What's more, if you're offline you don't get realtime info like traffic or road works, and you cannot integrate search and navigation (e.g. search for a street, restaurant, shop etc in google maps and ask the phone to drive you there).
Offline navigation was popular in the 20th century, now we moved forward. Of course, there are some situations where offline navigation is still useful (e.g. if you travel in a country where you might have no GSM coverage or you can't activate a data plan), but in these cases I'd rather get a real navigator, and anyway I consider the offline navigator a weak selling point.
8. windroid (unregistered)
"and you cannot integrate search and navigation (e.g. search for a street, restaurant, shop etc in google maps and ask the phone to drive you there)"
Nokia offline navigation has all that built in, no need for data plan. If you go to other country (common in Europe) you won't want to have a data plan with roaming that will cost you a fortune, so, very nice to have offline navigation.
The missing apps aren't all that much, the WP is catching up quickly, and all major apps are already integrated. For about $200 I think it's a good choice.
27. ibap (Posts: 726; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
I hate to break this to you, but unless you never leave a major city, there are places where the cell signal is too unreliable for navigation. On Android I use CoPilot, for just that reason. If I have good cell signal, I can use Google maps when necessary for search and traffic.
10. Henrik (Posts: 141; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)
And it looks good too :-) Even better than the 620, in my opinion.
24. Timothypadang (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
yes, I think so...... like a lumia 920
9. Shubham412302 (Posts: 338; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
well at least don't talk of xperia sola and one v
they cannot play 1080 videos natively and cost more and will not be upgraded to jb.
its frustuating when your phone doesn't gets updated
while this phone will surely receive updates for atleast 18 months.
only nexus are promised on android to get updated for 18 months.
plz don't come and say to root and update to custom ROM like cm10.
at least in HTC and Sony you void your warranty as soon as you give your imei no. for boot loader unlock code.
14. Landmarkcm (Posts: 481; Member since: 11 Aug 2009)
The lack of a camera flash right off the bat is a fail for me. Why would they leave that off. This is useless if you like to take low light shots esp indoors or out with your friends in low light etc.
15. Bappy (Posts: 25; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
That's why you have Lumia 620 or more expensive models.
17. Landmarkcm (Posts: 481; Member since: 11 Aug 2009)
Ya tmo should have got the 620 instead of this. Price point isn't that much higher.
16. mobilefuture (Posts: 209; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
1080p video playback?? that's not a typo is it??? O_O
18. keerthi777 (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
Buy lumia 520 at the lowest price on EBAY check it here bc.vc/tWJkUO
19. Web4pc (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Apr 2013)
Can any one tell me that lumia 520 can play 720p and 1080p videos like android 4.0 phones plays......???????
21. Web4pc (Posts: 2; Member since: 19 Apr 2013)
Hello my email is Asif.firstname.lastname@example.org i am going to buy lumia 520 i contact the microsoft windowsphone site chat with them he says lumia 520 can record but can not play 720p so please tell me as friend the truth that lumia 520 videos player can play 720p videos or not please please.....?????
22. devilfisch (Posts: 35; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I have a Lumia 620 and it plays 1080p MP4 videos well and without a hitch. The Lumia 520 is pretty similar to the 620 in terms of specs so I won't find it surprising if it can also do the same.
28. DEBASIS (Posts: 5; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
YES.. ITS PLAY ALL THESE RESOLUTIONS VIDEO..
23. Timothypadang (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
I Think, This is the most PERFECT entry level phone :)
25. ashank87 (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Hey guys, i have a genuine problem. I got the mobile from an online retailer.. i noticed there is a small red light blinking on top of screen just near the speaker (where u hear the voice while calling) This happens while making/receiving call, a small red light blinks near speaker not all time.. can anyone please confirm if this is ok or i got a defective product...
26. Lumialower (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Jun 2013)
Perfect budget phone but i still dont get it, why to release that crappy phone named nokia asha 501? Does nokia aim this phone for 6 year old kids? Or 100$ without contract phone?
29. DEBASIS (Posts: 5; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
WHAT SHOULD I BUY IN THESE THREE DEVISES 1. - NOKIA LUMIA 520, 2. - SAMSUNG GALAXY S DUOS S7562 3. - LG OPTIMUS L5 II E450 ??
PLEASE HELP ME...
I LIKE MUSIC, VIDEOS, GAMES ,INTERNET ETC......
30. BROWN (Posts: 14; Member since: 08 Aug 2014)
i'm a business traveler and travel to a lot of foreign countries , in my experience unlock codes
are the very best method to unlock nokia lumia 520 phone , i used unlock codes procured from Link: attphoneunlockingshop.us
to unlock my phones and it worked wonderfully well
31. sammy123 (Posts: 11; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
Quite impressed with the guys at this site:
They got Pantech Breeze unlocked in 1 day and I could use live chat to discuss my unlocking.
32. sammy123 (Posts: 11; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
hello people, Very informative but I am pretty impressed with these guys. I have been utilizing it many times for unlocking my iphone, they are able to even unlock the most recent Nokia lumia 520
33. BROWN (Posts: 14; Member since: 08 Aug 2014)
This is Permanent Factory Unlock Service, we are offering lowest price and exclusive solution to unlock your phone...
Price Match Guarantee We offer very competitive prices however we will also match any price that you find on any competitor website. At Jailbreakwizz.com, we are committed to excellent service and great value and our price guarantee is just another step in that direction.
we will not only meet it but beat it by 10%. That's right. We offer 110% of the difference if you find an unlocking solution cheaper than ours. Just give us the following information about our competitor and we will not just meet their price but beat it by an additional 10%.
For example: Our price for unlock service is $50 and you find it for $40 on our competitor website, we will give it to you for $39.
Terms and Conditions 1. Price Match offer applies to similar models, networks and lock status(clean,blocked or blacklisted IMEI)
2. We will need to have the website and URL for where you find a better price for us to honor the price match guarantee.
3. The currency on all price matching must be in US dollars.
4. The price match must be presented BEFORE you submit your order. We will not offer money back on order has already been placed.
5. Whilst we will price match against any online website but we reserve the right to refuse is the price match URL comes from Ebay and similar auction sites. They generally provide lower service and low success rates for unlocking phones.