Nokia 808 PureView camera comparison
0. phoneArena 29 Jun 2012, 08:47 posted on
We are pitting the 41MP sensor in the PureView against the previous top cameraphone from the Finns, the Nokia N8, and against the current market darlings iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, LG Optimus 4X HD, Sony Xperia S and the still very popular Samsung Galaxy S II...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I wish Nokia did as well in other departments too. Maybe they will finally change their policy and start being competetive once more. Anyway, 808 is a clear winner. And N8 is still a class of its own.
No suprise here:)
2. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
PureView FTW. Can't wait for it to get on a newer OS and body, despite my preference for Symbian and its superiority as a phone (with physical phone buttons especially)
3. adjou (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 Jul 2010)
This is a camera fight between nokia's sensor and sony's. Very impress with the 808!
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Sensor was made by Toshiba not by Nokia. :)
13. deadhead (Posts: 17; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
actually both companies worked on the design, but is manufactured only by Toshiba.. just like the N8. Toshiba can't sell either of those sensors to anyone else, because of the collaboration with Nokia.
25. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Really? Where'd you find that out? At work or I'd try to find it myself
4. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
I just love the low noise and the colour saturation.. okay I got to admit!! I love everything about the camera of the PureView!! There is just No phone in the market that has a better camera or even comes close to the camera of the pure view!!
Good Job Nokia!!
5. AzhiKarim (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Nokia 808 Win!! the only thing this phone needs now is more apps and games ...
17. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
There is nothing to expect, Symbian is dying and developers are abandoning ship.
20. bbblader (Posts: 588; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
its a loop
devs abandoning symbian because its dying
and its dying because devs are abandoning it
21. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
But someone has started that loop and that not without a reason, right? Developers doesn't start abandoning OS just because...
23. Stuntman (Posts: 828; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
OK. I admit it. I started that loop. After using the Nokia N97 for months, I finally got fed up with this piece of crap. I looked to see what was available to upgrade to. The Symbian phones I saw were also crap. I decided to abandon Symbian and got an Android phone (HTC Desire Z) and I love it. Even with it still running on GB, I love it. Even though I'm eligible for a hardware upgrade, I have no desire to change phones.
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"OK. I admit it. I started that loop."
Symbian fans will find you! :D
45. depeche (Posts: 63; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Same thing happened with webOS. Palm died, and webOS was briefly resurrected with HP.
HP pulled the plug one day as the excitement was picking up. The Pre 3 was never released.
26. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
Dude, it doesnt matter what happens to Symbian, what really matters is this Pureview technology that is beating the crap out of everyphone out there, and the best part of this is that it´s coming to WP8 as well.
34. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes, but my comment was reply to comment about apps and Nokia 808 PureView use Symbian. ;)
6. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
My gf would get it if it had wp7 on it instead...
8. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Honestly don't see that huge of a difference between them. All look pretty good.
9. cristianer (Posts: 41; Member since: 20 Aug 2010)
Yeah! 808 first and N8 second. I love these phones.
11. kanagadeepan (Posts: 807; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
NOKIA is five years ahead of others in Camera department and five years behind with respect to other features, imho....
29. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Yes to the camera, the other part not as much... Neither ios nor WP have as many features and capabilities as Symbian (or MeeGo, RIP). Easier and less jittery, and in WP's case much more fluid and pretty, but still behind. Lumia series are (arguably) the prettiest in production, and I don't know of any other manufacturer that packs in as much into their devices, even their low end ones. NFC, FM radio transmitter, pentaband antennas, mobile hotspot capability, etc, etc. Give credit where it's due.
12. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1870; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
The pictures are so amazingly nice on the Pureview. But me personally don't have any use for a 41 MP camera @"@ But it still has really amazing pictures.
27. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
you dont understand, the 41 are used to oversample the pixels and lossless zoom to make the pictures look better, pictures still come out at 5 and 8 megapixels.
14. deadhead (Posts: 17; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Their 808 has defective optics btw .. loss of detail on the right side of the frame. Every set of optics is aligned individually (which is amazing), so I guess its normal for some of them not to be perfect.
15. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Excellent job did by Nokia. It will to sucess when it comes in wp8+pureview=awesome smartphone.
18. sajith930 (Posts: 4; Member since: 26 Jun 2012)
Pls add Nokia N9 to this compare..Another good camera...don't abondened that sweet guy...
19. Stuntman (Posts: 828; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Thanks, for a great camera comparison article. Much better than that other web site which shall remain nameless that I boycotted since last year.
22. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
for those who want more apps
n8 fan club
32. mobilefuture (Posts: 214; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
This was unfair because even when reading the headline, one can tell who the winner is! Pureview FTW!!!!!
38. techdunia (banned) (Posts: 4; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Nokia 808 is amazing phone but only for its camera quality.
39. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
I'm sure this will force the other OEM's to up their respective games. However, with over 70 patents ring-fencing PureView, "me thinks" Nokia will be holding the phone camera crown for quite awhile.
It would've also be nice to see PhoneArena compare sound recording across these video devices. In particular, how the 808's Rich Recording and full Dolby 5.1 compares with the rest of the field.
Lastly, for media playback...how the field handles various codecs.
41. murati (Posts: 21; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
Rather have mine HOX with great body, screen, pocessor and my Canon powershot than 808. My opinion.
44. joshefmayer1 (Posts: 6; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Again a great phone by Nokia: - Nokia 808 pureview has a great feature of 41 MP Camera……..
I like the phone due to its features .If you prefer online shopping then you can go through shopbychoice(dot)com, it gives best deal on this phone.
One of my friend recently bought it @ Rs.32, 199/- after 5% discount, I willing to buy it
46. alex09 (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
Visit (www).nokia808pureviews(dot c-o-m) to get best price and deals for Nokia 808 Pureview.
"Nokia 808 PureView is a new dawn in photography with 41 MP you can play with a bigger canvas, pure depth, pure action, pure colour, pure detail, pure perspective, full HD video, crystal clear audio, share the story in a momment. Nokia 808 PureView is a revolutionary camera in a smartphone, you never miss a moment from daylight to low light"