LG Optimus G vs Samsung Galaxy S III
- 1 Introduction and Design
- 2 Interface and Functionality
- 3 Camera and Multimedia
- 4 Call Quality, Battery and Conclusion
- LG Optimus G Sprint specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III Sprint specifications
- LG Optimus G specifications
- LG Optimus G AT&T specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III AT&T specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III MetroPCS specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III T-Mobile specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III Verizon specifications
We measure battery life by running a custom web-script, designed to replicate the power consumption of typical real-life usage. All devices that go through the test have their displays set at 200-nit brightness.
LG Optimus G vs Samsung Galaxy S III Video Comparison:
1. MeoCao (unregistered)
Can there be a comparison? G wins hands down.
26. formersamsungphoneowner (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Oct 2012)
LG " G" is clearly the winner here.
BETTER DESIGN ( more sophisticated & a truly elegant phone)
BETTER DISPLAY ( very accurate life-like colors).
the 13MP Camera is obviously better than 8MP of s3.
(take a look at those sample photos)
"G" is NO DOUBT its more faster in BROWSING & DOWNLOADING.
why there is no actual video comparison in web. browsing?
I LIKE S3 BUT THIS TIME MY VOTE GOES TO LG OPTIMUS G.
32. Angelface77 (Posts: 32; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
I could not agree more with you. LG made a great comeback with this beast
36. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Design is personal preference, I know, but I think the G looks like a combined Razr Maxx-Galaxy S2. For specs, you're right, LG-hands down. For camera and video, S3 gained my vote, despite the 5 megapixel lead of G.
29. AnTuTu (Posts: 1427; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Agreed with you guys whatever points you have mentioned above.
But LG lacks in software side of it.
So I would say GS3 = 55/100 and G = 45/100
30. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
Galaxy S3 rules here folks.
42. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Optimus G is better than Samsung GS3 only brainwashed Samsung fanboys will disagree, faster processor, faster browse speeds and better screen. AMOLED panels and their saturation mislead the comprehension of the image, sometimes that is not good!
43. Angelface77 (Posts: 32; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
Can not agree with you more. LG wins all the way.
2. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
software wise, LG obviously ripped off TouchWiz a lot. nature ux? features? cartoony UI? yup.
but even SGS 3 beats the camera.
sad story - and that is why the LG Nexus may fix everything.
6. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
LG and Samsung have copied each other equally when it comes to software. If you go back before touchwiz was introduced in android, touchwiz copied a lot of ui elements from LG. An example for this is the cube found on samsung jet (I have owned own and I can say it is better implemented compared to arena) which was ripped from lg arena 's S class UI. If u have used an LG phone like cookie and arena u can still find some similarities in the UI of optimus phones (ex :- 4 shortcuts on the bottom).
13. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
but in terms of quality software experience - fanboyism aside, Samsung wins. That's why many would prefer Samsung over any other manufacturer.
any way, I have high hopes for LG's Nexus.
14. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
I do agree Samsung implements things better when it comes to software. LG Nexus will definitely be better compared to their other phones.
8. THE-DARK-KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 18; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
The clash of the titans. But take note LG- THERE'S NOTHING LIKE AN AMOLED DISPLAY!!!! Love my s3!!!
9. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 416; Member since: 04 May 2012)
And there's nothing like an HD IPS+ Display.
27. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
There's nothing like an SLCD2 (HTC One X) or as Engadget likes to call it the best screen on a mobile phone right now!
4. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well, I see what you did there, John.. since in your book S3 beat the iPhone 5 and the latter was tied with optimus g, now Sammy had to get a slight upper hand.
But really, the Optimus is simply more future proof and has superior hardware.
I agree that Samsung has more mature software and better support but the most it should get is a tie here.. win is a little over the line.
5. ryq24 (Posts: 618; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
anytime lg vs samsung i would always go for samsung. but samsung vs sony, that's a tough one for me.
31. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 416; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Proud to be one, rather than joining mainstream Apple and Samsung :)
48. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Sorry LG sucks hard, even though my phone was better than that POS Optimus Black (i had the 2X) it still sucked in after sales support and on stock ROM a very laggy experience.
49. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 416; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Wow, why are you here slowpoke?
I knew the 2x sucked, that's why I settled for the OB in the first place, it is getting better CM support than the 2x. Jelly Bean runs on it pretty well but the stock LG GB UI was still pretty nice. I'm sticking with LG no matter what..
Have a nice day sir!
50. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Because i just saw that stupid comment from yours, sorry to disappoint you but the OB is worst than the 2X at least the 2X is dual-core, anyway they had good hardware both of the phones LG software is what sucks, but to say that the 2X sucks and OB is better is just lying.
53. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 416; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Oh you, I know the 2x has better processing power and all. But after reading a lot of reviews, there were a lot of problems. All I needed at the time of purchasing was at least a phone with 1 GHz clock speed, LED flash, secondary mic and a unique feature, which were the G key and the super bright NOVA display. The software sucks, on the 2x, Tegra 2 was terrible IMO.
54. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
It wasn't that terrible, on CM7 (GB) it was faster than my sister's SII which was on ICS. It was a good phone ruined by LG's lack of software updates and also by the 512mb RAM...
55. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 416; Member since: 04 May 2012)
And now that it has an official ICS update, you still think the software runs bad?
56. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Idk, i got sick of waiting for the ICS update and sold the phone.. But on CM7 it was smooth and stable. And from some videos i have seen it runs ICS very good and very smooth.
10. ajac09 (Posts: 1447; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
samsung ftw LG still has quality issues and the reviews of the latest LG android phone havent been the best.
12. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
S3 is definately better. tested & tried but thats my opinion . for some people it can be lg but they need to prove themselves in the market.
15. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Guys.. when making a comment please be UNBIASED. Some of you are just too biased to the S3 as u own it.. and some are too biased to the G cuz you own it....
51. alouden (Posts: 349; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
There is nothing but bias here, and that's not good. I own the GS3, and it's a great phone. The best phone I have ever owned. But I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I realized that the Optimus G wasn't coming to my carrier. It seems like a beast of a phone and was certainly going to be my next phone. Great specs, better display. Samsung probably has it beat on software, though. However, the samsung casing is crap. Finally, from the reviews, I hear the 13 MP camera is not necessarily better than a 8 MP one (whether it is LG or and other brand). So that is not necessarily an advantage. But LG deserves nothing but praise for the Optimus G.
16. app_droid_soft (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
well done LG...remember rome wasn't built in a single day
17. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Samsung have set the bar too high with their s3, so the optimus G have some serious catching up to do. After all its never easy to convince all the people that your phone is better than the other....a game at which Samsung and apple are at their best.
18. VJo003 (Posts: 351; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
" Samsung Galaxy S III coughs up the usual 16GB of RAM out of the box..."
I guess u meant internal storage....
19. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
there is always something wrong with Lg products.
Not refined enough, not polished...software lacks something, camera is a garbage
But hardware, once again, brilliant.
XDA on a mission
20. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
I cant believe Galaxy S 3 is still kicking ass, if the US versions came out a little later we would have had Jelly bean and the exynos processor and nothing would have been able to touch that.
21. buggerrer (Posts: 306; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
if you want a phone that will probably get "key lime pie" update in Q4 2013 get the LG G!!
24. monkeytown (Posts: 109; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
what about the bootloader? LG locked it again?
47. Phonecall01 (unregistered)
rooting procedure is already in place thanks to xda. Done!
52. alouden (Posts: 349; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Yah, these days a locked bootloader means nothing. Those guys at XDA are awesome.
25. BadAssAbe (Posts: 435; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
I Love both phones so i choose LG because of its looks, I like simple, flat, squared, phones because they would look better in a case than rounded corners.
i also think the LG Also has a smaller bezel and WiFi Direct.
28. pkiran1996 (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
I would have compare the Optimus G with the international Galaxy S3. The article is already biased towards the Optimus G because it has better hardware. The quadcore Exynos found in the international S3 is superior to the dual core model, so why not use it?
34. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
1 doubt i dont know which to buy...? plz help me guys will it be iphone 5,s3,optimus g,note 2,lumia 920.......which will be best plz help me............
35. enGet (Posts: 31; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Article = Samsung bais. LG is obviously better. The case and screen of the LG alone should have stomped the S3 into oblivion.
Software can be updated; OSs can be replaced.
Try to replace your cheap flimsy case and dim blue screen in the S3...
38. papss (unregistered)
agreed. I HATE the poly used on the s3. The paint looks like a 80's boat too. It's too bad because I know its a great phone but what I touch ruins it.
40. viper1983 (Posts: 31; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
so.....which one will crash less often? that will determine which is better.
41. alouden (Posts: 349; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I keep hearing that LG 's software is crap. I have heard nothing bad about Samsung.
44. thornwell (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
I had an LG revolution, which I loved and thought it was the best phone i've ever had.However I recently bought a samsung galaxy s3, and everything has changed this is one of the greatest devices I have ever owned. my experience with the lg was mixed I often found it to lag considerabily to a point of frustration.The display was pretty good however wxga display seems normal like looking how I would imagine looking through the eyes of a senior citizen, while the Samsung display is like looking at a Pisaco.
45. thornwell (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
I had an LG revolution, which I loved and thought it was the best phone i've ever had.However I recently bought a samsung galaxy s3, and everything has changed this is one of the greatest devices I have ever owned. my experience with the lg was mixed I often found it to lag considerabily to a point of frustration.The display was pretty good however wxga display seems normal like looking how I would imagine looking through the eyes of a senior citizen, while the Samsung display is like looking at a pisaco.
46. marwan121212 (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
i donot have anyone of them but i am going to buy . in my opinione the lg optimus g is better because the scren tec is the best on the market the true hd ips with hiegher res and the prossecor is better 2 the qualcomm with 1.5 gh and the 13 mp camera with the lg new futers plus the btter toch on the lg so the lg is better and the sexy deisgin slim and light