LG Optimus G Pro vs Sony Xperia Z
0. phoneArena 06 Mar 2013, 08:17 posted on
Sony Xperia Z or the LG Optimus G Pro? This will be one of the dilemmas before high-end phone buyers this season, so we stage a comparison to ease the decision-making process...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
35. Airforce (Posts: 60; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
why do i have a feeling..NOTES AND PHONES ARE BECOMING SIMILAR..in screen size..Like what the FCUK...phones are now having screen sizes of 5" or higher..I guess in 2014..there wont be any difference in a phone nd NOTE any more
32. SonyFan (Posts: 22; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
+faster software updates
+more custom roms for xperia z
now you know why?
36. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
You can name everything the LG does better as well. At least try to approach this from both sides or your comment becomes completely irrelevant.
I'd personally go with the Xperia Z because it is more comfortable to hold and has a premium feel to it, wish it was coming to AT&T.
50. MrKoles (Posts: 189; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
-Water resistance is a bulls**t, created by Sony ;)
-Faster software updates? You must be kidding...slow and no quality (ICS 4.0 for 2012 lineup).
-Really small percent of users are using custom roms.
-LG plastic has brilliant quality, and it´s not as fragile as glass. (personal experience).
-You can eat the 13mpx sensor for dinner and lunch...the same: no quality.
Now I would like to ask you, do you know, why I don´t know?
52. harshithh (Posts: 12; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
we can see some guy is really jealous of sony xperia z
53. MrKoles (Posts: 189; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Oh, of course...How can a human being be jealous of a TELEPHONE? Maybe, you have put something in your breakfast hat shouldn´t be there.
55. taikucing (Posts: 611; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
and more importantly, LG has IPS display while xperia Z still uses TFT crap. And the exmor sensor is too overrated.
59. rgxVOiD (Posts: 420; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
So water resistance is bulls**t but not having one is a good thing?
68. bshp2000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Jul 2013)
-Water resistance is not bulls**t, I know from experience,
-LG plastic may be tougher but plastic can never match glass or metal in terms of quality,
-Sure, megapixels don't usually matter much, but it still counts, in terms of the image resolution.
20. wendygarett (unregistered)
I choose neither, both looks crap to me :)
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Says person in whose user profile "Want it" section we can see "Sony Xperia Z"...
25. Commentator (Posts: 1874; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Says the person whose user profile says:
"My goal is to attract as many red thumb as I can, and pretend Apple fanboys (and Samsung fanboys as well) to show how stupidity these fanboys are :)."
37. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
While I would personally choose the HTC One over these device they certainly do not look like crap. It's sad to think that you believe Samsung's plastic phones do NOT look like crap and that these do.
*Samsung makes great phones, but they do not look very good IMHO.
54. amiroo (Posts: 239; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
whats this hell??
sony only focus on watter proof but whats another its has??
-not good screen
-non removable battry
-mid battary but not good at all
then sony want to cover all this sabotage with water proof!!
60. rgxVOiD (Posts: 420; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
The English in this comment gave me cancer
66. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
I bath with my Xperia Z. What's the problem? The screen is 100% gorgeous! Don't remember that there's the Mobile Bravia Engine 2 there for great photos and great video. The camera is extremely detailed and delivers very realistic photoshots. If you are not satisfied with somehow strange color, you can surely fix that in the standard photo mode, instead of using Superior Auto. Good screen but compact device always comes with a not too long-lasting battery. I don't know what you're talking about the high cost but in my city is 1/5 cheaper than the other expensive phones.
69. bshp2000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Jul 2013)
Not good screen? Xperia Z has the same screen resolution as S4, 441 ppi. Camera is excellent, or at least on the same level as Optimus G Pro, tons of other phones (iPhone 5, HTC One, Z10, etc.) have non-removable battery. And as for price, Xperia Z is cheaper than Optimus G
5. ajac09 (Posts: 1108; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
g pro over most phones right now till the gs4 note 3 come out anyway lol
8. mocir (Posts: 16; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
If you show both phones to random people, they would obviously choose the Z.
10. smallworld (Posts: 360; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
And btw Xperia Z also support Wifi direct and Miracast.
12. ryq24 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Optimus g pro should have won but it loses because its an lg!
17. BabylonShine (Posts: 25; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
they made Sony watrer proff because its over heated and battery gose empty XD
and they made it very roughbust because i keep hitting my xperia on table to keep it work
70. bshp2000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Jul 2013)
Umm... I think that IS English. Maybe new glasses?
67. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
Open the ports to let the heat out, man!
21. rusticguy (Posts: 2703; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
For a moment i thought it was Samsung and not LG.
23. bhagi108 (Posts: 21; Member since: 09 May 2012)
And I thought the Xperia Z was BIG. Good thing I decided on the HTC One to replace my Lumia 920.
27. serge327 (Posts: 36; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
I don't ever care the phone's viewing angle.. because i didn't use my phone from side way.. also.. i hope the phone keep the bad viewing angle to avoid ppls to see my phone content when i am outside.. But say really, the Xperia Z screen color look better than LG Pro in normal angle. that's enough... I like SONY, because of it premium design, elegant UI, and the design always surprise me when SONY launch a new phone. This is just my opinion (Sorry for my bad english)
28. Tigon8 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
I wonder why they left the antutu results for the xperia z out! Oh yeah I do because the Z scores almost 21000 beating the G Pro even though it has a "inferior" processor checking online it looks like the Z beats the problem on a number of other benchmarks to, just looking at the pro I think to myself how desperate and useless can you be that a company this big can't design their own products, I'm amazed Samsung hasn't sued them yet even the icons are the same well at least they managed to include the cheap plastic body to lol, sorry for the long comment.
30. ddxmms (Posts: 141; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
stop fighting like kids !
there are both better than the iPhone, and that's the only thing that matter !
31. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1055; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
both are great phones,,but its a hard choice... I'd be happy, with either one ..
33. Esf_Kid (Posts: 43; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
worked with Z tonight and going to buy a white one tomorrow.
the most beautiful phone i posses in my life.
i felt the meaning of PREMIUM.
38. TMach (Posts: 268; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Guess the reviewer has been smoking something.......I own the Xperia Z in white and for someone who has used pretty damn much every top end phone, this is the best display I have seen on a phone...SIMPLE! Until something else like the HTC One proves otherwise, in any event, but until then it is the Xperia Z. That is not all, build quality is another Sony USP and I will always take a Sony over plastic, anytime!
39. soshi (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
LG pro looks like samsung, both hardware and interface
41. papss (Posts: 2184; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
I agree.. The Sony phone is pretty nice and premium while lg dropped the ball with this one.. LG has been making great strides in design until this copy of a cheap looking phone.
42. MAG33 (Posts: 7; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
if you dont have mental problems you clearly see that optimus pro is much better
43. billy3010 (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
There is an error in the review - Sony Xperia Z also has it's own internet browser that allows for flash/desktop site.
With regards to updates, both manufacturers are slow to update but LG are the absolute pits - for this reason alone, I will never own another handset by them regardless of their innovation and specs.
I own a white Xperia Z - I can hold it/use functions (just about) with one hand, mainly due to the positioning of the on/off/standby button on the side. Anything bigger (like the LG) and it would be impossible
44. Dj567 (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
this guy always sees the negatives.... so, he might not have been able to buy a phone for himself
47. legend1 (Posts: 93; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
in terms of processing ability the lg is a lot more powerful but in camera and design the z is better and screen
49. Googlethis (Posts: 168; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
both look good but i think ill get the xperia z just like the way it looks.
56. DesmondZ01 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Water resistance is awesome, going to the beach and dropping it into a bucket of water or anywhere wouldn't be a problem. xperia z has a unique design which kinda attracts my attention but the optimus g looks similar to note 2?!
65. skyguy7567 (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
I saw a review on the Optimus G Pro on Youtube, and guess what, the device lagged RIGHT AT THE START OF THE VIDEO WHILE SCROLLING THE SCREEN! Seems that 1.7 Ghz is not enough. Get the Sony Xperia Z. Who cares about viewing angles?! You won't view your phone HORIZONTALLY won't you?
71. bshp2000 (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Jul 2013)
Sony Xperia Z over Optimus G Pro, but I'd say the HTC One is best for hardware, GS4 for software. Still, these phones are extremely impressive phones and it obviously comes down to personal preference. I personally don't like calling with "phones" that are the size of iPad Minis.