LG Nitro HD vs Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
0. phoneArena 09 Dec 2011, 06:46 posted on
Colliding head first towards one another, there’s no arguing that it was bound to happen – especially now that AT&T is finally in the game with its 4G LTE network. As we’ve seen in our recent review of the Nitro HD, it has the hardware and balanced performance to enthrall out interests, however, will it be able to topple the Skyrocket in claiming the coveted top spot to itself?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
2. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
my sgs2 epic has the exynos. what now xD the skyrocket compared to mine sucks
28. choupino (Posts: 69; Member since: 28 May 2011)
The EXYNOS chip is NOT compatible with LTE. There is no way that a currently available LTE smartphone will have an EXYNOS chip in it until the manufacturer decides to develop one. However, even then, it will not be called EXYNOS, as that was the label for that chipset. A new LTE compatible chipset might just be called something else!!!
Which would you prefer??? The increased multiplied data speeds or the more efficient chip?
32. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Data speeds, but only if it were unlimited data...
3. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
If the LG Nitro HD had no Optimus UI, I'd take it rather than the skyrocket. I'm not much into overrated phones.
21. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Me neither, I hate how the sgs2 is so overrated...
34. windowsRocks (Posts: 152; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
That means you dont buy Apple products lol.............
4. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Go Samsung and no 2560x1600 display for iPad 3.
5. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
also when you pair a 1.6ghz exynos (overclocked) and mali gpu (overclocked yet again using tegrak) using a stock gingerbread custom rom you have the fastest phone on the planet
6. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
roughly 4500+ on quadrant standard and 8000+ on antutu
29. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
i top 8500+ [antutu] and 5000+ [quadrant] on my lowly rooted and rommed g2x.
7. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Now, what did PA have to be smoking to recommend an LG handset over a Samsung one? Ok, the screen on the Nitro is nice, and they really have knuckled down on the performance issues which plagued the Optimus 3D
If I were choosing one I'd get the Skyrocket, because whichever way you look at it, this thing is LG, now you may find me a little cruel and biased, but I've got past experience to go on, but my perception of them will change if they keep producing beauty's like this!
8. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
ive toyed around with the g2x the revolution and the sprint version of the optimus. they all sucked LG UI=slow, my sgs2 epic 4g touch on other hand has no lag at all
19. christony1120 (Posts: 65; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
thats not true i have the lg revolution for verizon and theres no sign of lag so stop making up stuff
24. doubler86 (Posts: 320; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)
Umm out of all the LTE Verizon phones out there, I would never brag about having an LG Revolution....
30. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
g2x does not have lg's optimus ui. its stock gingerbread. most of the optimus 1 series is vanilla as well.
12. droidnator (Posts: 87; Member since: 10 Mar 2011)
Demonstrating prejudice, I see? LG make great phones, and the Nitro is the better device of the two. Don't be playa hatin', just 'cause it's LG. Sammi did a crappy job, blame them, foo.
18. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
the main reason why the Optimus 3D has performance issues is bcos of FROYO. and btw LG makes great phones too. and Samsung also has their fair share of s**t ass phones. i had 2 Samsung phones and they both sucked. as of now i have 2 LG phones and all are working fine
22. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
So you admit it's good, but because they didn't make many or any other good phones, you wouldn't go with them?
10. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
The Nitro HD is what the Thrill 4G should have been from the beginning
14. Eventhorizon (Posts: 6; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
They are both good phones, i looked both over carefully, but chose the skyrocket in white. I'm a white male 50 years old been married 25 years, two sons one in college, white yea white. yesterday i had 5 bars of LTE and had download speeds of 48.65mbps and uploads 8.88mbps. It was no fluke I re-ran the test sitting at a stop light 4 times all 4 were near the same. I live in north Dallas. The coverage up here is simply amazing.
15. WirelessCon (Posts: 309; Member since: 11 May 2010)
YES! Finally, a PHONE BATTLE!
Nitro? Really? Maybe for watching porn, but there's more to a phone than porn.
Does this mean that Super AMOLED Plus is no longer necessary or beneficial versus IPS?
PhoneArena picked a PHONE with a crackling tone! How does that win a PHONE BATTLE?
23. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 467; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Actually, I think porn would look nicer on the samoled+, hd is good for fine text and just over nice clarity, anyways, I agree with phonearena. Go make your own website and reviews if your not satisfied. I doubt anyone would be a fan of your site...
16. Eventhorizon (Posts: 6; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Hey what happened to the Galaxy Nexus coming out today on Verizon? Hum bogus rumors and speculation.
17. snowgator (Posts: 3345; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I think LG has really become a respectable phone maker again. I agree their UI is bland and adds nothing, but their devices are really smoother in their performance. I liked the Thrill a ton, and my friend's Revolution is not a bad phone either. It will be interesting to see how dependable it will be. The Skyrocket is a okay device. Samsung sure is reputed to be a more reliable phone maker.
25. Martine (Posts: 102; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
but why is Nitro HD scrolling on browser that laggy?
31. Nathan (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
Its not the hardware's fault, its the sucky LG custom UI that causes the lagg, if you put a custom ROM or root the phone, the phone should work just fine.
26. Nathan (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
I still prefer the White Samsung Skyrocket. The LG Nitro HD is a great device but i'm just not a fan of LG phones.
27. rayjones09 (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Dec 2010)
Why is that browser so laggy??? That is unacceptable lol
33. dahraf (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
I just switched from Iphone to GS2 Skyrocket white and i love this phone. It is super fast and its LTE performs excellent so far.
35. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
The screen resolution on the Nitro is it's ONLY advantage over the Skyrocket, THAT'S IT. But the colors on the Nitro looked washed-out compared to the Skyrocket. I prefer the Skyrocket because it is lag-free, whereas the Nitro is jerky in its motions. The cameras take the same identical pictures in regards to quality, so I would say it's a tie. The screen is what makes the difference and the screen is likely what causes the Nitro to lag. I prefer cooler tones to warmer ones anyway. The Skyrocket has noticeably better internet navigation as well, which is a highly used feature. There was no mention of speaker phone performance but I can say the Skyrocket is very loud, much louder than my previous Captivate was. I rather a lower top-volume level than crackling anyday. I will say that the Nitro looks a bit nicer in design, but the white Skyrocket is much better looking than the Nitro imo. From the front, the phones look VERY similar. It's pretty weak when the deciding factor comes from the battery door cover. LG has a piss-poor track record for updating phones as well. Samsung isn't much better, but it is better none-the-less. I researched the hell out of these 2 phones because I was going to buy 1 or the other. For my needs, I found the Skyrocket a much better choice. I rather a very smooth, snappy phone over one with a better resolution with washed out colors.
36. rockyb (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
please someone tell me which one to get!? i have to make my decision by friday it's so hard to choose! best out of 10 votes! please. thank you.
38. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
if your looking for a phone with high res screen LG nitro but horrible updates. lower res screen but super amo + sgs2 or if you want high res and super amo hope the galaxy nexus releases tomorrow or just get the razr if your willing to switch carriers
37. c.hack (Posts: 526; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Another Android lovefest for 2. All Droids look the same.
40. Sorainzo (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
The Samsung Galaxy S2 is an excellent, top-of-the-line phone, andI was going to say that the LG Nitro HD was no contest but its specs aren't that bad either.