LG G3 vs Google Nexus 5
0. phoneArena 19 Jun 2014, 09:29 posted on
The LG G3 is all the rage right now, and that's not surprising in the least. Boasting latest generation hardware, including a Quad HD (1440 x 2560 pixels) resolution display, there's a lot to love about the G3. But how does it handle the far more affordable Nexus 5? Let's find out...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
2. adwienc (Posts: 135; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
N5 all the way, G3 is too big, but it's battery is tempting
3. AfterShock (Posts: 3570; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Update Nexus dalvik/art libraries, Google doesn't do that, but OEM do.
4. Xperia_droid (Posts: 25; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
i still prefer Nexus 5
Comfortable to operate
still very good camera.
one of the most beautiful display out there.
nexus branding .
5. jinwons (Posts: 95; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
I think PA should tell how they tested G3 battery life. Many other reviewers are saying it's worse than S5, M8 under heavy usage though not bad. Especially when GPU is put under stress, G3 will take hit on battery and brightness due to massive resolution.
6. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3643; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Beauty is in the eye of beholder Crispy, I love Nexus 5's design more.
8. PootisMan (Posts: 204; Member since: 02 Aug 2013)
Well for starters they zoomed in on both displays to compare the difference in pixel density. The Nexus 5 had a 1080p display compared to the G3 which has a QHD display.
16. Chris.P (Posts: 317; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Blame Victor H. True story.
You can write something nasty under his latest storyhttp://www.phonearena.com/news
9. ryan5609 (Posts: 99; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
In terms of smoothness, I would put the Nexus 5 running ART against any phone in the world. Android has never been as clean and polished as it is with the Nexus 5. That is why I am not switching my phone to anything other than something running stock Android, or a very lightly modified version like the Moto X.
10. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1060; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Nexus 5 wins. Just offers a better experience with future proof specs. The G3 is nice but overkill.
11. Phoenity (Posts: 13; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
Would the conclusion change much if the G3 being compared was running a GPE or stock rom (ART) with an app installed to have a better calibrated screen? I know getting used to the size difference and the screen in daylight wouldn't really change, but i can't help but think with better, tweaked software, the G3 is the clear winner (size/comfort aside).
17. Chris.P (Posts: 317; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Well, it really depends on what you're looking at. I mean, sure, a GPE/stock ROM would definitely help performance, but you'll be missing out on quite some extras, which you'll either have to mod back in separately, or skip on altogether.
As for the screen, I probably wouldn't bother. It really depends on your point of view of course -- if you can't tolerate even small color inaccuracies, it's your prerogative.
12. SanderBelaen (Posts: 9; Member since: 06 May 2014)
What wallpaper does the Nexus5 have here?
13. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3643; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Its one of the stock nexus 5 kitkat wallpapers.
Here's the wallpaper itself
14. fzacek (Posts: 2326; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
What? The G3's cheapo plastic back feels more high end than the Nexus 5's matte plastic? I beg to differ. Matte plastic is better than any other plastic on a phone...
18. E34V8 (Posts: 61; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Nice VS, PA. But I think you need to measure the HDR+ pic time one Nexus 5 again. With last camera update, it's become quite faster.
20. baldilocks (Posts: 558; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
Yeah, the Quadrant scores don't really mean anything. Like one comment stated, if you update the dalvik binaries, you will score well over 21,000 on Quadrant.
21. Sol.ts (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Jun 2014)
Can anyone tell me where i can find that nexus 5 arcade style theme?G3 is king but overheating/throtling problems are annoying especially during summer.My nexus 4 has the same problen and using 3g is unbearable....
22. RAVEN23 (Posts: 4; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
plz can someone help me in choosing nexus 5 vs HTC 816 which is better
23. Jinto (Posts: 414; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
Nexus 5 bro, You can install Android L on it now (and google has it as top priority for future updates)
24. fzacek (Posts: 2326; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
100% Nexus 5 IMO! Clean stock Android. 1080p display. Better one-handed use. Better build quality. Better processor and more RAM. The list goes on...
25. paschos76 (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jul 2014)
Can someone please tell me what is the theme/launcher on Nexus 5?
26. RockChalkDylan (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Dec 2014)
The nexus 5's design is just gorgeous and really gets to me, but the specs of the lg g3 beat it out. Google needs to refresh the nexus 5 becausr that would be a phone i would totally get.