LG G3 vs Apple iPhone 5s
0. phoneArena 17 Jun 2014, 08:34 posted on
The LG G3 and Apple iPhone 5s duo is a fine example for the great Android vs iOS rivalry, that's why we are staging a cage match between the design, specs and performance paradigms of the mobile juggernauts' flagships for the season.
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
This is an unfair fight. Iphone 6 vs LG G3 would be a better fight. Everybody knows that iPhone 5s is a meh.
11. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Not exactly. Software wise iPhone 5s still beats G3 and all Android phones in fluidity, OS integration and apps. In terms of hardware however, the iPhone is stuck behind by a year and G3 takes nearly all aspects with very few weak points. At the end, it up to the consumer neither you and I can and will dictate them what they want. Personally, I want to see next gen iPhone 6 fight this or the G4(hopefully with 64 bit Android).
20. refillable (Posts: 834; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
You should credit pricing too. Right now In a store, the iPhone 5S is roughly about $300 more expensive than the G3 (64GB vs 32GB).
21. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
I agree. G3 give you a ton more with far less cash than 5s.
33. refillable (Posts: 834; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Let alone the iPhone 6. It will release $1300 to drop to $900 later.
28. amiaq (Posts: 503; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Wow! those rows of "i cons" look brilliant! Give me more!
35. saffant (Posts: 264; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Dunno about software integration and apps. Hard to beat my Note 3 with its productivity suite including the features like multiview and s-pen features galore.
iPhone really loses out tho in the screen real estate area. They really can't compete in this day and age with that mediocre a screen size. If you truly want a multimedia and productivity device that helps manage your life, a 4" screen is not gonna cut it.
Bring on the 6. Here's to hoping things will be different.
36. adwienc (Posts: 136; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
It depends, if I would choose I'd definitely go with iPhone. I'm not fan of Apple, but LG has gone too far with size of G3, I prefer one hand usage over, non sense 2K resolution. If I would want to have such big screen I'd buy iPad Mini or other tablet, as for phone G3 is way too big.
Also I prefer not-so-much bloated software and integration within apps on iOS is superb so I would definitely choose this one.
Z2 compact come to me!
12. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Maybe or maybe not. Few years back, LG makes god awful phones but now it go tow to tow with Samsung and Apple. I will never buy the iPhone but I like to see how this phone stir the competition. Same goes to all Windows phones.
14. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
I mean't toe not tow.
PS: I hope that Phone extent their editing time to 10 mins. 240 second is just not enough for me.
18. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
"The plastic G3 feels less premium to hold, and is much harder to use with one hand than the iPhone 5s - those get traded for the large 5.5” display......"
If i had a dime for everytime you guys ranted about plastic and how, to YOU, it allegedly feels 'less premium to hold' my GOD I'd be much richer.
And, what's this fetish you guys have with how you feel something, it's just not right; it's almost akin to saying, "well, I prefer the hard silicone flexible toy with batteries over the plastic fixed one, it just feels better against my tender skin and I simply LOVE the sensation I get when I turn it on, Margaret!" And, what's up with these small hands; hope it's not a proportional thing for you guys.
Personally, I think, the bigger the better; even if one has to use two hands.
23. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2367; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
If you were much richer, you could buy a premium feeling device ;)
30. Diezparda (Posts: 732; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
you could doesn't mean you should, it's matter of preference and in the end most people will put some plastic case over their aluminum phone.
26. Supraman21 (Posts: 243; Member since: 09 Jun 2010)
Metal feels more premium than plastic. Get over it. Its fact.
31. wildfiregt (Posts: 157; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
it is more comfortable to hold a plastic device than metal or aluminum
It's the real fact
I'm talking about holding the device not looking
And yet, because it is named plastic, they call it less premium
seriously that logic must stop
32. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
What logic??? Unless you're referring to iLogic, hmmmmmm, that's it!
34. Supraman21 (Posts: 243; Member since: 09 Jun 2010)
No. I want to get a phone with a better camera and battery life but I just cant give up my HTC One because I know every other plastic device is gonna feel cheap. Metal feels so much more premium than plastic. It just doesnt compare. Fact. Look at every review out there.
38. Leo_MC (Posts: 796; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Me too, that's why I - just like any normal human - use a laptop when I need a big screen and an iPhone when I need to send a message.
19. Heatfan316 (Posts: 587; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Samsung's tacky amoled displays! I lost respect for you as an editor. Pathetic!
4. jove39 (Posts: 1665; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
You are disrespecting G3 by comparing it to iPhone!
13. vishalaestro (Posts: 78; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
dude the camera results are a crap .the results of lg g3 is not as good as this article had mentioned i searched lot of review sites and found that apple camera is superior to g3 in low light shots whereas in daylight the difference is barely noticeable .and about the processor you guys just understand that architecture matters not clock speed or no of cores a7 architecture is still powerful than 801 since a7 can issue six instructions per second while the snapdragon can issue only two .i would say only in the battery dept lg is slightly ahead and of course the screen size and the os.
16. jove39 (Posts: 1665; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
1. You're right and wrong - "architecture matters" that's right "not clock speed or no of cores" is wrong. Cyclone has IPC of 6...but krait400 has IPC of 2-3 (guess from previous reads on anandtech). now factor in clock speeds which are nearly double than cyclone (1.3-1.4), krait400(2.5). then add two additional cores in s801 soc...now your claims fall flat!
2. Yes cyclone cores are powerful than krait400 or any other 32/64bit vanilla arm core. "six instructions per second"? You meant per cycle/clock!
3. clearly visible in review G3 has much better battery performance.
6. AJagtiani (Posts: 466; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
Comparing the LG G3 to an iPhone is clearly wrong. One is a Samsung knock off and the other is well, a Samsung knock code.
**serious pun intended**
9. ChandlerBing (Posts: 35; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
I get you. I like your sense of sarcasm. Long lost twin of mine?
8. jove39 (Posts: 1665; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
You are now measuring audio quality of device too...but just by volts and db...please include dynamic range and stereo crosstalk ratings as well.
10. palmguy (Posts: 459; Member since: 22 Mar 2011)
Like a small child standing near an adult.
15. bucky (Posts: 2277; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
The lg g3 looks good but I just can't understand how much bigger these phones can get while catering to mass crowds. This things makes even the gs5 and htc one look small.
17. twens (Posts: 905; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Here is an answer for you, if apple makes a 5.5" phone you would be surprised it might even sell more than the smaller one. People buy iPhones because it's apple, they will buy anything and leave with it once it's from apple.
24. bucky (Posts: 2277; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
That's a wonderful answer and makes a ton of sense.
22. alaw.14 (Posts: 227; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
Sunspider is a browser benchmark. I dont think it is a performance benchmark.
27. ThePython (Posts: 820; Member since: 08 May 2013)
...because comparing a nearly year-old phone with one released a few weeks ago is completely fair.
37. The_Fresh_Prince (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Jun 2014)
Even though the G3 destroys the iPhone hardware wise, the iPhone can easily keep up with the G3 because it is optimized so well.
39. niecha (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Aug 2014)
It's really funny how everyone thinks that their phone is best but in retrospect ur preference is determined by how much money u can afford to spend on a phone so If u have more money u will prefer the iPhone and if you have less well whatever is out there
40. tylerj84 (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Aug 2014)
I feel the people doing the comparison were biased from the beginning. Everything that the G3 had going for it they seemed to belittle it. Just the them saying the resolution of the G3 was over kill even though it's the best on the market. Or how they down played how much storage the g3 had by saying the iPhone has other storage options. But considering the iPhone's other storage options cost extra money, that is a HUGE difference but yet the belittle the storage the g3 has. Or when they talked about the new way the g3 had a New initiative volume and power option on the back, but yet they said the iphone's volume controls were "breezy" to use bc of it's size, like wth?! I had the 5s and just upgraded this week to a g3 and the G3 kicks the 5s' ass. But I will say that with the 5s being a ur old and the g3 being new, it was kind of an unfair comparison. But if they were going to do it anyways, they should have been straight up about it. Not down playing the g3. The iPhone 6 will be a wayyy fairer comparison.