LG G2 takes on Xperia Z Ultra's Triluminos display, the GS4, HTC One and the iPhone 5: screen comparison
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2013, 02:12 posted on
The LG G2 has arrived, and it's obvious that the company's new flagship wants to be the baddest boy in town. As such, however, it has to prove that it can take on all the other bad boys in a series of intense tests. We've already published our review of the G2, as you've probably noticed, and it's clear that we're quite impressed by LG's latest and greatest. But it's now time to see exactly how well the G2's gigantic 5.2” IPS display handles the competition in the form of the Xperia Z Ultra's mighty Triluminous display, the HTC One's S-LCD 3, the Galaxy S4's Super AMOLED and the Apple iPhone 5's IPS Retina Display...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1392; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I'll go with the Triluminous display.(personal preference)
iPhone got nice display but its too small for my standard.
2. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Sony did a great job with Triluminous.
Just wait for Z1 to blow all the competition.
6. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
P.S: Your conclusion in final word made my day... LOL
14. eli577 (Posts: 84; Member since: 29 Jun 2010)
I do not see why is the Ultra's display is so special. It has the worst color reproduction of these five in the article and the worst wieving angles (and I think wieving angles are as important as the other categories).
Oh yeah, don't forget to insert "away" after blow. This way your last sentence is a bit awkward.
38. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Sony might have done a good job but it is worse than Iphone 5 which is a year old phone.
3. Trex95 (Posts: 883; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
It seems that LG G2 IPS and IPhone 5 IPS about the same! sure LG has full HD and higher pixels density but colors reproduction looks about the same.
1- HTC one
2- LG G2
4- IPhone 5
5- XZU love this screen but unfortunately doesn't looks that good in these screens test :/
9. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1392; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
1- Xperia Z ultra (Sony did an outstanding job)
2- HTC One (always loved slcd displays)
3- LG G2 (pretty decent display for the monster)
5- iPhone 5 (great display but tiny screen blows it all)
My personal preference....
22. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
per display has a one advantage ..
in overall if we seem the best natural color among them with best res and brighttness i`ll pick up one and next g2 and iphone 5.
29. Trex95 (Posts: 883; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Actually Super Amoled still has an advantage over all these displays saturate colors looks great in gaming.
10. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Go home, you're drunk
or maybe you need a new pair of eyes!
4. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1392; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
"we'd say that the screen of the iPhone 5 is probably the best all-round performer"
i honestly didn't expect this. Good job apple.
but the problem is small sized display. Its kinda small for todays standard. at least a 4'3 or 4'5 inch will cool.
what's the purpose of having a great display technology on such a tiny screen.
I mean 4" inch display kinda sucks for gaming,movies,web browsing etc which is the main departments where a great display shines.
I hope apple would increase display size.
5. istitch (Posts: 181; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
The iphone 5 's display is really great, but then it's too small to even have a enjoyable experience.
I shall pick the Z ultra for the triluminos display
7. pyradark (Posts: 831; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Triluminos Kicks everyone
I have one that's why I love it!!!
8. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
the legendary htc one is suffering from viewing angle problems here. wow. however, they shouldn't be using those color graphs for testing viewing angles. it's better to use a photo so you can actually see some real differences. the xperia z will excel with those color graphs/grids used since the xperia z brightens when you tilt it. you tend to see brightening there instead of washed out colors.
15. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1392; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
C'mon man iPhone still a nice device.
it have its pros and cons but still a nice device for its standard.
can't you see, iPhone 5 still stand up against today most flagships.
30. Meleagru (Posts: 92; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
It would be nice if it were half the going price. As it is, it's ridiculously expensive.
13. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Display measurements aren't done through normal eye. You need very accurate instruments to measure various parameters. You have to take into account a lot of parameters which are simply not possible through naked eye. No offense, but we need much more scientific result than this.
Rather wait for something more scientific like displaymate comparison.
19. Ray.S (Posts: 324; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
Data from scientific tests has been used for this comparison.
27. Retro-touch (Posts: 273; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I find that hard to believe when I don't see charts showing these scientific results as well as more in depth analysis of results as opposed to just skimming through and claiming one is better than the other. In fact AMOLED screens tend to have great outdoor visibility according to a number of sites that actually do scientific test due to low reflectance despite having lower brightness, secondly the conclusion is not based on results but opinion, which is not what I'm interested in, thanks for the review
16. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
XZU and One did great job with their Triluminous and SLCD3 displays resp. along with G2 with IPS LCD, then S4 and iPhone, iPhone's screen is good in all but too small hence after S4. Overall G2 is great.
17. supa_dupa (Posts: 78; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Triluminos is such a disappointment... HTC One rocks! LG G2 is a close second...
23. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Can you elaborate on why ZU is a disappointment? or maybe your comment comes from your fanboism?!
28. Remmy (Posts: 123; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
don't mind him, he just can't accept the fact that Sony's Triluminos is actually a good performer. :)
18. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2269; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
S4 was the worst on there...imo...#1 htc, #2LGg2
21. Akfred (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
SONY Xperia ZU for good color seperation
Iphone 5 for better brightness
S4 for viewing angles
24. proto (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
i don't know what is wrong with you dear Ray S., but from pictures GS4 have best viewing angles...
26. jeff1434325 (Posts: 97; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
yeah, I have observed that too. thought I was the only one.
25. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
i still love amoled no matter what.. what's the point to having an amoled screen if you keep bitching about natural color.. i want more than just "natural".. so IMO there is no need to compare amoled to lcd anytime anyday.. for natural color freaks you can go with lcd.. for oversaturated and WOW factor lovers you can join me..
33. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 524; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
The other great thing is Amoled can be dimmed very low without getting washed out. Yes lcd can go brighter but when you do a lot of reading at night in the dark with your wife in bed next to you sleeping, being able to dim the screen very low becomes very important. This is the one reason I stay with amoled.
31. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
1. LG G2
3. HTC One and iphone
sorry no Samsung, amoled vs lcd is like apple vs orange
32. TheM16 (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
(Noted in this forum)
Why most of people become negative when any of "Sony" products and phones is praised!
Is it fanism or just hatred?
Does it always have to be the popular brands to get fair and positive responses?
This is just sad...
IMO all screens looks good and the micro differences are not noticeable for the naked eye and won’t be a deal breaker! Even though I still prefer LCDs over AMOLED.
35. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
The iPhone 5 screen quality kills my Note 2 but I rank it last just because of screen size. It's like going to a fine restaurant where the food is excellent but they give you a portion so small you leave the restaurant still feeling empty.
36. adrialk (Posts: 20; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Why not include the Moto X or Droid MAXX? Yes they are 720P, but they are close to the Iphone 5 in terms of pixel density.
39. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
i still go for LG G2 anytime of the day. next would be One then Z Ultra. S4 not my type of display. IP5, too small.
40. Steve2121 (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
How is the iphone 5 even in this? 1080p only if your really looking for the best screen.