Jolla Smartphone Review
0. phoneArena 14 Feb 2014, 07:00 posted on
What's unique about the Jolla smartphone is that it is powered by Sailfish OS – a new platform based on the now-forgotten MeeGo operating system. The software is capable of running Android apps and it its user interface relies heavily on gesture-based user interaction...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
128. Bernoulli (Posts: 2314; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
then again is an opinion, and apparently you cared enough to comment
129. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3362; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Thanks for sticking for your nose where it doesn't belong, but I referring to the fact that no one's gonna care if he stops watching Phone Arena videos.
132. Bernoulli (Posts: 2314; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Anytime! Or you know, you can show that no one cares by not trying to belittle him with your comment
130. diyi75 (Posts: 63; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
Looks like a fair review of a piece of crap phone. Battery life seems horrendous, app compatibly is terrible, seems to be a fair review.
133. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1124; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
lol this phone has a stand by time of about atleast 20 days
app compatibility is improved
this reviewer just took it out of the box and put it back in and reviewed didn't even bother updating the software which is what normal people do
and lastly you're reviweing a beta unit great job !
fair review my ass
134. magnum44 (unregistered)
I love my Nokia N9 and still use it as my main phone. I even bought the white version for my wife (mine is black). This from a guy who owns 7 other top end devices from the high premium cream of 2012 and 2013. But this jolla device is definitely No ME GO. The review is fair and square.
135. NateAdam8 (Posts: 268; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
An OS that uses Android Applications to get consumers is just something and/or someone sucking on Android Teets to get by.
136. jowal (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Jan 2015)
I think it is not quite fair review. It shows that reviewer has not understood what is core of this phone, just like to see a sport car like Ferrari and sa in review "this is quite nice but very low car so it will be not practical for shopping of a house wife". True? yes! true! But it is not what for a Ferrari was built for! And this is my "against" for this review. I also have noticed some parts which are misleading or false: eg.: you can use ANY source of Android software including Google play store, not only Yandex! that is not true info, which implies from the text of review. And the same is about number of software, seems that reviewer were not familiar or has not tried many most of Sailfosh and Jolla advantages. SO, I'd like to remind some of them, those most important for me, some advertised by Jolla, some figured out by users themselves:
1) Jolla smartphone OS is full Linux MeeGo Sailfish OS, note full Linux, just contrary to castrated Linux with mounted Dalvik commonly called Android. Full Linux mean there are no limitations known from Android. It can be considered as full computer with abilies of an portable Linux computer.
2) Sailfish OS is direct incarnation or further developed version of Linux MeeGo known from legendary Nokia N9.
3) Jolla has been formed by ex-Nokia employees which were aware of MeeGo endless possibilities, so they didn't want to abandon the most promising Nokia project since timebeginning of Symbian OS. That means Jolla is small company but full of experienced people who know how to do mobile devices- they know how to avoid mistakes and problems. So users will be more safe form nasty problems. just like with experienced physician: experience cause he/she don't need to experiment on you, they know what to do, and how.
4) Linux mean it is multitasking OS - so no freezing apps in a background like in Android. As Sailfish in about 70-80% is MeeGo code which was optimized by Intel+Nokia and after this was polished and developed further in frames of the MERproject.org, in total that means this is more then solid mobile Linux piece of art. In practice that mean entirely much better and effective use of resources hence much better performance with the same CPU and resources. For user that means one can see via internet browser something like internet TV or observe changing prices of papers live online and make call and write and text - all together in the same time and all 3 activities will be independent and one is not disturbing another. This is very different experience when user is not limited by "frozen in background app" so, eg. one will not loose a moment for the most optimal decision to sell or to buy and will have possibility to make an order in this moment because all 2 needed apps for this can be switched live in the fly - that is what true multitasking is. Sailfish at current Jolla device can work without lags and slow-downs with around 20 different apps running in the same time. Common user a few only.
137. jowal (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Jan 2015)
(continuation from previous post, above one)
5) Sailfish is safe as a Linux and Jolla declared they respect privacy and not share any user data with anybody. That mean you don't have installed any spyware by default like Windows with PRISM and MYSTIC or Android.
6) Because of Linux nature if any spyware or malware would like to be installed in the Sailfish OS then user must allow for this like any other installation of any other software. So if one will not allow for an installation it will not happen - if one don;t have a stupid habit of accepting any demand for installation then is more safe from malware and spyware.
7) Sailfish OS is the only one Linux platform that can use software of: 1) native Sailfish OS software 2) Android apps due to built in Alien Dalvik 3) Linux software from huuuge Linux library. Either recompiled from sources or compatibile with CPU binaries in RPM packages standard 4) those of MeeGo Linux software pieces which are compatible with can work under Sailfish UI. That makes in total theoretically about 650000 of unique software positions.
7a) Software can be dowloaded from any source including Google store not only Yandex or Jolla.com.
8) Sailfish has further developed gesture based UI known from Nokia N9 which gives much faster and more comfortable use of the device by all means.
9) Jolla with Sailfish OS is a power tool for every admin or IT involved person which allow to control supervised web sites, portals or services. It has built in linux terminal/console mode which allow to communicate with system using commands or log in with terminal mode. No other device allow this so easy and effectively.
10)One of biggest advantages is that project is under continuous development and the development is upon customers requests - what in general mean Jolla is paying attention to users needs, demands, requests. Hence Sailfish OS is continuously perfected and in the way it is demanded by users. This is very important as it in not an OS without bugs or all-having-one. Users are not left alone without help, however that not means that every ideas are realised - but priority of each one is set upon votes of community at together.jolla.com
11) I tried and I can confirm it is worth to try Sailfish OS.
138. jowal (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Jan 2015)
Most of above aspects, which IMHO, are very important has not been even noticed at all, like mulstitasking