Huawei Ascend P1 Review
0. phoneArena 01 Jun 2012, 05:53 posted on
The Huawei Ascend P1 was the first element in this strategy that was announced at CES before the quad-core monsters we handled at MWC, and just as the company promised it is on our dissection table in the beginning of the summer. Did we mention it is compact and stylish with a catchy two-tone design? It is, but what if we bite and get it only to discover the Ascend P1 is overpromising and underdelivering like a presidential candidate? Fret not, we dove in for you, so read on our review to find out...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
If priced correctly it could be a device worth the look for some people. Not for me I target the highest end phones.
2. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3062; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
The back still looks Chinese-y...no offence!!
But it looks sleek none the less.
6. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Considering it looks nothing like the iphone it must really be a rip off >.>
5. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Daniel, "hua" is pronounced "hwa" with an "h".
13. nicholassss (Posts: 359; Member since: 10 May 2012)
the average american probably wont be able to pronounce it. IF they ever blow up stateside everyone will be saying "howie" I'm sure.
7. JayRaj (Posts: 54; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)
Just 7 for such a device?! I've seriously started doubting u guys' rating...
9. bobsen (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
Thanks for the review. Were all the photos taken with default settings? I would like to see some photos with the saturation turned up.
10. slaggyb (Posts: 193; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
This is a very capable phone for power users and it got stock ICS with a pentaband 3G frequency how many phones currently in the market can boast of that? Apart from the limited internal memory and a high price of 500bucks this indeed is a well buit and equipped phone....Good job Huawei atleast when your newer and higher end phones with HD resolution are released later on this year it be able to compete with the likes of the SAMSUNG GALAXY S iii and the HTC ONE X....
11. Utipod (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
How long before Apple sues them for building a rectangle?
12. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Better not say anything bad about this device, allotta chinese around here
14. dysokha (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Jun 2012)
Could you show the price and how can I buy it?
15. avivaus (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
is the ascend p1 have OTG?
and it is flash supported?
16. TechnoViel (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
Nice Review, nice phone - if the price drops I'll surely consider it for a buy!
One question: I see the mcro-SD slot is externally accessible... can you change the SD card without shutting down the phone? USB OTG would also be nice to know...
@avivaus: Flash ist still available, but Adobe is withdrawing the app from the play store (I think July 15th - so very soon!) and will not support Android 4.1 / Jelly Bean. But this apply to any Android phone!
17. eekiguy (Posts: 2; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
TechnoViel @ I cant get OTG working on my P1 with the cable i have, but the SD slot is good enough, dont like to keep a cable in my pocket anyw.
I feel some of the US reviews are way to negative on Huawei, i dont know if its cos of high pricing in US or they just dont like Chinese phone brands giving other big players a though competition.
The P1 is a great phone for this price, in China for about 315-375USD, i dont see any other phone come near this price tag with its specs.
Did a search and found it for 369USD + shipping from hotmid:
18. TechnoViel (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
@eekiguy: Thanks for your reply. What a pity about OTG, but you're right, the microSD slot partly makes up for that. I might start using microSD cards in my camaera, so I can bump these into the phone and send some shots home ;-)
Here in Europe it's still at ~385 EUR, that's >450USD :-(
Still a very nice phone :)
(I'm planning to review it against Xperia P and One S on www.technoviel.de, but wait for confirmation on the test units)
19. gauravb (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
Can u tell me the available ram (free and used)
20. TechnoViel (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
These numbers depend extremely on which apps are running, what the phone is currently doing - I don\'t think quoting a number here would make any sense...
21. gauravb (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
i mean to say when we boot first time or after clearing the ram then how much it show used and free