HTC Windows Phone 8X Review
0. phoneArena 29 Oct 2012, 14:00 posted on
Now that Windows Phone 8 is making a big push, the Taiwan based company is banking to see its HTC 8X being the premier smartphone for the platform out of the gate. Indeed, it’s treading a different path with its out-of-character design, but will it be enough to compete in the ring with some of today’s heavy hitters in the business?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
24. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Yeah I don't get it! Spend some time with it before making a decision on it. Very weird.
6. smallworld (Posts: 485; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
"Few worthwhile improvements with WP8" I expect the same cons for the Lumia 920.
8. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
Good review, but there are many things missing.
9. Vikranth (Posts: 6; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Rock on Buddy..The Hero of Windows Phone Ecosystem is Lumia 920...
15. GoBears (Posts: 450; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Not a bad device but I think the Nokia 920 is much better. I really hope MS does some fast upgrades to this OS. If this is the OS that Nokia is betting the bank on, then they are in bigger trouble than I thought.
16. Schmao (Posts: 358; Member since: 05 Jul 2009)
Whatever happened to the special audio amplifier? Doesn't seem like it is anything useful...
18. papss (unregistered)
What others have said.. If its not the 920 it's not worth the Upgrade
19. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
I thought the windows 8 UI was going to better; maybe the Nokia 920 will get a 9
25. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
How? His review will be the same across the board. If it's not customizable or has an Apple logo, no WP will ever get a 9 plus. You see these people don't pay attention to Joe b. when he does his presentations. All they care about is "where is the phone? What does it have in it?"
20. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Best design out there.. beats the 920 convincingly.
That said, the screen should be bigger and the phone should be thinner to make this look really shine.
33. StreetNerd (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
bigger? 4-4.3 inch perfect.... bigger is like a brick in ur pocket
21. papss (unregistered)
29. psysect (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
like it..good spc..It has Mini amplifire..
im waiting for it ..lumia too expensive.
34. StreetNerd (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
yea true story.... i just sold my Lumia 800 for 200 euros and pre-ordered the 8S for 270 euros off contract.
my contract will be till march 2013, by thn i will get a real high end WP8 device(surface phone maybe?)
30. dblue45 (Posts: 77; Member since: 26 Aug 2009)
I believe this is the first Windows Phone to get 7.5+ from Phonearena. Hats off to HTC! Great job.
38. snowgator (Posts: 3597; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Both the Focus S and the 900 got "8". I am waiting for the first WP to break that barrier.
36. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
this is already available?!
wow so early!! but still would go for lumia 920 instead!
37. MitchellSheehan (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Mr John. Kindly tell me what features are lacking. Id like to know. Please be specific. Coz from where I see it, Its a winning platform here.
41. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1237; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Don't be upset, he also says it can't take good pictures in the dark and has a "blah" internal speaker... like every other phone in the history of everdom.
44. b1acktiger (Posts: 223; Member since: 19 May 2012)
The Display and the Camera makes the difference with 8x. the light weighted design and beats audio amplifier is +1 for 8X. I see the 920 wave is hitting the whole WP8 devices. The range of colours and light weighted of 8X impressed me.
49. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
the audio amplifier has a catch on 8x..coz it only works through headphones..
on the other note, nokia lumia 920 has dolby digital software. i saw it on the settings. its for headphones aswell.. so they are tie on headphones.
lumia 920 built in speaker is louder... reason? because its bigger than htc since thinner phones cant put better speaker inside...
so the +1 is for nokia here.
46. Seanburns (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Phone Arena,you talk rubbish. Windows 8 & iOS non of these OS need quad core. We don't need quad core in a mobile phone. Android is so resource heavy and laggy even the GS3 lags. Android is the only one that needs quad core. You talk crap reviews
51. picassimo (Posts: 14; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
The area of Township, NJ that the reviewer took pictures of, I'm wondering how the streets look right now after Sandy.
=%09150+Quakerbridge+Mall++Law rence+Township,+NJ+08648&hl=en &ll=40.212441,-73.943481&spn=2.240029,4.93835 4&sll=42.062327,-87.932094&sspn=0.136111,0.3086 47&hq=150+Quakerbridge+Mall++L awrence+Township,+NJ+08648&rad ius=15000&t=m&z=8
52. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Only thing you need to know about this HTC device is:
Cheap copycat -> see how long you can throw it or puke on it!
53. Aslam (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Oct 2012)
HTC WP phone will build a competitive with Nokia Lumia 920 or Samsung Galaxy Note 2 !http://www.gsmsouth.com/
56. nooraldeen (Posts: 49; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
the htc 8x already lost the fight against Lumia 920 , im not saying it's a bad phone. it's good but not enough to beat the Lumia 920
57. GMC626 (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
The initial reviews of the Nokia 920 haven't been decisive over the 8x.
60. nooraldeen (Posts: 49; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
the specs sheet is a thing and the performance is another thing , it's true that there is not a big difference between the 2 but the lumia is better
both have 8MP camera but the lumia's camera is better and the screen is better (u cant tell the difference between the 768 or 720 in res or the 332/342 ppi) but it's considered better and also the lumia got a faster refresh rate so there is reduced blur when moving the UI ir the text . both don't have a SDcard slot . so the lumia is better with it's 32 gigs , the 8x is 16 gigs . so if some1 will have to choose between the Lumia or the 8x the Lumia is a better choice unless that 1 didn't want a bulky phone :)
54. adrikfog (Posts: 2; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
The design is absolutely wonderful. Love HTC and can't wait to try out WP8 for myself!