HTC One (M8) Review
0. phoneArena 25 Mar 2014, 10:45 posted on
There’s no denying that HTC is at a cross road at the moment. Rather than scaling back and rushing development, they’ve taken the time out to plan a strategy to emerge victorious this year with its newest flagship phone. The result of all of the work is now being seen in the all new HTC One, or as some of us know of it intimately by its codename, the M8 for short. Of course, the road ahead is unpredictable, but the new HTC One is one short step away in making people believe in the impossible...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
20. almostdone (Posts: 231; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
It could of been worse. With the same 4 UltraPixelated camera they should of been deducted 2 points.
47. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
We have to wait for camera comparison first. Because they have done improvement in their ultra pixel camera.
61. MrKoles (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
What kind of improvement?
You mean that childish faux bokeh effect?
2 minutes in any photo-app and I will do a better one.
Certainly one of the biggest gimmicks of smartphones in 2014...they should have used a different camera tech because Ultrapixel was outdated and pathetic either last year.
109. Jinto (Posts: 436; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
The headphone jack design in
really bothers me...
73. hassoups (Posts: 473; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
I don't understand how not being waterproof lowered the review though, Id take this over flaps all over the place. I'll wait and see if they'll treat the next iPhone the same way because I'm pretty sure it won't be waterproof.
105. Maryewww (Posts: 32; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
It wasn't a con until sammy got involved in the waterproof department, PA are awesomely biased...
29. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
But wasn't it unboxed a few minutes ago by Daniel P.?
54. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
So P.A. had 2 HTC Ones?
56. HouTexan (Posts: 439; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
They've had a review unit for awhile like most of the websites have.
62. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
I know that. The question is how come they got 2 of them?
92. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 408; Member since: 24 May 2011)
They made the videos before hand and posted them together. Seriously how hard is it to get that.
69. bassof (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
BIG FAIL Phone.
Move it there's nothing new to see here.
the best phone so far this year Galaxy S5, no doubt .
78. Chunkyspudface (Posts: 65; Member since: 31 May 2013)
Eh? What new does the GS5 bring that make it stand out (that aren't gimmicks no-one uses) then? Another uninspired piece of plastic to add to the thousands already flooding the market, at least HTC are TRYING to make their product stand out. Samsung rely too much on the fact that millions will blindly buy it anyway...
79. Chunkyspudface (Posts: 65; Member since: 31 May 2013)
I'll admit the camera features of the M8 are pretty gimmicky though.
96. iushnt (Posts: 1749; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
A better camera..screen with 2nits lowest brightness and 500nits+ highest brightness, water and dust resistant, download mode merges LTE and WiFi, two WiFi antennas for better connectivity.., ultra power saving mode makes the screen black and white and only allws limited number of apps to run, also heard rate sensor is better than having 2_cameras at .. the m8 is just ahead in design and nothing else
99. Chunkyspudface (Posts: 65; Member since: 31 May 2013)
I know that the HTC One wasn't a huge leap in specs (yet neither was the s5) but they at least seem keen to innovate or try and change things. If the galaxy s5 wasn't the same (very similar) plastic slab, I would agree with you. I'm not saying the s5 is a bad phone, just simply that samsung seem to be getting complacent...
100. threeline (Posts: 267; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Very well put, you just sold me on the GS5 and I have the GS4. I was looking for something different this time but after the camera let down on the M8 I now realize that the upgrades the GS5 has are very useful; dual wi-fi antennae, download booster that merges LTE and wi-fi and a upgraded camera. Those are the 3 most used features for me. I really don't care if it has a metal or glass or plastic housing as long as it's well constructed.
103. Droiderr (Posts: 35; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
well said.. but i dont agree its ahead in design too.. Comapare the dimensions and weight of m8 with s5. S5 is significantly smaller and lighter even though it has a bigger battery.
If design means only looks then it acceptable but i dont think thats the case.
102. Droiderr (Posts: 35; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
to name a few:
1. finger print scanner
2. heart rate monitor
3. water resistance
4. better hardware and camera
6. lighter and smaller with same screen size.
now go figure!!
112. Blaze.Infernus (Posts: 16; Member since: 01 May 2014)
Maybe if you like Touchwhiz, which personally I think is garbage. Not to mention the bloatware.
71. Dude2014 (Posts: 441; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
How come this HTC One M8 only gets 8.8 while iPhone 5Crap got 9.0? We know HTC One M8 is obviously not the best phone out there. But still at least it's much better than iPhone 5C in every way. The only three things let me down are stupid logo placement, really huge size compared to other 5" phones and of course camera.
59. 7Superman9 (Posts: 86; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
How is it that the battery, that according to them lasted longer than the G2, which is also bigger is not a"Pro". Same goes for the 128Gb so card slot. Really, really????
3. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
nice, great review, but 8,8 that"s bias John V.....
33. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Did you look at performance? Did you look at photos? Did you look at size, weight (BIG!) vs. screen size and battery size (moderately small)?
50. true1984 (Posts: 823; Member since: 23 May 2012)
can someone explain the weight thing to me? i don't see the big deal as long as i dont get a workout lifting the phone.
63. chebner (Posts: 234; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I agree that the phone is a little on the large size but the BoomSound speakers have a lot to do with that.
Regarding the battery... Please tell me what matters more, the size or how long it lasts? Last year's One had a smaller battery than the S4 but lasted longer.