GSM Cameraphone Comparison Q2 2007
This is probably the easiest test, due to the fact that the sunlight is abundant, but, on the other hand, these are the most frequently taken pictures and therefore they tell a lot about the overall performance of a cameraphone.
N95 has come first, thanks to the good balance between the authentic colors (although oversaturated, which, however, most people like), the properly exposed detail and little noise. It is well ahead of the competition! The second place is occupied by К800 due to its colors, which are more realistic, compared to those of КG920. If the latter phone was not making almost invariably yellowish pictures (using auto white balance), it would have performed much better.
Cameraphone comparison samples. Scroll below for our category rating.
1) N95: N95 is capable of reproducing neutral colors situations best, but, unfortunately, they are all deliberately oversaturated. The brightly-lit objects burn easily, unlike D900. The 5 megapixels provide quite a lot of detail, but some pictures are blurred due to the noise reduction system.
2) K800: Wildly fighting for the first place, but the limitation of the 2 megapixels impacts the pictures negatively. It performs best as far as colors and exposition are concerned.
3) KG920: A little soft when taken, the pictures show the detail of the 5-megapixel CCD matrix after unsharpening. However, the poor color reproduction with a strong yellowish effect damages the photographs. After slight computer editing the pictures are way better than any of the other pictures! Unfortunately, the result is not the same when they are directly from the camera.
4) N93i: Just like N93, this phone generates a lot of noise in the pictures, which is either seen or it is strongly smeared by its noise reduction system and the detail simply vanishes as a consequence. The colors are realistic.
5) D900: In its attempt not to burn the pictures in the broad sunlight, D900 fails to expose enough the remaining objects, which, as a result, appear darker than normal. Very often the colors are not realistic, but the pictures show a lot of detail for their resolution, compared to N93i for instance.
1. SAAD (unregistered) posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:55 0 0
I think the price tag of N95 is quite high. It costs 52000 RS.(875$) here in Pakistan. Undoubtfully N95 has a better cam than K800 and personally I preffer the colors of N95 over K800. It's an exllent comparison and will help a lot of people who want to buy a good camera phone..
2. Ian (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 00:43 0 0
Comparing detail areas from any of the picture sets shows that the N95 is virtually incapable of capturing any! It has *strong* in-camera sharpening and noise reduction, and consequently leaves, grass, faces, etc. are unrecognizable. The colors for many sets were also less accurate, to my eyes, than the K800.
3. WK (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 03:14 0 0
I'm yet to understand the meaning of this test. The K800 had far better colours than the N95; both accurate and not oversaturated. But even that wasn't enough to win each round, because the N95 had 'more resolution'. The extra resolution was wasted because the shots were blurred beyond recognition by the noise reduction system. In fact at night, the N95's shots were blurry and not as close to the real colour compared to the K800, but yet it still gets a better score. And a better test for resolution as shown in the test chart, shows that the absolute resolution of the cameras to be the same.
4. Harry (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 09:27 0 0
I wanted to see a fair camera comparison between camera phones... But what has phone arena done... Given the N95 the top spot for nothing... In most of the situation th K800 took better pics... Better color both at night as well as day... As for close up pics, did u guys turned the macro on, on th K800??? When I clicked to check which phone takes better pics, I thought N95 would be the best... But I m wrong... And The conclusion of this review is even more wrong and false... And I m not the only one to realise this, check others comments before me... It seems like *okia gave u money for this!!!
5. Dane (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 13:59 0 0
The macro feature on the k800 is one of its shining points. The fact that you can't even figure out how to use it pathetic and pitiful. All avid k800/790 users know that in order to get the best macro shots, use the zoom to zoom in a tid bit to the object, then let the phone do the rest. It's saddening to see that the k800 was scored poorly in the macro section by people who obviously don't know how to use the phone. just my .02
6. Patrick (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 14:31 0 0
What's the big deal about 5 megapixels? Unless you want to print big prints it does nothing for the quality of the shot. I don't see why you rated N95 higher than K800 in some areas simply for that.
7. LiSa (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 16:24 0 0
i'd like to see u all open up your own websites and post useful information about news and reviews. it's easy to talk $hit about other people when ur the ones who haven't made ANY effort to prove them wrong other than BASHING their legit review. if u hate them so much...FIND ANOTHER BLOGSITE YOU AGREE WITH! moving along...kudos to you guys at Phone Arena for another stellar review. clearly the n95 came out a winner, and i can't wait til i receive mine next week!! keep up the good work! ;-P
8. PhoneArena Team (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 16:47 0 0
"We shall add to those comments and evaluations for all phones in each different category, thus expressing our personal and SUBJECTIVE opinion. You could use our opinion as a reference, although you do not have to be influenced by it in any way. It’s up to you to choose what you like." PhoneArena Team
9. andrew (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 17:10 0 0
I would like to see how older phones like the sharp 903sh would have held up in the competition and also the imobile 902.
10. Voytech (unregistered) posted on 17 May 2007, 18:07 0 0
Look at the night pictures again and tell me why you scored N95 higher than K800. Left me puzzled there. On a different note, the N95 shines with its optics. Compare the day photos for magenta fringing on contrasting edges. And finally, while the N95 is a superior phone, its camera still is sub par to the one in K800. 2 extra megapixels don't really matter for much if the pictures have that "cheap digicam" video look.
11. Nirmal (unregistered) posted on 18 May 2007, 03:44 0 0
I feel sad about this review,a lot of efort has been put into it but there is poor objectivity about the final results. look at the resolution charts,clearly the resolution extinguishes at around 10(1000 lines) for n95 while for the LG lines are clear upto 14(1400).Isn't this clear to the reviewers ?
12. paranoid (unregistered) posted on 18 May 2007, 04:27 0 0
day by day the glitter around n95 is coming lesser 5 mpx camera : this review aptly demonstrates how bad this camera is though its better than n93i GPS : however does not accept any 3rd party application/maps,you have to pay by subscription 2.6 inch screen : however low resolution and pixellated Powerful processor: however very few compatible programs/games
13. allEn (unregistered) posted on 21 May 2007, 13:22 0 0
not to worry guys...n95 might shoot best pics dan k800 bt i jst don giv a damn..i m jst w8in 4 da new CYBERSHOT of sony ericsson mobile..n i am sure dat da new one wil beat n95 lyk hell.. i am satisfied with phonearena's results because k800 has less reso. dan n95 dats y n95 can take better pics..bt i m not botherd at all..to me k800 iz stil da best camera phone dat alwayz stayz in ma pocket!
14. allEn (unregistered) posted on 21 May 2007, 13:31 0 0
dis iz only auto mode u can get even beter picx if u set modes of ur own..dats my suggestion for all k800i users..
15. DJsam (unregistered) posted on 26 May 2007, 15:32 0 0
Poor SE fanboys! Besides the fact that none of you have a basic grasp of the English language, and post nothing but incoherent gobbly gook, you all need to get your eyes checked for a pair of good glasses. The N95 takes better pics! Anyone with good eyes can see that. Accept the facts, and go wait for your precious Sofia. Then try again.
16. raj (unregistered) posted on 01 Jun 2007, 13:34 0 0
I just cannot understand how the N95 with it's purple sky can beat the K800 in almost every test the K800 was out front..) I'm lost and this test leaves me with questionable motives....>
17. Me (unregistered) posted on 05 Jun 2007, 03:07 0 0
the sharp 903sh and the imobile 902? the imobile 902 will beat the crap out of any phones reviewed.http://www.mml.com.tw/topicdet
18. kenny (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2007, 07:36 0 0
"Probably in our next cameraphone comparison we will see phones that will produce better images than a pocket camera." stop dreaming you phonearena! no other phone can ever beat a digital camera, specifically the real cybershots, canons, nikons and lumix. in sensor size, lens implementation, iso setting, image processing, flash range, red-eye reduction and CCD advantage digital amera will still be a digital camera! N95's "only" advantage is it's resolution, however it's oversharpening delivers it to the worst 5mp camera phones. once sofia has arrived we'll see the real deal on phone camera. K800 on the other hand, has better macro implementation than N95. K800 can reach 5cm closeups while N95 can't. and phonearena call N95 winner! seems like they're blind:( LG images are based on a CCD sensor, with excellent image processing, balanced edge sharpening and has lesser noise. but only disappoints in color and flash range. but we can't escape the fact that a regular CCD sensor is more advantageous than CMOS perhaps it's an APS-C type though it's not lol!.
19. felipe (unregistered) posted on 09 Jun 2007, 20:37 0 0
This "test" is paid from Nokia, the k800 performance is much better! i have one, and the macro is perfect, better than my sony s600 cyber-shot compact camera. See by your own eyes, the k800 is better than n95. this is a quality overall or a megapixel count???
20. ray (unregistered) posted on 16 Jun 2007, 22:42 0 0
Colours on the K800i is always similar to that of a pure dedicated digital camera designed by one of the leading brands in the world (Canon), but yet it fails. This is stupid. They should not get a mobile phone reviewer to review cameras -.-
21. Ajith Kumar (unregistered) posted on 20 Jul 2007, 06:34 0 0
From the comparison of photos, one can easily see that the K800i lags behind N95 only in resolution and, in some cases, with colour saturation (which is a bit too much in N95). And yes, the macro mode is another thing. But look at the blurry GIF-like areas in almost all the N95 photos! Who would prefer that for a cool K800i?
22. noname (unregistered) posted on 27 Jul 2007, 22:41 0 0
Just look at the pictures..... no way for N95 to win.
23. m003z (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2007, 11:51 0 0
This is one of the most biased reviews i've ever read! I mean wtf i am a nokia fan myself and hate SE phones but you can't argue the fact that the k800/810's camera has better overal quality than the n95's. Just by looking at the pictures, the k800 displays colors more realisticly, unlike the n95(since when were skies purple?). So what the n95 has more resolution but half of them look so blurry and jagged that it wastes the resolution. Oh btw ever try turning ON the macro mode on the k800 before making macros?
24. xtorm (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2007, 05:22 0 0
very very nice review, alot of ppl is pretty obses with k800 rite? thx for the super effort and time spend in doing all the comparison!!!
25. rick (unregistered) posted on 21 Apr 2008, 16:37 0 0
I read that review and I know the k800i has a best camera than the n95 , a lot of people can make a lot of noise about that but , that macro mode test that was the most fake review I ever seen. just to show that a pickup my k800 and take my key picture u can see here http://www.4shared.com/file/44
909387/2f03172c/DSC00030.htmldoes this pictures is like the pictures of the review , and the quality , the macro mode of k800 can fight easily 1x1 to the macro of n95 -.-
26. bloody (unregistered) posted on 20 Oct 2008, 19:56 0 0
How much did NOKIA pays you to write review like this? In almost every aspect k800 had a better pitcture quality, sharpnes and colors! And I'd like to ask you a question, witch mani user, that has posted comment, asked you already: "Did you even and turn ON macro mod on K800 when you was takeing a macro pitctures with it?" Only this I have to say to you: "THIS REVIEW IS BIG SHAME FOR YOU PHONEARENA. YOU MUST BE OR BLIND OR CORRUPTED! SHAME ON YOU FOR REVIEW LIKE THIS ONE!
27. Mihai (unregistered) posted on 12 Jan 2011, 10:58 0 0
I have N95 and N95 8Gb, i cant get pictures like yours...they have 5mp for nothing. In artifical light its worst. And even so, if you look at the pictures, you can see that N95 was no better quality than the others...My wife was a Samsung SGH U600...a cheap phone, but i cannot compare my pictures with hers...the samsung`s are more realistic...and sharper.