Camera comparison: Sony Xperia Z vs Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920
- 1 Introduction and Details
- 2 Color reproduction
- 3 Indoor
- 4 Night
- 5 Macro
- 6 Video
- 7 Interface and ease of use
- 8 Conclusion
- Sony Xperia Z specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III specifications
- Samsung GALAXY Note II specifications
- Apple iPhone 5 specifications
- Nokia Lumia 920 specifications
Well, we're sorry to say it, but the Sony Xperia Z just isn't the next top shooter on the smartphone arena, regardless of how much its Exmor RS camera is being touted. On many occasions, the quality of images taken with the high-end Galaxies or the iPhone 5 was better, despite the lower pixel count.
Don't get us wrong as the Sony Xperia Z is still a decent cameraphone. And in fact, it is a pretty good smartphone overall and whoever chooses to go with it won't be disappointed. However, we can't hide our disappointment from realizing that its camera just isn't as great as we anticipated.
Sony Xperia Z: Android 4.1.2, Build 10.1.A.1.350
Nokia Lumia 920: Windows Phone 8, Build 8.0.9903.10
Samsung Galaxy Note II: Android 4.1.1, Build JRO03C.N7100XXALIE
Samsung Galaxy S III: Android 4.1.2, Build JZO54K.I9300XXELLA
iPhone 5: iOS 6.0.2 (10A551)
1. samsunggalaxylover (Posts: 37; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
samsung phone cameras will stay the best.
35. GG_SHAH (Posts: 19; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Samsung.. Its screen is too much dim even when brightness is full
90. fahqman (Posts: 38; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
I thought we're talking about cameras here. Did you feel threatened by Samsung and felt you needed to say something right away?
117. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I feel threatened by the amount of bias in this "comparison", i wonder how much Samsung and Apple payed PhoneArena? Why is the Note 2 even here? I mean its results are almost the same as the S3, only with more noise, just use a diferent phone in the comparison no point in using 2 phones that have almost the same camera.
125. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
what bias?? let your eyes be the judge... if your eyes said the samsung or the apple has the worst quality.. then so be it.. everyone has their own opinion..
257. Emily1985 (Posts: 127; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
"The Best Smartphone Camera"
1) Nokia Lumia 920
2) iphone 5
3) BlackBerry Z10 (Sony Xperia Z performance close to bb z10)
4) Galaxy SIII
5) Nexus 4
When you do not get money from Samsung and Apple you get different results ;)
274. Trex95 (Posts: 922; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
True. even though i'm hard core fan of IOS and Android i still admit that again and again no phone including IPhone 5, Xperia Z, upcoming galaxy S4,Lumia 920, galaxy camera etc.... beat Nokia 808 Pure View camera yet. if you don't believe that just watch 1080p of 808 pure view on your pc/mac in full HD. I try out the 808 camera still the best.
275. pureviewuser (Posts: 501; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
Mind you they will catch up making nokia bring up their standards which in turn make them bring up their standards even more its a win win for all consumers who will have better products,
276. hitman (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
Your correct. Bias not even mentioned Nokia has the only one with OIS and others use only digital image stabilization as well nokia Lumia has aperture of 2.0 which is widest among the rest. Did not even include HTC one. This article is one sided. Clearly it is between Iphone Lumia and HTC one and Samsung comes on top. How come?
208. dr_fajardo12 (Posts: 118; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Don't get it, before this camera comparition iphone 5 had the better cam ( like them im not including 808), now, the iphone5 cant win against note 2, or sammy 3?. dont get it phonearena...
246. Hemlocke (unregistered)
My eyes must be screwed up, because the S3 and Note II only had one picture that appeared better (The first). Their horrible focal lengths really betray them.
252. stylinred (Posts: 50; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
I wonder if the 920 was running the portico update which fixed the soft image issues?
either way nothing will beat the 808 pureview for awhile
265. gbpost (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
agred- that's the main problem I found with my S3- screen brightness. It's there for things like photos. But for emails, reading etc it's quite subdued.
But as we're talkgin about cameras, the Z is very good. Not as consistently good as the iphone 5, or nokia 920 (in low light) but I prefer the photos from the Z to those I used to take on the S3 (and for indoor shots I prefer the Z easily over the Note 2).
37. Muzhhur (Posts: 260; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
just corean stuff, I dont think they are better than sony nor nokia
99. fahqman (Posts: 38; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
That Corean stuff rules now. Numbers don't lie.
Enjoy your 2nd tier device and have a nice day :)
229. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
48. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
Woah... something has gone really wrong with PA lately... 920 is night photography champ, S3 and Note 2 can not be beaten in day time photography, macro and details in video, and Z has best night time video...
68. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
hey! the Iphone camera isn't that bad. It certainly isn't the best, but it still is pretty decent(probably the only decent thing on that phone)
It still might be last, but it doesn't deserve to be called "ishi*t" camera-wise
just my 2 nickels
105. fahqman (Posts: 38; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
I own a note 2 and I feel like iphone 5's pic quality is just as good as Samsung's and Sony, too.
920 is pure joke. Pure'Gray'View's hype is just like what apple did & still doing with their retina BS which isn't even 720p in 2013.
247. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Look at the S3 or N2 side-by-side with the i5 and tell me how much better those 720p screens are. The iPhone 5's screen crushes them, and the tech industry agrees with that assessment.
51. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
IPhone or galaxy's best in day. Lumia 920 in low light. iPhone best overall I would say. This coming from someone who will never buy an iPhone.
64. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
1- Lumia 920
4-Sammy Big s**t2
5-Rotten Apple iCrap
And yeah try using a Nikon DSLR, Sony Alpha instead...
70. pkiran1996 (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Another anti-samsung person. What is wrong with you? The Galaxy Note 2 is arguably in the top 3 smartphones right now and you call it sh*t?
As dedicated android user (Nexus 7 and 4), I would still never call the iPhone crap. You're just anti-samsung, and I have no idea why.
79. asingha94 (Posts: 295; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
Samdogs are may be in the top 3 smartphones,but we are talking here about camera.Koreans know only adding core & adding ram. They need to born one more time to make good camera phone. So go get a life.
102. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
dude.. you can read tons of reviews on the internet.. no single reviewer ever said that the s3 or note 2 camera sucks.. they even always praise that those phones has one of the the best 8mp camera.. i knew that your ip5 camera is slightly better.. but doesn't mean the samsung's suck.. grow up boy..
195. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Dude read any review, Nokia and Sony beats all others in the camera dept....
thats why I say that I shall no more view any camera comparisions on this site, iGalaxyArena
197. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
dude my response is not for yours but for asingha94..