Camera comparison: Sony Xperia Z vs Samsung Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920
0. phoneArena 15 Feb 2013, 09:37 posted on
Ladies and gents, it is time for another camera comparison between the top smartphones in existence. And without a doubt, all eyes are on the Sony Xperia Z, which is equipped with the company's new Exmor RS camera sensor. With 13 million pixels and perks like HDR video mode, Sony's top-of-the-line handset should be a great performer, but will it manage to beat the fierce competition?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
230. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
4. harsh_doshi (Posts: 36; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
wtf..lumia clearly seems to be better in night..2 in indoor and color reproduction..video too it has the best one..i don't noe wht is happening to PA first the supplier article in a completely biased tone against nokia and now this..
10. harsh_doshi (Posts: 36; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
I mean really PA? I remember the last photo shoot without the z and the ip won with a slight margin over the lumia (pr 1.0) now that it is pr1.1 which is definitely better.. Samsung takes the cake for most situations including night and video are you kidding me pa????..really disappointed:(((
80. asingha94 (Posts: 295; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
From they past they are biased to samsung!
93. maccess (Posts: 731; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
then where the "iphonearena" name came up?? because they biased to samsung?? good logic kid..
34. GTR722 (Posts: 255; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
PhoneArena is just a Samsung site, we have to dealt with it....I came here for the good image quality of their videos...but they are just 100% biased to samsung, its a shame.
77. asingha94 (Posts: 295; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
so true buddy!you better follow gsmarena. Atleast they give a good review. PA is paid.
95. maccess (Posts: 731; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
in fact the s3 & note 2 has a well arround camera.. we know it since the s3 came out.. nothings wrong in this comparison really.. some fanboy really try to calm down themselves..
142. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I bet phonearena has set the cameras quality to lowest settings possible. They do this in iphone vs android test all the time.
237. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
look at this and ull surely shut ur mouth :D
5. schecter7 (Posts: 99; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Another joke! Where is HOX? GS3 night shots are super crap compared to HOX. I owned both of them. And Xperia T is better than both. There is no way Xperia Z will take worse pictures than Xperia T. GS3 should not even be in the comparison. How much did Samsung pay you PA ?
15. harsh_doshi (Posts: 36; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
exactly my point last time the photo shoot between these guys Samsung was completely trashed by lumia and ip..and now it magically comes in to be the best??..PA did u give those phones drugs??:p
19. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Before buying an device, always need to check as much as possible different sources to get real understanding about one or other device. And that's why I never trust photo and video samples from single source because they easily may be "corrected" by an biased reviewer!
76. urtard (banned) (Posts: 82; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
This message was brought to you by Sony shill agency.
238. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 2150; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Like a dream come true, I only posted a request for such article some 30 minutes ago.
40. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
If it was your dream, then why there is no Oppo Find 5 in this comparison? :D
8. lee480 (Posts: 196; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Fun fact: Sony made the cameras in both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3.
9. p5yb0rg (unregistered)
the software determines how the phone uses these cameras
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Camera's sensor, not whole camera.
11. jlp34876 (Posts: 80; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
does the lumia 920 used in here is running portico already?
13. alila2 (Posts: 126; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
4. iPhone , S3
by the way, i use a Samsung.
73. akki20892 (Posts: 3811; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i agree with u bro.......and get easily more likes on comment write samsung......lol
239. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
162. iushnt (Posts: 1118; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Lumia cameras are not that great.. 808 is different story..
16. Diego! (Posts: 545; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
I don't know but Galaxy Note II camera is amazing! But it's my opinion. :)
17. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
this comparison shut cut all stupid comments about super-duper quality of sony's exmor sensor
31. pwnarena (Posts: 1089; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
no, this only proves how biased the reviewer is. in some articles on this very same website, the iphone and lumia shots are winning. now, they're being thrashed by the galaxies. go figure.
41. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
get real and stop dreaming about Z but you've got a point. I remember artcicles praising Lumia's low light capabilities and Iphone's shoots.
53. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
and looking at your avatar I'm quite confident you're unable to construct any objective consensus
165. iushnt (Posts: 1118; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I have read previous comparisons where ip5 thrashed 920 in cameras.. You can search and see.. They have mentioned no where about galaxy camera being poor and now strong.. You are such a Samsung hater.. If they were really biased then galaxy would be above ip5..As for my personal experience, I have never used Sony devices so I won't comment on them and I totally agree this news and their ranking.. They are not biasing and it seems in every Samsung post you are the one who is biasing..
214. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I think you suffer from some serious eye injury...if ip5 destroys L920 in low ligh enviroment....oh well..time to get some glasses for you
20. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
I am sorry to say this Phonearena, but I am disappointed.
First of all, you take pictures using the Automatic mode? Phones such as the XPZ and the Lumia 920 can reveal their true potential using the manual mode. Not to mention that you had a Canon Powershot there.
Second of all, even if you were using the automatic mode, you should have set the Xperia Z to iAuto+ which takes pics in 12 MPs
33. freebee269 (Posts: 532; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
but if phonearena did this then it would go against what they were trying to convey here. they dont want the other phones beating a samsung phone. i own a galaxy s3 and lumia 920, and recently my sister got an lg optimus g (very nice phone btw), my lumia 920 and sisters optimus g take better pics on a consistent basis than my galaxy s3. and i like my galaxy s3. it's just the truth. but you wont get the truth when there's agenda involved.
59. Taters (Posts: 5827; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
haha The Optimus G is a superior phone to the GS3, I know because I have owned both. However, Saying that the camera on the Optimus G is better than the one on the GS3 is far far far from the truth. LOL
Go read every review where they rip into the LG camera. Oh, I forgot. According to you every reviewer would be paid off to say that the Lumia 920 sucks in the day and that the LG camera sucks period. Am I right?
187. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
copy those pictures on one laptop.. if you will view what s3 captured then the SuperAmoled will have a big effect on its quality..
23. shashi.map (Posts: 30; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
LOL!! In the previous camera shootout ,the Lumia & Ip5 were on top with Ip5 just marginally better than L920 and in low light L920 was the best, the galaxies were nowhere.........but now the galaxies are on top,even better that ip5 and the L920 is on bottom..........this shootout doesn't make any sense. PA try using the manual mode on the Xperia Z , then it might prove its worth
168. iushnt (Posts: 1118; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
The comparison you are talking is just between 920 and ip5..
240. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
24. pwnarena (Posts: 1089; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
now i don't really understand why phonearena's xz photos are dark and less detailed. in the photos from other sites, they don't turn out to be this awful.
149. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
They are probably using photshop to make it look the worst.
152. maccess (Posts: 731; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
please my friend.. you don't have to go that far..
25. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
"The Nokia Lumia 920, which is usually a decent low-light performer," JESUS CHRIST...
has anyone from PA's team re-read this article?
Even you in your review on this site admitted that 920 is the best in low light poerformance and now you're taking some crappy photos only to back up your newest verdict?
Who made those pictures? A drunken monkey?
26. serge327 (Posts: 59; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
The sample photos of Xperia Z look like taking with 2x or some x digital zoom. I can seen the Digital Zoom quality photo when see on 100% photo size... can someone confirm this???
*Sorry for bad english*
27. pwnarena (Posts: 1089; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
apparently, the person doing the test just does not know how to use the devices being reviewed.
28. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
nothing about OIS?
great comparison...keep deteriorating this site, Nick T.
30. dreeemer (Posts: 28; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
I see iphonearena stopped short of declaring a clear winner! Seemed like Sammy was going 2 take it. The obviously biased site had to lump their Apple product in over Sony.
If this was a human arena, Would the judge look@the dead bodies, & say,"well, this live guy AND the dead 1 over there fought better than the rest"? No...
Stop whimping out. Declare a winner.
32. TerryCrowley (Posts: 194; Member since: 31 Jul 2011)
The Xperia Z still sucks, just like I said it would. What a surprise.
39. freebee269 (Posts: 532; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
when it comes to comparisons, i dont look at phonearena's comparisons as legitimate at all. their first comparison of these phones minus the xperia z has a totally different conclusion than this one. what changed? did these phones have some sort of camera update that fixed things to make them leap over the other phones? i dont think so. the conclusion i get from phonearena's comparisons all the time is they are very inconsistent and the people doing the comparisons need some training in how to take camera comparisons.
56. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I gotta agree. They should learn from GSMArena.
241. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
go here, ur boasting gsmarena yet s3 outperformed XZ :D
42. papss (unregistered)
This site is ran by some of the most bias bloggers.. PA should change their name to Sammyarena... What a joke of a site
43. kaliil10 (Posts: 145; Member since: 16 May 2012)
every sentence starts with Samsung galaxy s3 and note 2. its unfair comparison