Camera comparison: Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One, Sony Xperia Z, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920 and Galaxy S III
- 1 Introduction and Overall presentation
- 2 Details
- 3 Indoors
- 4 Night photos
- 5 Video
- 6 Interface and features
- 7 Conclusion
- Samsung Galaxy S4 specifications
- Apple iPhone 5 specifications
- HTC One specifications
- Nokia Lumia 920 specifications
- Sony Xperia Z specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S III specifications
In the night shots category, we picked the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Z as our favorites for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, their photos have that same warm glow that's typical for professionally taken night images – that's what makes them more appealing than the rest. Also, there's quite a lot of detail present in the frame. The iPhone 5 performs well, but its photos aren't as rich in details and have quite a lot of digital noise. Night photos taken with the rest of the gang are okay, with a decent amount of detail and all, but lack that pleasant color tone we were expecting to see in that kind of shot.
1. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Well.. Thats a really a close call between iPhone5 and S4 and lumia 920...
I would choose S4 though...
21. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
why my brother's iPhone 5 does not have such powerful flash in low light as PA?
i feel its not somethings have been altered with iPhone 5 low light shot!
u can see the dual shadows... look close and u can see the shadow of the tree is on the wall and the shadow of the table corner is downwards...!!!
160. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Also Lumia got 5 points in night shot. Lumia - Night Shot - 5Points?
Enough said to prove that this is BS
173. gustavoace (Posts: 180; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
and for me, S3 has the best color accuracy overall.
32. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
In some area some phone's camera take great shot, in some area some phone's camera don't take great shot.......they should take photos from all kind of weather conditions.......then we can see differences.....!!! Fair enough
122. cloud_atlas1991 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
While I was browsing over the pictures I let my friends (apparently not tech geeks and photo experts) choose the best among the bunch. Funny because they were so amazed by the results of LUMIA 920, saying colors are vibrant and alive while pertaining to other photos as "boring" and "dull".
130. iushnt (Posts: 1752; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Similar happens to my amoled screen of infuse.. Its just wvga but when comparing videos and images with ip4s, my friends who are not tech geeks always prefer my phone over ip4s..they say that ip4s look dull and boring comparatively..
184. trexnkrumpets (Posts: 45; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Yeah, just looking at the jpeg details instead of expanding them you can pick out the 920 pictures fairly easily. (last shot the experia stands out for some reason lol)
48. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Props to Apple for being able to be competitive with the GS IV. There won't be an upgrade to the 5S until probably Sep or October, and yet, it is competitive with the GS IV.
All Apple needs to do is update their 2007 UI. (Sighs)
151. illiad (Posts: 128; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
All Apple needs to do is update their 2007 UI, and increase the res to 1280 x 1080, and do an AMOLED version, etc, etc....
179. sniper1087 (Posts: 514; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
no need for amoled, IPS/LCD is fine they have normal color saturation, not over saturated, super LCD 3 is where its at, anything past certain pixel density is negligible, get 400 ppi and you are set for life, your eyes cannot see any individual pixel, now if the next iphone brings a better camera with higher res, better battery life, hopefully away from this lithium ion, we need something that will last a week, new UI is needed and maybe they will offer different screen sizes. O I forgot put front facing speakers just like the HTC One.
180. Gdrye (Posts: 110; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
yes, super lcd 3 is my thing right now used to love amoled till that even super lcd 2 came along...it hurt when tim cook said "the iphone 5 has the best screen resolution out there" i was like WTF really?
138. 007akshay (Posts: 37; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
for me s4 den iphone n htc comes 2nd den followed by lumia 920 n xperia z n last but not least s3...........
165. solution2u (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Apr 2013)
Amazing !!! So I submit this review as joke of the day and I won it.
168. X55526622233 (Posts: 17; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
Why hate the plastic build of GS4? isn't it that the nokia 5210 the "God of phones". is also made of plastic. THAT CAN BLOCK BULLETS!! WHY HATE SAMSUNG FOR PLASTIC BUILD? f**king samsung haters. I am a sony fanboy, but this time, I know GS4 is better than my xperia Z or my HTC one :( though I didn't see it in personal. I've read a lot of review. and I know GS4 wins against my xperia Z T____T how I love to die.
183. trexnkrumpets (Posts: 45; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
I like how you can pickout just from the small jpegs which one belongs to. The experia did a surprisingly good job on the last shot imo.
196. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
198. kunalnanda (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 May 2013)
And that really tells the story. Why do I get the feeling the Lumia 920 photos in this review were, dare i say it, photo shopped to make them look worse?
2. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
how this translate to very average consumers: i could zoom in more without any pixelation !
no, this is not a mock or sarasm towards galaxy s4, s3's camera had always been great and i know s4 will be even better
3. brucewayne (Posts: 29; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Yet again no 808..When you want to do acamera test OBVIOUSLY you compare it with the best out there..Not also-rans..
5. baldilocks (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
But as a phone, the 808 is an also-ran. So your point is?
6. brucewayne (Posts: 29; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
This aint comparing phones..If you didnt read properly i said comparing cameras..not phones..And now also if you dont get my point then i dont blame you..The world is full of ppl like you..
36. baldilocks (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
So you can have an opinion, but no one else can? You must be a liberal Democrat.
117. osanilevich (Posts: 285; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)
I'm pretty sure the point of this comparison is to compare the cameras of phones that people will actually buy. 808 might have the best camera in the business but, unless you're a professional photographer, I doubt you'll be buying the phone anytime soon
147. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I get the point. But people should see how everything fares with the best out there. xperia user here.
106. Leo_MC (Posts: 1590; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
You mean: if you place a phone call, the operator keeps it in the waiting list untill S4's calls are made?
7. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
It's not needed to put 808 in these comparisons. Everyone knows already that it has easily the best camera out there. They want to compare these cameras that are more close to each other.
71. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Use My Nokia N8, still can beat those all phones from 2012 and 2013.