Camera comparison: Samsung Galaxy S4 vs HTC One, Sony Xperia Z, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920 and Galaxy S III
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2013, 09:14 posted on
Since the Samsung Galaxy S4 finally landed at our office several weeks ago, we've been having quite a lot of fun with it. First we gave it a full-blown review treatment and then we compared it to some of the smartphones it will be going toe to toe against. Yet we haven't taken an in-depth look at its camera capabilities, so that's what we'll be doing right now...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
190. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
is it still better than gs4?? if yes, its really amazing, its like 3 years old now, n8 is only beaten by 808 and upcoming eos
166. cristianer (Posts: 42; Member since: 20 Aug 2010)
I agree, I used a SGSIII and changed back again to N8 because of its camera.
131. iushnt (Posts: 1753; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Easy answer.. They are comparing flagship devices..
148. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Better answer. They're comparing cameras.
132. illiad (Posts: 128; Member since: 07 Feb 2012)
no, you compare like for like! .. would you compare a porche or rolls royce to a mini metro or 'smart car'????
you will have to wait for the 40Meg comparative camera test....
4. MrKoles (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Galaxy S4 is a decent phone with one of the best camera till today!
86. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Funny to see how "phone arena is full Samsung fans" here.
A pretty subjective comment and a quite obvious fact and has received 10 thumbs down vs 12 thumbs up (at this time).
Fans or haters? Lol, at the blind contest, a hater showed his shame of picking iPhone by blaming "Samsung fan did choose iPhone" in the first comment while many many comments in the blind test choose #4 as Lumia or One.
100. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
those are fans of other brands wo were totally brainwashed..
oops for the succeeding replies, i/we am/are not brainwashed by samsung. wer just telling our opinion and the truth about the results of review
127. rsiders (Posts: 949; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
Seriously, you need to know what you're doing with the Lumia 920's camera. With the Pro Shot app which greatly gives you control over your photos. See for yourself...http://forums.wpcentral.com/at
8. Kakooli98 (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
Samsung uses the exmor RS found in the xperia z but sony's compression is ruining the camera experience. Sony can be the best in terms of camera.
94. vincelongman (Posts: 4531; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
If I think Sony makes the sensors for the Xperia Z, S4, SIII and iPhone 5, and the Z sensor is newer than than the SIII and iPhone 5. But the iPhone 5 and SIII takes better photos than the Z because the Z has poorer software.
102. Kakooli98 (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
Even the s4 uses the exmor RS. Samsung's software is better. I wish sony would use their g lens or even a carl zeiss one for better image quality.
154. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
What kills the Z's quality is compression. The Z shots look much better when you have compression off (uyou need 3rd party stuff to turn it off)
185. mistahmo (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Hey, what kinda 3rd party software would I use to turn off the compression?
11. p211093 (Posts: 25; Member since: 12 Dec 2012)
gays just see the pic of lumia 920.and see the details.and see s4 detail.920 is best of all.phonearena r just samsung fanboy.r i am right
60. magnanimus (Posts: 542; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
this test is completely bias-free. I hate it when some people cant just accept defeat. The over-saturation is perfectly obvious
98. AeroPrime (Posts: 175; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Absolutely! haters are haters.... no matter how it is.... they still deny it.... Lumia 920 is best camera smartphone to beat
13. skill08 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
Clearly 920 is the best of all, it tooks a close up pic and blurs the background and pic. Quality is fascinating.. I just love it..
going to purchase 1 now..
15. p211093 (Posts: 25; Member since: 12 Dec 2012)
buy it.ialso have read nl 920.and the video quality chumesware
17. Diego! (Posts: 629; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
The camera on the Samsung Galaxy S 4 is really amazing!!!
197. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
18. joeymk (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
I prefer Lumia, but what ever you pick from this phones you will be very very happy with the results
20. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
So the Lumia 920 underexposes, but is still pretty good.
The HTC One overexposes, meh.
The S4 and iPhone5 are pretty close to each other.
22. Feanor (Posts: 727; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
So, the final score states clearly that the Sony sensors are the best as all three top cameraphones use either the new Exmor RS (Z, S4) or last generation Exmor R (iPhone). At Sony they ruin their flagship because of poor post-processing but they seem to be just an update away from the top.
155. cheetah2k (limited) (Posts: 1586; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
I wonder what firmware iPA are using on the Sony Z. If its the old 350 firmware then I would expect it to be as bad as they suggest, but not on the 434.
The latest 434 fixes a few things and I do not experience any purple tinting or anything else that they experienced here. I find it an excellent cam, with an exceptional burst mode and auto focus.
24. Penny (Posts: 1653; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
What white balance setting are you guys using on the Lumia 920? I heard that by default it is on "fluorescent" white balance, so that might be what is giving you guys saturation/coloration problems with your shots. Otherwise, it looks like the detail is still there. I was also reading online somewhere that tweaking the settings on the HTC One can give you much less faded looking results. They are very capable cameras if used correctly.