Camera comparison: Samsung Galaxy S III vs the fierce competition
0. phoneArena 31 May 2012, 09:47 posted on
How about a quick camera comparison, eh?! The phones that we've chosen to include in this sweet little competition (besides the S III) are the Galaxy S II, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Note, Xperia S and Galaxy Nexus. Additionally, we're also throwing in samples made with the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS for reference. Alright, let's get going!...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4314; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
The Samsung Galaxy S III has a very nice & capable camera. So far the Samsung Galaxy S III is the best phone in the world. It makes me wonder what the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will be like. A-15 dual-core anyone, or maybe a 1.5 to 1.8GHz quad-core A-9 Exynos with 2GB of RAM? Think of the possibilities! lol
9. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"At the end of the day, your personal taste for photos will also play a role in determining which handset you like most."
So, according to Ray S. photos can be a totally crap, but if you like handset which takes thous photos, then photos are ok...
I thought that it should be a technical comparison, but seems I was wrong and it is spiritual comparison...
And after that, like as usually in other sentence he starts to talk about iPhone...
14. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4314; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
lol Poor Ray S. The man can't ever get a break! lol
15. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
He is getting money for writing articles, so this is his job, there is no time for a break. :D
34. shayan (Posts: 148; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
it IS a spritual comparison.
you could say natural colors are better, but some might like pictures from xperia S. it is a matter of taste. like screen. though I know the colors on my G note is no where near what should relly be, I cant stop looking at my backgrounds!
61. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 863; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
This is why I leave photo comparisons to sites like GSM Arena who have people that know what they're talking about and go into more detail regarding the results of photos. They may choose the 4S as the better camera but you understand why at the end.
104. vasboz (Posts: 6; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Not just that.... unless you're using a TRIPOD and actually positioning each device so that its photo is capturing the same frame there is no point.
Timing is also crucial as time of day really affects outdoor shots so it is much preferred an indoor scene is shot where you can control certain elements of nature.
67. Crossblade (Posts: 190; Member since: 21 Apr 2005)
@PhoneArenaUser, maybe you should have read the whole article and not only the conclusion. Also, there are the ORIGINAL photos so you can judge on your own.
75. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"@PhoneArenaUser, maybe you should have read the whole article and not only the conclusion."
Yes, I have.
But what is the purpose of making technical comparison if conclusion is some kind of spiritual philosophy?
Also remember that not all people read whole article and Ray S. knows that and that's why he makes biased conclusion (mine opinion).
"Also, there are the ORIGINAL photos so you can judge on your own."
In mine opinion (and I'm sure not only mine) Ray S. is biased writer so I don't trust those MAYBE 'ORIGINAL' photos...
81. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
Gotta love these people who just want to hear everything great about android. Which sucks but every just loves to follow the us or them conclusion.
82. ghost__uwi (Posts: 175; Member since: 28 Nov 2011)
Another crappy thing is that anytime you mention any support for iPhone. Fandroids who are obviously just as blind start venting about how much crap apple is. The minute phone arena says an android product is good Fandroids go into celebration mode.
They say they are different from apple fan boys but they are sadly just as blinded to the android product.
84. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
About what are you talking, I'm not Android fan...
91. mrochester (unregistered)
This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true.
105. vasboz (Posts: 6; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Ha ha ha... Ghost you need to educate yourself.
I have had an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 (all work provided handsets) and had my own personal handsets alongside it namely Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy S1, Motorola Atrix and now a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I use for both work and personal.
Until the S3, Android still had some polish to be desired for overall experience as far as smoothness is concerned.
With the SGS3 Samsung smashed what Apple held for so long.
The extroardinary power and flexibility of ICS (Soon Jelly Bean) coupled with a device Apple could only dream of releasing makes the SGS3 the king of the hill.
I am not an "Android brainwashed" person... It's just if you have what we call a "higher IQ" you will go for an Android SOONER or LATER. Plain and simple.
If you like your overly draconian and limiting iOS then enjoy your simple life. Each to their own.
16. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
The galaxy note 2 will be awesome.
I hope they go with the A15 processor.
20. Leo_MC (Posts: 570; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
How do you know?!
Maybe it will be a piece of junk, maybe it won't have a camera, maybe it won't even be at all!
How on earth do you know how it's going to be?!
24. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4314; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
The Samsung Galaxy Note is a HUGE success for Samsung. They would be CRAZY not to improve & take that 5.3" tablet/phone hybrid to the next level.
I know what you are saying but Samsung has a long history of taking things that sell & making them EVEN better.
It's pretty much a full blown conclusion that there will be a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
33. Leo_MC (Posts: 570; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Take Nokia N95 - a great phone; N95-8Gb - still great; N96 - a piece of s**t, although it had better specifications.
44. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4314; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yeah I get you, but Samsung would not make a piece of sh*t. Look at the evolution of the Galaxy line, each version is better than the last so if the trend sticks, here is what it will look like:
1. Galaxy S
2. Galaxy S II
3. Galaxy Note
4. Galaxy S III
5. Galaxy Note 2 (BEST)
Again this is if history repeats itself that is. I really don’t think Samsung will try to emulate Nokia in the way you just presented them.
56. ph00ny (Posts: 606; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Galaxy S line up and Galaxy Note is actually a separate product line up
GT-i vs GT-N
87. sampie2611 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
You just forget the Galaxy Apollo which was before the Galaxy S, and you forget the S plus.
But the phones are getting better, but still holding the same bugs
63. preetmalhotra (Posts: 78; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
those who disliked this comment, were using feature phones at the moments like Monte..and therefore they think android is the best OS ever..
I challenge, N95 can still tackle most of the camera phones in daylight and macro..!!
50. Walter.D.DROID (Posts: 25; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Not that i don't want a Galaxy Note 2, but as of yet no supposed "GT-N9000" leaks or rummors nor announcements, though it would be nice to see it at next IFA :o but since GS III got a personal event, i think the supposed Note II will be the same! btw, getting my GS III at the end of june +.+
25. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I know because a little bird told me(yes, I can talk to animals).
26. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4314; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
lol Did you ever see a movie called Beast Master! He talks to animals. It's a cheesy movie I saw back in high school. What you said totally reminded me of it. lol
28. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Ha!, no I haven't, but I've seen Dr. Dolittle ;)
I like cheesy movies :p so i'll check it out.
49. SleepingOz (unregistered)
haha I remember that!
27. Obviously (Posts: 29; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Too bad it's also the Ugliest phone in the world...
55. Obviously (Posts: 29; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
HAHA everyone knows this phone is ugly. There is nothing slick about it. I don't care how much next generation hardware they put into it... Pebble Blue?! This is not the futuristic look everyone was hoping for. Motorola is going in the right direction.
62. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
all i can say is that when you talk about HW specifications, then go to samsung. They are the best when it comes to HW specifications. No wonder on that one. But that doesn't mean that if your phone have a lower specification, means your phone sucks. It all depends on how the phone's OS and the HW specification works together. You can't say how awesome or even how best a phone just because of it's clockspeed and RAM. You can't proclaim S3 as the best phone because it outmatches it's rivals as of now when it comes to specs. In this review, I was surprised on how Xperia S performed. It's good, no joke.
89. Krips (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
North or south,,,,East or West... Samsung Galaxy note is the best.
35. ffaarrooqq (Posts: 64; Member since: 26 May 2011)
yes you are right.
Htc One X and Nokia 808 is missing.
45. Red-Pain (Posts: 33; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
nokia 808 isnt even out yet 0.0
but what is really missing here is the nokia n8
where's it in this comparsion ?
it's either that they consider the n8 camera the best amoung the competitors or it's that it's too bad to even be here, which i highly doubt, since the n8 was prove to be one of the best - if not the best - cameras out there
4. christianqwerty (Posts: 460; Member since: 05 May 2011)
I was surprised by the Xperia.
My top 3 would have to be
5. dickwyn (Posts: 601; Member since: 07 May 2012)
iphone has better color reproduction with more vivid colors
42. ph00ny (Posts: 606; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That's like saying beats audio headphone are better because it provides booming bass
6. dickwyn (Posts: 601; Member since: 07 May 2012)
test it against the 808 pureview and see who wins
8. QinEmpire (Posts: 145; Member since: 16 May 2012)
They don't dare lol, or everyone here will get blown away.
11. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In Ray S. review iPhone will win against Nokia 808 PureView!
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5490; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In Ray S. review even DSLR against iPhone will look like a shi...
10. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Where is Nokia N8?!!! N8 would have shown all of them who the ruler is!! And I'm not even talking about Nokia 808 PureView!!!
12. mobilefuture (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
what about the N8??? that is still one of THE best camera phones around!!! it came first in most categories in the previous comparison!!!!!
18. bucky (Posts: 1557; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Problem with the n8 and 808 is nobody really has one.
19. mobilefuture (Posts: 206; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
phonearena has the N8 so why dont they compare it? and yes MANY people outside the US have an N8. im not one of them unfortunately
17. bucky (Posts: 1557; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Iv actually been slightly unimpressed with the iPhone camera ( coming from an sgs2). It looks great on the actual phone but looks terrible on the computer for some reason. If the camera on the sgs3 is Better than the sgs2, I'm going to be happy.
41. ph00ny (Posts: 606; Member since: 26 May 2011)
SGS3 uses a different sensor than SGS2
iirc, HOX uses the same sensor found in SGS2
21. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
even a couple of years after, n8 will still beat this smartphones.
22. zeropants (Posts: 24; Member since: 31 May 2012)
There's a Windows Phone device, the Titan 2, with a 16 Megapixel camera. How is that not included in this article?
23. skymitch89 (Posts: 1094; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
How close is the macro pic to the object? I'm fairly sure the I can get close to, if not better than, the macro pics with my Evo Shift. I can get as close as about 1in away and take great focused pics.