Camera comparison: One X vs Galaxy S II vs Nexus vs N8 vs iPhone 4S
0. phoneArena 10 Apr 2012, 04:14 posted on
Since we now have the One X in our hands and have been using it for a while, we decided to put his new camera to the test. Winning this comparison, though, won't be easy, as we've chosen some of the best camera phones out there to be its competition: the Samsung Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Nokia N8 and Apple iPhone 4S. Let the games begin!...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. FoneAddict (Posts: 257; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Quality of Nokia N8 images still can't be beaten by the others in this test.
95. jsjakesaid (Posts: 12; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
True, but as the review is by RAY S, it sucks, he clearly has something against the one x, it is clearly one of the best cameras here, and he doesnt acknowledge it, but ranks it last, go kill yourself ray s... you suck!
100. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
I actually have to agree with Ray S. With the samples shown, the One X really is the bottom performer overall. What I was wondering was why the Xperia S wasn't included in the comparison? I'm betting it would end up 2nd or 3rd. Hard to admit but no matter how I look at it 1st overall would be my toothy fruity enemy.
158. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
Well technically Sony still kinda entered. The 4S and GSII both have a Sony camera
105. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 866; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Clearly has one of the best cameras here? Looks to me like it doesn't at all. It has some cool technology behind it, but the results from the above images tell a different story. Wait until the guys at GSM Arena do a review and then you'll really have your answer about the quality of One X photos.
106. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Yeah, I love the GSMarena reviews. My only problem with it is they release it too late!!!! :p
130. CléonLeGrand (Posts: 3; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
Make good and fair review needs more time !
162. theNewDanger (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
It's up! http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_on
Picture and video from the One X "officially" suck!
25. bbblader (Posts: 588; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
what I really want to see is a Nokia N8 vs Nokia 808 PW
that would be worth it
this is obvious that the N8 would win in this comparison
92. christianqwerty (Posts: 467; Member since: 05 May 2011)
The Nokia has an amazing camera, definitely the best, I think most people don't like the iPhone so immediately they disregard it's camera. But I think the iPhone is in 2nd place, the HTC in third place, the galaxy s2, then the nexus. They all have great cameras
169. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
no s**t even 2 years later just goes to show how behind the others really are!!!!!
3. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
how can the galaxy nexus place last on ease and speed?
Its like the easiest and quickest method possible! I owned the S2 and Nexus and although the s2 took better pics the nexus is quicker and easier!
4. hungcolin (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
After reading HTC ONE X review of Ray, I think Ray really have prejudice with this device.
35. jhan410 (Posts: 13; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
n8 is still camera king but haha who still believes Ray S?,,
all of these photos were handpicked by him, took the worst photos of one x just to justify his mistakes,,,, how can a fanboy even have a job at phonearena? lol
if you want "professional" reviews of the cam here:
if you want a "Non-RayS-sortfanboy-professional-notpaid-by-apple" review here;
http://www.swedroid.se/htc-one-x-recension - google translate
97. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
Wow so that's what a real review looks like
116. jhan410 (Posts: 13; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
broken link,,,just google "recombu htc one x camera comparison"
the Swedroid one x review shows the real camera capability of one x that was not handpicked and edited by RayS :))
121. odevoted (Posts: 2; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
Have not translated any of it yet, but JESUS is this a FULL review or what.....tempted to start learning Swedish and start following that site......
126. Commentator (Posts: 3643; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
The Recombu review is done by Basil Kronfli, AKA the erstwhile "Basil from PhoneArena." It's funny how two different reviewers can come to COMPLETELY different conclusions.
37. jhan410 (Posts: 13; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
any hottest android in competition w/ his "4-year-old-ui-ipodtouch-with-a phone 4S" will be downplayed by ray s. :))
63. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Wish he would have thrown in Sony Experia S too :(
77. romeo1 (Posts: 696; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
the xperia s camera is the best of all the phone cameras that are available at the moment ;-)
5. jubbing (Posts: 150; Member since: 20 Aug 2008)
Why isn't the N8 even mentioned ONCE in the summary? I know it's old and you won't recommend it overall, since the UI is terrible but for a camera it's amazng 2 years on.
6. shadez10 (Posts: 425; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
its because they love to mention more about the iphone...
117. shandesilva (Posts: 79; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
when i saw the topic, i was sure the ipohne would be the winner..this time i m surprised. dumb as they are, they too realised they couldnt rate iphone as the winner...so there is no winner..!
7. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
Htc One X
Samsung Galaxy SII
Samsung Galaxy nexus
In that order......
23. bucky (Posts: 2429; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
You have to be a true fanboy to put the gnex above the iphone 4s. Give credit where credit is due-the iphone has a great camera.
40. sudhar131998 (Posts: 63; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
Yes I agree with you but people don't know that if you have a perfect water drop on iphone's camera it would be the best in macro shots
102. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Yeah. I'm a die-hard FanDroid, but even I know that the Gnex's camera isn't on par with the One X, SGSII, and iPhone 4S.
48. frydaexiii (Posts: 1425; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Honestly, the photos only look good on the iPhone's screen. Me and my friends took a few pictures when we went to the amusement park and we settled that he'll take the pictures with his iPhone instead of my SGS2 because they look better. When I got home and imported my photos and he imported his into the computer, I can tell the quality difference isn't that great (close to no difference).
78. romeo1 (Posts: 696; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
wich iphone did he had?
cause the 4s outperforms the s2 cause of its sensor from the arc(wich also outperforms the s2)
136. frydaexiii (Posts: 1425; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
A 4S, and just because Apple claims they stuffed an extra lens in there and said it's better, doesn't mean it actually is. It's a mind over body thing, just like how people believe the screen on the iPad 2 was clearer just because they were told it's the new iPad with a retina display. Like I said there was close to no difference, only perhaps his pictures taken in the dark were a little less grainy, but everything else, almost the same.
155. romeo1 (Posts: 696; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
A iphone 4s makes almost in every scene a better picture than the s2.
But the arc makes them better even tough the 4s have the same sensor and a lens of glass.
Its just some software tweaks that make the arc better.
And yes it is almost the same but it still a bit better
98. bucky (Posts: 2429; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I actually prefer my sgs2 camera to the iphone 4s camera for some reason. The iPhone pictures seem somewhat faded but night shots are great
8. Leo_MC (Posts: 885; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
There are 2 images taken in a professional studio with 2 of the phones used in this comparison (4S and N8):
Everyone can see 4S is no match for N8 level of detail, quality, natural colors.
If the purpose of this article was to mock HTC's camera, it's very well written; if an alterior purpose was to say 4S is the best choice of phone camera (as the conclusion states), everyone with eyes can see it's not the case as N8 is clearly way better.
127. Leo_MC (Posts: 885; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Sory about that, PA changed the links.
Search Google for "4s vs n8 vs sgsii" and go to first result.
9. Erithum (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
I can't decide which is the best ... One X, S2, Nexus, N8 or 4S . i think One X is the worse.
11. Cyan3boN (Posts: 444; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
could the one x used for this review be having a faulty camera, I read a couple of other reviews and they all praise the one x camera.
13. santaclaus (Posts: 52; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
even a 2 years old N8 can beat the 2011/2012 products, i can imagine how the 808 pureview will beat the s**t out of SGS3, iphone 5 or whatever in terms of imaging
22. sorcio46 (Posts: 434; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
With pureview you will have an amazing camera, but for a middlerange smartphone... SGS3 and iPhone 5 will beat that device in evething else
79. romeo1 (Posts: 696; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
the xperia s is better than the n8 ;-)
but i think you could be right about the pureview
109. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
154. romeo1 (Posts: 696; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
How reliable is a allaboutsymbian website?
And if you get your info from websites only you should've found the test where they compare them and the sony wins most of them
138. SleepingOz (unregistered)
14. erenbir (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
I dont understand why Phonearena ignore sony xperia s in the one x comparisons.
in my opinion with 12 mp camera and 342ppi screen it should have got a place in both camera and screen comparison tests...
70. bbblader (Posts: 588; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
about the screen I agree but MP don't matter just look how the Titan II does with its 16MP camera
even the iPhone 4S can beat it in my opinion
and mostly I am more of a sammy-nokia fan
I truly don't like apple but the 4S camera is a very good camera
141. erenbir (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
As i know iphone 4s using sony's lens which is same with arc s, older than xperia s,
and again in my opinion xperia s could be a competitor for this comparison.
also pureview could be the great competitor too...
81. romeo1 (Posts: 696; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
It isn't one of the phones they like cause at the moment the xperia s has the best camera and the best screen. you can check some on youtube if im correct or just go to the store and you'll notice about the screen being better then the amoleds or retina.
There is one problem with the xperia s gallery the pictures can't zoom correct but on the pc its really good
15. keron (Posts: 11; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
again ray s & again one x in last position........i think either they have a faulty item or this guy doesn't like htc......
17. geoffers247 (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
I think Ray's just loves his iphone too much.
16. geoffers247 (Posts: 19; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Why didn't Ray mention anything about the HTC 2.0 aperture. Most people who read this review probably don't know what that means (respect for those who do) but I believe that is one of the most important features of the camera.... What an aperture of 2.0 does is give you the effect where the object you focus on is sharp & everything in the foreground or back ground in nice and soft.
More to the point, if you took a photo of a landscape with an aperture of 2.0, the detail is going to be very soft or low.
Another point, old mate Ray forgot to mention continuous shooting with the ONE X while shooting videos, Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of the other camera's can do that...
Ray.S who is this guy...
18. LahiruRD (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Mar 2012)
Galaxy Nexus can also take picture while recording videos :) (I have a GN at home & I tested it my self) SO every phone to feature ICS will be able to take pictures while recording. It's a new feature of ICS.
19. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I think the guys at phonearena got a faulty one x model... Almost every other review that I read for it, it was praised as being one of the best android phones, but here it's terrible according to the reviewers. Either that, or they're just biased