Camera comparison: LG G3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 5s, LG G2, Sony Xperia Z2, HTC One (M8)
- 1 Introduction and Colors
- 2 Details
- 3 Indoor
- 4 Panorama and HDR
- 5 Night
- 6 Video
- 7 Conclusion
- LG G3 specifications
- Samsung Galaxy S5 specifications
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 specifications
- Apple iPhone 5s specifications
- LG G2 specifications
- Sony Xperia Z2 specifications
- HTC One (M8) specifications
We bring good news, ladies and gents. The LG G3 can be an excellent shooter even at night, taking images with good detail and properly-balanced colors. We must note that we experienced focusing issues on two occasions, but overall, the great majority of its night-time photos turned out splendid.
Not far behind are the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 5s. The latter manages to strike a good balance between details and digital noise, all the while capturing colors very accurately. Night photos from the S5 are about as detailed despite the higher resolution of the sensor. Color accuracy is also very good. Overall, the iPhone 5s and the Galaxy S5 perform equally well when shooting night scenes.
The LG G2 and the Sony Xperia Z2 can also capture decent photos at night, but some irregularities become apparent. We noticed that the G2 has a hard time locking the focus in some scenes, and even when the shot is in focus, it might turn out too soft for our liking. The Sony Xperia Z2 tends to mess up the color balance from time to time, adding an unwanted greenish tone to the image. Lastly, the HTC One (M8) takes mediocre night photos. They are okay, of course, but bright objects in them appear as blobs of white light. Noise is also present.
2. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
And why the he** are the Z2 images taken in 8 mpx AGAIN...?! And not even superior auto...
9. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I don't think so because they test the HDR mode and so, which are not available in superior (though it uses them automatically). But even if they are taken in superior auto, why would they use the 4:3? 16:9 is default in superior auto and actually has a slightly higher resolution.
168. Nick_T (Posts: 158; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The sensor's native aspect ratio is 4:3 - that's why we used it instead of 16:9. Using 16:9 for photos makes little sense as that crops away 30% of the sensor's effective area.
54. drazwy (Posts: 172; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
Because the 20MP images from Sony are awful. The 8MP images are by far better.
58. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Oh my god you have no idea what you're talking about... Yes if you take the images in superior auto mode, the images are sharper and especially in low light a lot brighter and have more colours. But still clearly less details.
But those images aren't even in Superior Auto mode. They are in Manual. The difference in the amount of detail in 20 and 8 mpx images is HUUGE. Seriously HUUGE. Noise, colours etc. are the same as long as shot in Manual.
60. maherk (Posts: 2353; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
If you own the Z2 like you claim you would've known that it takes horrible 20 mp pictures. Almost every other review out there complained about it and ended up using the superior mode in their camera test. Stop whining for God's sakes, and go watch some Erica Griffin's Z2 videos, that will probably change your mood.
67. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I can upload some sample images to google + if you want to see. The 20mpx images are better in good lighting conditions. In low light and macro I use Superior. Maybe I will. Her videos are so well made and honest
85. maherk (Posts: 2353; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I am not saying she isn't honest, but she isn't as professional as you make her look. Just because her reviews goes along with what you want doesn't make her a reliable source. I ve seen you praise phonearena when a Sony handset wins a poll/review, and attack them when they lose.
116. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
You have? If I recall correctly, I have never praised PA for reviews or other comparisons. Yes, if Sony wins a comparison then I might say something like "Way to go Sony you're the best", but I never praise PA's review methods. Good example is the Z2 review. It kinda sucks. I'm just happy that they at least gave it a good score.
And about Erica, she says so many bad things about Sony phones too. Especially the ones before Z2, and in the Z2 she really hates the cameras focus in video for example. She doesn't praise Sony. She praises everything. And so she also bashes everything. About the same amount. I enjoy watching all of her reviews. And the fact that she isn't a professional doesn't exactly mean much. I bet that PA for example doesn't have any more "pro tools" than Erica or Supercurio would have.
118. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9801; Member since: 14 May 2012)
So what I got from your comment: if Sony "wins" it's ok, but if they don't, you complain to PA that they're wrong.
And you say you're not a fanboy? Haha yeah okay buddy.
120. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
No I gave the wrong idea it seems. If Sony wins I'm happy and praise Sony's efforts. If Sony loses, I check out the test more carefully and then decide what to do. This time I just went for complaining because they didn't use 20 mpx. Simple as that.
122. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9801; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Aaannnnndddddd? If you don't like it, express your comment once or go to another site. Simple as that. You coming back every five minutes feeding PA money because of the ads and saying the same thing over again isn't going to get your point across.
Just wanted to let you know in case you didn't.
131. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Aaannnnndddddd I use adblock btw so they ain't getting any money that way fom me. (Not using adblock because I wouldn't want to give them money, I just hate ads)
135. TMach (Posts: 422; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Plus this review ignores that the Z2's latest software version is 17.1.1.A.0.402. This software update, as is usual with Sony addresses all the camera software issues. A comparison against a p[hone with the latest software is credible this isn't given once owner's have updated their software to the latest version, the earlier software is irrelevant and defunct. This does mean any comparison with previous software has no merit or credibility.
173. Nick_T (Posts: 158; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The comparison was already complete when our unit got the update.
87. pwnarena (Posts: 1039; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
as their charts show, superior auto definitely performs better. their photos are not in the 16:9 aspect ratio so it's unlikely to be using superior auto mode.
117. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
In good lighting Superior isn't better. The colours are same. Everything is same. Except details, which are a lot better in 20 mpx. Superior is still sharper, though you can change that with after editing.
166. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Yeah I wonder if they took them in Superior auto. I'm not a Sony fanboy by a long shot, but PA leaving out details like that is why I will never take their "comparisons" as a truly accurate representation.
167. Nick_T (Posts: 158; Member since: 27 May 2011)
They are taken in superior auto mode, which is the camera's default mode. We used manual mode only for the HDR photo samples so that we could force the camera to take an HDR photo.
169. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Ok. But why are they taken in 4:3 then? 16:9 has a slightly higher resolution in the superior auto mode.
EDIT: I read your comment above,
182. mistertimi (Posts: 77; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Cheers. You might want to put that in the article next time..
170. Maryewww (Posts: 30; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
In their last camera comparison, S5 and Z2 scored exactly the freaking same... PA dudes are high on information
6. Chuck.Norrisson (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Any review or test without the Nokia Lumia Phones is not worth reading in respect of "camera comparison" - period.
7. alexvv (Posts: 134; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
why are you taking the night category out? this is where these phones should really be put in a test. in daylight you don't need an s5 to capture a good photo, it's in the dark that a good cameraphone shines... and well over 1/3 photos are taken at night because this is when people go out, have a drink, eat etc...!
10. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Agree... Night shots are one of the most important ones.
61. maherk (Posts: 2353; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Yeah because most of our pictures are taken in low light situations right? For once, just once, leave your fanboyism aside and accept the results for once without all this nagging.
70. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Sorry, but I can't. This is not fanboyism. This is just simply unfair. Why wouldn't they use the full capabilities of the phones?
Night shots have a huge meaning. Many places look more beautiful during the night or sunset/rise when there's still much less light. Many people go out with friends in the evening when it's already dark. And not to mention that in northern parts of Earth (like Finland where I'm from) it becomes dark already at 4 o'clock pm in the winter. In northern Finland it's dark all the time during the winter.
136. TMach (Posts: 422; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I concur, also I don't know a single person who takes panoramic pictures! I certainly don't and can't see myself doing so anytime soon........*Sigh...!
137. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Neither do I know anybody. I take them sometimes (like once/twice a year). They are definitely nice in mountain ranges and such places, but isn't used really that much.
18. gaara6775 (Posts: 733; Member since: 20 May 2014)
I'm with you. Every single phone is capable Of taking good photos in daylight. Its the lowlight condition which is challenging. PA don't understand that. In daylight their software don't need much rendering its in the lowlight when they have to capture more light n try to produce decent photos.
Just do a damn lowlight photos comparison PA.
158. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Because PA will remember they left out the low-light Lumias
11. mokhtar (Posts: 389; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Hhhhhhhhhhhh.. I will quite this site forever now, pocketnow and androidauthority, gsmarena are more trusted.. U know what i mean.. 700 posts of samsung and now this s**** comparaisons.. What a shame
28. maccess (Posts: 715; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Oh you don't say it again!! Just get lost forever!!
14. ChildInTime (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
DxOMark thinks different, but what do they know about cameras.
20. tiara6918 (Posts: 1916; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
PA, why not include selfie shots in comparisons since lots of people use the front facing camera nowadays
22. VLaRueC (Posts: 156; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
I'm glad someone else said it but PA ignoring the true camera is just lazy. The article even opens up with mentioning they are nerds. Pretty sure a nerd knows about Pure view...
43. medtxa (Posts: 725; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
because sony 20mp just suck they use 8mp superior mode instead.
74. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3503; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah only that those images are taken in manual mode...
89. pwnarena (Posts: 1039; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
that's not superior auto. superior auto has a 16:9 aspect ratio and uses pixel binning to come up with sharper shots.
don't make it appear that they're doing the z2 a favor because they're not. it's even a clear disfavor.
34. kkmkk (Posts: 236; Member since: 06 May 2013)
is the note 3 still a good buy ??
im planing on buy it next month
109. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
note 3 in a king and still the best thing around til note 4 is out
38. Ghost04 (Posts: 137; Member since: 03 May 2014)
The Lumia's are not included because they have great cameras but no one uses them .
So they avoided unpopular phone brands . If you don't believe me you can check the market share .
And second most interesting thing is that in some comparison S5 gets 8 in other it gets 8.5 and Z2 get 8.2 and in some 7.8 .
Why the result of the same test defer so much in every comparison by the some phones ?
39. Deaconclgi (Posts: 395; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
That is your opinion. This is a smartphone camera comparison, not a sales or market share/popularity comparison.
47. jellmoo (Posts: 849; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
What? As opposed to the 42 Xperia Z2's that Sony sold?
40. Deaconclgi (Posts: 395; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Lumia 1020 vs Galaxy K
171. elitewolverine (Posts: 3353; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
crazy that in only 1 shot, the clock tower, is where the K outdid the 1020, in all other shots, especially the dark no flash shot, the 1020 came out the victor in my eyes. Or at least on par without having a physical adjustable lens.
50. Donzzy (Posts: 12; Member since: 12 Jun 2014)
Considering the Note 3 will be turning almost a year old already, it still stays one of the top.
56. kkmkk (Posts: 236; Member since: 06 May 2013)
im coming from the original note so i think the note 3 is the best until note 4 will come
110. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
1000+ my thoughts exactly. dont bash me i am a nokia fan but its the truth that note is better than anything else
53. Daytonadave17 (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Oct 2013)
NOKIA????? LAME TEST COMPARISON AGAIN!! UNLOCKED Nokia Lumia 1520 HERE!