Camera comparison: LG G3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 5s, LG G2, Sony Xperia Z2, HTC One (M8)
0. phoneArena 16 Jun 2014, 07:44 posted on
It is our duty to put the LG G3's camera to the test – to see how well it performs against other popular high-end models. And for this camera comparison, we've lined up the usual suspects: the Samsung Galaxy S5, the Galaxy Note 3, the iPhone 5s, the LG G2, the Sony Xperia Z2, and the HTC One (M8)...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
57. vishalaestro (Posts: 63; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
i wish samsung could have used the xperia z2's sensor so that they could have got some amazing results since their image processing is spot on.
59. Ibraheem277 (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
If they Included the IPhone 5S Then they should include other smartphones also.
63. brucewayne (Posts: 29; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Is it a conscious effort by PA to avoid Nokia phones? Not necessarily 808 or 1020.Just in general avoiding Nokia phones..We all know that any Nokia phone will beat atleast a couple of the phones in this test.Then why is it avoided? For the past couple of months, PA has been harping on s5. Doesnt anybody notice it? All tests are proving the s5 to be on top.Still PA goes on conducting similar tests.I really love gsmarena and the verge.Much better than this.
165. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Its either they hate Nokia or just don't want it to humiliate the others. Like the last blind test the 1020 was in it blew the others out of the water!
64. ıtalıan (unregistered)
ı thınk g3 is the best
66. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3648; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Haters can hate and whine about the design. Yet Galaxy S5 FTW. Samsung is not simply the best and top mobile OEM.
83. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1546; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
"Haters can hate and whine about the design."
Which is what you have done about the S5.
106. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3648; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Did I? Probably when the s5 was announced... But when i used it for a few days i liked... Agreed its not that good looking compared to others, but its certainly not ugly or cheap as haters call it.
111. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3648; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Also many others including sammy fanboys said it was ugly until they saw it in real. Hmmmm looks like you have been digging my past comments.... Are you my fan lol ;-)
113. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1546; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
And many of such "fanboys" disagreed before seeing it.
"...looks like you have been digging my past comments".
No. I read and commented on the S5 articles.
72. drkuthan (Posts: 29; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
1. Phone arena why aren't you bringing lumia 1020 and oppo to the tests ? What is making you so afraid ?
2. Sony fans omg such losers saw what the poor carl zeiss was capable of. Now it is time to
190. jojon (Posts: 148; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
Sad isn't it. I believe a Nokia 925 8MP Pureview would sink this lot, don't bother with the 1020, Icon, 930. Nokia most conspicuous by it's absence, well done PA. Falling in love again with their faves
88. pwnarena (Posts: 1006; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
comparing an 8MP photo against 16MP and 13MP ones and saying the bigger photos have more detail... what a logical way of thinking!
they're not even using superior auto (significantly sharper due to pixel binning) for the 8mp z2 samples.
92. KaranAggarwal (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Totally biased..u must get an award for such creepy reviews phonearena. I think comparisons are based on same basis? Then what the hell phonearena is doing by taking pics at greater distance with xperia z2 than the sammy's note and s5. Z2's colory production is effected cz of this. Phonearena come up with some genuine comparisons otherwise you would come up with "s5 tops blind camera comparison 4th time.
133. RajRicardo (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
yea, even they are using android 4.4 on all other latest phones and loaded Xperia Z2 with outdated android 4.2.
98. nottolate (Posts: 21; Member since: 01 Jun 2014)
A G2 with all the mods installed has everybody beat.
112. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3648; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Thats like saying I put a V8 engine in my corolla and i beat a ferrari.
103. elitewolverine (Posts: 2574; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Would love to see a Nokia Icon vs S5, nearly identical in mp, 16 v 20, the icon has a quad so the shot between shots is over.
we all know the 1520 has come out on top with the 20mp snapper before...considering the icon is a 'this year' device why not.
105. nottolate (Posts: 21; Member since: 01 Jun 2014)
The eyes don't lie. Clearly the Sammy S5 does not take the best photos. 3-way tie for first: N3, G3, G2. S5 camera not even as good S4. Who are they kidding? We are not dumb, Z2 even loses to M8!
108. refillable (Posts: 711; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
I prefer taking conclusions by myself and not reading these type of written conclusions...
119. FCB-Eto (Posts: 29; Member since: 17 Aug 2013)
It's official the S5 and Z2 are tied for best mobile cameras with scores of 79 each, so stop the bickering.
130. vishalaestro (Posts: 63; Member since: 08 Dec 2013)
the best all round camera should be the iphone 5s it performs excellent on both good and low light situations whereas the lg g3 or s5 performs very well on good light but loses comparably under low light compared to iphone 5s on both video recording and still photos.
132. RajRicardo (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
How come all the latest phones are running Android 4.4 and Xperia Z2 is not? I got my Z2 with Android 4.4 pre-installed on it. PA is cheating by loading Z2 with older version of android and all other latest phones with a newer version. Very poor review Nick. Try not to be a fanboy.
134. RajRicardo (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Before commenting on SONY, please remember that most of the phones on top use camera senor built by sony. So stop crying. The reason Z2 got a lower score is because PA loaded it with outdated android 4.2 while all other latest handsets are loaded with android 4.4.
139. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3434; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Yeah PA, how did you even get 4.2.2 on your Z2? It comes with KitKat out of the box...
140. TMach (Posts: 396; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
How unprofessional of PhoneArena...the Z2 launched with KitKat 4.4.2. yet the review states the software in the test phone is Sony Xperia Z2: Android 4.2.2, build number 17.1.A.2.55! By the way, as posted earlier in the comments thread this software is redundant as the latest software is not .55 but .402!
Ever heard about proof reading? SO unprofessional.
172. Nick_T (Posts: 155; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The update came to our unit after the comparison was complete.
174. TMach (Posts: 396; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
The fact is, however, that the Z2 comes with 4.4.2 out of the box and yet the article states 4.2.2 which is my point on proofing the article before posting.
Presume a re-run with the .55 update is in the works then?
183. Nick_T (Posts: 155; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Yeah, that was an error. The Z2 that we used ran Android 4.4.2 with the .55 software version.
141. Anonn (Posts: 96; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
Samsung Galaxy S5 has the best smartphone camera, according to DxOMark:
175. TMach (Posts: 396; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Actually, DXoMark rates the Z2 as joint top with the S5 with both on 79 points. Let's be accurate and not distort the truth!
181. Anonn (Posts: 96; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
On Photo, both got 79 but on Video, S5:79 , Z2:73
142. greatoneiw (Posts: 41; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)
G3 should have won the video contest !
you should have mentioned that note 3 camera is the same as S4 so the phone is going wild for over a year !....and that's ... i dont know .... impressive ???
why the **** u guys are still include HTC in your comparison? only + in m8 is it's design and it can be **** up with a case around it which EVERYONE put ....
143. Jorgemerino97 (Posts: 8; Member since: 05 Apr 2014)
PhoneArena... can you make a comparison with the 20mpx mode on the Xperia Z2? With only 8mpx obviously will lose in all...
148. jvakratsas (unregistered)
No one mentioned the mistake... whoever does the maths needs to go back to school ASAP add the individual scores and devide them with 6(video doesnt count as the author says)... and you will end up with different numbers
LG G3 8.58
GALAXY S5 8.33
153. DarkRadeonFX (Posts: 25; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
......."Sponsored by Samesung"........
And No Nokia Lumai Phones in a Camera Test. Even 20mp 1520 wipes all these Lagrdoids.
180. simpleas (Posts: 155; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
lol, are you seriously comparing the ISOCell S5 to a crappy 1520? lolol. Megapixels don't mean much :) There are tests out online already s5 beats it handsdown.
154. Alain1990 (Posts: 13; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
hey u need to include night photos in your overall score.. for me its important.. many dont use their phone's camera in night because the results are ugly.. but now camera phones are better at night..
161. Trex95 (Posts: 574; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
HTC One M8 vs LG G3:http://youtu.be/5Q0mI7-Nn48 if you think G3 camera is great then check this comparison between M8 and G3.
162. Trex95 (Posts: 574; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
The worst thing about S5 and Note 3 camera photos at night looks muddy if zoomed to 100% no details at all. Honestly details at night photos looks better on M8,IPhone 5s, G2 then G3.
163. gigaraga (Posts: 1393; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Samsung and LG completely trashed the competition. I would've though the Z2 at least would put up a fight put it doesn't seem like it here, but rather the opposite. Go Samsung and LG!
164. gevinleow (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Apr 2014)
Oh come on! don't be bias! look at this professional review, dxomark.com/Mobiles Z2 stand 2nd place after S5
176. TMach (Posts: 396; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
See earlier post, they both scored 79 points so joint top NOT second place.
179. simpleas (Posts: 155; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
Yeah but when you put the whole thing together sonys not first. Are they even second lol.
177. zebraman (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
galaxy S5 has the best camera Phone on the market. sony fans have just got to deal with it.
they whole forum is just Z2 owners having a cry
178. simpleas (Posts: 155; Member since: 30 Apr 2014)
Samsung already won best camera by DXO Mark. So now they won both Best Screen Ever by DisplayMate and Best Camera Ever by DXO Mark. Good job Samsung. Now make your phones look better.
185. Ethos (Posts: 71; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
u are brainwashed with samsung bcos they using oversaturated colors modes so everybody stupid thinks it is best IT ISNT !!!
188. Jeroi (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Jun 2014)
I wonder why the LG3 has a marginallly better camera then the rest. How would it compare to the new Iphone. Although I must disagree with this review about the Iphone's excellence at night. My wife's Iphone takes extremely pixelated photo's at night. Basically unusable.
Back to the LG 3. The pictures all look great if not better than the galaxy S5 or the ios S5. but then again, it might just be viewer preference.
Is the LG3 dust and water proof?
195. horangeh (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
As many posted, I agree the most important comparison is night shots. Clearly Galaxy S5 and Note 3 have uncontrolled noise yet they are given the same score as IPhone 5s ??? The IPhone pics are darker because the ACTUAL pic is darker but if you increase the exposure with software, you will see best details from all phones. The LG G2 looses details due to software noise smoothing, same for LG G3 but to a lesser extent. The Htc One is penalized for 'lights being blobs" but it shows the best details of all phones, of course. The scoring of PA is not supported by the pics sorry ...
196. horangeh (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
Equally important are the indoor shots and PA review doesn't fail to disappoint in that area too. The most important subject indoors in low light is human face. That is most users use their cell phones for indoors. Human face has enough details (eye lashes, skin pores etc) that allows very easily to see which phone has the sharpest least noisy pics. The shots of painting, corridors, and objects used by PA for testing are IRRELEVANT and it's extremely hard to make difference between the phones. Also different light from visible to dim to very dim should be used. Sadly most reviews do not understand that ...
197. Hardlord (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Aug 2014)
Desconsideraram o o noite no final score só para o S5 ficar em primeiro!! Hauehaeu
They overlooked the the score late in the night just to get the S5 first!!
198. marlowe10011 (Posts: 10; Member since: 23 Aug 2014)
This is Asinine can't you see night photo how bright is xperia z2. This is subjective and foolish
199. Edvard (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Nov 2014)
Photos are good in all of those phones but needs a replacement app e.g. SliderCamera to make colors better and have a better settings options.