Camera comparison: Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S III vs HTC One X vs Nokia Lumia 900
0. phoneArena 08 Oct 2012, 08:07 posted on
After pitting four of the biggest stars in the smartphone world right now against one another in our web browsing and display comparisons, we’re once again taking the quartet on yet another worthwhile comparison to proclaim the best of the best in the camera-taking department. At the center of all the commotion, is none other than newest member of the crew, the Apple iPhone 5, which so happens to be armed with an 8-megapixel iSight ...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
35. BillyG (Posts: 304; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
dont be lazy, google it, you'll find the comparison with 808 instead of 900. i read it somewhere before, and it just as bad as that 900
83. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
mate you need serious help, no matter who you are no one can deny the 808 is the best mobile camera phone. it is miles ahead of the lumia's and the iphone dont come close either
the 808 is function over form, not sacrificing quality for size. plus you seen the sensor the 808 has.
do some research your sounding like a jealous idiot
174. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Yes, it was an article written by some blond on FOX News. I can't remember if it was written by a man or a woman, but it was defintely a dumb blond.
5. eisenbricher (Posts: 964; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Once again I raise the same dissatisfactions over these tests.
1. Old generation Lumia included in the test.
2. Sony's handsets not included. Especially since sony manufactures the camera that even IP5 uses. The inventor is kept in dark.
3. I can't help smiling at the words... I know IP5 performed better, but the words themselves scream the apple fanboyism.
45. Fuego84 (Posts: 250; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Yeah totally reads like an apple fanboy wrote this article.
100. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
In fairness, the apple camera IS a Sony camera, so having an actual Sony device may not have produced vastly different results. That said, I agree, 900 wasn't the best choice, and the article did seem to have a pro-apple slant.
109. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
iPhone 5 use CMOS sensor from Sony but remember that camera consist from more parts than only a CMOS sensor also don't forget about software par. ;)
6. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
why compare the OneX and the Lumia 900 when they are both nearly a year old, with a handset that is not a month old(i5) and one that is about 4 months old(s3)?
10. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
It's a camera comparison. But as eisenbricher says, why no Sony phones?
11. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Why this? why that? seriously Grow up kids & quit wimmpin on something nontrivial, the 920 can have it's glory when it officialy launches, but at this moment since it is nowhere in plain sight hence the inclusion only of the Lumia 900.
I didn't even took the time to personally examine the photos to determine who would be the winner per PA standards. ^_____^
157. AmitMajumder (Posts: 79; Member since: 21 May 2012)
Why didn't they took the 808 pureview?
14. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 660; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
dude there is option in samsung camera app in ''Camera->SCN-> Fall color'' which increase colors of pics
17. shikori7 (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Sooooo isn't the pureview another smartphone that was released with a camera this year? Why isn't it included here? Oh wait the iphne 5 can't look too bad.
21. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
If I'm correct they've selected phones that are offered by an American Carrier means the 808 is disqualified by default. That cameraphone is from another planet hence it would be unfair to include it in this so called camera comparison. . .
24. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
True, plus the 808 is the equivalent to the Hulk, which would dominate everything thrown in its path
175. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
No carrier subsidies in the USA for the N8. Just full price / off contract.
70. StreetNerd (Posts: 699; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
"the 808 is the equivalent to the Hulk"
28. shikori7 (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
But you can get the 808 for at and t through amazon.
29. Mfa901 (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
i think phonearena is trying to become official site of apple inc
on need to insult other manufacturers by editing there camera pics
38. StreetNerd (Posts: 699; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
PA read all these comments please.... dont moderated post when they are right and even when they got plenty of thumbs up, instead take it as feedback!
its obvious that articles like these fail! stop being pro apple
utterly useless screen comparison
utterly useless camera comparison
42. darkkjedii (Posts: 9280; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
There's no way the ip5 can when this comparison, why? Cuz android users say so. The results don't matter, just what the android users say matters. C'mon people, is the ip5 that bad that it can never win anything lol?
53. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
As I have stated in my comment #19, I think that iPhone 5 shots relatively good pictures just "Purple Halo" effect ruin everything.
63. jroc74 (Posts: 3978; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I also think the iPhone 5 took good pics and videos, and overall it probably did the best job. I wouldnt have called it unanimous like the writer of the article did, cuz to my untrained, unprofessional eye the GS3, One X and Nokia phone did good in some areas.
47. sebaa (Posts: 23; Member since: 30 Jun 2009)
Huuuu, G3 end ip5 have the same camera module ..SONY, 8 MP, but few photos are the same (same camera)end alot of photos are diffrent because software , soo Sony wins .
51. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 799; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Now let the "comment censorship" commence! ^___^
56. edpad90 (Posts: 23; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
%100 crops. To me is hard to say which cam is better on this topic. GS3 OR ONE X.
58. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
According to the pictures in real world the One x has the best shots. It seems to my eye the Iphone 5 has to sharp of images, also lighting is not real world either.
One x has warmer colors and correct detail. As the Iphone has to sharp of detail therefore making the picture look fake.
62. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I'm really not sure if John is comparing the cameras or the phones!
He got the top-notch from Apple, HTC, Samsung but a mid-notch from Nokia. Why not 820? Everyone below has asked and i am asking it too. Everyone knows Lumia 900 won't stand a chance among the other 3. I'm not saying it's a bad camera-phone, but it's not the best from Nokia, camera wise.
Again, an unfair comparison.
I guess he don't want to see iPhone fall...sorry John, you made me say this.
64. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I have received two warnings from him because of talks in this article about "Purple Halo" effect which is fact admitted by Apple. :(
73. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
133. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
bad marketing => trolling. HAHAHA sorry mate. :D
177. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Purple Haze, Purple Haze, Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze,Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5, Purple Haze, iPhone 5...
65. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
The hell is the Xperia T? For god's sake PhoneArena, no one is interested in the aged HTC One X with a medi-core camera and no Micro-SD slot.
75. StreetNerd (Posts: 699; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
u know what is sucky.... is that no one of PA is posting a comment.... only friggin moderate....
76. wolstenbeast (Posts: 25; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Given a reported fault with the I-phone 5 in bright sunlight, your website chooses to do a camera comparison on a dull overcast day?
Not only is this bad testing protocol, bright sunshine shots are a must because seeing if you can see the screen is visible enough to see what you are shooting is kind of IMPORTANT!
It also shows a lack of journalistic integrity to deliberately avoid investigating a known issue and ignoring it completely.
Shame on you Phone Arena, Shame!
132. iphone4me (banned) (Posts: 35; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
OMG! Now all this Android Fanatics accusing PhoneArena of being an iPhoneFan, LOL
What's wrong with you, just accept the Facts!
iPhone 5 is the BEST & WINNER! (^_~)
135. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
well no one can accept the iphone is the best and the winner due to the simple fact it isnt
it would be like me saying the nokia 808 has the most apps available for it...........complete bs just like the iphone is
iPhone over saturates the picture and sharpens it as most believe over saturated colour is better then natural colour. as this is a camera comparison this is important.
but just include sony or the 808 and see how poor the iphone is to them in the camera department
77. Rexperia (Posts: 98; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
i wonder why...PA did not put SONY XPERIA T or S......
102. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Not available on any US carrier yet...
although the Xperia ION sure is!
78. syedzain (Posts: 174; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I have been using iphone 4s for the first time, its really great. Got to update to iphone 5.
86. shuaibhere (Posts: 880; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
How can be iphone 5' s camera is great when it shows purple halos......
They din address this problem but they constantly pointed that one x produces some yellowish photos which is rarely addressed...
96. bucky (Posts: 1222; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Before I even opened up this article I immediately looked forward to the emo android tears!
97. gallitoking (Posts: 4630; Member since: 17 May 2011)
people here read but dont understand John V clearly said.. "four of the biggest stars in the smartphone world right now ".... so not phones that have not been relased no N8 no other phone that is a big shot right now.. but that doesnt matter to you guys.. Apple sucks and Android lives regardless of the article..Apple won on this one.. period
125. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
''four of the biggest stars in the smartphone world right now "
well arguably the 808 is a star of the smartphone world, acknowledged as the best camera phone there is, so with your logic it should have been included. the n8 an ageing yet still holds its own and beats the 4 phones in this comparison.
''so not phones that have not been relased no N8 no other phone that is a big shot right now''
this makes no sense, are you saying no n8 as its old? because if thats the case the lumia 900 shouldn't of been included as it too is old.
fact is the nokia camera powerhouses weren't included as they would shame the iphone badly.
my question is why is every phone compared to the iphone, yet in camera comparisons why dont they compare every phone to the 808 or even the n8.
and where is sony's chance in these comparisons to shine. they offer great camera phones
105. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
What, pray tell, has it "kicked ***" in? Other than processing power (which is wasted due to the OS) it 1) doesn't have greatest battery life 2) doesn't have the greatest screen 3) isn't the thinnest 4) doesn't take the best photos 5) doesn't have expandable memory (though does have icloud) 6) doesn't have a great UI 7) doesn't lead in mapping, guidance, local or social media services 8) isn't that durable 9) doesn't have that good of reception (though does have admittedly good calling quality) 10) lacks features which are becoming standard on flagship phones (NFC, wireless charging) 11) still is made in sub-par labor conditions 12) still can't truly multitask 13) uses a crummy program for storage management 14)etc etc etc
111. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
So which phone has 14 of those features you listed?
99. Shino (Posts: 159; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I'm not surprised here with the result, as well as the previous display test. Like I've said since the launch of iP5 - there is nothing better on the market now. The only device, that is worth waiting to beat the iPhone is the 920.
126. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
depends beat it at what, camera the iphone has been beaten many times by nokia and im sure by sony if P.A would include them.
as for functionality, android has that covered. offers more then iOS
and with the 920 coming it gets better.
i dont see how you can claim there nothing better on the market right now then the iphone. so you think a extremely problem riddled low build quality phone at a high price is the best. need to look around seriously there are many better phones
104. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
HTC One X has a better camera it was tested asginst the iphone 5 and the one x won so this articel has been paid by apple. check it out your self the video:
106. kingpet13 (Posts: 139; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Phonearena, is it really neccessary to modererate phonearenauser? I mean he posted an acknowledged fact, and a link to support that he is not just insulting apple. Apple itself acknowleged that they had a purple halo problem. I don't know about you but i don't like pictures where I can't see my face because of a flare. Accepting that this is a problem with a camera isOK. But to say that it is trolling because he pointed out a flaw in Apple is not very proffessional. Would you ban him if he said that the s3s camera is terrible and has an ugly tint? (I know this isn't true... Just an example)
PURPLE HALO PURPLE HALO PURPLE HALO!!!