BlackBerry Z10 vs Samsung Galaxy S III
0. phoneArena 07 Feb 2013, 08:21 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S III has seemingly become the prized darling for the mature Android platform – while the BlackBerry Z10 is intent on starting yet another revolution of its own. Will BlackBerry’s flagship have what it takes to sway people from the mighty features set found with the Samsung Galaxy S III?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
2. ajac09 (Posts: 1402; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
without even reading it my vote goes to the gs3. Not enough blackberry
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
My vote also goes to Samsung Galaxy S III (even if I don't like OLED based displays).
37. metalpoet (unregistered)
i have the gs3 but id take a bb z10 over an iPhone 5 as my 2nd smartphone :)
41. ReaperChief (Posts: 31; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I'd either take a Note 2, Nexus 4 or an Xperia Z as my 2nd phone.. And, if I were to pick another OS for a second phone, I'd pick an iPhone 5 and then a Lumia 920.. Finally, a Z10 would be the final option.. Of course, these picks will be final this summer when we will have all the major competitors..
3. Johnnokia (Posts: 645; Member since: 27 May 2012)
I see S3 is the winner.
If so, how can the Z10 compete with the Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, HTC M7 or the new coming soon legendary Lumia !!.
The way is tooooo tough Blackberry.
38. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
That is the problem for BB. They have come to the 2013 market with a 2012 solution. What makes them more special than say, a Sony Z, Sammy GS IV, HTC One (or whatever they end up calling it) or the next Nokia L940?
40. Mindmeld (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Firstly, this is someone's opinion and not fact (like a movie review). John likes (although he keeps saying 'we') GSIII and that's cool. You are right, though, Z10 most likely will not be able to compete with the next generation phones although we have no idea what the specs are going to be. On the other hand, will these upcoming phones be able to compete with the BB Aristo that is rumored to be coming out sometime at the end of this year? Maybe a moot point, however, since all these phones are vapor ware until they are officially announced (and none have been - just rumors).
4. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
No real competition here the Galaxy S3 pimp slaps this Blackberry 10 software and features especially. But it's great to see BlackBerry stepping up it's game to remain relevant in this they must come stronger.
5. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I can see the winner miles away...
Sad to see a phone from '12 slapping another from the future.
6. cocote177 (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Want a comparison with the Lumia 920. Those are the real competitors
26. slaggyb (Posts: 194; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Again another fake comparison in terms of battery life...iphonearena you so disappoint me..http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/blackberry-z10-vs-iphone-5-hardware-comparison/......take your time folks and read..
27. slaggyb (Posts: 194; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
14. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
you mean the S3 with its blueish tint??
17. bucky (Posts: 1764; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
If it not better than the s3 then it certainly isn't going to be the iPhone 5.....
19. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Dyslexia? I think you got some words mixed up there.
21. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
No, he was talking about the Z10 with it's dimness in comparison to the S3. Stacks up pretty well against the iPhone 5 though (See comparison)
23. bucky (Posts: 1764; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
No, wrong person replied too. Fail on my part. I did however get a chance to play with the z10...it's actually not bad at all. If it came out last year it would be excellent. It's really hard for a new is to come out now without a major financial backing.
10. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
S3 wins but it might beat the iphone 5.
11. x78_nothing (Posts: 53; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
willing to see BB Z10 white version compare to SGS3, but only my opinion ... with home button sgs3 looks so old.
13. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
not even close, the differences are like heaven and hell
bb still has a long way to go
16. Jonathan41 (Posts: 532; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
The SG3 is the clear winner in the capabilities and specs department. Blackberry is super late to the party but, the Z10 is a Okay starting point. I predict the Z10 will grant Blackberry back a fair amount of it's customers who went to the iPhone.
18. TheMan (Posts: 433; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Thinking aloud here...
I don't think the Z10 has to be the best. The iPhone didn't have to be (though it may have been briefly) because of its walled garden ecosystem (just like the iPod benefited.) Sammy has to be a leader because it is only offering hardware, so the phone has to stand on its own (although they're doing things like tying in other Samsung phones and offering SmartTV's).
BB has its service offering going for it. As long as that's on the table BB just has to be "good enough."
22. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Clearly the S 3 walks out with an easy win.. but I really like the potential beneath the BB OS.
BB should focus on licensing it out, because they obviously cannot cope with the best on the hardware front
24. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
this place is filled with fandroids, and a few ifans like wendy garett and ray s, iphones arent bad but there are like 15 phones better than i5, android has lots of freedom but lots of malware, specially on gigerbread, it also lags and bugs and apps dont work fine on all androids, wp8 is all around good but lacks customization
bb10 is safe,doesnt lag, and has qnx as its kernel (the best kernel), so, dont bash and troll bb10 and wp because ios and android arent perfect, nothing is perfect, everything has pluses to put in the arena
its a real fail that nokia didnt invest on apps for symbian and meego
29. daftastic (Posts: 87; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Some people have reported stuttering in the UI. It was something about how parts of the phone were written in Adobe Air which supposedly makes it lag.
25. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3045; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Blackberry has a HUGE road ahead of them if they ever want to even come close to competing with Android and IOS, hell even Windows 8. I am really hoping they do well as competition is always a good thing for the consumer.
30. louiemapa (Posts: 28; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
how about lumia 920 vs Z10? compare it on each platform
31. mouhammed200 (Posts: 5; Member since: 08 Feb 2013)
galaxy s3 is awesome fortunately i can get it free at gadgets.kudosnetwork.co.uk/11506
32. sonofzeus (Posts: 95; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
its amazing to see the S3 which was released nearly 10 months before z10 defeats its hands down when it comes to performance and design
Think about S4 vs z10..............................
33. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I am aware of amoled charateristics (I still own N8) but compared to S III's screen blackberry looks dim and ugly
34. Armor (Posts: 49; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Blackberry Z10 all the way. This review is bias!!!!!
36. drdaly (Posts: 38; Member since: 09 Nov 2012)
BB wins for me,
the reviewer was biased to the famous phone and afraid of the fan-base, sad to say so but it's true :(
39. BitterTruth (unregistered)
Different phones for different peoples.
43. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
As usual . a great comparison from John V .
44. stash (Posts: 3; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
Lots of comments based on assumptions without experience. I have a Galaxy S3. Great phone. However, tried and bought a Z10 and happy now to get rid of the S3, which despite all the technical "superiority", still stalled, and was sluggish especially with the camera. Then Z10 is by far superior when it comes to the OS and efficiency in getting anything related to communications done. Once more apps start appearing then it shall be even better, and as a first release new OS, BB has ticked all the right boxes and launched a complete OS, something the current leaders didn't do when they started out.