BlackBerry Z10 vs Apple iPhone 5
0. phoneArena 07 Feb 2013, 05:15 posted on
Crazy to imagine it nonetheless, but we finally have a hotly contested BlackBerry smartphone that’s worthy of being pitted against the greats in the industry. Although it’s still a while before it makes its presence in the US, the BlackBerry 10 trotting Z10 is making some noise of late, and knowing that, it’s bound to catch the iPhone 5’s direct gaze...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. Techsplash (Posts: 41; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
the actual display size of both phones are same.dont you think so.
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
But again I still prefer iPhone 5 :)
11. wendygarett (unregistered)
Then why are you comment? :)
14. wendygarett (unregistered)
Whatever... IPhone5 I choose you!!!!!
39. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Good choice Wendy more like great choice
34. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
and again I still give dislike ^^
42. b1acktiger (Posts: 218; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Wendy is a mystry. Loyal to iPhone and holds a HTC One X which she hates for being "PLASTICKY" and a ton of Red Thumbs Down. LOL
47. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
The screen height is the same but the width is different...The BB Z10 has a slightly wider screen.
65. SkurtMcGurt (Posts: 21; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
Overall, Iphone 5 camera wins..hands down
53. Taters (Posts: 4763; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The Z10 screen is way better. It is a decent shape and has a great aspect ratio for portrait.
The Iphone 5 on the other hand, let's just say it should have stuck to a 3:2 aspect ratio. 16:9 really does not go well with a screen that is already super tall and skinny. 16:9 works well with short and fat screens though.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
BB has promise, but the ip5 is more solid in the key areas
16. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4184; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
True, but you have to give BB credit for a strong start. The only real thing it's missing is apps and a few features, otherwise it's a very solid platform for starting a comeback.
The multitasking and notification methods BB brought are second to none. BB centralized their OS around multitasking, and I personally think the notifications system is better than any other platform has right now.
All BB10 needs is the developer support, then it'll be a top competitor. For a brand new platform, BB did a spectacular job.
31. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Blackberry did not start with the Z10. It ends with it.
67. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Yes blackberry has a very strong start and remember its only v.1 of Blackberry 10 os. who knows how much the BB10 os will improve.The only thing more solid about iOS is that it have many apps that we can use.But in every other aspects, I think Z10 is on par with iPhone 5
30. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
are they brothers................. or step brothers...........
5. tech2 (Posts: 3011; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
"but if you’re a power user and prefer an established foundation, stick with the iPhone 5"
although I agree iPhone 5 is better established (only if you are talking to the extent of apps) what makes you say a power user should go for iPhone 5 when it lacks multi-tasking and a better notification experience ?
It takes absoluetly ages to close all apps on ios whereas BB10 is keenly focused of multi-tasking. Why would a power user prefer ios then ? (No offence intented)
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And the apps make the iPhone a serious power user device too
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Tech have u ever really worked with the ip5 hands on for a good amount of time?
37. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
I have and it sucks when it comes to multi tasking...Textin on it sucks too
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I love the accuracy of the keyboard, and the fast multitasking
15. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The iPhone has multitasking, it just does it in its own way. Better notifications is subjective, people will prefer one thing to the other, I feel that the notifications in iOS simply lack quick settings but other than that its great, again that's subjective. Multitasking is the ability to do two or more things at once, and leave an app and return to it the way u left it. The iPhone does that.
17. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4184; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The iPhone doesn't have multitasking. After closing out of an app, it's given about 5 seconds of background time (but may have a 10 minute extension if there is a big task) then goes into a suspended state; that isn't multitasking. Multitasking is running multiple things at once, and if apps are put in a suspended state, that means they aren't running, and thus not multitasking. Only a few apps in iOS can run in the background constantly; mainly music/podcast and social networking apps.
MacWorld did an article on this a while ago, and unless Apple changed the way iOS multitasks in iOS 6 (which I highly doubt), it still holds true.
20. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Symbian and Meego are the other true multi-taskers that have been commericalized (and killed) by Nokia. Meego, in particular, delivered the unified messaging hub and full gesture based UI that the media is currently praising BB for "developing".
Apple and Microsoft have both chosen the suspended app approach probably to address battery life for their high overhead OS's.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Not here to argue. I prefer iOS multitasking
25. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4184; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You prefer how iOS switches apps, multitasking isn't the correct term because iOS doesn't multitask.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ok bro have it your way as I said I'm not here to argue.
22. wendygarett (unregistered)
It works only in iphone5 iPad mini and iPad 4, the rest can't... I tried every device and I know :)
24. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4184; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
How can other devices not multitask if they have the same software? It makes no sense.
29. wendygarett (unregistered)
I'm thinking the same things, why don't ask Apple :)
36. windy (Posts: 20; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
IOS has multitasking the same as Android system. For example you can close a game and return to it anytime you want. What you'll find is a paused game.
For other applications you have the same.
I haven't seen any application that is shot down after pushing the home button.
Can you give an example that is against multitasking?
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I love that I can keep my camera, and Facebook open at all times and go to them and they're ready to rock.
71. sbrk2 (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
My girlfriend has an iphone, but i guess most girls do....
35. Xtasy (Posts: 284; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
That's exactly what i couldn't understand! How could people using an iphone 5 be a power user lol
It's very obvious that the person who wrote this is biased and rooting for the iphone and is a fan of one...
9. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Too bad the battery life on the z10 was bad
46. slaggyb (Posts: 194; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I dont know why iphonearena is complaining about Z10 battery Is all bullcrap... I got my Z10 which I ordered from day one delivered yesterday and I really don't understand iphonearena anymore...battery life by far has been fantastic its in the same league with my galaxy s3 of which I sold and shipped that same yesterday on Amazon after listing it there for about two weeks. .check out the link below this is from an iphone strict site.http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/02/blackberry-z10-vs-iphone-5-hardware-comparison/
48. slaggyb (Posts: 194; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
54. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Soo actually the battery isnt that bad ? Well thats good to hear
18. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
When comparing displays of both phones, would you please choose the same wallpaper/background. I think it may affect the display at some point.
Also, I see no difference on the viewing angle which made me conclude that the viewing angles are almost on the same level.
23. alterecho (Posts: 1095; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
The backside of the Z10 looks like the front side of the iPhone 5.
26. x78_nothing (Posts: 53; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Thanks for nice comparison ... actually i want to know more about BB Balance, Flow and Timeshift on Z10.
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 15632; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I thought the Iphone had too much bezel, but man the z10 has a ton of it.
33. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
ahm nice comparison i agree in some point just like the music player but i think the review failed to give some emphasis on Z10's main feature as well as advantage no doubt IP5 has the advantage in camera department( but z10's time-shift is quite impressive)and apps as well as built quality but when it comes to messaging i think BB's z10 nailed it keyboard, the screen sharing, video chat in bbm, and the BB balance where you can separate personal and work related stuff. is downright very convenient. how i hope it has given a small potion to be notice and commend in the review over all nice review decent and fair at some point but could have been better...
41. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
have used iPhone 5 its really a great phone, Jailbreak made iPhone more excellent.
45. k1ng617 (Posts: 264; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
Wowza the BB front looks just like a Moto Droid X!
52. Crackberry (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Whatever you may say about BB / BB Z10 . Well. its really a great start for BB having BB 10. Today's generation BB 10 takes revenge on Iphone, Android whatsoever... Canada's pride takes place over US products. Iphone is SLUGGISH, Low Camera Quality, although Iphone has much apps and games, but the Developers of BB are making much apps, games etc. You must try BB 10 before judging both phones, well Im not forcing but atleast you try. But i really prefer BB. BB rocks, Canada, Philippines, Saudi, India, indonesia etc, even America. Try to visit BlackBerry.
55. onethreealpha (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
Thankyou for this OPINION piece. I think amongst all the personal viewpoints and preferences, there may have actually been 1 or 2 valid comparisons.
The reference to, multitasking with iOS is a joke.
The total failure to highlight the many features that are standard on BlackBerry's first iteration device, while iphone users have suffered for years with something as old as a crippled bluetooth function?
The complete bypassing of BB balance as a feature...... Even though iOS can't even compete with it. Of course I forgot about all those fart apps and the thousands of ebooks and rss links that are also classified as "apps" in the great walled garden....
Yep, iphonearena does it again.
56. lpratas (Posts: 142; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
There for it be all plastic the Z10 has better functions and features then the Iphone 5. Why the Iphone 5 will attract more interest even now?!! John V, don't drink so much because in this review you are drunk, drunk with the Iphone 5. I think the Iphone 5 hasn't nothing of special. For me seems with its features a feature phone. Why the reviewers of this site are always talking well of the Apple phones and tablets and putting deffects in the smartphones of the competition, especially in the Samsung smartphones and tablets? I see a promising future in the BB10 and Z10 with its features, it resembles with Android.
57. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Expect the BB app store to grow at an extreme rate.
Re-coding for the QNX is apparently a breeze.
One programmer ported a high end game (Galaxy on fire 2 Valkyrie) from iOS to BB in one day!