Apple iPhone 5s Review
0. phoneArena 23 Sep 2013, 07:09 posted on
As history has shown us, we’re in one of those years where Apple decides to retain the styling and design of its previous iPhone, and simply spices things up in the specs department, as well as throwing in some other new goodies into the mix. In this particular case, the iPhone 5s brings forth a fancy schmancy new fingerprint scanner called Touch ID, a first of a kind 64-bit based Apple A7 mobile processor, and an updated iSight camera with larger sized pixels. Beyond the hardware goodness in tow with the iPhone 5s, it’s also sporting Apple’s biggest undertaking yet, iOS 7, which has been a long time coming...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
10. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2138; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
SMH... PA, will give good score, to phones that, arent even great, and low scores , to good phones
102. AAABall (unregistered)
Why no mention of non proprietary lightning cable, or the lack of lack of memory expansion? This is a con on every other phone PA reviews?
198. bob_monkeywarts (Posts: 236; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Yeah, I think Apple might be paying PA to give the iPhone good reviews, like how the battery life was so awesome in the review but crappy in real life... And how the heck is that screen good? it's tiny, and the iPhone would be microscopic if it didn't have those 2" bezels.
105. Dr.Tom (Posts: 46; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The screen isn't even 720p! But it is the brightest screen in the market! Too bad its soo SMALL. PA doesnt like to talk about the size or resolution or the fact that 326PPI is only average by flagship standards. Instead they use all these technical terms to try and hide the truth! With flagship phones pushing 441PPI, retina display is now a thrid class quality!
188. rohitknhs (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Mar 2014)
Screen size is a preference,so shut up! Even Samsung phones have almost same design,but no one complains because they are fanboys.
3. chunky1x (Posts: 270; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
I don't see something special to this phone. This looks and feel the same.
199. bob_monkeywarts (Posts: 236; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
129. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
The only thing that I see special to this phone is the 64-bit processor, but again, something that is of little to no use for the average consumers.
That's the only groundbreaking thing about the 5S.
Otherwise, better save money for the 5 with the same iOS 7 experience.
4. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
No full HD
same old MP with just a little bit of increase in Pixel size 1.5 mic.
same old screen size
same old ram
marketing gimmick 64 architecture
same old battery
totally biased PA
16. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Maybe you go and read the ultimate real talk tech site, AnandTech's review and come back with a little more knowledge.
172. saffant (Posts: 264; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Spec bump doesn't warrant a 9.3 rating, fanboy.
Note 3 crushes the Note 2 in benchmarks too, where's its 9.3 rating? or heck more since it actually changes the design (improves rather) a bit too.
36. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1324; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
1. Find me one android phone from the big manufacturers that has a 4" full hd phone. Nope they are all 720p. Its a small screen and 720p looks like full hd cause its a small screen. 5" needs 1080p cause the 720p wouldn't look that amazing on it.
2. Better optics, better image sensor, bigger image sensor, 720p 120fps video recording, burst mode(5 didnt have it so its also an upgrade)
3. OLD screen size? So 4" is old and 5" is new? Did humans somehow increase fingers size in few years time? You are so uneducated my friend. MANY people think 5" S4 is huge.
4. Old ram? iOS runs perfectly with 512mb, with 1gb its also future prood. It isnt FREAKING android who needs 3gb of ram in now days. Dont compare apples with oranges please.
5. True it is a little bit of gimmick, but it also means in two years the iPhone 5S will run 64bit apps/games so its kinda future proof.
6. Also kinda true but it got improved by few hours which isnt bad at all.
7. Totally biased? I have found 6-7 top review sites and they all gave iphone 9+ in terms of score. MAYBE you are the biased one.
68. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
More like a KitKat bar....
Objectively, there are better offerings elsewhere than in Apple-land (G2 and L1020 come to mind). The only problem is that the L1020 is limited by its carrier exclusive.
The 5S is a life cycle refresh. Nothing more. 9.3 is on the charitable side. 9.1 would have been more objective.
93. heyhi (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
hey man, i totally respect your preferences and opinions, but just disagree about the screen size.
"Did humans somehow increase fingers size in few years time?"
if screen sizes were only about fingers'size, everybody would have to buy a specially made screen sized phone. Again, if that was the point, Apple didnt change it this time, but last time did it. Why? cuz fingers got bigger?? Dont think so.
5" looks bigger, as so 4.3" looked huge when HTC released the HD model, not sure what model was, then it became a standard size. 5" is BECOMING standard, not yet, in regular smartphones.
Bigger screens are more enjoyable to read and watch... nowadays, we read more, write more on the phone that some years ago....as long as the phone still pocketable, doesnt matter what size the finger is, at least for me...the "only problem"i see is that you'll need two hands to operate the phone...i dont see that as an issue though. Just a matter to get used to.
Even Apple customers were requesting a bigger screen. Thats the "only problem" they saw on the iphone.
Apple should've made two sized phones instead of two "nich maket" phones.
Again, i respect your opinion and preferences.
110. Leo_MC (Posts: 798; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
You are absolutely right but 21-23" screen, not tiny 5".
If you want a bigger mobile screen, get a 10" tablet (or, better yet, a 13" laptop) a 7" tablet is as pocketable as a 5-6" small tablet.
Sales says Apple customers don't necessary want a bigger screen.
124. heyhi (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
im saying that "the only thing" they requested was a bigger screen and thats it...so, if this was the only thing, for some, not a deal breaker, for others it is.
10" tablet is a mobile device?? 7" tablet is pocketable?? wow, you must wear very big pants...All tablets make calls??
Even with bigger screens, OEMs are capable to make a compact device reducing the bezels.
Apple customers like You and others dont NECESSARY want, but im pretty sure that MOST of them would like to have a bigger screen.
If Apple had 2 different sized screens, the one they use today and a bigger one, i bet the bigger one would sell more.
i read a lot of articles and i remember people tried other brands just because the size of the screen and they never got back.
Lets see how long "sales says..."
130. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
"Sales says Apple customers don't necessary want a bigger screen"
that's because apple fanatics always want the latest iPhone, and if apple doesn't release one with bigger screen, obviously they will take the same screen size. Hence using sales figures is quite redundant. A poll would have been better. And most polls indicated that even iPhone fans want a bigger screen. The difference is, although they want a bigger one, they will still buy a newer model, regardless of screen size, as long as it has a half-bitten apple logo on the back.
106. Dr.Tom (Posts: 46; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Sorry but 640p resolution is NOT 720p! Its certainly not 1080p. 640p is what the new iphone is, just as it has been for the last two years. That is low by todays standards. PERIOD! You can bitch and moan all you want. You can claim bigger screen phones need better resolution, but you cant hide from the facts. Its 640p and even on that small screen its only 326PPI, was is just average, at best. The HTC One has the best screen in the market right now, at 468PPI - 1080p - super IPS LCD screen! Thats 43% better than the new iphone. You cant even compare them, cause there not even in the same ballpark. Thats a cold hard fact Martin Cooper!
112. Leo_MC (Posts: 798; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
What's the difference between 326 and 441 ppi in human eye perception?
Scientifically, please (and don't use Google, if that's possible).
123. miket247 (Posts: 81; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
1. Since when is 640p called an HD screen? 326PPI is average definition. The new level of exellence is the HTC with 468PPI. HTC One has 45% higher def., Full HD screen! No OEM Manufacturer uses such a small screen anymore because 4.5 to 5" is the new standard! Suppose you still like 26" CRT TVs compared to the new OLED 4K 50" TVs that are the best today!
2. The Nokia 1020 and the Sony Xpreria Z1 both blow the doors off the camera, optics, image sensor and pics/video of the 5S. Period. Take a look at the pics of all the three with a HiRes screen and you will understand what I'm telling. The LG G2 will also flat out beat the 5S pic for pic! Day or Night! You cant compare Real OIS images with DIS images. OIS is the best. Nokia and LG both use \OIS. Apple doesn't and it shows. But the new 5S is a minor improvement over the 5.
3. Its a TINY screen. Period. Dont know about you Girlieman, but I got a real, man sized hand and my big fingers find the 4" screen is PUNY! Your thinking is stuck in 2009 and you are so UNEDUCATED my friend. Size matters buddy, and anyone who says it doesn't sound like an idiot! Just asked your wife! She will explain it to you, you small GirlieMan!
4. Dont care about RAM, so long as the phone is fast! Moto X is fast an it has a dual core CPU with optomized Andriod OS.
5. 64 bit is a gimmick! Period! No such thing as futureproof you DumbA$$ marketing fool! No one keeps a phone longer than 2 years. And if your phone has 5 GB of RAM, only then can you use a 64bit CPU. Nobody has 5GB RAM. So its BULL$HIT!
6. Battery is the same! And thats NOT an improvement! Few hours more? Where? Use it hard, with LTE and it won't last a day! Go ahead, TRY! The Stand-by time is 10 days! Thats 9 days below the Average! Most Flagship phones last 14-15 hours usage and 20 days Stand-by time! Thats the facts and the iPhone 5 battery times ranked last out of 10 phones according to this article:
There you have it GirlieMan. Its a good phone, but Great it is Not! 9.3/10 is a load of BULL! NOT WITH THAT PUNY BELOW HD SCREEN!
6. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Haters. Haters everywhere! I don't care I love my space grey iPhone 5S!
11. kobainez (Posts: 413; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
iShip will buy anything from apple even if it has the same specs as a budget china phone. I can't type 'i' 's''h'e'e'p because PA forbide me to do it lol. What a biased apple site
15. Ninetysix (Posts: 2195; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
LOL...If this is a budget china phone, what would you call all the phones that the 5S beat in benchmarks then? hahaha
52. joey_sfb (Posts: 4981; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
The read the review it sound like an advertisement Apple would write and it's music to any IPhone user ears.
I hope Apple reward them well and spread those 132 billions of loves.
59. illusionmist (Posts: 157; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
And here we see an Apple hater in denial...
125. miket247 (Posts: 81; Member since: 16 Apr 2013)
Some ones has to buy all those 5Cheap and 5Same phones. Buy the journalist and you sell a buck load. Thats how the marketing system works. Ever hear of Payoll. Same thing here. Have $hitty below HD screen. Call it Retina Display and get those journalists to buy into the hype! Have a small screen, call it compact and ask them if they like the build quality? Have Huge Bezels, pay them not to talk about it! Weak Battery, dont even mention it! And thats how you get 9.3/10! Thats almost perfect! This phone is NOT perfect! NOT even close! Thats Marketing BABY!
114. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
How many times do I have to say it? You can't compare phones on different platforms. If the S4 or the Z1 was on Android 2.3 (equivalent in "lightness" to your IOS7) then it would probably smoke everything, including your beloved iPhone.
21. greathero1 (Posts: 559; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
They should. If all you have to offer to the conversation is an insult and name calling then they should ban you point blank. I've been on this site for over 5 years and the insult and mud slinging is completely out of control.
37. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10312; Member since: 14 May 2012)
9 million total sales opening weekend.
58. joey_sfb (Posts: 4981; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
impressive, glad Apple iPhones are selling well. Now the stock...please rise!
78. Commentator (Posts: 3570; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's like regular gray... BUT FROM SPACE! WOOOOooooOOOOoooooOOOO! Aliens!
8. wicpromd (Posts: 266; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
according to your username, you should use Nokia :D
13. bubbadoes (Posts: 727; Member since: 03 May 2012)
We all new the outcome of this biased review. Bandwagon ifans are only jumping on the gold because it's the only thing that separates them from the herd. And the ridiculous assortment of crayola crayon colors the 5c is a joke. And it's running 64 bit even more hilarious. 5s
14. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The 5S is what the 5 should've been. A more matore OS (yup, I don't like to looks either), superb performance all around with nex-gen chip, more advanced and faster camera and the fingerprint sensor that if the backdoors are shut will make good security.
As a Nexus user I can say it's a welcomed step forward by Apple. Next stop should be a 5" FHD device with the appearance open for user customization. Otherwise you can't knock the device, the Apple SW and Samsung HW just works great.
73. bucky (Posts: 2280; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
The day they put a 5" screen is the day I stop buying them.
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10312; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's a great phone, but it doesn't deserve anything above a 9. Thoroughly disappointed with the 5S.
27. greathero1 (Posts: 559; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
It definitely has its appeal as I played with one extensively in the Apple store this weekend but this would be so much better if it had a 4.5 or larger screen. That's is the only thing holding me back from trying the iPhone out.
28. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10312; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to troll.
40. KParks23 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Well lg actually did something huge battery great display stepped there camera game way up and the edge to edge display is awesome... The 5s is literally the same phone they didnt even improve the battery wtf!
54. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1324; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
It deserves it. Its an amazing android phone. I love the thin bezels which makes it look fantastic. Im ONLY disappointed by the back design which is mediocre. Spec wise its great, amazing camera, super smooth. Kudos to LG! Wish I didnt have normal size fingers and I would definitely consider G2. But for me iPhone 5 suits well. I also wish iPhone 6 will be 4.3" which is perfect for me.
20. tiara6918 (Posts: 1965; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
9.3 is too high for their rating. Although we already know for a fact that the iPhone will once again be the best selling handset against it's competitors, everything the 5s is offering is just a refresh of last year's model. This 5s is not a game changer and let's be honest here, we can see some favoritism towards apple in this review
22. Einstein333 (Posts: 51; Member since: 22 May 2012)
What they basically say in this review is that this phone is ok or good in most respects but nothing really special either. But because it's an Iphone they rate it at 9.3.
34. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's faster, smoother, more optimized and less confusing that the Galagsy S4 that got 9.3, so if anything, I don't see the score giving the 5S justice.
There's only 3 phones released in the past 12 months with absolutely no performance hiccups, the LG G2, the iPhone 5S and of course the Nexus 4. The Note III has a chance but needs to get rid of the lag, otherwise the Nexus 5 will be the only addition to that list this year. No other phone deserves to crack the 9.0 mark.
46. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10312; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You forgot the Moto X, Z1, any WP8 handset and Z10 to name a few.
24. Slammer (Posts: 1498; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
One thing for sure, Apple has a knack for making money. They spend as little as possible for upgrades and yet, people will shell out milions upon millions to purchase the next iteration anyways.
41. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
You can always create your tech site and rate it for yourself.
29. DROIDX0430 (Posts: 467; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
The reviewer is probably part of the herd..."how we know and love the home button". It's the only button since the original.
38. greathero1 (Posts: 559; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
..."how we know and love the home button". It's the only button since the original.
Wouldn't that make his comment correct. He would know it and love it because he has experience using it meaning............?
33. jove39 (Posts: 1668; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Its 8.5 at best...display is tiny at 4" and battery life is...good only for light work!
35. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3690; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
9.3 seriously? Even in most sections John you are saying that most things are same still over, IMO it should be rated below 9, see user reviews. And camera is upgraded or downgraded in quality?
Pic #28 is showing no difference and all are looking same.
Pic #24. Panorama: What happened in this photo to that Red bag guy wearing black shirt? He's half invisible..Funny... :)
42. AciMars (Posts: 23; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
dont blame PA for biased, even another site like theverge still giving higher score than other phone
47. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
far to high IMO - 8.8 at best - its a fantastic phone but its not enough of an upgrade from last year to warrant such a high rating
48. taikucing (unregistered)