Apple iPhone 5c vs Samsung Galaxy S4
0. phoneArena 16 Oct 2013, 05:51 posted on
On one side of the ring, we have the almighty Samsung Galaxy S4, the Android smartphone that’s arguably the best that the platform has to offer. And on the other side, we have the refreshed version of the iPhone 5 – what we know now as the iPhone 5c. Indeed, it’s regarded as a mid-ranger due to its price point, but that doesn’t mean it can’t hold its own ground against the more aggressive offering of the Galaxy S4. New body, same old hardware from before, so let’s find out how the iPhone 5c stacks up against the Galaxy S4!...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3059; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
S4 anyday...Android FTW...
5c is almost same in size of S4...
37. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Rather than comparing with s4
PA should compare iPhone 5c with BlackBerry z10
2. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1516; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Now compare the Galaxy S3 with the Iphone 5s.
6. x7black7x (Posts: 118; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
they are similarly priced so its okay to compare them both imo!
33. cttan456 (Posts: 61; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
In Asia, 5s is 2X the price of S3 so
NOW compare two S3 with one 5s
39. garakhan (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 Nov 2013)
You mean China? China is NOT Asia. Just because China slaps on huge import tax then their exclusive distributors charge extra profit, it doesn't mean it is worth that much.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 13414; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Not surprisingly, this has to go to the gs4, but not by a landslide.
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9071; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I disagree. S4 takes the cake by a huge margin.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 13414; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah by quite a bit, but landslide? No...
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 13414; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I think I'm judging more by how I'd use the devices, rather than by specs, which the s4 does lead by a huge margin. The user experience just matters more to me than specs alone, and the 5 delivered a great user experience, so I expect the 5C to do the same. S4 still wins the comparison though.
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9071; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Same here. Customization is the #1 reason why I use Android. I switch keyboards, use other apps by default, and able to switch ROMs whenever I please.
With the iPhone, what you see is what you get. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the mess iOS 7 is in isn't appealing at all atm.
34. cttan456 (Posts: 61; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
Why is it a sad comparison? its a good comparison because in Asia the 5c cost more than the S4. The 5s is too expensive for this comparison as it costs 50% more than the S4.
11. tiara6918 (Posts: 1696; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Now compare s3 and 5c, s3 will still win
13. alexvv (Posts: 109; Member since: 16 Oct 2013)
the whole point for a comparison is for the wolrd to see the winner and the looser. there's not even a comparison between the two. how can you phonearena conlcude tha they are equal????
14. androiphone20 (Posts: 1541; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
s3? really, idk but the last time I heard of an s3 noone was interested
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9071; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Except for the people who don't always want the latest and greatest and a great smartphone for a good price.
19. sergiobr (Posts: 435; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I have the best of two worlds, Nokia 808 for photos and S3 for everything else ! Transfers via NFC. You know it !
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 13414; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I know quite a few who still have the s3. It's a great device. Can't go wrong with one.
17. joey_sfb (Posts: 3502; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
iPhone 5c not worth the asking price. Its US$700 for 16GB.
At US$820, you can buy a Note 3 32GB. I hope Apple bring down the price of iPhone 5c to a more reasonable level.
iPhone 5s 16GB is the same price as Note 3 32GB.
Tim Cook; "We are not in the junk business"!
Apple is Really!!! Greedy!!
41. jaker12 (Posts: 2; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)
That is not true at all, The iPhone 5c is 600 dollars UNLOCKED, but around 45-80 dollars with a 2 year contract. The Note 3 is around 100 dollars with a 2 year contract, you're very inaccurate!
20. ThePython (Posts: 456; Member since: 08 May 2013)
"We compare phones of the same range."
Yeah right... compare the mid-range 5c with the high-end top smartphone SIV... Goddammit John, don't make your bias more clear than it already is.
36. cttan456 (Posts: 61; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
5c is so-called mid range because its got mid range hardware
S4 is so-called high end because of its high end hardware
in Asia the 5c costs more than the S4!
AND the 5s costs 50% more than the S4!
Great review PA, very useful to all of us in Asia and we love this!
24. Ronny666 (Posts: 108; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
Indeed a lazy review. No proper tests were done (like the battery test). Ppl will still get the S3 or or S4 of its price.
27. twens (Posts: 702; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Very stupid comparison. If the s4 is better Dan the 5c then it's better than the 5s. I personally don't see the difference between Iphone 4s,5c and 5s. They are all the same phone from Apple. Lol
31. cttan456 (Posts: 61; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
How ironic! I live in Singapore and the 5c is more expensive than the S4. Thanks to all the blind Apple fans who are willing to pay more for the 5c compared to the S4 just because they covet the Apple logo so much. S4 FTW no brainer.
32. cttan456 (Posts: 61; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
5c vs S4 is a very fair comparison because in most Asian countries the 5c is more expensive than the S4 so this comparison is very relevant.
The 5s cannot be used to compare against the S4 because it costs close to $400 more than the S4 and is in a different price league.
It's the demand that dictates such insane Apple pricing here.
Just goes to show how stupid some people are!
38. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Got the new 5s a few days ago.
I got roughly USD180 additional rebate for "returning" my >3 years old iPhone4. (released in June 2010)
You know what? The very same carrier is offering only about USD150 rebate for returning a Galaxy S3 released in May 2012.
Even worse, I'd get only USD20 rebate for returning a Galaxy K (Galaxy S equivalent in Korea) which is released in October 2010, four months AFTER the iPhone4.
And there are reasons. People should know that.
PS : And no, the offer isn't bound to contracting a new iPhone.
40. garakhan (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 Nov 2013)
Galaxy S3 > 2(iPhone 5c)
- additional SD memory
- replaceable battery
- much larger display
Which phones would techie person choose? all my engineer friends and any technically savie friends choose Androids.
All non-technical people, I strongly recommend Apple. Easy phone to use but limited and restricted.
42. jaker12 (Posts: 2; Member since: 30 Nov 2013)
f**k Apple, the iPhone 5c is a piece of s**t wrapped in plastic! And it is way to expensive! The iMac! 1,700 dollars for that piece of crap, it doesn't even have a superdrive! then you have to pay a hundred more f**king dollars for that at apple. I can get a windows 8 desktop with a touch screen, a core i7, a terabyte, 8 gb's of RAM, and a huge display, for around 1,200 dollars. Screw you apple!
43. ialex123 (Posts: 21; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Nice article..Also came across the article from gadgetride.com , which is about best 10 iOS apps.
44. mixed13 (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Jun 2014)
First things first the iPhone 5c is way better than the samsung galaxy s4 in many ways the camera the battery the screen on the 5c is beautiful and outstanding iPhone can last you all day while galaxy can only last about 5-6 hours on blast like playing games and having your brightness all the way up now I'm not just saying this because I have an iPhone 5c I'm saying this because it's true. Before I had an iPhone I had this awful phone called the Motorola photon it was terrible I hated it the camera was horrible even though it was an 8mp lies the worst thing about that phone was the battery I would be on 100 20 mins later I'd be on 40 and when I upgrade to an iPhone I said that I will never go back to android ever again and I'm not because iPhone is so much better than android and galaxy put together. #teamiphone
45. mixed13 (Posts: 2; Member since: 11 Jun 2014)
And galaxy was created by Apple boooooooooooooom #teamiphone