Apple iPhone 4S Review
0. phoneArena 21 Oct 2011, 05:48 posted on
Just like what we saw with the iPhone 3GS in the past, the iPhone 4S is nothing more than an incremental upgrade. Donning a near replica of its predecessor’s design, most of the smartphone’s juicy new features are found internally as its packs a dual-core processor, upgraded 8-megapixel camera, support for CDMA & GSM connectivity, and its innovative Siri intelligent assistance service...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
24. shayan (Posts: 159; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
actually, this is the best iphone so far. at least it reaches the other highend phones in the market. and phonearena just gave it a 8.5!!!
Im still in shock for iphone4 that phonearena gave 9.5 score.
32. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1214; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
PhoneArena gave it that score because they are Apple lovers. I mean think about it. Look back at how many articles they had for the Apple Iphone 4S vs the new Galaxy Nexus. They had more Apple articles than they did Android articles.
33. bucky (Posts: 2606; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
i think they were uber conservative with an 8.5 if you ask me. they even said in the conclusion that it deserved a 9. Its a top notch smartphone.
41. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
hahahahahahhahahahahhaha if u think this site is pro-apple you are very diceived... do u ever read comments? its kinda like a huge andrroid storm with some apple fans and some various other people (wp7, bb, bada-lol) watching... no the iphone 4 was very diservent of a 9.5... it was literally the best phone for at least half a year....
45. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1237; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Seriously. I would never call this website "iPhonearena". This site definitely has way more android fans. Even some of the writers have mentioned that they prefer android, but respect iPhone. For every iPhone article, there are 10 android. Mostly because android has more phones.
63. NeXoS (Posts: 288; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Speaking of RE-HASHED DESIGN, the first iPhone 4 stole its design from the Garmin Nuvi after it won a design award!!!
How come iPhoneArena doesn't report that???????
51. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
U r a fanboy idiot. This phone is actually quite good, you guys have to admit that while Android is more complex and customizeable, iOS is far more stable, the screen, while small is also a lot better than many efforts from Android manufacturers. Siri is an excellent idea, and the A5 chip smokes the Exynos as does the camera. Btw if you can find me lag on an iPhone 4S I will be completely shocked.
You can't deny that the iPhone 4 smoked the S**t out of everything Android released last year, except for maybe the Galaxy S, which is why they gave it a 9.5
Just because this thing is in the same shell doesn't mean it sucks, so stop wining around and accept that this thing is a good product.
11. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
and they said they woud give it a nine/ten... pssshhhh. It's freakin outdated. It's like reviewing the nokia n95 when the galaxy s i9000 just arrived.
52. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
How is it outdated?
1. Most powerful CPU-check
2. Most powerful GPU-check
3. Best camera-check
4. Most stable mobile OS-check
5. One of the best screens (Apart from AMOLED ones)-check
6. Smoothest web-browsing (no flash but who cares?)-check
I really hate it when Fandroids bash Apple
products for no absolute reason.
58. nick7237 (Posts: 5; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Most android fans have never used an iPhone for more than a few minutes so they can't really judge the phone. Android and WP7 would never exist if apple never created the iPhone, and android would probably not be as far as it is if Eric schmidt wouldn't of double crossed apple. Android would be as far as WP7 is right now. And who came out with the tablet first(apple), and who copied it (android). It's easy to see who the innovators are here and who copy's other companies. ICS copied a lot of iOS5 features.
It's obvious who sells more devices and repeatedly gets the best reviews. The iPhone 3GS came out with iOS3.0 and now has 5.0. I can't remember any android devices that have got two full point updates, even the nexus devices only get one update.
The 4S is a huge update internally.
3GS: 600MHZ CPU/ SGX 535 GPU-256MB RAM
4: 800 MHZ CPU/ SGX 535 GPU- 512MB RAM
4S: Dual core 800MHZ CPU/ Dual core SGX543mp2 GPU 512MB RAM
And a 64GB option.
AirPlay, wired mirroring (1080P) and AirPlay mirroring(720P) are some of the most simple and powerful features unique to ios devices. I could go on but I don't need to. Android users don't like iPhones cause their jealous.
250million iOS devices sold, each with satisfied customers.
61. tahnik (Posts: 188; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
No Flash support in the web browser
No Facebook integration
No proper widgets for the lockscreen
No USB Mass storage mode for uploading content to the device
No haptics for the touchscreen
No Bluetooth file transfers to other phones
64. thebikerboi2 (Posts: 144; Member since: 01 Apr 2011)
dude you just proved this guys point about androiders not using an iphone for anything over a minute
76. gain1998 (Posts: 11; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
I think you should probably know...
iPhone users don't necessarily care too much about Flash support... and in case you hadn't noticed this had been posted in the positive comment you negatively responded to.
iPhone users don't care about FB integration.
iPhone users don't care all too much about proper widgets for the lockscreen.
iPhone users don't care about USB Mass Storage mode for uploading content to the device
iPhone users don;t care about haptics for the touchscreen
iPhone users don't care about transferring files to other phones through Bluetooth
What iPhone users DO care about are reliable, dependable phones, with outstanding reputations. They're not looking for all these different features. And if you ARE looking for these features, then this is OBVIOUSLY not the phone for you. Keep looking.
67. RandomRobbieGuy (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Nov 2011)
The iPhone is outdated. People buy and use it because they don't care about their phone. Or because everyone else has one. I have had every iPhone in all colors. (execpt the 4S) I keep buying them because i am used to them and know them just about inside and out. Nothing changes. OMG! SIRI....like for real. think about it in your daily life. I have the iPhone 4 and don't use voice control. You can never expect the newest and best tech from apple. I don't know why people are so attached to the iPhone. Android is amazing i have had one. Blackberry... no its not business like really at all......just because they have email. I am returning to blackberry for the keyboard. iPhone 4S is a piece of crap and not worth the upgrade.
Hey apple where is the keyboard.....oops
big nice screen.....nope
68. robinrisk (unregistered)
1. It is not the most powerfull CPU. Dual core @800Mhz is not better than the exynos at 1.2.
2. GPU, i do not know much about it, so i'll give you that one.
3. Best Camera? Best camera in an iPhone that is, there are several smartphones with a camera better or just as good as the iPhone's.
4.Most stable Mobile OS?. My photon has never given me any force closes, WP7, Blackberry and Symbian are just as stable.
5. One of the best screens. Not the best though, ain't it? SamoledHD FTW =)
6. Yeah.... without flash even the low end handsets have a smooth browsing experience. Plus, at 3.5 inches, it is not as confortable as in an Android device.
73. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
1. Actually the dualcore A5 chip @ 800MHz is far more powerful than the Exynos in terms of I/O.
2. I am right
3. No the 4S\' camera really does beat everything else by a longshot
4. No they\'re not
5. you are probably right
6. Right again =)
82. Gdrye (Posts: 110; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
samsung Galaxy has a quad core graphics processor, so i wouldnt let them have that one
85. TheDog700 (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Apr 2012)
Time for the nine year olds to go to bed, the adults are talking.
Some of you probably do not know what software does. iOS is obviously not as laggy as android which is why you don't need a 1.5 ghz proccesor for it to run smoothly. Yes there are some great android smartphones out there. But the iPhone 4s functionality and preformance are on par or better than these other phones. For the average consumer, functionality is all that matters.
What I am saying is that you can have a 4ghz proccesor but if it has horrible software it won't be functional.
And for the record, the ppi on the iPhone 4s is currently the best on the market and the color accuracy is the best or one of the best on the market.
86. dmckay12 (Posts: 243; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Xperia S and HTC Rezound have highest PPI, while having bigger screens.
3. Tatperson (Posts: 58; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Great job phonearena, you were not so biased this time round. It didn't score higher than 9 points unlike other dual-core phones. Keep it up :)
20. henrickrw (Posts: 408; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I own both (The Galaxy S2 & the N95 8GB) - Beleive it or not, I still love my N95 8GB & it´s brand new still.
I agreed with your statement tough. It was time for Phonearena to judge the 4S how it deserved to be... A good phone but not the super...
4. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Same phone from last year but they still charge you $700-$800 for the unlocked version.
21. henrickrw (Posts: 408; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
That the other issue. Apple products are just too expensive dude. They are still charging 800...Even downhere in Latin America it´s more expensive than the GS2
5. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
should've been 8/10 because the looks and screen didn't budge.
46. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1237; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I agree. Those are the things people notice the most.
6. manuell3g (Posts: 66; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
iphonearena to me were still biase. watch reviews on most android phones that dont come with any major changes or even the one they did on the galaxy note.the reviewer was talking as if he was so much disappointed in the product. yet you can feel the satisfactory in their voices when they review an iphone...they can bash android but to me even a midrange droid is still better than a highend iphone simply bcos of the os.android is just uhhh.
7. krysis (Posts: 76; Member since: 14 Dec 2009)
i think it more has to do with the fact that they don't get to review as many iphone's as android devices. so it's probably rather fun for them to get their hands on it, compared to say, an htc phone on at&t that has the same specs, hardware, etc. as an htc phone on sprint that they reviewed less than a month ago. the design may be different but i'm sure it can get rather repetitive. and this would be coming from an android user anxiously awaiting the galaxy nexus :)
8. Eingild (Posts: 203; Member since: 19 Apr 2011)
I'm somewhat surprised that PA gave this a score below 9.