Amazon FireTV Review8
We have no issues recommending the FireTV, but the question really is does the FireTV make sense for you? For those who already have a streaming box we just can’t think of a compelling reason to add a FireTV to your lineup unless you really want the gaming capabilities, and remember you’re paying a $40 extra for the gaming pad. For those looking to purchase their first streaming box Amazon makes a compelling argument, especially if you’re a Prime member, but the Roku Streaming Stick offers Prime video access and all the other content for half the price. What it comes down to is that neither the FireTV nor any of its competitors offer a killer feature right now to truly set them apart. Amazon hopes that impressive hardware, some neat software tricks and gaming capabilities will make the FireTV your choice, but at the end of the day we can’t say the argument is compelling enough to make it a clear cut winner.
- Impressive hardware specs lead to a lag-free experience
- Voice search works as advertised
- Gaming with the FireTV goes beyond what anyone else can offer
- Limited internal storage
- Gaming controller is an extra $40 on a device is already at the top of the price range
- No killer feature to make it a must have
1. ryan5609 (Posts: 106; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
Waited awhile to see exactly what this thing would be capable of. Though I am impressed, the lack of Google Play services, HBO GO and the price (it is a fair price, but $65 more than a Chromecast) turned me off. I went with a Chromecast instead. The gaming feature is nice, but I have a new PS4 and have no need for a cheap secondary console.
2. bestmvno (Posts: 249; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
In what way does it support DD+? The roku 3 allows passing of DD+ signals to a DD+ capable receiver so I'm not sure the Fire is the only box to support DD+.
3. UglyFrank (Posts: 1305; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Would've expected an S800 since that is what they use in their tablets.
4. downphoenix (Posts: 2979; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
It is half the price of the tablets, so that probably has something to do with it.
I wish there was more Chromecast app support, because I am thinking that something like this or the Roku feels needed even though I already have a Chromecast, due to its lack of apps that support it.
5. alinuxer (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Apr 2014)
I had a chromecast and I did get the Amazon Fire TV, the Fire TV is way easier to use and setup to get American channels such as US Netflix , Hulu Plus and the likes ... see thevpn.guru/unblock-american-channels-amazon-fire-tv
6. confin222 (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Oct 2015)
The fire tv is only 74.99 on amazon right now.