Alcatel OneTouch Hero ReviewAlcatel OneTouch Hero 8.7
Detailed, but soft – two words that summarize the 13-megapixel rear shooter on the Hero.
True to its high-end ambitions, the Alcatel OneTouch Hero packs a 13-megapixel camera with an LED flash and auto focus capabilities. The camera interface itself is very pleasant to use, as it's full-screen and controls are simplistic. HDR and panoramic modes are available, and the end results are pretty satisfactory. Unfortunately, speediness is not among the qualities of the shooter, as its average at best under the default settings, and downright slow when taking HDR snaps.
Speaking of snaps, those come out in great detail – images are rather soft but look very natural. Exposure and colors are also very natural and pretty accurate. Better yet, the Hero takes pictures of decent quality even in very low-light situations, though its LED flash can't illuminate too much of the scene.
The Hero is capable of 1080p video recording at 30FPS, delivering decent quality with quick follow focus.
1. Alcatel OneTouch Hero Sample Video
2. Alcatel OneTouch Hero Indoor Sample Video
Up at the front, we found a 2-megapixel unit, that produced some pretty satisfying results.
The Alcatel OneTouch Hero is, hands down, a true pocket-sized media hog.
When it comes to playing multimedia content, the Alcatel OneTouch Hero is king. Simply put, video playback is top notch, thanks to the capable chipset, but mostly – the giant 6-inch, 1080p display. The screen is so immersive, that you quickly forget that you're looking at your favorite movie on a pocket-sized device. Best of all, the simplistic, but sturdy, built-in multimedia apps do the job just fine, so a trip to the Play Store is a matter of choice.
In terms of audio reproduction, we had no complaints – sound fidelity is decent and the mono speaker is actually pretty loud, without causing nasty distortions.
Headphones output power (Volts)
Higher is better
Loudspeaker loudness (dB)
Higher is better
2. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I find Alcatel's UI one of the best looking out there. Respect! :0
5. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Agreed, mix of iOS 7, Windows Phone and Touchwiz. Looks great.
9. MrKoles (Posts: 368; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
I would leave out iOS because it is the copy of Touchwiz itself.
22. zacsaturday (Posts: 199; Member since: 09 May 2014)
Agree with the touchwiz part, wish it had the multiwindow and air view though
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I agree with you there. It's elegant and clean.
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nice phone, the only let down is the underpowered Mediatek processor. I like the UI though.
4. datphoneguy (Posts: 154; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Agreed...the Mediatek processor is a bit weak, but otherwise this looks like a pretty awesome phone...and $399 is a pretty amazing price for what you get IMO
15. shahrooz (Posts: 700; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
Alcatel one touch Idol X+ is gonna be awesome I think
6. geodude074 (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Is this phone even on sale? I can't find it anywhere, not even on eBay.
If this phone isn't even on sale yet, how could they review the phone without discerning that this is not a production model?
Production models are always different from pre-production models. Maybe the lag and the stutter that the reviewer encountered were due to pre-production glitches that they're still smoothing out.
8. datphoneguy (Posts: 154; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Companies usually give out review models to select reviewers before official launches - this may be one of those cases.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
... Or maybe it could be due to the MT processor?
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If it had a S800 processor it would have scored a 9.3 or higher.
13. Haridenberg (Posts: 27; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
If it was even S600, MT's SoC is just plain weak
19. Glouba (Posts: 3; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
Less expensive to score over 9.0, draw an apple on the back...
14. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
... so why not a 9?
The sentiment of the review translates to a 9, especially price tag considered (the Nexus 5 is about the same price, faster but runs dry like in half time, cheap build quality, bad speaker and it got 9.5).
16. skyline88 (Posts: 436; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
if Alcatel keep on going like this, i foresee the doomsday of Samsung / Sony / HTC
21. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1067; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
And if Vivo, Oppo, Meizu, Lenovo, ZTE, etc. go on like they are too.
17. kevkyle (Posts: 96; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
though am still rockin' my ascend mate, i just might get this phablet to replace my mate .....1080p versus 720p
...and that flip cover - sweet ", )
18. Furbal (Posts: 882; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Fix that UI bloat and I think this is a winner.. Way to go TCL
23. mirexcool (Posts: 65; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
Bought at Aliexpress. Satisfied! s.click.aliexpress.com/e/VJ2rjEMrZ
24. ravilla (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Oct 2015)
This is Rag.. I have bought 2 Alcatel One Touch Hero .. both are infected with Virus.
Both are at service center now, its been there for 20 days. The service also worst.
Security system is worst. I give negative rating to alcatel -5 .. If you guys still want to buy its upto you. f**k alcatel
- I am from Malaysia , Kuala Lumpur