Alcatel OneTouch Hero Review
0. phoneArena 14 Jan 2014, 08:46 posted on
It's been a few months since Alcatel, the face of Chinese TCL for the western hemisphere, presented the stylus-equipped OneTouch Hero, and we finally had the chance to test out and marvel at this massive, 6-inch phablet. And while the gorgeous 1080p IPS panel is definitely the highlight of the Hero, humming underneath are some none too shabby internals, like a quad-core MediaTek chipset, healthy 2GB of RAM, a 13MP rear shooter, and two SIM slots. These are some rather compelling specs on paper, ones that put this device in the high-end phablet league. But, how do they actually translate into the real world?...
This is a discussion for a review. To read the whole review, click here
2. PorkyBurger (Posts: 203; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I find Alcatel's UI one of the best looking out there. Respect! :0
5. ihavenoname (Posts: 1312; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Agreed, mix of iOS 7, Windows Phone and Touchwiz. Looks great.
9. MrKoles (Posts: 300; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
I would leave out iOS because it is the copy of Touchwiz itself.
22. zacsaturday (Posts: 16; Member since: 09 May 2014)
Agree with the touchwiz part, wish it had the multiwindow and air view though
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7647; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I agree with you there. It's elegant and clean.
3. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5151; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nice phone, the only let down is the underpowered Mediatek processor. I like the UI though.
4. datphoneguy (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Agreed...the Mediatek processor is a bit weak, but otherwise this looks like a pretty awesome phone...and $399 is a pretty amazing price for what you get IMO
15. shahrooz (Posts: 111; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
Alcatel one touch Idol X+ is gonna be awesome I think
6. geodude074 (Posts: 67; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Is this phone even on sale? I can't find it anywhere, not even on eBay.
If this phone isn't even on sale yet, how could they review the phone without discerning that this is not a production model?
Production models are always different from pre-production models. Maybe the lag and the stutter that the reviewer encountered were due to pre-production glitches that they're still smoothing out.
8. datphoneguy (Posts: 138; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Companies usually give out review models to select reviewers before official launches - this may be one of those cases.
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7647; Member since: 14 May 2012)
... Or maybe it could be due to the MT processor?
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7647; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If it had a S800 processor it would have scored a 9.3 or higher.
13. Haridenberg (Posts: 27; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
If it was even S600, MT's SoC is just plain weak
19. Glouba (Posts: 2; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
Less expensive to score over 9.0, draw an apple on the back...
14. _Bone_ (Posts: 2106; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
... so why not a 9?
The sentiment of the review translates to a 9, especially price tag considered (the Nexus 5 is about the same price, faster but runs dry like in half time, cheap build quality, bad speaker and it got 9.5).
16. skyline88 (Posts: 308; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
if Alcatel keep on going like this, i foresee the doomsday of Samsung / Sony / HTC
21. Neo_Huang (Posts: 330; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
And if Vivo, Oppo, Meizu, Lenovo, ZTE, etc. go on like they are too.
17. kevkyle (Posts: 62; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
though am still rockin' my ascend mate, i just might get this phablet to replace my mate .....1080p versus 720p
...and that flip cover - sweet ", )
18. Furbal (Posts: 256; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Fix that UI bloat and I think this is a winner.. Way to go TCL