Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 User Reviews

Text input6.2/10
Everyday usage7.4/10
UI speed5.4/10

Thohean
posted on 20 Jul 2012, 10:22 (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)

Good phone | Lack luster camera

Thohean has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I really enjoy this phone. It's still my current phone and it does everything I need. I upgraded form a Sony Ericsson K790a and was expecting the camera to be as good or better, but it's not. The camera in the 'a' version is lower quality than the 'i' version, but no 3g support in the US for the 'i' version.

Thing to remember with this phone is that it is basically an HTC phone.

Camera 4/10 Works good in bright sunny lighting, but gets fuzzy fast as the light deminishes.
UI speed 5/10 528MHz cpu in WiMo 6.1 was a bit laggy. 6.5 seems to run better.
Everyday usage 9/10 I use this phone every day. I get phone calls, text and email. I check the weather radar and BBCnews RSS. I sync my google calendar with the outlook calendar and I use it as a media play in my car via bluetooth. Easy one touch access to the radios(cellular, bluetooth, wifi) and flight mode.
Text input 10/10 Brand new, the keyboard is amazing! the screen tilts up and is easy to see while typing. As the keyboard ages though, it gets harder to type on. keys don't register or sometimes repeat. Seems to be an issue with all Sony Ericsson phones. K790a and K750i joystick had issues after about a year of use.
Display 10/10 The display is the perfect size. High pixel count, yet not so masive in size I can't put it in my pocket.
Battery 7/10 Standby time is awesome. Longest one charge I got was 1 week. Average useage gives about 2-3 days and full on internet usage about 5 hours.

Pros

• slide out qwerty keyboard
  • ambient light sensor for automatic screen brightness adjustment
  • front-facing camera

Cons

• Resistive touchscreen
  • Low quality camera (Megapixels doesn't tell the quality of the pictures)

Nao_The_One
posted on 09 Mar 2011, 11:49

Good but not the best

Nao_The_One has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone is very good I love the windows options, that's over the common mobile operative systems allowing the complette control of the phone options and programing.
But I dislike the speed of the OS, the battery life, the text input that mark 2 or more times the keys, and the worst is the camera, SE was famous by the perfect cameras but in new phones that feature is not the best.

Pros

• Allows multiple OS as windows, linux, android..
  • Allows fully syncronization with windows and office
  • Work in any host without drivers instalation
  • The google maps option is just perfect
  • The office editor is a very valuable option
  • Allows messenger, skype, google talk and more...
  • Allows manage the windows options like a computer

Cons

• The bad camera
  • Don't have an equalizer
  • Don't have the minimize window option and a taskbar
  • Just by USB when is off
  • The battery is heavy but not allow more than 1,5 days of use
  • Multimedia consumes battery in less than a day
  • Don't turn the display automatically and don't have an acelerator

Mr.Tonov
posted on 18 Feb 2011, 06:03

Good business phone

Mr.Tonov has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Overall it's a great business phone. It's easy customisable to fit your personality. Built in GPS is amazing if you have the right software installed - like iGo 8 or Google Maps. The screen is great for watchin videos and even movies.The camera is great for it's 3.2 megapixels especially for outdoor photos. If only it wasn't running windows mobile ....

Pros

• high quality display with great resolution
  • very customisable
  • universal charger and headphones
  • the qwerty keaboard

Cons

• crashing and freezing at times
  • slow response time at times
  • hard to press the edges of the screen

SUBZERO
posted on 03 Feb 2011, 17:23

Is better another, BAD camera

SUBZERO has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I bought this phone 2 years ago, and i can to say all about it.
Now i want to change it for another with Android. And much better camera.
The flash is useless, night pictures are the worst.
For to watch videos is very slow, and for to see pictures too.
Dont has acelerometter.

Pros

• Has a lot of apps
  • Good music sound

Cons

• Useless flash for camera
  • Bad quality of pictures
  • GPS slow
  • Phone very slow
  • Alarm Clock not operational if phone off
  • Very bad for to watch videos from youtube
  • No accelerometter

GusDeCooL
posted on 31 Dec 2010, 00:41 (Posts: 0; Member since: 31 Dec 2010)

GPS Death, Keyboard not good

GusDeCooL has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Have this 1 already for 1 year. sad, my GPS not working anymore also my some button after several time use not function properly. The handset death too, Charger is making sound when charging... Feel really bad, the first phone i have with OS, now is the first phone make me feel bad :(

Build quality 1/10 Poor GPS, now it's didn't functionnaly
Call quality 9/10 Until now i didn't see any problem
Multimedia 5/10 I not focus in using this
Camera 2/10 Indoor photo not good :(
UI speed 7/10 Installed Theme addon to make me not bored. Xpanel not really make me better
Text input 1/10 Button "M" not function after much use! thank to "fingerkeyboard" help me to use screen board
Display 9/10 Screen is good
Battery 9/10 Good

Pros

• Great Track Pad

h377grl
posted on 07 Nov 2009, 17:03 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Nov 2009)

Love it!

Build quality is awesome. Phone is used on daily basis there are no scratches yet, i don't use any sock or silicon cover just phone + keys + pocket. I have dropped it on bitumen once :) still no cracks. Panels feel a bit slow when switching, but panels itself are great and fast. Windows mobile is not the best solution, i have had already two situations when i had to soft reset the phone, apart from that no major dramas.

Pros

• Build quality
  • Panels
  • Sound quality and reception
  • qwerty keyboard

Cons

• Windows Mobile :(

Tom Reyano
posted on 07 Nov 2009, 15:10

defect, defect, defect

I can start with this: Don't have this device anymore, returned it after several issues:First: The famous crack. The quality of the plastic used in this phone is rubbish really. Got a crack after a few weeks on the side right next to the battery. Returned it to the store and got a new one. This one I had for 1 week, and it froze up, went completely black. Returned it again. They repaired it, had to wait for 5 weeks to get it back (good service at the store, though, and got to borrow a phone meanwhile). When i got it back, I had it for about a month before touchscreen fu*d up. Some places didn't register my touches, so I occationally had to use the middle button to reach. I returned it (again) and asked for my money back, which was a bit of a hassle but I got it at the end : ) Bought myself a HTC touch pro instead. Never had any trouble with that one.

Pros

• Despite the quality, the hardware performance is good.

Cons

• Build quality is horrific :(

Viper89
posted on 07 Nov 2009, 00:32

Worth every penny

Coming from the Motorola Rokr E6 which had a 2.4  240x320 resoultion screen, 2mp camera, no flash, or auto focus, no wifi, only CIF video play back but the E6 is one the best  touchscreen of its's time I was able to play Doom expansions, Quake, sega,sns GBA. The X1 has an amazing phone defientely reccomend it.

Pros

• HD screen
  • 2 Camera's : Font and Back/HD video recording
  • Wifi
  • Modding
  • Mouse pad
  • GPS
  • Qwerty keyboard

Cons

• chips easily when dropped :(

posted on 21 Aug 2009, 00:22

Great phone, great design, great UI. Probably one of the best 850Mhz UMTS capable handsets out there. Solid, durable (8 months of heavy use, dropped several times) and easy to use. The only gripes I have are signal strength (WinMo), alarm clock (can't operate if phone is off), and charging (no on screen charger info if off). This phone will really stand the test of time, its only flaws were of price and delays, now 9 months after its release, its here and working, well enough to hold me over for more months to go (I switch phones often).

• Stainless Steel
  • High Res Screen
  • Panel Interface
  • 1500Mah Battery
  • Camera actually has a flash (take that HTC!)
  • Keypad is beautiful
  • Has a North American model with EU 3G 850/1900/2100 and Quadband GSM

Cons

• Weak signal due to WinMO
  • Camera could have been better at that price point
  • Alarm Clock not operational if phone off

BillyG
posted on 09 Aug 2009, 17:01

Good hardware, sucky OS...

Hardware wise, it's a great phone. Solid build, I've been kicking it around for a few months now and no issues. I love the hi-res screen, it's so sharp. It might be a touch on the small side for some people. The keyboard, I've heard some complains about it, but after some use, I think it is great (at least for a dinky keyboard like this). It's way faster and more accurate than the iPhone that I also have here. Battery life is good, more than acceptable, as long as you're not heavy on the Wi-Fi. It's amazing they could pack so much into such a small package compared to only a couple of years ago.
Software? OMG, this is the first WinMo phone I have ever owned. It will also be my last. Guaranteed. I never knew how bad WinMo could be. It truly, truly cripples what could've been a stellar phone. Obviously it isn't just me, as nearly all the WinMo phone manufacturers slap their own interface on it to try and hide WinMo as much as possible. The Xperial Panels themselves are a good idea, and to be honest, once I've configured it to my liking, the SE panel is almost perfect. I can get almost everything done without having to leave the panel. (I still have to drop down to WinMo to SMS, which ... sucks). There are a few times which things are slightly laggy, but nothing that annoys me too much. Your usage pattern may make it more or less annoying, depends on how often you swap panels.

Pros

• Great hardware.
  • Very sharp screen, almost the best out there.
  • Lots of nice features.

Cons

• Windows Mobile.
  • Windows Mobile.
  • Lack of apps compared to iPhone.

posted on 20 Jul 2009, 07:50

Great phone, only problem is WinMo's weak signal strength, lack of edit number before call for your contacts. Aslo has weak WiFi signal intercept. Another annoying thing is the lack of support of visual caller ID through WinMO. Further annoyances are WINMO not being able to turn on your phone for an alark clock, and no on screen charging indicator, it also takes 10 times of turning on to drain the battery, sorta like an old school phone. Camera is also a litte dissapointing. BUT AT LEAST IT HAS FLASH, HEAR THAT HTC????????? LOL

All in all a swwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttt phone. Don't hesitate to buy, stainless steel goodness

Schmao
posted on 05 Jul 2009, 15:35 (Posts: 302; Member since: 05 Jul 2009)

Almost Perfect

After a while of using it, I have to say that this has to be one of the best WM phones out there. It's touchscreen has excellent sensitivity. It has a 3.2 megapixel camera with focus and flash, wich usually produces nice crisp images. So far its camera is only second to the Samsung SGH- i900 Omnia, which my brother has, and I have also used, in the WM category. The optical mouse is nice while browsing the internet, and even useful (for me that is) during regular usage. The QWERTY Keyboard is lovely, nice and spaced. If you want a fantastic phone, you should add this to your list. However, if you're in the US, where there is no carrier for this phone, the price still remains quite high. Even so, this device still competes with devices coming out today.

Pros

• Interface
  • Performance
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Internet
  • Battey life

Cons

• Price (unlocked/US) is High
  • Not many more that I can think of

posted on 24 Jun 2009, 16:42

xperia x1

this phone is great but there are a little things that could have been better. this phone looks great, sounds great and feels even better!

Pros

• keyboard
  • screen resolution
  • track pad
  • looks
  • arc slider
  • xperia panels

Cons

• resesed screen
  • screen too small for windows mobile
  • interface
  • no accelerometor
  • touch screen keyboard
  • cracks around edges

kkjm1972
posted on 21 Apr 2009, 21:20

Sony is spectacular

In the 1990's, I remember Sony being one of the top Television producers, being featured on local ads, and being enthusiastic about its products from Japan. For more than a decade, I personally saw what sony had to offer. I love Sony's products, especially their laptops, because my Vaio has been running for 4 years without one repair needed. My Sony TV has been now running for over 6, without any fuzzy vision or often repairs. Anyways, the XPeria X1 has the same Sony promise. I have the X1i, the American Version. I bought it near Christmas, while on vacation to NY, for 740 USD. Before I bought it, I really thought to myself, is it worth it, is it worth the nearly $800 pricetag? It sure is. I was set to buy a Nokia N95-4 Bronze, since my buddy was offering me a meare $300 or so dollars, but after speaking to the Sony store rep, and reading reviews on my laptop (using WiFi in the hotel room), I was able to actually save 50 dollars by redeeming a coupon code, so that was actually worth meaning. Trust me, the xperia is really good. Even though this review isn't including lots of tech specs, I'm putting my word into it saying how Sony is the best of the best.

Uraz Farukh
posted on 16 Jan 2009, 08:07

XPERIA X1

It's not a very nice phone especially when you are shifting from the E90 to a Windows platform. Took we 4 days to really start liking it. Main feature which was there before the pre launch not there and that is really disappointing, the business card scanner. The Mobile network was hanging the first day but the problem disappeared on it's own. Internal memory is very little and that's a big disappointment.

Monsieurx3m
posted on 18 Dec 2008, 00:10

Beaware

I got the opportunity to check out the Xperia X1 phone recently on my visit to the neighbouring Sony World Showroom. I was hoping for a multilingual  interface(especially Japanese-similar to the iphone 3G) amongst other things which included a fast user interface. I found that the user interface was slower than what I had expected. On tyring to find out the reason, I stumbled upon an interesting fact-The RAM, which is advertised as 400MB is divided into two parts of approx 200 MB each-for programs & the internal Operating System. As the phone I was playing around with was straight from the factory(i.e. no additional softwares installed), it had approx 40MB space left for the OS & 90 MB for the programs. This probably made the interface, including one of the screensaver-A cute Gold fish UI where the fish react to your touch. The phone is also slow when going from the horizontal to the vertical mode(the sensors take time to indentify that the phone is tilted, hence you would have to wait for a couple of seconds before you can see the shift-This also gives you time to slide the keyboard & get ready to type!
To my dissapointment, the phone does not have a Japanese multi-lingual interface, although it supports major european languages(including German & French) but the T9 support appeared to be ONLY IN ENGLISH, even after I spent almost an hour trying to figure out a way to try & change that. Also, the handwriting recognition & notes function are solely...

Pros

Cons

• No non-English user language Interface(like Japanese)
  • T9 support only in english(Not sure whether American or British)
  • Lack of lens protection
  • No leg support for resting phone on surfaces-The body & lens comes in direct contact with the surface
  • Face highly sensitive to fingerprints
  • Internal memory divided-Read review*
  • Phone & UI is slow-Read review*

mm
posted on 08 Dec 2008, 15:39

great

IMO, This phone is great. Great camera, great QWERTY keyboard, great design.

SB
posted on 22 Nov 2008, 14:17

It's a great phone.... XPERIA1 is the first Sony Ericsson to run on Windows Mobile and the first of the X series. It is high-end device with large WVGA touch display, side-sliding design with QWERTY, integrated GPS, WiFi and quad-band GSM with quad-band UMTS.......

Atanas
posted on 15 Nov 2008, 20:14 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Oct 2008)

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 is a great phone. It's runs on WM 6.1 with good Panel interface. 3.2 megapixel camera with flash and autofocus. I realy like the optical tpackpad. I don't like that XPERIA doesn't have internal memory like iPhone and OMNIA and the screen is smaller. Overall great smarphone.

Pros

• Great screen resolution
  • Great trackpad
  • Good qwerty keyboard
  • Good interface

Cons

• Small screen
  • No internal memory

Buy This Phone