Verizon Wireless G'zOne Boulder User Reviews

Drake
posted on 05 Aug 2008, 12:33

DONT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrible sound quality is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't for hte life of me understand most coversations with this POS phone! What on earth was verizon thinking????????? RECALL RECALL RECALL

Returning this failure and going back to my G'zOne Type V.

FIX THIS VERIZON!!!!!!!!! FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jarn
posted on 05 Aug 2008, 00:50

5.6

G'z Stinks

I lost my Old G'zone Type V one week before this rendition came out, so it was only natural that I'd want this newer phone. I imagined myself with a better version of the Type S, (which I passed on)...

A little back ground on me - I am a kayak instructor and raft guide on a whitewater river where I spend most of my days in and out of the water. I enjoy my work and enjoyed several months with my original G'zone Type V tucked safe inside my life jacket always on and always in good shape.

I took the Boulder along for one day of kayak instruction and two days of rafting and was startled when I saw moisture condensing inside the displays (front and back), after the first day. I had problems editing contacts (phone crashed when attempting an edit) and I'll also add that the phone's construction is shotty at best!!! The flip top on mine wiggles side-to-side back-and-forth quite a bit which causes me concern every time I look at it, (others in the store also have this problem).

I want to love this phone because it's smaller and lighter (not sure if that's good) than my old Type V, but apparently Casio has skimped us on this up grade, trading in the ultimate durability that I imagine the US mil standard implies for market shares and margins all built on the popularity of the previous models ... I hate it but I'm going to return mine, and wish for a new in the box type V on eBay...

As a side note: no matter how shock proof when you loose a phone you loose a phone (my beloved type...

J.S.
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 22:20

3.8

There should be a recall

Sound quality is so bad on this I don't know how it got sent out. Battery quality is perhaps worse than sound quality. Unless they fix these two things, which is a hardware issue, I don't see a good future for this phone and I see verizon having massive headaches with complaints. I'm going to return mine, maybe for the adventure.

What verizon should do is offer a recall to people who bought it. people want the concept of this phone, and vz will potentially lose longtime customers unless they go out of their way to right this.

Breck
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 16:54

4.6

Casio please fix this phone.

As much as I LOVE this phone, or at least the idea of this phone I'm sending it back and I'm bummed for sure as I waited 3 months for it to come out. Sound quality is VERY POOR. Sound is very muffled coming from the ear piece and people I talk to say that quality on their end is poor also. Reception is not the greatest either. Can not get the ringtone to change as its hung on Verizon default ringtone. Casio/Verizon PLEASE fix this super cool phone. As cool as it is..As a communication device its not very good. So based on the above I would highly advise NOT to get this phone unless Verizon works out these issues.

The not cool stuff--

Flashlight
Shock resistant

Randy
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 16:04

who gave this thing the ok???

Just switched my company to verizon from nextel and got the gzone units. WOW what a dissapointment for a third generation you would think they would have this thing dialed in WRONG! Now i am going to have to switch to the only other thing verizon offers for construction type companys the motorola v750 and judging by the reviews im screwed. The main thing wrong with the boulder is the sound clarity, it is very muffled sounding. If the person on the other line is not a very clear loud speaker you will never understand them. Another major issue is the location of the speaker, it is on the back witch would be ok but the phone clips into the holster with the face out so the speaker is coverd by the plastic holster. this muffles the ringer making it harder to hear on the noisy job site. And why would you have the phone face out of the holster? that is were alot of abuse will be taken by the phone in the work field. this is just our observation after 1 day of use, i didnt even get to deal with the software issues. Overall this phone looks pretty cool but that is were it ends, i need a phone that can get the job done in a working enviorment and this phone can not do this because of very major communication problems. if i cant hear the person on the other line nothing else matters!!!!!!! I can only imagine this phone will need to be recalled and the speaker revamped.

mudslinger83
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 11:30

i like it

i just picked this phone up at circuit city...and i dont understand why everyone is complaining bout sound quality and call quality...i can understand everyone loud and clear my previous phone was the moto krzr and i cant tell no difference in call quality, the signal strength is great...i havent seen how good the battery is yet...but i doubt that it will be very good...but so far i really like the phone...the only things i dont care about much is the bluetooth volume is awful i had it on high and could barely hear the other person but then again it could just be my bluetooth its older than dirt so a new one may solve the problem...and the speaker is in a bad place its never a good idea to put the speaker in the back of the phone...so there is my review

Chappie
posted on 04 Aug 2008, 10:34

4.4

Chappie

Just got this through company channels last Thursday -- and I can't wait to send it back. My only question is what phone to go with now...

I wanted badly to like this phone as I researched the previous G'zOne models and eagerly awaited what seemed like the perfect size for a 3G edition. When I took it out of its package, I found an attractive, rugged phone that seemed very well built.

The first problem I noticed was that I was unable to change the ringtones for all the contacts I imported through Backup Assistant. Not a deal-breaker, but annoying.

Second, I made my first call. Terrible sound quality, so bad I wondered if mine was defective until I read other reviews. Worse by far than the Nokia I owned in 2000. Eight years later... Every call I've made I've needed to ask the person on the other end to repeat themselves several times.

Third, and perhaps even worse than No. 2, the battery life is terrible. Fully charged and after one call and a couple of texts, it dropped down to three bars. I took it to work, and a couple hours later it was down to half strength, its only usage a couple more texts.

Yesterday with light usage it lost almost a complete charge in less than a day. My previous two phones -- especially when brand-new -- stayed charged for days of normal usage. Even now, my dying, cracked, taped-together LG VX 8300 has about the same life as this one, and its battery has never been replaced.

Can't say I've ever been more disappointed with a cellphone than the Boulder,...

Leo
posted on 03 Aug 2008, 22:02

I have this phone for 5 days now. It is rugged phone that also looks good. I experienced two reset in first evening when I added and modified few contacts. Since then it works good. No reset, no dropped calls, strong signal strength. Hinges are durable and seems like can take two years worth of usage. Front screen is STD but still visible in direct sunlight. I am not talking much and in those 5 days maybe talked for an hour all together but with PTT turned off, I still half battery left (which is impressive for me). Selection of ringers are some poor (but it is VZW fault and not a phone). I have black/orange one and it looks very nice. Also charging cradle is also very convenient way to charge a phone instead of pulling charging port cover every time. Sound quality is ok for my taste. Ringer is loud enough and vibrate is strong enough to feel it when phone is vibrating in your jeans pocket. I am not planning to submerge this phone but often enough I will find myself to talk on the phone under the rain (and no umbrella). Also it gives me confidence that now I can go with my kids on all water attractions and not to be worried to have this phone to get wet. All in all, I am having with it and would recommend it.

posted on 03 Aug 2008, 21:36

Awesome Ruggedness

ok so this is durable, i have had it 3 days and it has been in the deep end of the pool 2 times(6FT) and NO problem.. it does muffle the speaker once coming out of the pool how ever once it dry's it goes back to normal loudness. AND yes the battery does move alittle. This is not a phone for everyone but a good phone

PRO's

Durable
Flashlight
Waterproof Music player
Orange and Black :-D

Cons

Battery life does suck (car charger solves that)

Luke
posted on 03 Aug 2008, 20:26

3.6

Total POS phone!!!!!!!!!! DONT BUY!!!!!

The Boulder blows the call clarity is so awfu you can't even understand anyone talking on this thingl!!!!!!! I can't believe verizon released this damn phone. what a joke. DONT BUY

Adam Clark
posted on 03 Aug 2008, 17:25

3.6

DO NOT THROW YOUR MONEY AWAY!

The new G'zone phone is a total waist of money, in my opinion. The sound quality is horrible. You sound like you are talking through a digital computer connected, mixed with a train wreck...

Also, the battery won't last a day even when the phone is not being used.

The phone seems to be durable, but a phone is primarily used for COMMUNICATION. If it has horrible communication, why have a phone?

I will NOT be recommending this to ANYONE and would highly suggest steering clear!

Will
posted on 02 Aug 2008, 16:43

Great phone, terrible sound.

I rated this phone based on what it is supposed to do, not compared to a Blackberry type phone. I REALLY wanted to like this phone. Water resistant, great looks, simple, compass, flashlight, camera. The basic concept is exactly up my alley. I'm looking for simple, rugged and functional. This phone provides that but its spoiled by one major flaw. The ear speaker is terrible, to the point of being difficult to hear someone sometimes. I would explain the sound as muffled with a low tone without highs. The phone I had before was a LG phone of similar clamshell design and the sound from it was far superior. Being my only phone as I don't have a land line phone I need good sound. Sadly it looks like I will be sending this one back.

Justin
posted on 02 Aug 2008, 11:53

Nice Phone

Just got this phone yesterday, just like it should be, durable, sturdy, slimmer and more feature packed then previous versions.

PROS
well built
slimmer then previous g'zone phones
microsd card slot
stereo bluetooth
newer os/ shortcut menu
320x240 display
great speaker phone on both ends

CONS
Ear piece could be louder but not a serious issue
on occasional calls on speaker phone sounds muffled all other sound great

Overall i am very pleased with this phone should last a long time. would recommend it to others

miles d.
posted on 01 Aug 2008, 16:55

good phone

this phone is pretty sweet, its durable and definetly waterproof like the type-s and type-v. the sound quality when talking to someone is good, its really loud though. the ringtones play really quiet though even when on like medium volume. the battery life sucks though it lasts about a day of texting and like 30 minutes of calls, dissapointed in that seeing as how the type-s lasted like 5 days. the sound quality when playing songs is alright. sometimes when i try to send pictures, it automatically resets itself after and thats quite annoying.also, my battery seems like it moves a little bit in the back, to you guys who have this phone turn it over to the battery side and press the top right or left corner, tell me if it goes up or down at all. very durable construction that is for the most part. some of the keys have a different feel when you press them but whatever. camera is definetly better than the VGA on type-s.

p.s - to you guys who said the phone resets when you try to edit existing contacts...? mine doesnt but w/e

the orange one is definetly the best thats what i have :D

bryan
posted on 01 Aug 2008, 11:59

Boulder OK

Nice phone. The sound quaility could be a little better. I too have a problem when editing contacts and the phone resets. Hopefully the fix for that comes out soon.

jason
posted on 01 Aug 2008, 10:42

3.6

I want to like this phone but the truth is there are to many software problems that hold this handset back.

Pros

Very well built nice hardware construction

Cons

Poor audio when through ear speaker
Software is buggy: Phone will reset if you try to edit existing contacts.
Ring tones will not hold if you choose another ring tone the original Verizon default tone plays.
Pictures taken with the camera fill only 70% of the screen when chosen to display as wallpaper?

iseeyou308
posted on 31 Jul 2008, 19:18

6.4

not bad

I just got this phone today and moderatly impressed.
its a lot lighter than i thought it would be.
it has some ok features, compass and stuff like that.
signal strength wasnt a good as i hoped..
speakerphone is ok, it crackles when you play music
the ear speaker is not good.. i dont know if i got a bad phone but it crackles when it picks up a high noise on the other end.
i have not tested to see how tough it is, nor will i.
i have known too many people that "tested" the last version and it broke on them.
i havent tested the PTT yet. i dont know anyone that has one.
this is a business phone, so dont get it if you play music and heavy txting.you will be dissapointed

overall, its ok.
i have a month to play with it.