Verizon Wireless Casio G'zOne Rock C731 User Reviews

Camera6.8/10
Multimedia6.2/10

Stilly
posted on 18 Jun 2011, 22:12

Good phone, poor choice of mic location.

Stilly has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

ONE thing that I see all phone reviews MISSING is that if you have to use your hands and you tend to pinch the phone between your ear and your shoulder while trying to talk, you cover up the MIC and then you sound like crap to whomever you are talking to. It IRRITATES me that just about every phone review that I have seen has completely missed this very important part of the phone. Casio should have relocated the mic to a different spot. Also, I kept seeing reviews that say the phone had a battery life of around 30+ days or 400+ hours or something like that. BS! the phone lasts about 3 days before it needs to be plugged in again... Having a bigger battery would be nice. Cause you have to fight with the usb o-ring cover in order to get the charger plugged in. I am mad at all of the reviewers that have failed to mention this. I DO like the flashlight and the outdoor apps though.

Build quality 8/10 Poorly designed mic location. Low battery life. Hard to charge if you have no fingernails.

Pros

• Feels solid
  • cool graphics
  • Flashlight feature is cool
  • outdoor appz that are loaded are really cool.

Cons

• battery life sucks
  • mic location sucks
  • charger cover sucks

Mike
posted on 21 May 2011, 15:17

Software Problems

Mike has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

So aside from most of the other issues I have read here I have a couple more.

Everyonce in a while my main screen will go black and will not come back on for quite some time. Sometimes leaving it plugged in will bring it back. Sometimes taking the battery out and restarting it works. There are many different things I've tried that occasionally work, but it's different everytime.

Now my other problem is with the alarm clock. My previous Gzone alarm could only be turned off by touching a button. This one however seems to get shut off by touching the front screen as well. This is a problem because you do not have to be totally awake to just brush the screen.

I have 3 months until I can get an upgrade, But being as the screen has gone black and nothing seems to be working to bring it back, I dont think I am going to be able to wait.

Build quality 7/10 My hinge cracked after 4 months.
Internet 2/10 Too slow.
Multimedia 2/10 Too slow.
Camera 5/10 HArd to clean the lense.
Text input 2/10 Too slow.
Battery 2/10 Does not last long.

Pros

• Great durable phone.

Cons

• Too slow.
  • Software Problems
  • Hard to find accessories.

amberlynnbarnes
posted on 29 Mar 2011, 00:42 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)

Casio: The Rock

amberlynnbarnes has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

After about six months of having this phone the charger wouldn't work when plugged directly into the phone,so i have been using the dock and as of five hours ago its not working either. I have had this phone since December of 2009, I have taken care of it like a mother would a baby, I know this because I am an aunt, and well this phone is horrible. Don't buy it please for the sake of your sanity.

Pros

• gagets

Cons

• Battery and all that intells

tyler
posted on 01 Dec 2010, 19:03

Great phone, Horrible charger

tyler has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

it is difficult to get the phone in the charging cradle and my front display comes on randomly all throughout the night constantly waking me up. but other than the charging problem this is the best phone i have ever owned. i would recommend it to anyone who is rough on phones after losing FIVE phone to water i now have the rock

Pros

Cons

• charger

HobieSailer1976
posted on 27 Oct 2010, 14:44

Tides are not based on GPS coordinates

HobieSailer1976 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

OK I'm rugged on my phones, drop them, they get wet, I live on the ocean most of the time! Onr of the features i was excited about was the tides, carring my phone is easier than carring around tide charts all the time! Well the GPS will tell you where the closest tide is however in my case it's over 75 miles away! As any sailor will tell that's not even close to what the tide is near you! I figuerd I could even do some math but there is not one location in the sound! Also the lunar calendar is handy for hunting and fishing, but moon rise and set would be nice too! Another thing it's learn words in error and I can't figure how to erase them in the T9 dictionary

Internet 1/10 Don't use it
Multimedia 1/10 Don't use it
UI speed 2/10 No clue what the UI speed is??

Pros

• GZ Gear Features

Cons

• Tides are not local

Matthew Mortensen
posted on 28 Sep 2010, 19:55

Dont buy this phone

I previously owned the g'z one (and am currently using it again) The battery performance became week and the rock was cheaper than a new battery.  After my first rock's speaker phone died (among other things) I received a new one from Verizon. The new one and the old freezes up and is slow like a computer to load different pages. This morning my phone fell from my lap in my Isuzu Trooper to the pavement (4 feet) and exploded into three parts The screen separated from the keyboard. Done. My G'z one fell from a thirty foot mast on a fishing boat bounced on a steel deck (loosing battery) and then fell another 10 feet to again a steel deck. I climbed down put the battery back in and turned it on. It got pinched in the hinge of my wives trunk and went down a water slide. The G'z one still works with reduced battery life but it's not in pieces. Don't buy the bolder, rock or whatever phone they introduce, they will be playing on the first editions rep.

Pros

• the name

Cons

• cheep plastic, Breaks easy charge cradel failed two days after I purchased it! slow prossesing

Suzzanne
posted on 11 Sep 2010, 05:44

Luv that Casio

I luv this new Gz One Rock, seems to do all that it is supposed to do with ease, including testing and email.  I had/have a Gz One, the first one that came out, I have stored it for a backup.  I have had no trouble, concerns, problems with any of the Casio's.

Pros

• Ease of use: text/email, durability

Jake0474
posted on 06 Sep 2010, 17:49

I Love This Phone!

I love this phone. If you are an outdoor person this is the phone for you. If you are a text and app nut get a smart phone, and don't waist your time with lofty expectations for this unit. I have kayaked, canoed, swam, etc. with my phone with no problems. My kids play swimming games by dropping my phone to the bottom of an eight foot pool. I do not recommend this as it is not built for this depth. I have not had the voice quality problems that others have mentioned with this phone. I use the gz gear quite often and comes in handy for fishing and camping. I only have two small qualms with this phone. It would be awesome to be able to take a picture with the phone closed using a side key. The other is this. I use a solar charging device for some of my other gadgets. Due to the unique charger design there is no way to adapt the charger to this phone. This would greatly simplify extended trips away from civilization. Not limited to camping but also would be an asset on mission trips to third would countries or even to areas where charger adapters are required.

Pros

• WATERPROOF!
  • gadgets

Cons

• Unique and limited charger availability

jah
posted on 20 Aug 2010, 21:03

Does what it says it can do..

This phone has been great I am around the water and boats alot so I needed a waterproof cell phone it is definately that. those who posted reviews saying the ROCK died from water damage must have had a faulty one or maybe one of the ports was not completely closed before immersion. I have put mine in a fish tank for ten minutes with the power ON and called it. still works. froze it in a block of ice(power OFF). still works beautifully. the phone doesnt have many features and texting kind of sucks but hey its not a smartphone. The only thing I have noticed is sometimes one of the red arrows on the front screen will stay on when I close the phone and have to open and close it to get it to shut off. Overall it does everything it is supposed to do so im happy.

Pros

• WATERPROOF
  • rugged
  • GZgear

Cons

• texting
  • not a standard headphone port

Tailinonthefly
posted on 08 Aug 2010, 14:47

Casio G'zOne Rock NOT WATERPROOF or Resistant.

I have owned two rocks and also all of casio's past waterproof phones. I was very happy with all of the previous versions, except for one where the screen wasn't glued on all the way and it leaked from there, but other than that one phone they were all great. The Rock is a cool phone with the Gz Zone app, but other than that. the phone gets horrible slow if you don't constsntly delete all text messages. My first rock i droppen on my first pool step for like two seconds before i pulled it out and it was off.  Tried to turn it on and the sound of somthing scrammbling came from inside then i smelt burnt elecrtonics.  so i went  and had to pay $50 to get a new one through insurance, but now i got stuck in the rain with the new one in my pocket and now it doesn't work at all. I think maybe the spring loaded lid may be where the fault is. when you are making something waterproof don't make so much extra crap. I am not so lazy i cant flip my phone open myself.   Don't EVER buy this phone. The Motorola Barrage is a much better phone. What happened Casio???

Pros

• Gz Zone App

Cons

• Not water proof, product that no one stands behind. Waste of time and money

Cam
posted on 22 Jul 2010, 10:17

Casio g'zone Rock

Quick backround: I used to have the G zone Boulder, that got runined and I was given a "equilivent" phone from verizon because they didn't make the boulder anymore. Well it wasn't quite the same. Anyway, I finally got the Rock because I work at a pool and knew i would use the water resistant feature often. I dropped it in 3 feet of water for twenty seconds and it stopped working. I went to verizon to get a replacement but since it was "water damaged" I would have to go through insurance and pay the $50 deductiable. I checked the casio website and they say the phone IS water proof for UP TO thirty minutes in 1 meter (3.2 feet) of water. My problem is Casio not standing behind their product. The Boulder I used to have was amazing. This Rock seems to be a worse version. I will never purchase this phone again. I did like the walking counter and compass. Those were nice features to have.

Pros

• "dust" proof, rugged, can handle several drops

Cons

• NOT waterproof.

RCMCH
posted on 13 Jul 2010, 14:12

Casio G'zOne Rock has issues

I have had this phone for about a month and like the G'zOne Gear features.  However, I have several issues with the phone which are likely Verizon issues more than Casio issues but should be addressed.

I am a very frequent user of the calendar alert feature to remember almost everything (yeah, age issues).  Unfortunately, the alert feature does not function the way my previous phones (most recent LG VX 4650 for 6 years) operated and cause me to miss reminders.

1) When adding an alert for the future I must change BOTH the start and end time.  Previous phones started out with 30 or 60 minutes seperating times and automatically adjusted the end time forward.  Now I have to go through 2 time steps to set an alert.
2) The default "Alert Time" is 15 minutes before the set time.  When I set an alert I usually know when I want it to go off and am forced to adjust the time to account for the 15 minutes offset or change the setting to "On Time."  This is an extra step that would be nice to customize.
3) I have not found a way to snooze a Calendar Alert.  Previous phone would snooze for 5 minute intervals upto about 30 minutes total.
4) The color contrast when adjusting time/date setting is horrendous.  They use a black background for the screen with a dark blue square around the number being adjusted with the numbers with black.  Black on dark blue is very difficult to see. ...

Pros

• G'zOne Gear

Cons

• Calendar Alerts

RonB
posted on 24 Jun 2010, 08:22

Great phone, Terrible charger

I've had this phone for about a month.  It seems well built and works well except for some occasional delays in starting up when opening.  I'm not sure what the designers were thinking about when they designed the charger or if they were thinking at all.  It is terrible.  It worked fine the first time but rapidly went bad to the point of not working at all by week three.  When I returned it to the Verizon store the tech there told me they were all that way and suggested using the very flimsy USB charging connector.  When I told him that the Verizon help line recommended against this since that connector is easily broken and could ruin the phone, he agreed.  They replaced my charger with one that seems to work much better but the tech warned that it would likely fail within a few weeks due to the poor design.Basically this phone is like a great car with a broken or faulty gas filler cap...works great when you can put gas in it but that may be very difficult soon.

Pros

• Seems very rugged

Cons

• Charger quickly becomes unusable!

formula233
posted on 08 Jun 2010, 14:35

Good Phone Bad Alarm Clock

Great phone not going to go inLastto detail. Problem is I use my phone as my daily alarm clock. This thing will not go off sometimes. They cant get it to not go off at the store so I am SOL. Lucky I usally get up b4 the alarm goes off any way but about once a week it just doesnt work????????????????? I be lay there waiting and it doesnt go off. sound on, alarm on???  I had the G=zone 2 years b4 and had traded it in for the same problem. I ended up with a motrola adventura and the alarm never failed for the last 2 years. If you dont need it for the alarm its a good phone.

casio rock
posted on 29 May 2010, 21:22

casio rock

Have had this phone for a  month.  not a bad phone have not had any of the problems list in the other reviews! the only problem I have had is with data I wish verizon could get their towers switched over evdo it is strange that the phone works fine in areas that have been switched to 3g . I love the gz tools and the camera with flash.

Pros

• long battery life gz tools

Cons

• data in my home area

Casio
posted on 16 May 2010, 12:21

Casio Rock

Have had this phone for several weeks so far I like the phone The design of the phone looks like a tool of of Batman tool belt . I also like the gz gear apps. The only down fall  the phone will not run animated screen savers real well if has a lot of graphics .

Pros

• cool design

R. Whitehurst
posted on 12 Apr 2010, 07:22

Everythiing but the charging dock...

I've had this phone for a month now and basically have enjoyed it. I'm right handed but usually listen on my left side because hearing is better for me there, so I have occasionally "bumped" the outside buttons but haven't had any interruptions in the conversation other than the beep sound. My one issue is the charging dock which came with the phone: a good idea being as the charge connection is so small and does not easily go into the slot on the phone, but...the dock seems to be designed with emphasis on presentation and not function. It sets the G zone like a jewelry store window display, with all the design elements right out front, but it's a two handed operation to get the phone just right in the dock so it will be charging. I have yet to be able to just put it in the dock with one hand and have it start charging. There should have been some sort of guide "bumps" on the phone or the dock should wrap a little more around the phone so that it guides the phone into position, or the dock should be just a drop-in-the-hole sort which guides the phone to the charge position.

Pros

• Charging dock is good idea

Cons

• Charging dock is poorly designed

Jack Donohue
posted on 08 Apr 2010, 20:23

Solid Phone

I've owned the Rock for about two weeks and so far I have liked basically everything about it.  One complaint that I do have is the slight delay when texting or using the keypad for anything.  For instance if I press clear the screen might take a few seconds to clear or the same when typing a word in a text.  When i bought it I thought it was going to be to bulky to carry in my packet but its been fine.  The GZ Gear on it is sweet!  Its got a great large front screen which makes checking the time really easy. Has Nice loud sound quality and clear pictures.  The light is also a really cool feature.  So far I really like my new Rock

Pros

• Easy open button
  • Loud sound
  • light and gear
  • durability
  • Its BA!

Cons

• slight delay on Keypad

J.D.
posted on 06 Mar 2010, 10:48

the G'z rock is a great phone if you work outside. i'm an aircraft mechanic and the phone has fallen off the wing of a     C-130 onto concrete and is go'n strong.  i've never had a phone that could withstand my job.  the phone has gone through the creek, fallen off the boat(allways tie some fishing line to the phone) been run over by a peterbuilt, had a truck hood shut on it.    ALL I CAN SAY IS IT'S A GREAT PHONE.

Pros

• durability

Cons

• none. i don't need a usb cable

fire80
posted on 09 Jan 2010, 15:22 (Posts: 0; Member since: 09 Jan 2010)

First impressions Review

Just got this phone and have had it for three days, so this review will reflect that. First impression of this phone is good. First off addressing a couple of  issues that other people have had with this phone.  As far as not having ESPN on your phone, if  you are that big of a sports fan find out if that phone is capable of having your specific program and as far as the alarm clock not having a snooze button once again check that feature out before you get a phone or I am guessing that you still have your old phone, dedicate it to be your alarm clock. So to me those "issues" are truly not issues. Sorry I will get off my soap box. Now down to the phone. This will be long but it is a review and I am now how I am when I go to research something so here goes.

Looks- This phone looks like an gadget off of Batmans tool belt. You like it or you don't. I personally like the looks. The front of the phone is a flat black rubberized coating. With a full rubber texture battery cover on the back, as you can see from the pictures. I am a fan of flip phones and have used a razr for some time now. This phone is bulky compared to it. As in the pictures, on the back of the phone there is an extended flat peice that holds the camera and flash that adds to its bulkynes, which could be bad for size but for funcutionalty is great. (will explain later) The rebberized coating does not cover the whole phone, the inside is still plastic. With this being new to me I don't...

Pros

• Design/looks
  • standby time
  • gadgets gzone
  • Battery life standby

Cons

• delay in front lcd
  • tin can sound when talking
  • no usb cable

lael
posted on 03 Jan 2010, 20:00

CASIO Gzone rOCK

Due to the nature of my work I go through gear like no ones business.   To put things into context...I use only Panasonic toughbook PCs in the field...all others fail...they are worth the money oif you work in the outdoors.   I have had the rock for about 1 week.  I had the first generation of the Gzone...whatever....dumb name...anyway...the first generation of this phone was great for about a year until it took a fall that was over its drop rating.  Still...it was great other than no bluetooth.  I had verizons \"replacement\" before the rock came out...it was crap and died on me after about two months.  I work in the outdoors as an archaeologist and product tester for outdoor gear so if it anyone will break it I will...so far the rock has performed well...again, I say so far.  I chose verizon because of friends and family free...but from my experience the Nextel motorola gear outperforms everytime for rugged enviro.  We will see.  So far... I see no lag time with the phones response to opening and such...other user above...maybe you got a bad phone.  Anyway...so far no problems here.  I will post later.  If this phone doesnt hold up as it should.

Pros

• Dont know yet

Cons

• Dont know yet

melissaisme
posted on 31 Dec 2009, 11:43

The Rock

Unfortunately for poster Kaya, this phone nor any that I know of are intended to withstand a child playing with it. Keep your phones up away from your kids!!

As for backing up contacts, there is always backup assistant. The phone is also capable of SD storage to transfer pics and videos.

Pros

• Tough build
  • Meets military specs
  • nice camera

Cons

• USB not included

Tom_098
posted on 29 Dec 2009, 10:54

Outstanding phone with very good design features for normal day to day indoor and outdoor use.  Most gripes are from the same individuals who aren't satisified with any new technology or phone which isn't heavily promoted my marketing hype!  IT'S A PHONE AND WHEN USED AS SUCH IS A VERY GOOD CHOICE FOR VOICE COMMUNICATION - IF ONE HAS TO TEXT AND EMAIL THEN USE A NETBOOK!

Pros

• ExcelNlent telephone design for normal and hard use.

Cons

• No USB cable or included software for phone use, e.g., contact backup, pictures/video or adding custom ringtones.

Samuel Meyers
posted on 19 Dec 2009, 02:21

Casio Rock

This phone is awesome despite what all these people say. The voice quality is great, all the buttons are fully functional. This phone wasn't meant to be a gotty, sleek, intellegent phoneit was meant to get the job done. Everything aboutthis phone is awesome. All i gotta say is that this phone is an all out beast.

Pros

• Flip button.
  • Clarity
  • Durability

Kaya
posted on 18 Dec 2009, 08:02

2.3

major disappointment

So I have been waiting for this newer version of the G'zone boulder to arrive for months.  I have a one-year-old who loves to play with my phone and finally destroyed it, but this phone promised to be a drool-proof, drop-proof, chew-proof design....Built to military specs and all, right?  Well, with all due respect to our military, I hope that is a just a gimmicky line of crap, b/c if it's true our bravest are in trouble!I was so excited to finally buy this phone, but from the day I got it, I hated it.  There are MANY issues.  First and foremost - and most annoying- is the D-E-L-A-Y whenever you push a button ... waiting for the phone to    do    what     you    told      it      to.  UGH!  It drives me nuts!  I have counted to nearly 10 seconds before getting to the screen I selected.  Then there are the side buttons.  The push-to-talk button interrupts every text I try to write, and there is no way to de-activate it.  The time is never immediately apparent either; if you want to see what time it is, you may as well open the phone b/c the side buttons don't light the screen, they tell you to push other buttons first.  Just more annoyance...Then there's the contact issue.  I dialed my own house the other day and it didn't even recognize that it was a pre-programmed number.   ?????  Seriously?Voice...

Pros

• looks durable
  • cool gzone gadgets
  • nice picture quality

Cons

• DOESN'T WORK!
  • SIGNIFICANT DELAYS
  • POOR VOICE/SOUND QUALITY
  • BUTTONS ARE DISRUPTIVE
  • ALARM DOESN'T WORK WELL