T-Mobile G2 User Reviews

Battery9.6/10
Reception9.9/10
Display9.9/10

Diablo2424
posted on 13 Aug 2014, 09:50 (Posts: 12; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)

Great all around phone - will last years to come

Diablo2424 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone was a great successor to the G1. I had this phone for many years, while everoyne else was upgrading they're iPhone every year or BlackBerry every few months, I would just throw on the newest Android ROM and keep going. This phone lasted me years, which is rare in this industry. It held up great physically as well, the hinge ended up a little loose from opening and closing it all the time, but still worked great the day I sold it.

gr33n
posted on 04 Dec 2013, 08:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)

One of the best phones around even today.

gr33n has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This phone was one of my favorite phones.
It was a great step up from the amazing G1. I loved the hard keyboard and was one of the few fast *at the time* phones with a fold out keyboard. I guess the hard keyboard is just a preference thing, some people hate it some love it. The little thumb track pad thing was a nice alternative other than touching the screen and smudging it up. The build quality of the phone was great! Everything worked! My only real gripes were that the battery cover door started to peel this clear thing plastic stuff and like most phones the speaker phone kind of sucked. I had a few friends who had screen issues with theirs and had to return or replace them. I never had too, even after years of use my screen stayed crystal clear. .
I cannot comment on the data connection because I had this phone unlocked to use on ATT network. But the Wifi was great I never had an issue with speed.

Other than the battery cover and the speaker phone I would and have recommend this phone to anyone. HTC did a great job and I was sad leaving ATT to go to Sprint and leaving my G2.

Build quality 9/10 Battery door started to peel.
Call quality 9/10 Was hard for people to hear my on speaker.

Pros

• build quality
  • hard keyboard
  • touch track pad
  • nice UI
  • Fast

Cons

• batter door
  • speaker phone

Cyndie Fan
posted on 04 Apr 2011, 19:41

something wrong when i go on youtube on my G2

Cyndie Fan has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Ok so everytime now I go on youtube on my G2 it's soooo slooooow when it comes to watching a video. It was working just fine til like on Saturday. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should do?? I even took the battery out so that it would go faster but it just went slower :( pleeeeease help!

Pros

• its an awesome phone and i love it :)

Cons

• YOUTUBE IS SLOW ON MY NOW!!!! :(

Antoi20011
posted on 09 Mar 2011, 19:31

I LoVE MY G2

Antoi20011 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

The t mobile g2 is the best android smart phone. I ever own from t mobile its very fast hspa+ 4g is supperr fast I love the keyboard android 2.2 works great flash player is the best I tell everyone leave att and verzion and join t mobile for a great phone G2

Pros

• very fast, phone android 2.2 big screen
  • Hspa + 4G

Deadeye37
posted on 25 Jan 2011, 10:17 (Posts: 76; Member since: 25 Jan 2011)

Mini Computer

Deadeye37 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Coming from a "feature" phone, this phone is awesome! I love the fact that you can download a ton of different apps to make the phone fit your lifestyle. I use a task manager and turn off Wifi, GPS, & Data while the phone is in my pocket. With those set, the phone battery lasts for a few days (with light to moderate usage).

Streaming video looks great. The PSX4droid emulator runs awesome. The video seems like its really good quality. The camera doesn't act as fast as I like, but that's what my DSLR is for.

The phone is solid feeling in the hand and the Z-hinge keyboard is really robust feeling. I love this phone!

Build quality 10/10 The phone feels solid in the hand. Its got a good weight to it. The Keyboard&Z-hinge feel very high quality
Reception 10/10 I get 2 bars more reception for problem areas than I have had with my previous phones.
Call quality 10/10 Everyone sounds good on the phone. People who I talk to say that my voice is clear on the call.
Internet 10/10 Full Internet browsing with flash enabled browser. Add HSPA+ speeds and you got a winner
Multimedia 10/10 Screen looks crisp & bright. Streaming video is also very smooth. Almost like watching it on TV.
Camera 9/10 Picture quality is good. The flash works great. There is a slight delay from pushing the shutter button to when the picture is taken.
UI speed 10/10 Very fast and responsive. Even with a bunch of widgets running, accessing apps & playing games is smooth.
Everyday usage 10/10 The ability to download & configure the widgets that you want to fit your life style makes this phone really powerful. You can also get other widgets to make this phone help you (alarm clocks, eReaders, etc.)
Text input 10/10 Swype makes text entry in portrait mode easy. The landscape keyboard for more complex entry is very well layed out and is very easy to type with.
Display 10/10 The display is crisp looking. The colors are bright. The glass on the screen is solid feeling.
Battery 10/10 This all depends on how you use the phone. I don't need my phone to keep pulling updates from the network/wifi/GPS constantly while the phone is in my pocket. Turning these services off really help the battery life. I can get 2-3 days of good use by being conservative with my battery usage. I'm not a heavy user, though.

Pros

• Great Screen
  • Solid phone all round
  • android market & widgets help a lot
  • keyboard & Z-hinge

Cons

• None really...

Doni
posted on 15 Jan 2011, 21:17

BEST ANDROID OUT!

Doni has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

AWESOMENESSSSS. What can I say this thing is amazing. Overclocking this thing was easy and makes this thing a beast. Overall everything is perfect and beyond what u would expect on a phone. I did miss the tethering at first but there is a way to get wifi tethering enabled like how it should be on froyo for free. amazing phone

• UI
  • Apperance
  • Wallpaper

Cons

• To smart for me.

ThatHarlemKat
posted on 05 Jan 2011, 21:51 (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)

From Nexus One to G2

ThatHarlemKat has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I lost my Nexus One in a cab while visiting family in NYC during the Christmas holiday (Engraved Garry J Murray on back) Anyway, I figured to make the most of my misfortune by replacing it with a Nexus S "upgrade" I went into Best Buy and had my first up close, hands on with the device and changed my mind. It is a light, plastic, cheap feeling phone. No HSPA+ (4G), NO SD memory, No deal!. It just reminded me of my sister's galaxy S. I instead went to T-mobile and picked up the finely designed, well crafted HTC G2. A beautiful phone that more closely resembles the Nexus One than the Nexus S does. Feature rich, wi-fi calling, mobile hotspot, 4G, physical keyboard, can expand to 32 GB. Best decision I could have made. I really WANTED to like the Nexus S, it just fell short in my opinion.

Pros

• Styling
  • Responsiveness

isobane
posted on 05 Jan 2011, 21:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)

I

isobane has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

This phone takes the cake (with all the apps out there....probably literally!) Having been one of the "early adopters" of the Android brand with my T-Mobile G1, I have sat through some tough times. Seeing so many phones come out with specs that blew my G1 away I had to sit tight and resist getting an EVO, Nexus One, even an iPhone. I was tired of suffering with my underpowered phone, and DAMN am I glad I waited. My G2 goes with me everywhere and does almost everything for me. It is my alarm clock that wakes me up, and it has a white noise generator (White Noise from the Android Market) to help me go to sleep. The HSPA+ network it rides on (which isn't even fully implemented in my market but it allows for lightning quick data speeds) is amazing with connection speeds that peak upwards of 6 Megabits.

Build quality 10/10 A REALLY solid phone. I keep mine in a case when I'm out and about, but when I'm home the case comes off and I just enjoy the feel of it.
Reception 10/10 In my basement of my condo I get full service/signal. Never dropped a call.
Call quality 10/10 Calls on the speaker, headset, speakerphone and bluetooth all sound phenomenal.
Internet 10/10 This thing peaks at speeds faster than my old cable modem. Do I need to elaborate more?
Multimedia 10/10 HD Youtube, HD video recording. On a big screen. Nice.
Camera 10/10 HD. Nuff Said!
UI speed 10/10 Even before I overclocked my phone it was insanely fast (especially when you consider the 800Mhz processor.)
Everyday usage 10/10 This thing gets used more than my laptop and desktop combined.
Text input 10/10 I bought it for the physical keyboard, but with Swype pre-installed I barely ever use it. Whichever way you want to go it is easy.
Display 10/10 Its so pretty!!!
Battery 10/10 I should vote this down some, but the reason my battery drains fast is because I don't ever put this thing down! You won't either!

Pros

• Physical keyboard is there but unneccessary
  • LED flash is super bright (find the app Torch)
  • HIGHLY customizable Android homescreen (ADW is amazing)
  • Vanilla Android OS, no ugly UI "enhancements"
  • Rootable/overclockable
  • Large, brilliant screen
  • Fast Fast Fast Fast

Cons

• Physical keyboard is there but unneccessary
  • Doesn't actually have the 4gb of internal memory as promised (at least not available to users)
  • Volume rocker on side is a bit larger than necessary

isobane alternatives:

nintenbeer64
posted on 29 Dec 2010, 19:58 (Posts: 0; Member since: 29 Dec 2010)

Adorable, Awesome, A++!

nintenbeer64 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Got this for christmas haven't been able to put it down since. It seems complicated at first but once you know how to use it its the greatest thing ever. Use the widgets and the quick launch shortcuts and you've got an iphone killer.Download vinegette, andrawing,opera,note everything,ebuddy a to do list and last.fm radio and you have yourself a device to make your laptop jealous :)

Build quality 10/10 feels ridiculously solid. Keyboard shortcuts are amazing. METAL. Such a stud of a phone ;)
Reception 10/10 Gets reception in parts of my local hill billy walmart... haven't had a phone that could do that before.
Call quality 10/10 prank calls on this thing are the bomb :)
Internet 10/10 This is the best part of the phone! Internet is fast and nice. Get the opera web browser app if you want to download music off websites like 8bc.org and youtube-mp3.com straight from the phone.
Multimedia 10/10 Takes pics, plays music and online radio like a champ :)
Camera 10/10 Crisp and clear with flash and plenty of effects (aqua, posterize, black and white, sepia, so on) download vinegette demo for more effects! If you wanna draw on the pics, get andrawing!
UI speed 10/10 blazing fast! If you wish to breeze from app to app go to settings, applications and then go to quick launch and start setting your favorite apps. The phone will seem so much faster that way!
Everyday usage 10/10 Switches through tasks like a pro. The phone is tough. Keyboard does not hinder to cheese doodle dust. Google voice inbox can sometimes be hard to navigate from time to time, but its something one can get used to.
Text input 10/10 Four ways to do it: swype, dictation, touch screen keyboard (landscape or portrait) && real physical keyboard. I love my options. Nuff said.
Display 10/10 Big, bright and not constantly burdened by a virtual keyboard every time you need to type. This makes internet browsing 10x better than any phone without a real keyboard.
Battery 10/10 You can get six hours out of it with constant use of wifi, the web browser, and last.fm radio with maximum volume.

Pros

• physical keyboard
  • excellent browser
  • can download music straight from the phone (with opera)
  • keyboard shortcuts
  • feels great in small hands like mine
  • amazing camera
  • great for prank calls
  • can handle several apps at a time
  • all the google preinstalled apps are great
  • stock android means we get the updates first ;)

Cons

• google voice is a little slow at times
  • Physical keyboard has no greater than or less than symbols.
  • no front facing camera, but so what?

angle2009
posted on 23 Dec 2010, 06:06

i love my g2

angle2009 has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I love my g2 its fast good keyboard wifi calling internet surfing is very good good battery life and come from a my touch 3g its very a big improvement over the g1 and my touch 3g i hope that the g2 gets 2.3 I also like it because its Balkans android so that means update are faster

Pros

• very fast, phone
  • 4g is fast
  • good speaker
  • good keyboard
  • android 2.2

Domi
posted on 14 Nov 2010, 20:54

Best Phone I have ever Had

Domi has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I love this phone its the best Android I have ever Had!! I got away from android because I felt like they werent stepping up, but now they STEPPED IT UP!!!!!!!
I love Tmobile G2!!! It feels like a phone, but the "Z" hinge really worries me tho...
But I still love it!!!! Its just amazing!!!

Pros

• Amazingly fast speed
  • GREAT INTERNET!!
  • HSPA+
  • It feels like a PHONE!!

Cons

• "Z" Hinge
  • Battery life is a bit short

balson myface
posted on 06 Nov 2010, 18:38

schibby

balson myface has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

phone is awesome right out of the box. the batter life is not to great until you change the brightness of the screen. after that the battery lasts longer before you need to charge it. great phone glad i retired my old phone and got this. i would defiantly recommended this phone

Pros

• internet
  • android phone
  • performance
  • crazy fast
  • keyboard

Cons

• speaker is a lil quiet

zq
posted on 02 Nov 2010, 21:25

don't worry about the guy under me

zq has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

don't worry about the guy under me. he doesn't know what he is talking about and probably has never held a smartphone EVER. He just brought down these ratings. this is definitely the best phone offered by any1 of the 4 major us carriers. heck i am pretty sure it will kick the mytouch 4g's behind too. well yes forget about the guy underneath me and if u r considering this phone u should know its worth every penny.

zq
posted on 31 Oct 2010, 13:13

AWESOMENESSSSS

zq has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Big T
posted on 27 Oct 2010, 17:56

SICK PHONE!!!

Big T has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

This phone is awesome. Its fast right out of the box, and you can make it even faster by overclocking the CPU. The battery on stock settings is not that great, but a quick fix to the problem is changing the screen brightness to a lower setting. All in all this is a great phone that is defiantly worth the money.

Pros

• big screen
  • super fast (especually when overclocked to 1420MHZ
  • roomy keyboard
  • android market

Cons

• speaker is on the quiet side

BusyBee
posted on 17 Oct 2010, 22:39

Sending My EVO Back

This phone is fast even when on the Edge network.  I compared it side by side to my EVO for 5 days.  My EVO was in and out of 4G service and except for two instances the G2 rendered web data faster.  While speed is not my biggest thing; speed is obviously the G2's 'thing'.  Everything worked well, no glitches.  Data sent to my gmail account was received 1 minute to 10 minutes faster on the T-mobile network (this happened in various locations).  It may just suggest the Sprint network is a bit more saturated with data users,   I'm in a strong network coverage area for both networks. The G2 screen is smaller than the EVO, but I found the intensity of color to be greater or deeper on the G2.  Because it's smaller; it's pocketable and easier to handle.The G2 has a 5MP camera to the EVO's 8MP camera, but the G2's pictures were better quality, in that the colors were realistic and when you zoomed into the picture you could see a lot more detail with the G2 shot (like stiches in a comforter).  The call quality on the G2 is that of a landline and in my opinion excellent.   I liked the Google Voice messaging.  This will work better for me in meetings and conferences.  I'm new to the GSM network, so the ability to talk and surf the network is a plus.  I'm on the go constantly, so if a call comes through and I have to validate something on-line without access to a desktop, I can do...

• Call quality
  • Picture quality

Cons

• Lacks Expresso version of SENSE UI... it would be nice if it could be added as an option
  • Included headset does little justice for phone's actual stereo sound
  • Speaker phone could be louder

jcchavez86
posted on 08 Oct 2010, 06:54 (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Oct 2010)

Simply Fast

An evolved form of the G1 that goes beyond what meets the eye. It has a sturdy design that lets me enjoy playing guitar hero world tour without having the feeling that the screen is going to break off. It actually looks like a solid tablet without a keyboard, but yet, pops out when you need it. This phone speed is unreal. There is no lag on games, even if you receive a text while playing. The 3D games are so smooth you will fall in love with this phone. Even my iphone friends wants to switch over after having a "feel" of this phone. It benchmarks even beyond the Droid X on Froyo, only competing with a 800mhz processor. This runs on the 2nd generation of snapdragon processors. This phone definitely surpassed my speed expectations, and I'm enjoying it.

Pros

• BATTERY!!!!
  • Charges Fast...
  • Speed...
  • Android with Google Vanilla UI...
  • Voice Search...
  • Browser Fast Rendering...

Cons

• No tethering settings option...

Steve Spence
posted on 07 Oct 2010, 17:52

I-Phone Killer

The first thing I did was attach the 2 piece cover cover (blue fade to black). The overall feel is heavy/solid and even kinda sexy looking, compared to other phones. The keyboard is easy to read and use. Many improvements over the G1. Everything is fast. The 7 screens, animated wallpaper, vibrate feedback, just makes it a classy and fun phone. The stereo bluetooth was another selling point, that I enjoyed with the G1.

Pros

• looks
  • quality
  • keyboard
  • performance
  • android

Cons

• can't videophone

Colin Sevier
posted on 06 Oct 2010, 14:50

Got mine on Oct 5th

OMG.. This phone is FAST!., and the features.. WOW.  Adobe Flash out of the box.  The flash sites are perfect.  The speech recognition is just awesome.  This phone is just perfect.  I replaced an HTC touch pro 2..  My wife has the mytouch.  This phone beats them all.