T-Mobile G1 User Reviews

Everyday usage7.5/10
UI speed7.5/10
Camera7.5/10

Diablo2424
posted on 13 Aug 2014, 09:47 (Posts: 13; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)

First Android Phone - not much else needs to be said

Diablo2424 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

This was the first android phone available to the public, running Android 1.5 Cupcake out of the box. Not too much else can be said about it. It was a great phone, had a unique keyboard slide out feature, great build quality from HTC, including the matte black, rubberized body. It was very sturdy, had great call quality and introduced what is now the Google Play Store with all of the fun apps cataloged nicely for us.

aaroser
posted on 06 Jun 2012, 08:52 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)

Aaroser

aaroser has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

Htc introduce more better esperience
it's world first Google Android smartphone
Display: 3.2 in (8.1 cm) TFT-LCD flat glass touch-sensitive HVGA screen with 480×320 pixel resolution and capacitive touchscreen.[20] Although the touchscreen hardware is capable of multitouch gestures, official releases of the Android OS (versions 1.0 to 1.6) Users can patch the supplied version of Android, update to Android 2.0 or later to make use of the multitouch screen.Keyboard: The HTC Dream has a sliding full 5 row QWERTY keyboard. I

Pros

• it's a world first Android smartphone
  • was the beginning of a milestone in the world of mobility

Cons

• notice that he was still a modest
  • some modest technical specifications

aaroser alternatives:

posted on 27 Nov 2009, 22:15

The T-Mobile G1 is the best phone I've ever had, (only had like 3 phones) had Cricket for 2 yrs, wasnt satisfied anymore, jump ship to T-Mobile, like I said G1 is the best phone yet for me.  Love the fact you can make it your own phone, such as having all the good icons on the center screen, then having two different screens to put other stuff on, got a screen for widgets and other two are downloaded - pre-downloaded apps.  Was gonna go for the myTouch, but decided against cause of the fact of a physical QWERTY keyboard, and virtual keyboards, got 3 different options style of keyboard, one good for driving, one good for work, and the other is good when just hanging out and chillin'.  Had issues with email, but found out that port 25 is blocked for a Cableone account and just put the outgoing server as Yahoo!'s and voila, works, love the pandora app, or even the fact that i can sync music to the device and still have substantial amount of space for more apps, love how contacts and calender events, etc... sync over the air with Gmail, so if i lose the device, or contacts get erased, BAM!!! i have copys in my Gmail account, cant go wrong with that.  All in all G1 is the best phone, but if myTouch had a physical keyboard i would of went with that, but hasnt happened.  Browser a little slow, but you can just get opera mini and be good.  design is alright, could be a little thinner but good enough.

Pros

• The way it works and handles, design, camera, market for apps, responsive

Cons

• Slow Browser

posted on 24 Nov 2009, 00:57

I am really impressed with htc dream -G1/android. I have had all the other brands and models but the htc dream spells the difference from the rest. I like the grip of the handset. It has the best quality features such as a very responsive touchscreen, fast internet connection either network provider gprs/ 3g or wifi. I like its interface and generally what i love about the handset is everything in it. The battery however is one of its downsides, and the the camera is totally unreliable during night time. The charging time is too long before it can be finally fully charged and it does not support video calling.

Pros

• - very impressive interface
  • - responsive/ sensitive touchscreen
  • - better/faster internet connection either network provider grprs/3g or wifi connectivity.
  • - unique secondary keyboard aside from the andriod/virtual keyboard.
  • - better resolution.

Cons

• - poor battery life
  • - longer charging hours
  • - camera is poor during night time or with a low light
  • - does not support video calling

Will.I.Am82
posted on 13 Oct 2009, 00:45

My T-Mobile & G1 Experience

It's fantastic. However, unfortunately, I allowed myself to be persuaded by my homeboy of 14 years to switch to T-Mobile shortly after I finished college because doing so would supposedly "1) save me money, 2) give me more plan perks for the money, 3) give me access to a great network that never gave him any problems, & 4) give me access to a 'revolutionary phone with a revolutionary phone operating system.'" Foolishly, after playing with his phone for 30 or so minutes, I knew I had to have something that seemed as amazing as it did. Since, at the time, I had been with Sprint for 5 years, I failed to look up current up-to-date plan offerings as well as some of their newest high-tech devices running on their network, and I somewhat reluctantly jumped ship, paying my ETF and all, to T-Mobile. I hadn't been with them since they were VoiceStream Wireless. Back then, they were consolidating and merging with other regional GSM networks nationwide to create their nationwide network to go up against what would be Cingular, Sprint, & all the companies that eventually formed Verizon, and basically, they were terrible. Dropped calls left and right. Sure, I was in the network map, but I digress...
I bought the G1. From the get-go, things, at first, seemed really awesome. It was my first smartphone, first touchscreen phone, and first slider. It's innovative approach to a mobile operating system actually taught me a lot about its initial concept, and helped me to see what many...

Pros

• -innovative OS beats the socks off iPhone due to its level of openness and diversity of apps that have unprecedented access to all core features of the OS
  • -OTA updates on a regular basis that actually make a real difference
  • -any manufacturer can adopt and modify the UI making it available in the future from a lot of manufacturers which will increase competition and encourage improvements across the board

Cons

• -G1 wasn't ready for release
  • -Android wasn't initially ready to be released when it debuted on G1
  • -T-Mobile is woefully behind the times in terms of their network expansion and technology

posted on 16 Sep 2009, 15:00

This phone is way better with the software update. keeps up with the iphone and touch pro 2!

Pros

• screen resolution
  • apps
  • colors
  • unlock pattern
  • responsive touch screen(just like iphone)
  • touch screen keyboards
  • feeling
  • camera is good durring the day
  • speakers

• no flash
  • android crashes
  • glass screen
  • trackball
  • buttons and keyboard are flat
  • call quality

kristen25821
posted on 31 Jul 2009, 18:35

G1

I love my G1. the only thing the battery is really bad so i turn off my wifi and gps (i dont use it anyway) plus it helps if you charge the phone turned off. also the camera is really bad so i would not get this phone if your a big camera person.
Other then that i love my phone.soooo many free apps and games.plus i love how its touchscreen and has a keyboard!

Pros

• free apps and games
  • touch screen and has a keyboard
  • nice big bright screen
  • durable

Cons

• bad battery and camera!

msjazz79
posted on 20 Jul 2009, 00:59 (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Jul 2009)

Msjazz79's review on the T-Mobile G1

Ive had my Tmobile G1 phone since January 2009. When I first received it within a week, I had to call Tmobile because the battery in the unit was overheating. So they promptly sent me out a replacement but unfortunately THAT one was defective and wouldn't even turn on. So by the third time, it was finally a charm, but still was having a battery overheating issue even by the third one, so when I called back Tmobile for a 4th time they offered to exchange it out again but I told them to just send me a battery replacement, because I didn't want to go through all the trouble again to download all the apps I had on it. So since I changed out the battery I have had better success.
Some great things about the phone are the different applications that are made for it to allow you to make your phone completely unique to you. One of my favorite apps is called OPEN HOME, it allows you to change your background screens, icon looks to such a degree that at first glance it makes you take a double take at the screen. I highly recommend the program another program I use is called BETTER KEYBOARD that allows you to change the look of the keyboard. Very nice. The Android Market is great for direct download of apps but I do wish that it had a software system connection for PC such as the Application store for the Apple Itouch and IPhone. I own an Apple Itouch and must say I do enjoy the convenience of going online checking reviews and seeing screenshots of the software before I decide to download...

Pros

• Operating system- Like the freedom Google has given to the OS system in regards to development and user friendly to understand features
  • Android Market- great pipeline to new software
  • Keyboard- I type so fast that Im not a big fan of the touchscreen keyboards, I prefer a physical one.

Cons

• Battery Life- To me drains fully within under 4 hours of regular not extreme usage
  • Camera- pictures are grainy even after auto-focus
  • Weight- it's a bit of a brick
  • Internal Memory- too little especially if you want to take advantage of Android Market

David441
posted on 04 Jun 2009, 13:28

just got better!!!

this new update on this phone just got better finaly a good camrecorder and more features now i love it more nice job android has improve.

Pros

• good key board
  • big screen
  • good apps

• slow sometimes

Abby
posted on 02 Jun 2009, 09:39

Good, as long as you don't need to use it to talk to anyone

Love the sync with my Google calendar and Gmail. Good texting. Nice Internet browsing. However, if you want to be able to speak with someone, you'll be disappointed. I can rarely complete a conversation in one call. I can hear about 50% of what the person is saying to me, and that's after asking them to repeat several times. I understand about 33% of the voice mails I receive. As others have said, the camera is terrible. It takes FOREVER to capture the picture, and it's often blurry.
The only thing that makes the phone worthwhile is everything except for actual phone use, so if you want to use the phone for talking, find something else. Also, if you are trying to cut costs and want to do without the data capability for a while, can't do it with this phone. You must have the G1 data plan for the phone to work - or so I was told by customer service.

Pros

• Calendar and Gmail sync
  • Good texting
  • Large screen
  • Recent software upgrade gave video capture ability (haven't used it yet) and the ability to save dialed or received numbers to contacts (why it wasn't created with that makes me wonder if the designers ever actually used a cell phone)

Cons

• Huge and bad battery life
  • Lots of butt-dials
  • While on the phone, if you need to press keys, it takes a few keystrokes to get there
  • Terrible for phone calls

campbellxx14
posted on 31 May 2009, 15:40

i was at a toss up between the sidekick, a bb, and the g1. i'm very phone savy, and in about 3 years total i've had 11 cellphones, 90% of them top of the line. i really wasn't sure that i was going to like the g1 from day 1, i've had it for a little over a month now, and i still dont like it. the phone freezes a all the time, the on screen keyboard is way to tiny. you cannot get very many good games at all. and it's just horrible. i should've gone with the sidekick.

Pros

• -big screen.
  • -good touch screen.
  • -comfortable letters
  • -good camera

Cons

• -horrible battery life.
  • -phone freezes
  • -no good games.
  • -slow internet.
  • -trackballs to small.

Ron
posted on 16 Mar 2009, 20:53

Love the Phone

I have had the phone for a few months now. Theres so much you can do with it. You'll never be bored with this phone.

Pros

• All the Apps
  • Unlimited possibilites of the phone can do
  • Large Touch screen
  • 3 colors to choose from

Cons

• internal memory very small
  • Sometimes can be slow

J520
posted on 27 Feb 2009, 00:52

love it!!

i have been back and forth about getting this phone since before it came out and i finally got it.. and to get to the point i love the phone.. my cousin got this phone and i was skeptical at first but i liked how it worked and the 3G in california was really fast.. my friend here at home got it and her battery sucked!! we work 8 to 5 and by 330 it was plugged into the wall.. i got it and its midnight right now and my battery is still at 30 percent and i text heavilly and talk on it also.. i love how the phone notifies you of everything.. i also love the keyboard its really spacious.. the track ball works with some applications and others it requires your finger to smudge up the screen :S there are two things i dont like with the phone. the first its super bulky.. so much for a sexy sleek phone huh.. and two you need an UBER steady hand to get the pictures to come out clear.. and they will come out.. :D i tried using the samsun behold before this one and with my fingers i needed keys and this is perfect for me i highly recommed this phone :D

Pros

• -good phone
  • -great keyboard
  • -pretty good battery life
  • -many applications
  • -very customizable home screen
  • -good email service

Cons

• -bulky
  • -camera needs a steady hand
  • -camera features could be added

Ranjan Maitra
posted on 24 Feb 2009, 14:34

50-50

There are a lot of positive reviews for this phone out there, but if they still are saying the same thing today than they were when they first bought it, they're lying.
Only when the phone is working does it work well.  And it needs to be backed by a hoard of aftermarket applications to be considered for this.
Hello AIM is a very good application for messaging--works like the real thing, cept it disconnects maybe 100-200 times a day.  An auto-sign in has fixed this, and soon there will be a setting for vibrating alerts only when a message comes, not when it signs in and out.
aTrackDog must be downloaded to keep up with the updates.
Close Everything is a must, it lenthens battery life.
The stock camera is beyond terrible, and the phone must be placed on a stable surface to work.  Otherwise, SnapPhoto can be used, but it is an aftermarket application.
ChompSMS, combined with <dg>Alert Prefs and SMS Popup are to die for.  IPhone cloned messaging with an IPhone cloned alert popup.
MyBackUp is a good application, but it seems annoying sometimes, and isnt polished.  The video recorder is made by someone in another country, and thus is not asthetically or grammatically pleasing at all.  It's amazing when it works--if it ever loads or doesnt crash the phone.
QuickCalender tells you a few of your upcoming events in the pulldown bar.
The pictures app continously crashes when browsing pictures.
SMSBackup is amazing--immediately and automatically backs...

Pros

• quick keyboard,
  • status light changes colours,
  • good touchscreen,
  • google chrome browser,
  • pull-down status bar,
  • amazing screen,
  • suports multitouch but not used due to apple patent,
  • root users can use phone for tethering without paying fees,
  • force close,
  • push snychronisation

Cons

• lags,
  • bad trackball (nothing like the bb's or the sk's),
  • force closes too often,
  • crashes and randomly restarts,
  • bulky on right side when typing,
  • no cut or paste,
  • terrible camera stability or video recording (if downloaded),
  • difficult access to sd card (requires a sharp object)..
  • it goes on..

that guy
posted on 25 Jan 2009, 01:27

After much debate over what phone to get in the past month, I decided on the G1, and I have to say I do not regret my decision. It has many features, its keyboard is great, and the web browsing is a groundbreaking experience. The most severe of my complaints is the battery life, though. It can run out very quickly.

Pros

• Great web browsing
  • Responsive and brilliant touch screen
  • Android Platform

Cons

• Camera (no zoom, very little features)
  • Not many applications in Android Market

Bowman
posted on 28 Dec 2008, 17:48

The G1

I did this about a month ago but here is my review and thoughs on the T-Mobile G1
Youtube Links for HQ videos

• Downloable Software
  • Android Platform

• Android Platform is still novice
  • Not too much in the Android Market yet but building up.
  • No Built in headphone Jack (adapter available now)

posted on 26 Dec 2008, 16:58

Great phone, honestly one of the best phones i've ever used. It's very comfortabe to hold and use. The thing that stands out the most is, this phone is  almost entirely customizable. So, if there's something you don't like, Android Market has a  replacment for ya. Plus Android Market is free.....enough said. I REALLY love how the text messaging is set up, for a heavy texter, it makes it very easy to keep track of  who your talking  to, who said what, ect. It's work almost like an IM service. Each conversation is devided into conversations with THAT person and it shows how many messages you havebetween each other (makes it easy to keep track if you dont have unlimited text). The camera is really clear too. The things  i don't ike about it however, is  the battery life. If you use it for JUST calling and texting, it's good. But if you use alot of applications the battery drains fairly fast, from the constant use. For instance i was using aim all day, so the battery clocked in at about 4 1/2 hours. GPS drains it fast as well, so if  you plan to use that, bring a charger. Also, there's no video recording program, no biggie tho. And no zoom on the camera.
Despite the cons, the phone is still amazing.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Customizable
  • great camera
  • Android Market
  • sound quality
  • Android Market (yup, twice....what can i say)
  • Text Messaging

Cons

• No flash or zooom
  • No recording
  • Battery life can drain fast
  • some apps can freeze it up

byrd
posted on 25 Dec 2008, 23:42

I Love It

The G1 has many capabilities other phones dont and i jus love it

M
posted on 17 Dec 2008, 17:08

I Like This Phone A lot

A pretty good design. Only complaint was the little round edge at the bottom. It has incredible features including the android and a 3.2 megapixle camera. The performance was very good. It was not slow and was very responsive.

Pros

• - Google Android
  • - 3.2 Megapixel camera
  • - Responsive Touch Screen
  • - Not too many bugs

Cons

• - This is just the beginning of android. The android will mature.

T-MO fan
posted on 09 Dec 2008, 14:41

G1 review

Well i got the G1 on sunday (12/7/08) and it has been amazing! it feels good in the hand, touch screen is responsive, OS is cool, and the Android Market is nice. The key board is pretty good to use. At first when you use it, it feels weird, like the chin gets in your way, but after a few times of using it it feel fine. The web browser is also very good.

Pros

• Good feel
  • Good keyboard
  • Responsive touch screen
  • Lots of Apps to download
  • Decent camera

Cons

• Battery life drains down a little too quickly if you use too many apps
  • No video recording on camera

Atanas
posted on 25 Nov 2008, 16:54 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Oct 2008)

T-Mobile G1

The T-Mobile G1 is the first cell phone with Google's new Android OS. Key features include a full slide out QWERTY style keyboard, 3G data, HSPDA, Wifi, Google maps with street view, 3.2 megapixel camera, music player and touchscreen.
What’s Good: Android experience is excellent; Web browser is amongst best available on cell phones; Great touchsreen; Touchscreen plus trackball plus QWERTY board provides multiple input options; Notifications bar is handy; Great GMail & Google services implementation; 3G and WiFi for fast data speeds; Amazon provides DRM-free mp3 downloads via WiFi
What’s Not Good: Big, bulky, heavy, and not particularly attractive; QWERTY thumbboard is not as good as those on other recent HTC phones; Lacks 3.5mm headphone jack; No Stereo Bluetooth or video capture/playback support out of the box

Pros

• Very sensitive 3.2'' touchscreen with HVGA(320x480) resolution
  • Android OS
  • Full QWERTY keyboard and Trackball
  • Amazon market
  • Wi-Fi
  • 3G
  • GPS with Google Maps
  • Great Browser
  • 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus
  • YouTube videos

Cons

• Ugly design
  • No 3.5mm headphone jack
  • No video capture/player
  • No Stereo Bluetooth
  • No second video-call camera

german
posted on 06 Nov 2008, 22:23

the g1 phone

i havent bought this phone but i have used it since my friend has it and wow that phone is really nice, way better than a sidekick, way  way better!

Pros

• big screen
  • nice vivd display
  • responsiive screen
  • apps are the shizz

Cons

• feels cheap
  • menu ,back and home buttons aare confusing
  • frezes(sometimes)
  • no flash wtf?!
  • very bulky

Panacea224
posted on 31 Oct 2008, 01:35

One of the best I've used

The t-mobile G1, while lacking a few features, is one of the best handsets I've used. Previous to owning a G1 I had a Nokia E71, prior to that I had a Nokia N95, both of which were simply amazing devices. However the easy to use o.s., great keyboard, and great touchscreen on the G1 trumps them, overall. In addition, the app market has the potential to offer nearly unlimited capabilities. While the body of the phone isn't very pretty it is very functional.

Pros

• Very responsive touchscreen
  • beautiful HVGA screen
  • trackball
  • Easy to use full keyboard
  • Android O.S.
  • 3G
  • Great Browser
  • Very helpful and functional notification bar
  • Google "cloud" sync works great
  • android market
  • good camera

Cons

• no video recording
  • no stereo bluetooth
  • average/mediocre battery life
  • no zoom on camera

Kevin Oldham
posted on 28 Oct 2008, 00:53

Awesome phone!

I've loved it so far. The only complaint I've had about it was battery life. Although, it turns out that mine's a dud and I'm getting it fixed. It's incredibly simple to use and navigate.

Pros

• GPS
  • Easy to use
  • Browser easy to navigate
  • Messaging as easy as could be
  • Auto sync to google account
  • Quick and easy maps

Cons

• No on screen keyboard
  • Average battery life (good for 3G though)
  • Volume control and vibrate are controlled separately. Can't mix them like other phones.
  • Slightly large, although not as bad as i expected

posted on 22 Oct 2008, 21:56

It's a nice phone. The trackball on the bottom is smooth rolling. The touchscreen is very responsive. Big display, well-spaced keyboard. Comes with all the bells and whistles a high-end phone should have.

Pros

• 3G
  • WiFi
  • GPS
  • Trackball
  • Good touchscreen
  • Well spaced keyboard
  • Good camera

Cons

• 3G...... It's T-Mobile, they have a very small and young 3G network as of now
  • GPS doesn't work great in buildings or low-lying areas
  • The "chin" on the bottom gets in the way of typing with your right hand
  • Has a cheapo look thanks to the plastic
  • Camera doesn't have flash