Sony Xperia Z1 Compact User Reviews
Overal user rating
The overall rating is the average of all user reviews, while the overall alternatives are the ones that has been listed most.
Build quality9/10Text input9.4/10Everyday usage9.8/10UI speed9.8/10Camera7.8/10Multimedia9.4/10Internet9.4/10Call quality9.2/10Battery9.6/10Reception9.6/10Display9.6/10
Post new review
Please note that each user review reflects the opinion of its respectful author and not of Phone Arena.
posted on 07 Jun 2014, 15:04 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Jun 2014)
cemaydinlik has owned it for less than month before publishing this review
Base OS system. You can feel omni balance design at the first touch. Display is symmetrical relative to the phone frame. Build quality really nice with metal frame and rigit.
Xperia interface is purely clear, simple, serious and fast. Xperia Z1 Compact has special hardware and software than other android phone. Result: It is really compact Z not mini :)Build quality 10/10Reception 10/10Call quality 10/10Internet 10/10Multimedia 10/10Camera 10/10UI speed 10/10Everyday usage 10/10Text input 10/10Display 10/10Battery 10/10
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Do you?Report
posted on 04 Jun 2014, 12:06 (Posts: 0; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
The Right Size for me
jeangenelee has owned it for less than month before publishing this review
The phone fits just nice into my hand and I can type with one hand easily. Though it's a mini version, it retains the high specs of its original parent. It's sad that apps cannot be moved into SD card, makes me feel that the SD card compartment is redundant. The battery life is really long- lasting but gets heated up easily when gaming.Build quality 9/10Reception 9/10Call quality 9/10Internet 9/10Multimedia 10/10Camera 8/10UI speed 10/10Everyday usage 10/10Text input 7/10Display 10/10Battery 10/10
- Size fits well into one hand
- Display brightness adapts to surrounding brightness
- Simple and slick UI
- Long battery life
- Battery gets heated up easily
1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Do you?Report
posted on 12 May 2014, 13:37 (Posts: 454; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
RandomUsername has owned it for less than year before publishing this review
I always wanted to have a compact high-end waterproof phone, and the Z1 Compact fits the bill nicely. So far, I'm pretty happy with this phone. At the beginning I've had some problems, but most of them were solved with updates. I hope Sony with get the camera processing in line with the Z2, because it seems it does much better with the same camera. Anyway, if you want a compact phone that looks good and is waterproof, the Z1 compact is your only choice ;)Build quality 9/10Reception 9/10Call quality 9/10Internet 9/10Multimedia 8/10Camera 9/10UI speed 9/10Everyday usage 9/10Text input 10/10Display 8/10Battery 9/10
- IP58 certified
- Great design
- Fast processor
- Simple UI without too much bloat
- Scratch-prone back
- Some software bugs
- Touchscreen sensitivity subpar
4 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Do you?Report
posted on 05 Apr 2014, 13:32 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Apr 2014)
A small beast.
anon-master has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review
I've been a loyal Nokia user before switching to Android. I've always had an eye on Sony, I've found them more interesting and unique Android phones than Samsung, HTC, LG or Motorolla. And I didn't want a mammoth 5-incher, so decided to wait for something more hand friendly. Thankfully Sony came up with the beasty Xperia Z1 Compact. I've had it since its release in February and can confidently say it's the best phone I've had so far. Solid build, stylish design, simple and distinctive custom UI, top of the line specs, lightning fast performance, beautiful and bright display, loud and clear call quality, excellent camera. The 2300mAh battery is properly long (3-4 days with moderate use), but given the display's 720p resolution, it shouldn't be a surprise. My only gripe is that the audio output is average, could've been louder. Other than that, I recommend this phone to anyone looking for a sizeable alternative to an iPhone without compromising on specs.Build quality 10/10Reception 10/10Call quality 9/10Internet 9/10Multimedia 9/10Camera 9/10UI speed 10/10Everyday usage 10/10Text input 10/10Display 10/10Battery 10/10
- Solid build
- Stylish design
- Beautiful display
- Excellent camera
- Properly long battery
- Clear call quality
- Simple and distinctive UI
- Smooth performance
- Average audio output
11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Do you?Report
posted on 27 Mar 2014, 07:14 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Not as good as I expected it to be
ramzissimo has owned it for less than month before publishing this review
1. Build quality: Though the phone feels premium and looks fine, it got several scratches on its back cover. When I checked later, it turned out that this back cover is not made of glass as Sony claimed in early its ads, but from some very scratch-prone plastic. Both sides of the phone are real fingerprint magnets.
2. Camera: Honestly, the Z1 Compact camera is the most painful disappointment. I snap 90% of my pictures indoors, in low-light conditions... and all I have now is grainy photos with the poorest details and worst resolution. You will not probably believe me if I tell you that my 3 year-old Nokia N8 takes much better photos than my 3-week old Z1 Compact. As for video recording, the Compact's camera is excellent, no matter what the recording environment is.
3. Screen flickering: This happened to me at least 10 times since I bought the phone. The screen will just start flickering for no reason and keep turning features like Airplane mode on and off. It won't stop until I reset the device with the red key.
4. Very low volume: The sounds on the Z1 Compact are simply not loud enough, either for ringtones and notifications or for music and video playback.
5. Unpromising software update: Like any other XPERIA owner, I was very excited when Sony announced the 4.4.2 update. However, I was more disappointed than ever when I read the comments here and there about the issues that this update has caused: Quick battery draining, wrong loudspeaker path, Micro SD issues etc......Build quality 7/10Reception 10/10Call quality 9/10Internet 10/10Multimedia 10/10Camera 3/10UI speed 10/10Everyday usage 10/10Text input 10/10Display 10/10Battery 9/10
- Premium feel
- Good battery
- Strong 4G/LTE network
- Bright display
- Low loudspeaker volume
- Very scratch-prone back cover
- A REAL Fingerprint magnet
- Horrible photo quality in low-light
13 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Do you?Report