Sony Xperia Z1 Compact User Reviews

Internet9.5/10
Battery9.5/10
Build quality8.5/10

anon-master
posted on 05 Apr 2014, 13:32 (Posts: 0; Member since: 05 Apr 2014)

A small beast.

anon-master has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I've been a loyal Nokia user before switching to Android. I've always had an eye on Sony, I've found them more interesting and unique Android phones than Samsung, HTC, LG or Motorolla. And I didn't want a mammoth 5-incher, so decided to wait for something more hand friendly. Thankfully Sony came up with the beasty Xperia Z1 Compact. I've had it since its release in February and can confidently say it's the best phone I've had so far. Solid build, stylish design, simple and distinctive custom UI, top of the line specs, lightning fast performance, beautiful and bright display, loud and clear call quality, excellent camera. The 2300mAh battery is properly long (3-4 days with moderate use), but given the display's 720p resolution, it shouldn't be a surprise. My only gripe is that the audio output is average, could've been louder. Other than that, I recommend this phone to anyone looking for a sizeable alternative to an iPhone without compromising on specs.

Build quality 10/10 Solidly built, premium feel. Forget the plastic back nonsense. Sure it's odd that Sony brought the mishap up only after releasing the phone, and yes there are a few scratches on both back and front of my phone, but they are barely visible to the naked eye. No more than the microscopic scratches on the AMOLED Gorilla Glass display of my previous Nokia. It does attract fingerprints, but that's what you always get with a glass/plastic body.
Call quality 9/10 Call quality in general is top notch. Loud and clear, may be a bit troublesome in noisy environments, but that's really minor.
Internet 9/10 4G connectivity is fast and fluid. The default Android browser is simple to use, occasionally freezes when working heavy pages. Youtube playback however is an annoyance, better to use another browser for it or download the Youtube app from the Play store.
Multimedia 9/10 HD movie playback, demanding games like GTA Vice City and Deus Ex: The Fall run smooth as glass. The headphone output could've been louder, but at least the EQ of the Walkman music player (or any downloadable player from the Play store) does the job with a proper set of headphones.
Camera 9/10 Camera overall is one of the best I've used. The difference between the default 16:9 8 megapixels and the manual 4:3 20.7mp is disappointingly minimal, but nonetheless captures sharp detailed stills with accurate natural colours. Only the Lumia cameras beat it.
UI speed 10/10 Sony's custom UI is much more stylish and simple than stock Android. It works lightning fast, no lag, no bugs. I'm still running 4.3, decided to wait for a later update after reading about the changes and issues the Kitkat UI had brought.
Display 10/10 Finally Sony has solved the viewing angles issue. Not only that, the display's sharpness and crisp colours are as good as that of an iPhone or any AMOLED display. Thank Sony for compromising the display resolution. You get longer battery runtime. 1080p would've been overkill for this phone, besides 720x1280 is just perfect. You'd need to have telescopic sight to notice the pixel difference.
Battery 10/10 Battery is a beast. Holds 3-4 days easily with constant wifi or 4G and music player on. Bear in mind, 1080p would've easily cut the battery runtime in half or more.

Pros

• Solid build
  • Stylish design
  • Beautiful display
  • Excellent camera
  • Properly long battery
  • Clear call quality
  • Simple and distinctive UI
  • Smooth performance

Cons

• Average audio output

ramzissimo
posted on 27 Mar 2014, 07:14 (Posts: 0; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)

Not as good as I expected it to be

ramzissimo has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

1. Build quality: Though the phone feels premium and looks fine, it got several scratches on its back cover. When I checked later, it turned out that this back cover is not made of glass as Sony claimed in early its ads, but from some very scratch-prone plastic. Both sides of the phone are real fingerprint magnets.

2. Camera: Honestly, the Z1 Compact camera is the most painful disappointment. I snap 90% of my pictures indoors, in low-light conditions... and all I have now is grainy photos with the poorest details and worst resolution. You will not probably believe me if I tell you that my 3 year-old Nokia N8 takes much better photos than my 3-week old Z1 Compact. As for video recording, the Compact's camera is excellent, no matter what the recording environment is.

3. Screen flickering: This happened to me at least 10 times since I bought the phone. The screen will just start flickering for no reason and keep turning features like Airplane mode on and off. It won't stop until I reset the device with the red key.

4. Very low volume: The sounds on the Z1 Compact are simply not loud enough, either for ringtones and notifications or for music and video playback.

5. Unpromising software update: Like any other XPERIA owner, I was very excited when Sony announced the 4.4.2 update. However, I was more disappointed than ever when I read the comments here and there about the issues that this update has caused: Quick battery draining, wrong loudspeaker path, Micro SD issues etc......

Build quality 7/10 Though the phone feels premium and looks fine, it got several scratches on its back cover. When I checked later, it turned out that this back cover is not made of glass as Sony claimed in early its ads, but from some very scratch-prone plastic. Add injury to insult: The screen protectors that could minimise this issue are not available in Saudi Arabia, and even if they were, they don't have the Sony logo on them.
Camera 3/10 Honestly, the Z1 Compact camera is the most painful disappointment. I snap 90% of my pictures indoors, in low-light conditions... and all I have now is grainy photos with the poorest details and worst resolution. You will not probably believe me if I tell you that my 3 year-old Nokia N8 takes much better photos than my 2-week old Z1 Compact.

Pros

• Premium feel
  • Good battery
  • Strong 4G/LTE network
  • Bright display

Cons

• Low loudspeaker volume
  • Very scratch-prone back cover
  • A REAL Fingerprint magnet
  • Horrible photo quality in low-light